[✔️] March 23, 2024 Global Warming News | Activism, Yale's Tony Leiserowitz

Sat Mar 23 08:13:01 EDT 2024

/*March*//*23, 2024*/

/[ Information activist essay ]/
*The Law is Criminalising Activists Because It Can’t Criminalise Violence*
Violence is a feature, not a flaw
Rachel Donald
Mar 22, 2024

The British State this week overthrew a key legal defence protecting
climate activists. The belief in consent defence has seen juries
acquitting activists in criminal damage cases, much to the fury of the
establishment and, on Monday, the Court of Appeal ruled that evidence
presented by defendants about the effects of climate change would be
“inadmissible” in the future.

The “consent” defence argued that activists who engaged in damaging
property, such as breaking the windows of a fossil-fuel invested bank,
genuinely believed the owners of that property would have given their
consent to the action if they truly understood the reasons for the
protest, such as the effects of climate change. This defence
successfully won over juries when presented with the catastrophic
impending effects of climate change. Losing this defence is a huge blow
both to activists waiting to stand trial and the justice system as a
whole, which has been weaponised against victims rather than
perpetrators. Following the advice of The Atlas Network, the shadowy
network of right-wing global think tanks behind the recent
criminalisation of protest around the “democratic” world, the British
government is using its police force and courts to crack down on
“eco-terrorists” all whilst granting more licences for oil and gas
exploration in the North Sea.

The effects have ricocheted throughout the seats of British power. Just
days after the ruling, the Independent MP for North West Leicestershire,
Andrew Bridgen, a member of the science-denying Net Zero Scrutiny Group,
stood up in the Houses of Parliament and gassed: “Independent scientists
have stated that higher carbon dioxide levels would be beneficial for
life on the planet through increased plant growth… So can we have a
debate on government time about the cost benefits of Net Zero before
trillions of pounds of taxpayers’ money are wasted?”

And on the very same day, a delegate of the British government told the
United Nations that the UK can never accept that nature has rights: “The
UK’s firm position is that rights can only be held by legal entities
with a legal personality. We do not accept that rights can be applied to
nature or Mother Earth. While we recognise that others do, it is a
fundamental principle for the UK and one from which we cannot deviate.”

What happens in British law matters as it is the bedrock of legal
systems around the world. A living legacy of British colonialism, the
Law validated the rape of people and land, the theft of resources, and
the hierarchy of domination and oppression. It gave men in wigs the
right to put other men in chains, and granted legal rights to
corporations long before people of colour or women. Arguably, without
any meaningful reform, the Law continues to serve its initial purpose:
to grant absolute power to a minority.

This immense violence is dressed up as justice. In Violence and the
Word, legal scholar Robert Cover argues that the Law’s power is
predicated on “a willingness to put bodies on the line”: incarceration.
How striking that activists today also use that language when throwing
themselves against the power of the state. Cover argues that by denying
this violence, its own, the Law cannot operate in the real world, and
instead “imposes an imagined future upon reality”.

This explains why criminals walk free while civilians are jailed. The
Law gains its hard power through a willingness to commit violence; it
maintains its soft power by allegedly exercising that power to maintain
order. According to the Law’s own logic, occurrences of violence are
aberrations in an otherwise functioning system, for it metes out
justice. But if the Law’s own power is built on violence then violence,
surely, is not an aberration but a necessary function of that system?
And if violence is the function, what right does the Law have to commit
violence in the name of order? Its violence does not achieve order if
violence is the norm. Instead, its violence is nothing more than a
continued oppression and domination to grant absolute power to the minority.

This is why the Law so often fails to convict violence. Thanks to the
#MeToo movement, we know the terrible prevalence of sexual violence. It
is, simply, a reality for most women. Yet, in England, the conviction
rate for reported rapes is under 1%. How can the Law be so out of touch
with reality? Because it pretends that violence is a flaw, not a
feature, and adequately convicting violent perpetrators would
acknowledge the world rather than project upon it. It is far easier to
control an imagined future than reality; it is far easier to deny
victimhood than police criminality.

The Law must deny criminality, for criminality defines Statehood in the
Global North, the hemisphere which raided and ransacked the majority
world. State power is access to energy, ideally a large surplus, be it
stolen resources, slave labour or fossil fuels. Enshrining the legal
rights of Nature directly challenges the British State’s access to
power. This is why rejecting those rights is a “a fundamental principle
for the UK and one from which we cannot deviate.” The Law depends on
hierarchies and violence to function, and challenging that oppression
threatens to bring the whole institution down on itself. Activists
finding common ground with a jury of their peers also undermines the
British State’s access to power, which was first gained by stealing land
from the majority.

The British Law cannot criminalise violence because it is a violent
institution, in league with the violence of the State, whose power
depends on extraction and domination. We rightly rail against American
imperialism but British Law is the arteries through which the artillery
flows, its commitment to injustice revealed with every public prosecution.

https://www.planetcritical.com/p/the-law-is-criminalising-activists?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email&utm_content=share

/[  Sage advice from Yale's Tony Leiserowitz ]/
Dear Friends,
We are pleased to announce the publication of a new Climate Note: “The
"attitude-behavior gap” on climate action: How can it be bridged?”

There are many ways that people can take action to reduce climate
change, from personal behaviors like eating a more plant-rich diet to
collective behaviors like political activism. Political activism (such
as contacting government officials to express support for pro-climate
policies) is one of the most significant ways to influence government
policy-making.

However, relatively few Americans engage in political actions to limit
global warming, such as signing petitions, volunteering, or contacting
government officials. While majorities think that global warming should
be a high government priority and support various climate policies,
there is a discrepancy between the public’s attitudes about climate
action and their behaviors or actions that support it. Research that
offers insights into this “attitude-behavior gap” can identify
opportunities to reduce the gap and thereby strengthen both public and
political will.

In this analysis, we investigate the attitude-behavior gap on political
climate action using the six most recent waves of our Climate Change in
the American Mind surveys spanning 2021-2023 (n = 6,190 U.S. adults). We
focus on four political actions. We compare the gap between willingness
to engage versus self-reported behavior across all four actions, and
explore differences between Americans who are willing and active and
those who are willing but inactive.

Results

Many Americans say they “definitely” or “probably” would engage in
political climate action if someone they like and respect asked them to.
These actions include signing a petition about global warming, either
online or in person (51%), donating money to an organization working on
global warming (31%), volunteering time to an organization working on
global warming (29%), or contacting government officials about global
warming (28%). However, fewer Americans report engaging in these
behaviors at least “once” in the prior 12 months (signing a petition,
16%; donating money, 13%; volunteering, 6%; contacting government
officials, 8%).
- --
https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/attitude-behavior-gap/
To understand the factors that may contribute to the attitude-behavior
gap on climate action, we focused on the 30% of Americans who say they
“definitely would” engage in at least one of the four behaviors. Half of
this group (i.e., 15% of Americans) report doing at least one of the
behaviors “once” or more often in the past 12 months (“Definitely
willing and active”), while the other half have not (“Definitely willing
but inactive”). We compared these groups to all other Americans and
explored differences in communication behaviors, perceptions of social
norms, and collective efficacy beliefs.

The “Definitely willing and active” are more likely than both the
“Definitely willing but inactive” and other Americans to discuss global
warming with family and friends (respectively, 78%, 50%, and 23%), hear
about global warming in the media (71%, 56%, and 49%), or hear other
people talk about global warming (52%, 29%, and 15%). Additionally, the
“Definitely willing and active” are more likely to perceive social norms
supportive of climate action, including descriptive norms (i.e., how
much of an effort family and friends make to reduce global warming; 73%,
46%, and 28%) and injunctive norms (i.e., how important it is to family
and friends that you take action to reduce global warming; 71%, 59%, and
31%).

- - -
https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/attitude-behavior-gap/
We find that there is an attitude-behavior gap on climate action: many
Americans are willing to engage in political actions to address climate
change, but fewer report doing so. Even among the people who are most
willing to act, many say they haven’t done so in the prior year. There
are also important differences between people who are active and those
who are not, including in perceived social norms, communication
behaviors, and collective efficacy beliefs. We have found similar
patterns among the Alarmed, or those who are most worried about climate
change: Americans who are Alarmed and actively engaged in climate issues
are more likely than those who are not active to talk about climate
change and express a sense of collective efficacy. While we cannot
determine causal relationships from these findings, the results align
with previous research on the drivers of political action on climate
change and provide implications for bridging the attitude-behavior gap.

How can the attitude-behavior gap on climate action be bridged?

In this analysis, 30% of Americans said they “definitely would” do at
least one of four political actions to address climate change – over 100
million people who are very willing to engage. However, the barriers to
climate action are complex, including psychological, social, and
structural/logistical factors. For political actions such as contacting
government officials, we have found that the most frequent barrier for
registered voters is that no one has ever asked them to do it. In
addition, many say that it wouldn’t make any difference, they are not
activists, they don’t know who to contact, or they wouldn’t know what to
say. Based on previous research and the results here, we suggest several
ways to address these barriers and encourage climate action in the full
Climate Note on our website.

For media inquiries, please contact Eric Fine and Michaela Hobbs.

For partnership inquiries, please contact Joshua Low.

Further Reading from Yale Climate Connections

13 tips for lobbying your elected officials about climate change

Checklist: How to take advantage of brand-new clean energy tax credits

How to talk about climate change: Ask questions

As always, thanks for your interest and support of our work!

On behalf of the research team: Matthew Ballew, Jennifer Carman, Marija
Verner, Seth Rosenthal, Edward Maibach, John Kotcher, and Anthony
Leiserowitz.

Cheers,

Tony
-----
Anthony Leiserowitz, Ph.D.
Director, Yale Program on Climate Change Communication
Yale School of the Environment
Twitter: @ecotone2
climatecommunication.yale.edu
yaleclimateconnections.org

https://mailchi.mp/yale/the-attitude-behavior-gap-on-climate-action-how-can-it-be-bridged?e=ff9625264c

   5 weekday
Every weekday morning

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers.  Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli