{news} chapter reps, please come to 10/26/04 SCC meeting prepared to discuss question of replacing Elizabeth Horton Sheff

edubrule edubrule at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 15 23:43:19 EDT 2004

     At  the beginning of the 10/10/04 Executive Committee meeting, co-chair Elizabeth Horton Sheff resigned from the Connecticut Green Party, effective immediately.  The letter she presented to Executive Committee members concerning this decision was previously (10/12/04) "published" to this News listserve.
     I have studied the bylaws of the Connecticut Green Party and they are silent on the issue of replacement of a co-chair (or any officer) who resigns.  The Executive Committee, at its 10/10/04 meeting, asked me to write this e-mail to chapter reps of the SCC.
     The Executive Committee considered that there are at least three possible responses to Elizabeth Horton Sheff's resignation:
(1) no replacement (i.e. only have two co-chairs until the next internal elections).  We had internal elections (which elected co-chairs, treasurer, and secretary) on 3/13/04;  the next internal elections are expected to be held in March 2005.

(2) new election of some kind.  If this option is chosen, the SCC must decide the details of the election.  Ideas that jump to my mind are:
  (a) election by the SCC
  (b) election by the SCC after consultation with chapters
  (c) election by a some procedure involving polling chapter members
  (c) election at a special convention (on a Saturday in Middletown?)
  (d) election involving a mailing to some group of Connecticut Greens
(3) next-highest vote-getter:  decision by the SCC that the next highest vote-getter in the March 2004 internal elections, beyond the co-chairs elected, shall be declared a replacement for Elizabeth Horton Sheff.  (As I write this e-mail I do not know whether the next-highest vote-getter is known, i.e. I do not know if the ballots--or the computer printout generated by using the ballots--are still available.)

     I will attempt to find out whether the next-highest vote-getter is known.  If I determine the facts on this, I will publish the facts to this News listserve as soon as I determine them.
     In the meantime, please, chapter reps, think about the above issues (and consult with your chapter members).  The 10/26/04 SCC meeting will be at Wesleyan University, Fisk Hall (exact room to be determined).