[✔️] March 26, 2024 Global Warming News | Vulnerability assessed, Grid thinking, Resilience, Florida bans language, 2006 TIME magazine worried

Tue Mar 26 13:16:26 EDT 2024

/*March*//*26, 2024*/
/
[ Vulnerability Projections ]/
*Reality Check on Winter Predictions: Integrating Knowledge Sources*
American Resiliency
Mar 25, 2024
I had it on my calendar to check in on my winter predictions, and this
seemed like a good time to reflect on sources of knowledge.  I tell some
stories and share what I think is the most cutting-edge work in climate
today.

Here are the links to what I think is so good:
https://glifwc.org/ClimateChange/VulnerabilityAssessment.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLNYglue5GQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI0kcGgaU0s

/[  What is a Grid? ( why not your own grid?)  ]/
*Rethinking electricity grids.*
Just Have a Think
Mar 24, 2024
As renewable energy developers struggle with the almost impenetrable
complexity of regulatory and permitting bureaucracy that can add more
than a decade to the timeline of a new installation, clever boffins have
been quietly revolutionising the materials used to make the wires that
run between the pylons that take electrons from where they're generated
to where they're needed. The cost savings, energy efficiency
improvements, and speed of installation that those materials are
facilitating may just make the difference in the race for decarbonisation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKpDvCGqUv8

/[  Some lessons learned, now shared ]/
*Global Resilience Partnership *
Published: March 1, 2024
Embracing informality: A crucial element in crafting equitable urban
resilience
Learn how the Southern African Resilience Academy’s Informality and
Equitable Urban Resilience Working Group synthesised research and
practice to examine how informality influences urban resilience.

Written by: Hallie Eakin, Gina Ziervogel, Maike Hamann, Martha Sibanda,
Ernita van Wyk, Jade Sullivan, Nadine Methner, and Johan Enqvist
GRP Areas of work: Knowledge  Theme: Cities and urban resilience
- -
Informality is a pervasive and defining aspect of urban life in the
Global South, shaping the experience of millions in southern Africa.
 From informal settlements to informal trade and institutions, its
influence on urban dynamics is undeniable. However, the link between
informality, urban inequality, and resilience is often overlooked in
contemporary urban planning. This oversight risks perpetuating existing
disparities and hampering effective responses to crises and
climate-related shocks. Recognising this gap, the “Informality and
Equitable Urban Resilience” working group, formed under the SARA working
group initiative, seeks to explore and address the critical role of
informality in urban resilience and equity of rapidly growing cities in
the Global South.

Our goal is to synthesise research and practice from southern Africa and
other Global South contexts to comprehensively examine how informality
influences urban resilience. By leveraging interdisciplinary expertise
in climate change adaptation, social-ecological resilience, urban
governance, social movements, and environmental justice, we aim to
develop recommendations for improved urban planning and governance for
cities in southern Africa and beyond.

The inclusion of representatives from ICLEI Africa and Slum Dwellers
International, two organisations that work closely with urban
communities and decision-makers across southern Africa, enhances the
practical relevance of our insights, bridging the gap between research
and on-the-ground experience.

*Collaborative approach *
Our working group’s strength lies in its diversity, both in terms of
expertise and representation. Regular online meetings facilitated
collaboration and ensured consistent progress on various outputs,
including an academic paper, insights brief, and a session at the recent
Adaptation Futures 2023 conference. By bringing together academics,
practitioners, and community perspectives, our collaboration is
well-positioned to provide actionable recommendations that consider the
nuances of informality in resilience planning.
*
Global relevance*
While the focus on informality in southern Africa is paramount, recent
trends in Global North cities, such as the rise of the gig economy,
increased migration, the impacts of the COVID-19 epidemic, and climate
change, highlight the growing relevance of informality worldwide. Our
SARA working group’s insights aim to contribute timely and essential
perspectives to the global discourse on sustainable and equitable urban
futures. As we delve into the role of informality in urban resilience,
we raise critical questions of equity and justice:

*1) Inclusivity: *Who is included in the conceptualisation of a
resilient urban system?
*2) Contribution:* Who contributes to urban resilience, and how?
*3) Participation: *Who participates in urban resilience planning,
ensuring diverse voices are heard and considered?

Our working group’s exploration of informality’s multifaceted role in
urban development is not just relevant to the Global South but has
broader implications in the face of global challenges. We anticipate
that the insights garnered through our collaborative efforts will be
instrumental in shaping a more inclusive and equitable approach to urban
resilience worldwide. By recognising and embracing informality, we can
pave the way for resilient cities that truly prioritise the well-being
of all their inhabitants.

Written by: Hallie Eakin, Gina Ziervogel, Maike Hamann, Martha Sibanda,
Ernita van Wyk, Jade Sullivan, Nadine Methner, and Johan Enqvist
https://www.globalresiliencepartnership.org/embracing-informality-a-crucial-element-in-crafting-equitable-urban-resilience/

/[ quite dumb politicians...especially when facing disease or danger ]/
*Florida is about to erase climate change from most of its laws*
The state is spending big on adapting to sea level rise, but Republicans
don't want to name the cause.
Mar 25, 2024
//by Kate Yoder
//
In Florida, the effects of climate change are hard to ignore, no matter
your politics. It’s the hottest state — Miami spent a record 46 days
above a heat index of 100 degrees last summer — and many homes and
businesses are clustered along beachfront areas threatened by rising
seas and hurricanes. The Republican-led legislature has responded with
more than $640 million for resilience projects to adapt to coastal threats.
But the same politicians don’t seem ready to acknowledge the root cause
of these problems. A bill awaiting signature from Governor Ron DeSantis,
who dropped out of the Republican presidential race in January, would
ban offshore wind energy, relax regulations on natural gas pipelines,
and delete the majority of mentions of climate change from existing
state laws...
- -
The bill is also out of step with what most Floridians want, Knecht
said. According to a recent survey from Florida Atlantic University, 90
percent of the state’s residents accept that climate change is
happening. “When you talk to the citizens of Florida, the majority of
them recognize that the climate is changing and want something to be
done above and beyond just trying to build our way out of it.”
https://grist.org/politics/florida-erasing-climate-change-laws-desantis/

/[The news archive -  ]/
/*March 26, 2006 */
March 26, 2006: TIME Magazine releases its April 3, 2006 cover-dated
issue, with the cover story: "Be Worried. Be Very Worried."
http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,20060403,00.html
http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1176980,00.html

   5 weekday
Every weekday morning

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers.  Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli