{news} Diatribes on the "News" list

David Bedell dbedellgreen at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 24 12:24:22 EST 2008

As listserv manager, I'm going to try this compromise.  Let ctgp-news at ml.greens.org be used for news and announcements, as described on its information page.  Let ctgp-forum at ml.greens.org be used for discussion, including heated debates.  CTGP-forum will not be moderated, so please read at your own risk since it may include personal attacks or even obscenity and adult language.

I will try to moderate CTGP-news, and if I catch something inappropriate, I will reroute it to CTGP-forum.  I don't think it's a good idea to censor someone completely; better to have an outlet for expressing anger.

Karin is correct about membership: our bylaws state clearly, "Anyone registered to vote as a Green is a Green Party member."  I don't know where Amy gets the idea that Justine is not a member.  We cannot kick people out of the party any more than the Democrats can kick Lieberman out of their party.  We can, however, take away certain appointments or privileges, and Amy is legitimate in questioning the length of term for Justine's appointment to the International Committee (but if we set term lengths, these should apply to ALL committee appointments, not just Justine).  I too, wish Amy would use a less vindictive tone in her messages, but I hope others on the CTGP-forum list will try to find the substance beneath the "venom."

David Bedell