[✔️] March 12, 2024 Global Warming News | Radical rant, American Resiliency, Whiplash, McKibben meets Hagens, Humor from Yellow Dot, 2016 Heidi Cullen

Tue Mar 12 08:12:37 EDT 2024

/*March*//*12, 2024*/

/[ Climate radical with a strong critical voice - "Pessimism of the
intellect, optimism of the will" - "There are no non-radical futures" ]/
*Climate Change: Choosing to Fail, with Climate Scientist Kevin Anderson*
Climate Chat
Streaming 3-11-24
In this Climate Chat episode, we interview climate scientist Kevin
Anderson for a 2nd time. Out first, audio-only, interview in May 2021
was one of the most listened to Climate Chat programs. Kevin tells it
like it is and does not sugarcoat the situation. We will discuss carbon
budgets and global temperatures, the desirability of carbon dioxide
removal (CDR) and Sunlight Reflection Methods (SRM), and get Kevin's
view on James Hansen's recent "Pipeline" paper. We will also discuss why
society has so far chosen to fail on addressing climate change and what
we can do if we decide to choose to succeed.
Kevin's home page: https://tyndall.ac.uk/people/kevin-anderson/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InpgQxNJ-gg

[ TELL THE KIDS -- this may be the place to resettle ]
*Wisconsin Report: Ground and Social Conditions*
American Resiliency
  Mar 11, 2024
Folks, if Wisconsin's not on your radar, it oughta be.  I was very
impressed by the social and ground conditions I observed in Wisconsin
last week.  Here's some notes from my journey with highlights on the
Driftless, Green Bay, and Madison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsBSMepfKlM

/[  Whiplash is a new weather term ]/
*Weather Whiplashing and Jetstream Waviness*
Climate Emergency Forum
The Climate Emergency Forum welcomes Dr. Jennifer Francis to discuss two
of her recent papers on Weather Whiplashing, which is defined as an
abrupt shift from one persistent set of often extreme weather conditions
to another.

This video was recorded on February 27th, 2024, and published on March
10th, 2024.

Dr. Francis introduces the concept of weather whiplashing and provides
examples like sudden temperature drops and shifts from drought to heavy
rain, highlighting the impact of these events on regions like Florida
and California. Dr. Francis explains how weather whiplash events are
diagnosed by analyzing patterns in the jet stream using self-organizing
maps, emphasizing the role of the Arctic's warming in increasing the
frequency of these events.

The dialogue delves into the intricate relationship between atmospheric
patterns, jet stream dynamics, and weather phenomena. Dr. Francis
illustrates how anomalies in the upper-level atmosphere can lead to
significant shifts in weather patterns, affecting regions like Florida
with freeze events and temperature extremes. She discusses the use of AI
tools to analyze atmospheric patterns over time and predict future
trends in weather whiplash events, particularly focusing on scenarios
where the Arctic's warming plays a crucial role in driving these shifts.

Participants engage in a thought-provoking discussion on the
complexities of jet stream behavior, climate factors influencing
atmospheric dynamics, and implications for global weather patterns.
Questions raised by participants highlight key aspects such as
variations in jet stream configurations, heat transfer between equator
and poles, and the impact of Arctic warming on jet stream speed and
waviness.

Dr. Francis addresses inquiries about ocean currents' correlation with
jet stream patterns and explains how subtleties in jet streams affect
phenomena like record low transit times for airplanes flying across
continents. The dialogue underscores the interdisciplinary nature of
climate research and the interconnectedness of various environmental
factors shaping our planet's weather systems.
Links:

    - Measuring “Weather Whiplash” Events in North America: A New
    Large-Scale Regime Approach – J.Francis et al. - Sep. 7, 2022
    https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.c...
    - Weather whiplash events in Europe and North Atlantic assessed as
    continental-scale atmospheric regime shifts – J.Francis et al. -
    Dec. 21, 2023

https://www.nature.com/articles/s4161...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS_0GNk_CfE

[ McKibben meets Hagens ]
*Bill McKibben on the Material Intensity of an Energy Transition*
Nate Hagens
Mar 11, 2024  #102 #thegreatsimplification #natehagens
Excerpted from The Great Simplification Episode #102 aired on December
20th, 2023
Full Episode: https://youtu.be/qCrgpdHCO3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h4wwE1UFHE

/[  Sarcastic video humor from Yellow Dot studios  ]/
*Car Commercial 419*
Yellow Dot Studios
Feb 21, 2024
SUBSCRIBE: https://bit.ly/YellowDot-Subscribe

"So make a date today to see the USA, and see it in your Chevrolet!"

Yellow Dot Studios presents: Car Commercial 419

Conceived by Adam McKay
Edited by Hank Corwin - lost planet
Produced by Staci Roberts-Steele
"Momento Mori" written and performed by Nicholas Britell, courtesy of
Netflix Music LLC

ABOUT:
Yellow Dot Studios is a non-profit production studio founded by Academy
Award-winning writer-director-producer Adam McKay to fight back on
climate disinformation and inaction.

CONNECT:
WEB: https://yellowdotstudios.com
NEWSLETTER: https://bit.ly/YellowDot-Signup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3ZA76dttys/
/

/[The news archive -  ]/
/*March 12, 2016 */
March 12, 2016:
In a New York Times op-ed, climate scientist Heidi Cullen observes:

    And sometimes it is easier to blame climate change than acknowledge
    inaction in the face of factors unrelated to the weather. For
    example, in a severe drought plaguing southeastern Brazil —
    including São Paulo, with a surrounding metropolitan population of
    about 20 million — some were quick to blame global warming. But in
    analyzing the underlying causes of this drought, my colleagues and I
    found, in a study published last year, that climate change was not a
    major influence. Instead, population growth, increasing water
    consumption and leaky pipes were the real culprits.

    Science is giving us an increasingly clear picture of how global
    warming is changing the weather. Still greater investment in
    research is needed to ensure that we’re making the best possible
    decisions to protect our communities. We may not always like what we
    learn, but we can be certain that unless we take immediate action to
    slow climate change, its influence on our lives will only intensify.

          Heidi Cullen is chief scientist at Climate Central, a climate
    research and communications organization, and the author of “The
    Weather of the Future.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/11/opinion/what-weather-is-the-fault-of-climate-change.html?ref=opinion

   5 weekday
Every weekday morning

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers.  Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli