[Thali-talk] Thali daily status - 7/8/2015

Yaron Goland yarong at microsoft.com
Wed Jul 8 14:09:34 EDT 2015

Matt - He spent yesterday cleaning up the post card sample app rather than actually making the video. It turns out there is a lot to clean up. So much in fact that I'm taking the work off his hands so Matt can go back to his actual day job of writing the tests and mock layer so Jukka can test to see if the native layer works the way we agreed on. An issue there is that the most popular Node.js test framework, Mocha, doesn't work on JXCore on the phone. The reason is that Mocha uses some custom binaries that won't "just work" on Android (or iOS). Honestly this is fixable but it's just not worth it right now. So Matt is going to go find a "pure" node.js test framework just so we have something and use that for his tests.

Srikanth - He has continued working on 0.0 both in terms of updating the postcard app but also in terms of using the new crypto functionality. But he has run into an issue that he can't get our custom build of JXCore (that we need to use until the next official release which will contain Srikanth's code) working right so he is working with Oguz on that. Srikanth will work with me on fixing the post card app.

Jukka - He had good success in getting BLE working in the background on Android. He found out something interesting which is that if multiple apps advertise multiple BLE services then they each show up with a different MAC! That is actually really awesome as it means we don't have the sharing issues we have run into on Wi-Fi Direct discovery where one app can just overwrite another app on the same phone's discovery announcement. He will continue working on BLE figuring out things like how to send longer messages, how to deal with failures, etc. while he waits for Matt to send him the tests.

Oguz - He is working on adding common native layer error reporting so that if there is an uncaught exception in JXCore the whole app doesn't have to die. He is also finalizing the test app they want to submit to the Apple App Store to make sure Apple is o.k. with JXCore all up.

Yaron - Yesterday was really about catching up on a bunch of emails I've let go unanswered for too long and a bunch of internal stuff. Today I'm setting up my new Android phones and am going to try and figure out how to get the Postcard app working correctly. Matt ran into a specific issue after he fixed a bunch of stuff that his fixes accidentally seemed to break part of synchronization. So I'm going to work with Srikanth to try and track down and fix the issue. Once we have the test app back up and running then we can make the video.