[✔️] March 27, 2024 Global Warming News | Collapse studies, Slow currents, Ice loss in Greenland, Sabine's optimism bias, Beginning to migrate, Europe polices, 2007 misinformations

Wed Mar 27 08:14:38 EDT 2024

/*March*//*27, 2024*/

/[ reading collapse studies ]/
*Approaching the Collapse Threshold: Extreme Melting and Instability
Measured in NE Greenland Glacier*
Paul Beckwith
Mar 25, 2024
A significant study on the so-called 79NG (79 degrees latitude North
Greenland) coastal glacier was just released, in an open source
peer-reviewed paper.

General news-release article:
https://phys.org/news/2024-03-enormous-ice-loss-greenland-glacier.html

Peer-reviewed scientific paper article:
https://tc.copernicus.org/articles/18/1333/2024/tc-18-1333-2024.pdf

Ground based on-ice measurements, airborne survey measurements, and
satellite measurements are verified against each other, and show how
fast this 79NG glacier is thinning, moving, and melting.

This glacier is quickly withering away due to the onslaught of extremely
high air temperatures melting the surface of the glacier creating
numerous glacial lakes on the surface, which are drilling through the
ice draining the water to the bedrock below and into the ocean.

Just as significant for the ice melt, the warming oceans below are
greatly accelerating the basal ice melt (ice at the bottom of the
floating parts of the glacier in contact with ocean water). In fact,
near the center line longitudinal cross section of the ice, a 500 meter
high cavity has been melted into the bottom of the glacier, and this
cavity of upside down crevice has come to within 190 meter of the
glacier surface.

When it penetrates through the surface, the glacier will likely cleave
into two parts, and what often happens is the whole thing shatters into
a multitude of smaller pieces that quickly cascade out into the ocean
and quickly melt out.

Overall, the thickness of the glacier has decreased by 160 meters, but
that is outside of the 500 meter cavity region, but it seems to me that
the ice over the cavity region is by far the weakest spot or Achilles
Heel of the whole thing.

Not good…

What do with expect, with fossil fuel production at record highs, and at
record acceleration rates?
We need to expect chaos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr6pXUrJZH8

/[ Atlantic currents carry warm water to the North ]/
*Study documents slowing of Atlantic currents*
by Cazzy Medley, University of Maryland
MARCH 25, 2024
While scientists have observed oceans heating up for decades and
theorized that their rising temperatures weaken global currents, a new
study led by a University of Maryland researcher documents for the first
time a significant slowing of a crucial ocean current system that plays
a role in regulating Earth's climate.
Published recently in Frontiers in Marine Science, the paper led by
Earth System Science Interdisciplinary Center (ESSIC) scientist Alexey
Mishonov examined decades of data on the Atlantic Meridional Overturning
Circulation (AMOC) found in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration's (NOAA) World Ocean Atlas.

Mishonov and co-authors Dan Seidov and James Reagan from NOAA discovered
that the current system's flow remained stable and consistent from 1955
to 1994. However, in the mid-1990s, AMOC strength began to decline and
the current began to move slower, which the scientists attribute to the
continued warming of the ocean's surface and the accompanying changes in
the salinity of its upper layers.

AMOC, which includes the Gulf Stream, carries warm water toward higher
latitudes, releasing heat into the atmosphere and bringing cold waters
to the tropics. This forms a continuous loop that redistributes heat
across the ocean.

"If AMOC slows down, the heat exchange will be reduced, which in turn
will affect the climate, causing hot areas to get hotter and cold areas
to get colder," said Mishonov. This could lead to global climate
changes, sea level rise, impact on marine ecosystems and other climate
feedbacks.
A similar, but highly exaggerated and fictionalized dynamic powered the
plot of the 2004 disaster blockbuster "The Day After Tomorrow," in which
a flow of fresh water from melting glaciers led to the sudden collapse
of North Atlantic Ocean currents, leading to outlandish effects like
global superstorms and the sudden appearance of glaciers across much of
the northern hemisphere.

"Of course, most climate scientists do not share these Hollywood
fantasies, and no one inside scientific communities believes that
anything remotely similar can happen," Mishonov said of the film.
"However, most do believe that substantial slowing of AMOC might result
in significant climate change that cannot be foreseen and predicted.
Therefore, increased interest in AMOC functionality is fully warranted."

Mishonov and co-authors believe that the key to understanding the ocean
climate trajectory is identifying how the North Atlantic climate
responds to ongoing surface warming over decadal timespans.

The researchers used World Ocean Atlas data covering 1955–2017 as well
as climate reanalysis data on decadal wind stress and sea surface height
fields from UMD's Simple Ocean Data Assimilation project to determine
fingerprints of the North Atlantic's circulation and AMOC's dynamics.

The authors found that although the entire North Atlantic is
systematically warming, the climate trajectories in its different
subregions reveal radically different characteristics of regional
decadal variability, reflecting diverse climate patterns. For example,
while the temperature has gradually increased from 1955 to 2017, it
dropped in the more northern Atlantic from 1955 to 1994, then rose from
1995 to 2017. Similar patterns are also visible in salinity and density.

This variation in climate characteristics indicates that the current
situation may not predict what the future may hold, including whether
AMOC's slowdown will persist, accelerate or diminish in the next decade.
However, the paper suggests that scenarios involving the slowdown or
collapse of AMOC cannot be dismissed. Next, the authors plan to explore
other regions of the global ocean to look for similar patterns in
long-term temperature and salinity variability.
  DOI: 10.3389/fmars.2024.1345426
https://phys.org/news/2024-03-documents-atlantic-currents.html

/[ Ice melts in a warming World ]/
*Study reports enormous ice loss from Greenland glacier*
by Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres
MARCH 22, 2024
Ground-based measuring devices and aircraft radar operated in the far
northeast of Greenland show how much ice the 79° N-Glacier is losing.
According to measurements conducted by the Alfred Wegener Institute, the
thickness of the glacier has decreased by more than 160 meters since
1998. Warm ocean water flowing under the glacier tongue is melting the
ice from below.
High air temperatures cause lakes to form on the surface, whose water
flows through huge channels in the ice into the ocean. One channel
reached a height of 500 meters, while the ice above was only 190 meters
thick, as a research team has now reported in The Cryosphere.
A rustic camp in northeast Greenland was one of the bases for deploying
autonomous measuring devices with modern radar technology by helicopter
in a part of the 79° N-Glacier that is difficult to access. Measurement
flights with the polar aircraft of the Alfred Wegener Institute,
Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research (AWI), and satellite data
were also incorporated into a scientific study that has now been published.

This study examines how global warming affects the stability of a
floating ice tongue. This is of great importance for the remaining ice
shelves in Greenland as well as those in Antarctica, as instability of
the ice shelf usually results in an acceleration of the ice flow, which
would lead to a greater sea level rise.

"Since 2016, we have been using autonomous instruments to carry out
radar measurements on the 79° N-Glacier, from which we can determine
melt and thinning rates," says AWI glaciologist Dr. Ole Zeising, the
first author of the publication. "In addition, we used aircraft radar
data from 1998, 2018, and 2021, showing changes in ice thickness. We
were able to measure that the 79° N-Glacier has changed significantly in
recent decades under the influence of global warming."
The study shows how the combination of a warm ocean inflow and a warming
atmosphere affects the floating ice tongue of the 79° N-Glacier in
northeast Greenland. Only recently, an AWI oceanography team published a
modeling study on this subject. The unique data set of observations now
presented shows that extremely high melt rates occur over a large area
near the transition to the ice sheet.

In addition, large channels form on the underside of the ice from the
land side, probably because the water from huge lakes drains through the
glacier ice. Both processes have led to a strong thinning of the glacier
in recent decades.

Due to extreme melt rates, the ice of the floating glacier tongue has
become 32 % thinner since 1998, especially from the grounding line where
the ice comes into contact with the ocean. In addition, a 500-meter-high
channel has formed on the underside of the ice, which spreads towards
the inland.

The researchers attribute these changes to warm ocean currents in the
cavity below the floating tongue and to the runoff of surface meltwater
as a result of atmospheric warming. A surprising finding was that melt
rates have decreased since 2018. A possible cause for this is a colder
ocean inflow.

"The fact that this system reacts on such short time scales is
astonishing for systems that are actually inert, such as glaciers," says
Prof Dr. Angelika Humbert, who is also involved in the study.

"We expect that this floating glacier tongue will break apart over the
next few years to decades," explains the AWI glaciologist. "We have
begun to study this process in detail to gain maximum insight into the
course of the process. Although there have been several such
disintegrations of ice shelves, we have only been able to collect data
subsequently. As a scientific community, we are now in a better position
by having built up a really good database before the collapse."

More information: Ole Zeising et al, Extreme melting at Greenland's
largest floating ice tongue, The Cryosphere (2024). DOI:
10.5194/tc-18-1333-2024
https://phys.org/news/2024-03-enormous-ice-loss-greenland-glacier.html

/[ From the journal The Cryosphere ]/
*Extreme melting at Greenland’s largest floating ice tongue*
Ole Zeising, Niklas Neckel, Nils Dörr, Veit Helm, Daniel Steinhage,
Ralph Timmermann, and
Angelika Humbert
Revised: 9 December 2023 – Accepted: 12 January 2024 – Published: 22
March 2024

    *Abstract.* The 79° North Glacier (Nioghalvfjerdsbrae,
    79NG) is one of three remaining glaciers with a floating
    tongue in Greenland. Although the glacier has been considered
    exceptionally stable in the past, earlier studies have
    shown that the ice tongue has thinned in recent decades. By
    conducting high-resolution ground-based and airborne radar
    measurements in conjunction with satellite remote-sensing
    observations, we find significant changes in the geometry of
    79NG. In the vicinity of the grounding line, a 500 m high
    subglacial channel has grown since ∼ 2010 and has caused
    surface lowering of up to 7.6 m a−1.
    Our results show extreme basal melt rates exceeding 150 m a−1 over a
    period
    of 17 d within a distance of 5 km from the grounding line,
    where the ice has thinned by 32 % since 1998. We find a
    heterogeneous distribution of melt rates, likely due to variability
    in water column thickness and channelization of the
    ice base. Time series of melt rates show a decrease in basal
    melting since 2018, indicating an inflow of colder water into
    the cavity below 79NG. We discuss the processes that have
    led to the changes in geometry and conclude that the inflow
    of warm ocean currents has led to the extensive thinning of
    79NG’s floating ice tongue near the grounding line over the
    last 2 decades. In contrast, we hypothesize that the growth of
    the channel results from increased subglacial discharge due
    to a considerably enlarged area of summer surface melt due
    to the warming of the atmosphere.

https://tc.copernicus.org/articles/18/1333/2024/tc-18-1333-2024.pdf

/[ //Sabine has optimism bias - //It may be easier to repeal the Laws of
Thermodynamics (joke) than to stop fossil fuel combustion  ]/
*Should I be terrified of climate change? Should you be terrified?*
Sabine Hossenfelder
Mar 26, 2024  #sciencenews #science #climate
I have now come across a bunch of articles in which scientists are more
or less explicitly advocating that we scare people into action on
climate change. To me this is a step from information to manipulation.
Let’s have a look.
paper https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2312093121
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbSEC6VN4Rs

/[ When it's time to resettle elsewhere -  (ASAP) American Society of
Adaptation Professionals  ]/
*Connecting and Supporting the People Who Build Climate Resilience*
What We Do
The American Society of Adaptation Professionals (ASAP) is the
professional home for people who are preparing for climate impacts in
their jobs, in their communities, and in their fields of practice. Find
out how we're connecting and supporting the people who build climate
resilience.
https://adaptationprofessionals.org

/[ What is Europe doing? ]/
*Too far or not far enough? These are Europe’s most and least popular
climate policies*
By Rosie Frost
25/03/2024
Fears of a ‘green backlash’ at the European elections are unfounded,
according to a new survey.

Climate change is set to be one of the topics that dominate European
election campaigns this summer.

But when voters hit the ballot box this June, some believe fatigue will
see them turn towards politicians who roll back climate policies, scale
down climate ambitions or ignore environmental action entirely.

A new report from researchers at Oxford University, Humboldt University
Berlin, and Hertie School Berlin set out to uncover whether this is
really true.

Researchers surveyed 15,000 people across Germany, France and Poland on
how they felt about current climate policies. Voters were quizzed on
whether they think measures go too far or not far enough. They were also
asked about 40 specific policies to find out which were the most and
least popular.

The report’s authors say their results refute theories of a ‘broad green
backlash’ ahead of this year’s European Parliament election.
*
Concrete actions and climate concerns*
Debate over environmental policy in the last few months has led to
speculation that people across Europe are tired of green policies. But
researchers found that this wasn’t the case across the three countries
they surveyed, seeing no widespread backlash against climate policy.

Most still wanted more ambitious climate policy and would support
concrete measures to bring emissions down. Asked whether existing
climate policies have already gone too far or not far enough, a majority
- 57 per cent in France, 53 per cent in Germany and 51 per cent in
Poland - were in favour of further action.
- -
The majority support for more ambitious climate policy was mirrored by
people’s concern over the impact of climate change on their lives.
Around 60 per cent of people in Poland and Germany said they are already
negatively impacted by climate change or expect to be in the next five
to 10 years.

The impact of recent drought and drinking water shortages push that
number up to 80 per cent in France.

There is a sizable minority that is against more ambitious climate
action in all three countries. Around 30 per cent in Germany and Poland
and slightly less at 23 per cent in France.

However, researchers say this group is “relatively stable over time”.
The number of people in opposition doesn’t seem to have changed from
similar surveys in 2021 and 2022 despite the narrative of growing
backlash against climate policies ahead of the election.

And there is little evidence that this opposition is based in material
concerns like employment, they add.

*Which climate policies are the most and least popular?*
While a majority of people still abstractly support ambitious action,
their opinions vary when it comes to concrete climate policies.

Across all three countries, banning cars with internal combustion
engines ranked at the bottom of the list for voters. Regulatory
restrictions on gas and oil heating were particularly disliked in
Germany and Poland.

Echoing earlier surveys, voters were also sceptical about carbon
pricing, with the idea of putting a price tag on emissions especially
unpopular for housing and transport.
- -
The most popular policies were investments in green infrastructure -
like the electricity grid or public transport. Voters also generally
support strategies like subsidies to help energy-intensive industries
decarbonise or produce clean energy tech like wind turbines and solar
panels.

The survey also found backing for bans on private jets and - except for
in Poland - restrictions on short-haul flights.

Overall, policies and regulations that didn’t directly impact people’s
everyday lives tended to be popular. These measures put the pressure to
reduce emissions on public authorities and big companies rather than on
consumers.
*
Will rolling back green policies win voters?*
While the current narrative might make rolling back unpopular climate
policies seem like an easy win, the report’s authors argue that the
reality is more complicated than that.

“Taking common armchair diagnoses about a green backlash at face value
would be a mistake,” they write, as most voters still support more
ambitious climate policy.

“A European election campaign in which parties try to outbid each other
over who scales down their climate ambitions the most would simply
misdiagnose where voters stand on the issue.”

Instead, the authors say that focusing on stronger green investment and
industrial policies would be popular. For unpopular policies that need
to be implemented to bring emissions down, “compensation is key”.

Across countries and party lines, voters are less opposed to climate
action if governments also help those hit hardest by the measures.

“Parties should not waste the coming months outbidding each other over
how to cater to imagined climate fatigue but compete over concrete
recipes to green the economy,” they conclude.
https://www.euronews.com/green/2024/03/25/too-far-or-not-far-enough-these-are-europes-most-and-least-popular-climate-policies

/[The news archive - misinformation debates ]/
/*March 27, 2007 */
March 27, 2007: In a post ... about a recent confrontation with
Competitive Enterprise Institute honcho Myron Ebell, blogger Mike Stark
observes:

"Upon reflection, I really think there are a couple of lessons for
progressives to be found in this five minute exchange.

"First of all, when arguing with somebody that either has no credibility
or is not arguing a credible position, don't donate the credibility they
need to be seen as your equal."

"You see, by calling his credibility into question immediately - and not
letting him up for air - well, I've got no proof, but I really think
that everyone in the room knew that Mr. Ebell had been bettered. When we
ask policy or science questions of these charlatans, we give the
impression that we care what they think. We don't. We know they are rank
liars, we're just wondering if they'll be able to spin a sufficient
answer. But these guys get millions of dollars a year from the largest
corporate titans precisely because they have the skill to ink up the
issue. Why let them show off?

"Secondly, don't go out of your way to be nice or polite. Hell, I won't
afford these profit-gandists any respect on my blog, why the hell should
I do it face to face? A large part of their professional career derives
from their ability to mock me and the things I believe in. The
Competitive Enterprise Institute once liked global warming to 'being
invaded by space aliens' for example. By addressing these people with
the indignant scorn they deserve, you project the moral superiority of
your position. To many times it seems that Democratic and progressive
pundits are more interested in being our opponents' friends than we are
in vigorously arguing the issues. In this media environment - when equal
time is given to global warming deniers... well, we just can't afford
the small talk.

"In the end, these guys are not good people. This isn't a case of
principled people disagreeing. At this point in the global warming
debate, the only principled disagreements to be had revolve around what
we should be doing to address the crisis. The Myron Ebells of the world
- the die-hard denialists... well, we need to move them off the stage by
marginalizing them at every opportunity."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-stark/global-warming-phooey_b_44407.html

Archive of Daily Global Warming News
   5 weekday
Every weekday morning

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers.  Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli