[TheClimate.Vote] July 17, 2016 Daily Global Warming news for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Sun Jul 17 09:01:42 EDT 2016

/July 17, 2016  by forwarding this email you help keep voters and
candidates well-informed about global warming
/

    Hillary Clinton:*Climate Change*'Is an Opportunity as Well as a
    Problem'
    <http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/hillary-clinton-climate-change-opportunity-well-problem>

CNSNews.com 	 -‎18 hours ago‎

(CNSNews.com) - Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, speaking at
Northern Virginia Community College in Annandale, Va., on Thursday, said
that*climate change*is "an opportunity as well as a problem." Clinton
said it is an "opportunity that smart*...*

    Changing cloud pattern worsens*global warming*, study says
    <http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/insight/2016/07/17/01-changing-cloud-pattern-worsens-global-warming-study-says.html>

Columbus Dispatch 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

In a new study published in Nature, scientists say they have for the
first time thoroughly documented one of the most profound planetary
changes yet to be caused by a warming*climate*: The distribution of
clouds all around the Earth has shifted, they say...
--Clouds increased over the northwest Indian Ocean, the northwest and
southwest tropical Pacific Ocean and north of the equator in the Pacific
and Atlantic oceans.
--Clouds decreased over mid-latitude oceans in both hemispheres —
especially over the North Atlantic — over the southeast Indian Ocean and
in a northwest-to-southeast line that stretches across the central
tropical South Pacific.
http://www.nature.com/news/clouds-get-high-on-climate-change-1.20230

    *Climate*activists try to engage millennials using 'Pokemon Go'
    <http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-climate-activists-try-to-engage-millennials-using-pokemon-go-20160716-story.html>

Chicago Tribune 	 -‎7 hours ago‎

Aiming to register millennials to vote, members of
NextGen*Climate*Illinois held a "Pokemon Go" event at Logan Square on
Saturday, using the popular gaming app to help spread the word on
environmental issues at stake in the upcoming general election*...**.*
digital director for NextGen Climate Illinois, said the organization has
embraced "Pokemon Go" as a tool to engage young voters throughout the
2016 election cycle... It’s just been a great way for our field
organizers to meet people where they are, to have conversations in their
communities. Even if they’re just getting off the 'L' and walking home,
people are playing 'Pokemon Go' in our neighborhoods," Files said. "So
we’re all about being able to meet people where they are, and engaging
the millennial base to turn out for the election."...Organizers dropped
"lures" — a tool that helps people catch Pokemon characters at game
locations called Pokestops — around the square, to draw people to the
area. Once they were engaged, members of NextGen approached gamers to
talk to them about the importance of being registered to vote and
committing to vote for candiates the group considers clean energy leaders.

    Nation's Largest Teachers Union Endorses Teaching "*Climate*Justice"
    <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-zinn-education-project/nations-largest-teachers_b_11035072.html>

Huffington Post 	 -‎9 hours ago‎

In May, the Portland, Oregon school board passed the country’s first
comprehensive "climate justice" resolution. The school board voted
unanimously to "abandon the use of any adopted text material that is
found to express doubt about the severity of the climate crisis or its
root in human activities," and called for all schools to teach a
"climate justice" curriculum. The Portland resolution said that students
in city schools "should develop confidence and passion when it comes to
making a positive difference in society, and come to see themselves as
activists and leaders for social and environmental justice—especially
through seeing the diversity of people around the world who are fighting
the root causes of climate change..."   That effort received a big boost
last week in Washington, DC, when the country’s largest union, the
National Education Association (NEA), voted at its national convention
to support the Portland resolution and to encourage state and local
affiliates to create and promote climate literacy resolutions in their
own communities, using the Portland resolution as a model. The NEA has
close to 3 million members, and its convention is dubbed "the world’s
largest deliberative assembly," with 7,000 delegates.Oregon teacher
Kathleen Jeskey was one of the delegates supporting the NEA resolution:
"Clearly teachers from all over the country see that it is past time to
teach our students the real science of*climate change*and properly
prepare them for the*...*

    'Chains of causality whose ends we cannot see'
    <http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/interview/amitav-ghosh-on-his-book-climate-change-and-the-unthinkable/article8860268.ece>

The Hindu 	 -‎11 hours ago‎

It’s time we humans shed our hubris to reckon with the forces of nature
shaping lives and fates, says Amitav Ghosh
It was happening, we knew that at the back of our minds, yet we
continued to ignore it, until one fine day it came to claim our lives...
Climate change — the upsetting of weather patterns across the world —
forms the core concern of Amitav Ghosh’s latest work of non-fiction, The
Great Derangement: Climate Change and the Unthinkable. It is dealt with
a touch of Márquezian magical realism as Ghosh speaks about the
inevitability of the very real ecological disaster unfolding in our
midst, so familiar yet unfathomably fantastic in its proportions. The
book, parts of which he delivered as a series of lectures at the
University of Chicago in 2015, not only raises crucial questions about
our lack of intellectual engagement with this natural phenomenon, but
also calls for a radical dismantling of the Enlightenment-era hubris
possessed by mankind, which sees "nature" as something outside of man... //
//

              ========================  ####
===============================

    Links are gleaned from various internet news sources by Richard
    Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information for
    citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair use asserted.

        The new .VOTE domain is designed to help voters, elected
        officials, governments, candidates, citizens and organizations
        exchange information   .VOTE and .VOTO sites are designed to
        support more honest political discourse.

        This domain must be used for democratic and election purposes
        and cannot be used solely for commercial purposes. Audits will
        be performed regularly to ensure compliance with the policies.

    Forward this email to your representatives and candidates  and you
    may subscribe/unsubscribe at
    https://pairlist10.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/theclimate.voteThe list
    membership is confidential and records are scrupulously restricted
    to this mailing list.