{news} FW: Beat Lieberman!

NECT Greens nectgreens at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 15 13:02:35 EST 2006

>From: "Owen Sullivan" <owensullivan at ireland.com>
>To: VantageTax at aol.com
>CC: nectgreens at hotmail.com
>Subject: Beat Lieberman!
>Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 21:12:56 +0000

Dear Sir or Madam,

I'm willing to bet Connecticut Republicans won't even put up a candidate to
contest Lieberman's US Senate seat this year. And why should they? Now that
Zell Miller has apparently left the stage, Joe Lieberman easily fills the
pro-war, pro-Bush, pro-Likud bill for them.

If ever there was a merger of Democrats and Republicans...this is it.  There
isn't even a pretense of substantive difference between the two.  At best
it's just coke vs. pepsi.

So it's high time to point out the lie in Lieberman.

Will the Green Party of Connecticut consider a Draft Ralph Nader or Draft
Jennifer Harbury anti-war Senatorial candidacy to defeat Joe Lieberman this
Fall?  Nader from Winsted and Harbury from Woodbridge are both Connecticut
natives.

You will need a candidate who has instant name recognition (unlike Cobb)
that most of the anti-war progressive left can get behind happily and
noisely.

If you're interested...then so am I.

Let me know.  In the meantime, have a look at the news article below that
was published recently in the Waterbury Republican.  Maybe it's just wishful
thinking on my part, but I smell blood in the water (aka opportunity).

Sincerely,

Owen M. Sullivan, Esq.

Lieberman loses party support, still favorite

Thursday, January 12, 2006

associated press

Copyright ? 2006 AP Wire

HARTFORD -- U.S. Sen. Joseph Lieberman's support of the war in Iraq has cost
him some support in his home state, but most voters believe he should be
re-elected, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday.

Sixty-two percent of Connecticut voters approve of the way the Democratic
senator is handling his job, while 24 percent do not and the rest don't
know, according to the telephone survey.

Meanwhile, 64 percent said Lieberman should be re-elected in November, 24
percent said he should not and the remainder didn't know.

Seventy-five percent of Republicans, 61 percent of unaffiliated voters and
59 percent of Democrats said Lieberman deserves re-election.

"While Sen. Lieberman has lost support among some Democrats, probably
because of his strong support for the war in Iraq, he helps make up for it
with support from Republicans," said Quinnipiac pollster Douglas Schwartz.

Lieberman is seeking his fourth term in the U.S. Senate. A former state
attorney general, he has enjoyed strong popularity, with approval numbers
typically hovering around 70 percent, Schwartz said.

Yet during the last presidential election, when Lieberman sought the
Democratic nomination, some liberal Democrats openly backed former Vermont
Gov. Howard Dean instead of rallying behind their homegrown candidate.

The new poll shows that Connecticut voters strongly oppose the war and give
President George Bush low approval ratings.

Sixty-one percent of voters disapprove of the job Bush is doing, compared to
35 percent who approve.

Although the latest poll results show a dip for Lieberman, Schwartz said the
senator still appears to be politically healthy.

"Any senator running for re-election this year would be extremely happy to
have Lieberman's poll numbers," he said.

A spokeswoman for Lieberman said the senator appreciates the continued
support of his constituents.

"We generally don't comment on specific polls, but there's no question many
people in Connecticut admire Senator Lieberman for having the courage of his
convictions, and for his service to our state and nation," said Casey
Aden-Wansbury, the senator's communications director. "The senator is
grateful for that support and intends to continue working hard everyday for
the people of Connecticut."

No candidate, Republican or Democrat, has yet filed the necessary paperwork
to oppose Lieberman in November.

http://www.rep-am.com/story.php?id=1412