[✔️] March 18, 2024 Global Warming News | Reasonable preparation, NOAA predictions, Unavoidable future, Quick lesson in Greenhouse, Yellow dot humor, 2013 USA Today Katrina

Mon Mar 18 05:32:22 EDT 2024

/*March*//*18, 2024*/

/[ First suggestion:  "don't be a nut-job" ]/
*Thinking about 2024: What is Reasonable Preparation?*
American Resiliency
Sep 14, 2023
This is a longer and more serious video, talking about what makes sense
when we think about building resilience for the near future. I share the
scenarios for which I prepare, my mindset behind my preparations, and
the sort of goals I recommend for people who are just starting out.
If you are interested, this is the most recent update from NOAA about
the current El Nino system:
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdR3UWpY5FQ

- -

/[ NOAA Climate Prediction Center - March 11, 2024 --  this is a good
document to open ]/
*ENSO: Recent Evolution, Current Status and Predictions *
Recent Evolution and Current Conditions
Oceanic Niño Index (ONI)
Pacific SST Outlook
U.S. Seasonal Precipitation and Temperature Outlooks
- -
ENSO Alert System Status: El Niño Advisory / La Niña Watch
El Niño conditions are observed.*updated monthly
Equatorial sea surface temperatures (SSTs) are above average across the
central and eastern Pacific Ocean.
The tropical Pacific atmospheric anomalies are consistent with El Niño.
A transition from El Niño to ENSO-neutral is likely by April-June 2024 (79%
chance), with increasing odds of La Niña developing in June-August 2024 (55%
chance).
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

/[ A research paper from the great young scientist Kaitlin Naughten ]/
*Unavoidable future increase in West Antarctic ice-shelf melting over
the twenty-first century*
Kaitlin A. Naughten

    Ocean-driven melting of floating ice-shelves in the Amundsen Sea is
    currently the main process controlling Antarctica’s contribution to
    sea-level
    rise. Using a regional ocean model, we present a comprehensive suite of
    future projections of ice-shelf melting in the Amundsen Sea. We find
    that
    rapid ocean warming, at approximately triple the historical rate, is
    likely
    committed over the twenty-first century, with widespread increases in
    ice-shelf melting, including in regions crucial for ice-sheet
    stability. When
    internal climate variability is considered, there is no significant
    difference
    between mid-range emissions scenarios and the most ambitious targets of
    the Paris Agreement. These results suggest that mitigation of greenhouse
    gases now has limited power to prevent ocean warming that could lead to
    the collapse of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-023-01818-x.pdf

/[ Geo Girl offers quick atmosphere lesson ]/
*Significance of the Greenhouse Effect on Earth & Other Planets | GEO GIRL*
GEO GIRL
Mar 17, 2024
How does the greenhouse effect actually work on Earth? How has it
changed through Earth's history? Do other planets have a greenhouse
effect? In this video, I cover how energy flows to and from Earth, the
significance of the greenhouse effect for sustaining life on Earth, how
the strength of Earth's greenhouse effect changed through time, the
differences between Earth's greenhouse effect and that of nearby
planets, and the current perturbation to Earth's greenhouse effect due
to human greenhouse gas emissions as well as the potential progression
of climate change as the C cycle attempts to balance itself back out.

    0:00 Earth’s Energy Balance
    2:59 Earth’s NOT in Energy Balance
    3:49 Earth’s Greenhouse Effect
    4:49 Greenhouse Effect = GOOD
    5:58 Other Atmospheric Effects?
    6:31 Actual Energy Flows on Earth
    9:28 Greenhouse Effect on Other Planets
    11:07 Earth’s Greenhouse Effect Over Time
    12:55 Consequences of C Imbalance
    16:05 Inducing C Cycle Balance