{news} Fwd: [media-states] RELEASE Greens' National Women's Caucus elects new officers

Green Party-CT greenpartyct at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 10 06:04:41 EST 2006

Scott McLarty <scottmclarty at yahoo.com> wrote:  From: Scott McLarty <scottmclarty at yahoo.com>
To: natlcomaffairs at green.gpus.org, media-states at lists.gp-us.org,
lavender-caucus at green.gpus.org
Subject: [media-states] RELEASE Greens' National Women's Caucus elects new officers
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 11:06:12 -0800 (PST)

(Distributed by the Green Party of the United
States .)

NATIONAL WOMEN'S CAUCUS
GREEN PARTY OF THE UNITED STATES
http://greens.org/gp-uswomen/

For Immediate Release:
Wednesday, February 8, 2006

Contact:
Nan Garrett, Spokesperson, 404-229-0626,
ngarrett at greens.org

NATIONAL WOMEN'S CAUCUS ELECTS NEW OFFICERS

Women in leadership growing in the Green Party

Washington, D.C. -- The National Women's Caucus
of the Green Party of the United States announced
results of officer elections, electing five new
officers, each for two-year terms.

Sylvia Inwood from Michigan was elected Co-Chair.
Michelle Inez Smith of California was elected
Secretary. Maya O'Connor, District of Columbia,
was elected Treasurer. Nancy Allen of Maine was
elected Alternate Delegate to the Green Party
National Committee and Kat Swift, of Texas was
elected Co-Spokesperson.

The Green Party National Women's Caucus works to
fill the void of meaningful advances for women in
the United States in a world where conditions for
women are also declining.

"Oppression of women not only continues across
the globe and here at home, but is escalating,'
said Ms. Inwood. "The Democrats are ceding ground
on women's issues to the Republicans and the
Republicans are busy eroding many hard-fought
advances and rights. If women are to have a
voice at all in this current political climate,
they will need a powerful Green Party National
Women's Caucus."

A Plank on Women's Rights written by a member of
the National Women's Caucus was adopted into the
Green Party Platform in 2004 that demonstrates
the Party's commitment to women and is in stark
contrast to the Democratic and Republican Parties
which have all but abandoned women.
http://www.gp.org/platform/2004/socjustice.html#998980

"On behalf of the National Women's Caucus, I want
to welcome our new officers," said Morgen D'Arc,
Co-Founder Co-Chair. "Each of these women bring
extraordinary and unique talents. It will be an
honor to work alongside them, two of whom are
chairs of state parties. Ms. Swift is Co-Chair of
the Green Party of Texas and Ms. Inwood is Chair
of the Green Party of Michigan. We now have
leaders of three state parties with Ms. Garrett
Co-Chair of the Green Party of Georgia. Ms.
O'Connor is a former national Green Party
Co-Chair. We will continue to prioritize and
nurture women in leadership," said Ms. D'Arc.

Greens across the nation will recognize the
experience brought to the National Women's Caucus
with Ms. Allen who has a background of 30 years
in electoral politics and who served as national
Green Party Media Coordinator until her
retirement in 2005.

Women do not have constitutional equal rights and
make up only thirteen percent of Congress. The
National Women's Caucus is a response to a great
need in this country for stronger action and
representation for women.

"Until it is okay for all women of all colors to
speak freely about their oppressors and be heard
without being dismissed, until society accepts
women as social and political equals, we will not
give up on Women's Rights," said Ms. Swift.

New officers join current officers, Morgen D'Arc,
Co-Founder Co-Chair, Holly Hart, Delegate to the
Green Party National Committee and Nan Garrett,
Spokesperson.

MORE INFORMATION

National Women's Caucus
Green Party of the United States
http://greens.org/gp-uswomen/
http://www.gp.org
1700 Connecticut Avenue NW, Suite 404
Washington, DC 20009.
202-319-7191, 866-41GREEN
Fax 202-319-7193

Green Party Plank on Women's Rights
http://www.gp.org/platform/2004/socjustice.html#998980

END

  Paid for by Thornton For Governor -   www.VoteThornton.com
  info at votethornton.com

  Cliff Thornton for Governor- Campaign manager- Tim McKee cell (860) 324-1684 or (860) 643-2282
  National Committee member of the Green Party- Connecticut