[TheClimate.Vote] Daily News of Global Warming Issues for voters, candidates and officials July 16, 2016

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Sat Jul 16 11:53:38 EDT 2016

/July 16, 2016 - by forwarding this email you help keep voters and
candidates well-informed about global warming

/

    On*Climate Change*, Pence and Trump Are a Perfect Match
    <http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/07/mike-pence-climate-change>

Mother Jones Donald Trump calls*global warming*a "hoax." He
claims*climate science*is "bullshit," and he's even described it
(supposedly as a joke) as a Chinese conspiracy....So perhaps it isn't
that surprising that Mike Pence—whom Trump just named as his running
mate—has similar views...."Global warming is a myth," Pence wrote nearly
two decades ago in an op-ed unearthed by BuzzFeed. "Environmentalists,"
the Indiana Republican explained, "claim that certain 'greenhouse gases'
like carbon dioxide are mucking up the atmosphere and causing the earth
to gradually warm. Despite the fact that CO2 is a naturally occurring
phenomenon in nature, the greenpeace folks want to blame it all on coal
(another natural mineral) and certain (evil) coal burning power plants."
He added (inaccurately) that "the earth is actually cooler today than it
was about 50 years ago."

    Seems Like Fox News Didn't Like the Joke About Its
    Crappy*Climate*Coverage
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/07/15/seems-fox-news-didnt-joke-about-its-crappy-climate-coverage>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

"We want to call out the nefarious role Fox News plays by keeping its
audience confused about the climate threat to the country and world."
"We call on James Murdoch to demand that his father and Fox News chief
Roger Ailes stop distorting *climate science*," .. a new satirical
television ad which aims to use a bit of humor to call out the network's
fueling of climate distortion "to the nation's physical and economic
peril."...Produced by environmental advocacy organization Friends of the
Earth (FoE) and Fenton Communications, the ad shows a supposed Fox News
anchor discussing extreme weather events without drawing any links to
climate change as water increasingly rises over her head....An FoE press
statement says the network rejected the ad, but that the group still
expects it to be viewed many times thank to social media users sharing
it with the hashtag #FOXFoolsOnClimate.

    *Climate*Advocates Capitalize on Pokemon Go Craze to Recruit
    <http://whotv.com/2016/07/15/climate-advocates-capitalize-on-pokemon-go-craze-to-recruit/>

whotv.com 	 -‎16 minutes ago‎

NextGen*Climate*Iowa is luring young voters from all over the state to
their cause Friday…by luring Pokemon to your smartphones.

    How the Right Wing Denial Machine Distorts the*Climate Change
    *Discourse
    <http://www.ecowatch.com/right-wing-denial-machine-distorts-climate-change-discourse-1924120031.html>

EcoWatch 	 -Michael Mann

I am a*climate*scientist and have spent much of my career with my head
buried in*climate model*output and observational*climate*data, trying to
tease out the signal of human-caused*climate change*.... What is
disconcerting to me and so many of my colleagues is that these tools
that we've spent years developing increasingly are unnecessary because
we can see the impacts of climate change playing out in real time on our
television screens in the 24 hour news cycle....Regardless of how you
measure the impacts of climate change—whether it be food, water, health,
national security, our economy—climate change is already taking a great
toll. And we see that tool in the damage done by more extreme floods,
like the floods we've seen over the past year in Texas and in South
Carolina. We see it in the devastating combination of sea level rise and
more destructive hurricanes which has led to calamities like
"Superstorm" Sandy and what is now the perennial flooding of Miami
beach. We see it in the unprecedented drought, like that which continues
to afflict California, a doubling in the area of wildfire, fire burning
in the western U.S. and indeed, in the record heat we may see this
weekend in phoenix....The signal of climate change is no longer subtle.
It is obvious....As we head into the 2016 presidential election, it is
clear that polluting interests and other bad actors are mobilized. They
are doing their best to continue the attacks on science and scientists
whose findings threaten their bottom line, to distract the public, to
promote climate change denial propaganda and to support politicians who
will support their agenda of denial and inaction.

*"The best defense is to study the positions of the candidates and make
sure that climate action is at the top of your agenda when you go to the
voting booth this fall."*

    Shocking,' 'Plain Stupid': Theresa May Shuts*Climate Change*Office
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/07/15/shocking-plain-stupid-theresa-may-shuts-climate-change-office>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

Less than a day after becoming the U.K.'s unelected leader, Prime
Minister Theresa May closed the government's*climate change*office, a
move instantly condemned as "shocking" and "plain stupid." May shuttered
the Department for Energy and*Climate* ...

              ========================  ####
===============================

    Links are gleaned from various internet news sources by Richard
    Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information for
    citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair use asserted.

        The new .VOTE domain is designed to help voters, elected
        officials, governments, candidates, citizens and organizations
        exchange information   .VOTE and .VOTO sites are designed to
        support more honest political discourse.

        This domain must be used for democratic and election purposes
        and cannot be used solely for commercial purposes. Audits will
        be performed regularly to ensure compliance with the policies.

    Forward this email to your representatives and candidates  and you
    may subscribe/unsubscribe at
    https://pairlist10.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/theclimate.voteThe list
    membership is confidential and records are scrupulously restricted
    to this mailing list.