[✔️] March 13, 2024 Global Warming News | Out of control climate, Factor in 2024 election, Banana prices up, Oceans, Gelbspan's hope, 2001 Bush fails

Wed Mar 13 08:52:19 EDT 2024

/*March*//*13, 2024*/

[ Calm down, understand the science  ]
*Shocking Global Temperature Extremes Show an Out of Control Climate*
Paul Beckwith
Mar 12, 2024
In this video, I teach you how to access and examine climate datasets
using very simple-to-use tools provided by Copernicus Climate Change
Service (C3S) free tools.

Learn how to impress your friends by expertly showing them climate
datasets at the touch of a few buttons.

I also chat about the Copernicus summary article on what happened
globally in February-2024 and also in our Boreal Winter (also called
Meteorological Winter), namely Dec-Jan-Feb.

I also chat about an awesome article by Bill McGuire on climate
scientists anguish and terror.

Here are the relevant links:

1 — “SCIENTIST TERRIFIED BY HOW THE CLIMATE IS FALLING APART”:
https://futurism.com/the-byte/scientist-terrified-climate-falling-apart

2 — “Copernicus: February 2024 was globally the warmest on record –
Global Sea Surface Temperatures at record high”:
https://climate.copernicus.eu/copernicus-february-2024-was-globally-warmest-record-global-sea-surface-temperatures-record-high

3 — Copernicus Climate Pulse tool: https://pulse.climate.copernicus.eu/

4 — Copernicus Climate Atlas tool: https://atlas.climate.copernicus.eu/atlas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhSbUWW1ya0

/[ clips from article - science connects to politics ]/
*Climate change matters to more and more people – and could be a
deciding factor in the 2024 election*
Published: March 12, 2024
Matt Burgess
Assistant Professor of Environmental Studies, University of Colorado Boulder
If you ask American voters what their top issues are, most will point to
kitchen-table issues like the economy, inflation, crime, health care or
education.
Fewer than 5% of respondents in 2023 and 2024 Gallup surveys said that
climate change was the most important problem facing the country.
Despite this, research that I conducted with my colleages suggests that
concern about climate change has had a significant effect on voters’
choices in the past two presidential elections. Climate change opinions
may even have had a large enough effect to change the 2020 election
outcome in President Joe Biden’s favor. This was the conclusion of an
analysis of polling data that we published on Jan. 17, 2024, through the
University of Colorado’s Center for Social and Environmental Futures.
What explains these results, and what effect might climate change have
on the 2024 election?
*Measuring climate change’s effect on elections*
... Using two different statistical models, we estimated that climate
change opinion could have shifted the 2020 national popular vote margin
(Democratic vote share minus Republican vote share) by 3% or more toward
Biden. Using an Electoral College model, we estimated that a 3% shift
would have been large enough to change the election outcome in his favor.

These patterns echo the results of a November 2023 poll. This poll found
that more voters trust the Democrats’ approach to climate change,
compared to Republicans’ approach to the issue...

*What might explain the effect of climate change on voting*
So, if most voters – even Democrats – do not rank climate change as
their top issue, how could climate change opinion have tipped the 2020
presidential election?

Our analysis could not answer this question directly, but here are three
educated guesses:

First, recent presidential elections have been extremely close. This
means that climate change opinion would not need to have a very large
effect on voting to change election outcomes. In 2020, Biden won Georgia
by about 10,000 votes – 0.2% of the votes cast – and he won Wisconsin by
about 20,000 votes, 0.6% of votes cast.

Second, candidates who deny that climate change is real or a problem
might turn off some moderate swing voters, even if climate change was
not those voters’ top issue. The scientific evidence for climate change
being real is so strong that if a candidate were to deny the basic
science of climate change, some moderate voters might wonder whether to
trust that candidate in general.

Third, some voters may be starting to see the connections between
climate change and the kitchen-table issues that they consider to be
higher priorities than climate change. For example, there is strong
evidence that climate change affects health, national security, the
economy and immigration patterns in the U.S. and around the world.

*Where the candidates stand*
Biden and former President Donald Trump have very different records on
climate change and approaches to the environment.

Trump has previously called climate change a “hoax.”

In 2017, Trump withdrew the U.S. from the Paris Agreement, an
international treaty that legally commits countries to reduce their
greenhouse gas emissions.

Biden reversed that decision in 2021.

While in office, Trump rolled back 125 environmental rules and policies
aimed at protecting the country’s air, water, land and wildlife, arguing
that these regulations hurt businesses.

Biden has restored many of these regulations. He has also added several
new rules and regulations, including a requirement for businesses to
publicly disclose their greenhouse gas emissions.

Biden has also signed three major laws that each provides tens of
billions in annual spending to address climate change. Two of those laws
were bipartisan.

On the other hand, the U.S. has also become the world’s largest producer
of oil and gas, and the largest exporter of natural gas, during Biden’s
term.

In the current campaign, Trump has promised to eliminate subsidies for
renewable energy and electric vehicles, to increase domestic fossil fuel
production and to roll back environmental regulations. In practice, some
of these efforts could face opposition from congressional Republicans,
in addition to Democrats.

Public opinion varies on particular climate policies that Biden has enacted.

Nonetheless, doing something about climate change remains much more
popular than doing nothing. For example, a November 2023 Yale survey
found 57% of voters would prefer a candidate who supports action on
global warming over a candidate who opposes action.

*What this means for 2024*
Our study found that between the 2016 and the 2020 presidential
elections, climate change became increasingly important to voters, and
the importance voters assign to climate change became increasingly
predictive of voting for the Democrats. If these trends continue, then
climate change could provide the Democrats with an even larger electoral
advantage in 2024.

Of course, this does not necessarily mean that the Democrats will win
the 2024 election. For example, our study estimated that climate change
gave the Democrats an advantage in 2016, and yet Trump still won that
election because of other issues. Immigration is currently the top issue
for a plurality of voters, and recent national polls suggest that Trump
currently leads the 2024 presidential race over Biden.

Although a majority of voters currently prefer the Democrats’ climate
stances, this need not always be true. For example, Democrats risk
losing voters when their policies impose economic costs, or when they
are framed as anti-capitalist, racial, or overly pessimistic. Some
Republican-backed climate policies, like trying to speed up renewable
energy projects, are popular.

Nonetheless, if the election were held today, the totality of evidence
suggests that most voters would prefer a climate-conscious candidate,
and that most climate-conscious voters currently prefer a Democrat.
https://theconversation.com/climate-change-matters-to-more-and-more-people-and-could-be-a-deciding-factor-in-the-2024-election-222680

/[  really?  It takes an "expert" to predict this? ]/
*Banana prices to go up as temperatures rise, says expert*
By Matt McGrath,
Environment correspondent
Bananas are set to get more expensive as climate change hits a
much-loved fruit, one of the world's top experts from the industry tells
BBC News.

Pascal Liu, senior economist at the UN's Food and Agriculture
Organisation, says climate impacts pose an "enormous threat" to supply,
compounding the impacts of fast-spreading diseases.

The World Banana Forum meets in Rome on Tuesday to discuss the challenges.
Some UK shops recently experienced banana shortages due to sea storms.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-68534309

/[  must read report on the State of the Oceans ]/
THIS DOCUMENT IS INTERACTIVE!
*ABOUT THE  OCEAN STATE REPORT*
SUMMARY

    The EU Copernicus Ocean State Report (OSR) is an annual publication
    of the Copernicus Marine Service, which is implemented by Mercator
    Ocean International. The report  provides state-of-the-art,
    scientific knowledge about the current conditions, natural
    variations, and ongoing changes in the European regional seas and
    the global ocean.  It is meant to act as a reference for the
    scientific community, national and international bodies,
    decision-makers, blue economy actors, and the general public.
    Using model data and satellite and in situ measurements, this
    integrated description of the ocean state feeds into a
    four-dimensional view (latitude, longitude, depth, and time) of the
    Blue, Green, and White Ocean. The Blue Ocean describes the physical
    state of the ocean, including sea surface temperature, sea level,
    ocean currents, waves, salinity, and ocean heat content. The Green
    Ocean describes the biological and biogeochemical state of the
    ocean, including nutrient concentrations, ocean acidification, and
    deoxygenation. The White Ocean refers to the lifecycle of floating
    ice within the polar regions, including the extent, volume, and
    thickness of sea ice. The Ocean State Report draws on expert
    analysis written by nearly 100  scientific experts from various
    European and international institutions. Scientific integrity is
    assured through a process of independent peer review in
    collaboration with the State of the Planet journal from Copernicus
    Publications.

[ explore the full report ]
https://sp.copernicus.org/articles/1-osr7/index.html
https://indd.adobe.com/view/8a7ac02c-ce4e-4760-a6bc-a50217970267

/[ "Honest hope" - Classic essay from Ross Gelbspan ]/
*The Climate Movement and the Liabilities of Hope*
Ross Gelbspan

           The inner fire of hope propels perseverance and, occasionally
in the face of overwhelming odds, breathtaking resolve.

          In all those contexts, hope was the seed of collective heroism.

          Sometimes it is only when we relinquish hope that we can fully
understand our situation and accurately pursue the course of action it
requires.

          Hope excited us with the potential of digital technology.
Computers, we were told, would do the work of millions of people. That
hope blinded us to the need for a social policy to distribute the
profits from the tsunami of computer-generated accomplishments – and to
accommodate the millions of people who have lost their jobs to machines.

          Hope can blind.

          Of course, we need quickly to rewire the world with non-carbon
energy sources.  The principle of any new energy infrastructure is
simple:  burn nothing.  But the speed with which we reduce our burning
of coal and oil is no longer directly linked to the speed with which
changes in the natural world arewill proceeding. We have already
triggered an array of feedbacks many of which we have barely begun to
understand, and many which we have yet to discover.

Nature operates according to her own internal timetable. She is not
waiting for us humans to achieve a cost-effective way to reduce carbon
emissions.

          Regardless of how many coal plants are replaced by wind farms,
we will still see a progression of crop failures, water shortages,
uncontrolled migrations of people whose lands become uninhabitable, and
national budgets strained to their breaking points by successions of
increasingly destructive extreme weather events.

          Were they to do so, they would see that there is a far more
immediate and pressing challenge.
          In the face of breakdowns, it is not hard to imagine
governments resorting to states of emergency – nor is it hard to imagine
states of emergency morphing into permanent states of siege.

          Environmentalists should be mobilizing other activist groups,
business leaders and civil society proponents around the world to work
with governments to prepare to manage the coming crash.

The failure to do so will inevitably lead to increased international
conflict and domestic repression.

The climate crisis offers is an opportunity to begin to reshape
civilization based on our highest common aspirations and powered by our
unprecedented technological capabilities. But it requires a strong dose
of intellectual honesty.

        Unfortunately activists today continue to funnel virtually all
their time and energy into defeating the carbon lobby.

The longer they cling to that misleading hope, the less likely we are to
prepare to manage -- as effectively and humanely as possible – the
period of coming chaos.

          Honest hope comes from looking a hard reality in the eye.

                                            -- Ross Gelbspan © 2015

https://www.heatisonline.org/contentserver/objecthandlers/index.cfm?id=8714&method=full

/[ The news archive -  ]/
/*March 13, 2001 */
March 13, 2001: The Bush administration announces that it will not
regulate carbon dioxide emissions from power plants, abandoning a
campaign pledge under pressure from the fossil fuel industry.

http://www.heatisonline.org/contentserver/objecthandlers/index.cfm?id=3657&method=full

https://web.archive.org/web/20220601042814/http://www.heatisonline.org/

   5 weekday
Every weekday morning

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers.  Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli