[TheClimate.Vote] July 29, 2016 - Daily Global Warming News for voters, candidates and officials

4 at TheClimate.Vote 4 at TheClimate.Vote
Fri Jul 29 09:46:55 EDT 2016

/Forward this email to voters and candidates to stay well-informed about
global warming  July 29, 2016/

*Hillary Clinton formally accepted the Democratic Party's nomination *
<http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/29/us/politics/hillary-clinton-dnc-transcript.html>
...to be the next US president. She used her acceptance speech to make
the following point: *"I believe in science. I believe that climate
change is real and that we can save our planet while creating millions
of good-paying clean energy jobs."*...The contrast with Donald Trump,
her Republican rival, could not be more stark. To highlight just how
different their respective positions are on energy and climate change,
Carbon Brief published an interactive tracker this week
<ttps://www.carbonbrief.org/us-election-tracker-republicans-democrats-energy-climate>,
which we will continue to update in the run-up to the vote in November.
We are also tracking the positions expressed by their running mates and
policy advisors, as well as the party manifestoes, or "platforms" as
they are referred to in the US.
https://www.carbonbrief.org/us-election-tracker-republicans-democrats-energy-climate

    <http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=54576>

    UN warns of more*heatwave*deaths as*climate change*pushes up
    temperatures <http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=54576>

UN News Centre 	 -‎16 hours ago‎

28 July 2016 - Warning of a possible rise in*heatwave*deaths due
to*climate change*, the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk
Reduction (UNISDR) today called for measures to reduce mortality from
this natural hazard....The warning came days after the World
Meteorological Organization (WMO) announced that global temperatures for
the first six months of this year reached new highs, setting 2016 on
track to be the hottest-ever on record, and the temperature hit 54
degrees Celsius in Kuwait last week....“Millions of people around the
world should be receiving heat-related warnings and advisories if we are
to avoid a repeat of the thousands of deaths which occurred last year
from heatwaves notably in Asia and Europe,” said Robert Glasser, the UN
Secretary-General's Special Representative for Disaster Risk
Reduction....From 2005 to 2014, an average of 25 major heatwaves were
recorded each year resulting in an annual average death toll of 7,232.
In 2015, the hottest year on record, there were 3,275 reported deaths
from heatwaves in France, 2,248 in India, and 1,229 in Pakistan.

    This Year, Every Vote Is a Vote for or Against*Climate Change*
    <http://www.wired.com/2016/07/year-every-vote-vote-climate-change/>

WIRED 	 -‎1 hour ago‎

In the decades since scientists first warned a US president
that*greenhouse gas*emissions would doom us all, no political party has
ever presented itself as taking the issue seriously during a
presidential election.

*Six Conflict Prevention Takeaways from New Climate and Conflict
Research*
<https://climateandsecurity.org/2016/07/28/six-conflict-prevention-takeaways-from-new-climate-and-conflict-research/>
CENTER FOR CLIMATE & SECURITY ...National Academy of Scientists
...researchers at the Potsdam Institute titled, Armed-conflict risks
enhanced by climate-related disasters in ethnically fractionalized
countries.  This is the latest in a growing body of research looking at
the links between climate change and conflict. ... The authors...find
evidence in global datasets that risk of armed-conflict outbreak is
enhanced by climate-related disaster occurrence in ethnically
fractionalized countries.  Although we find no indications that
environmental disasters directly trigger armed conflicts, our results
imply that disasters might act as a threat multiplier in several of the
world’s most conflict-prone regions....Coverage of this study focused on
the increased evidence that climate-related disasters and conflict are
linked, particularly in ethnically fractionalized societies, and that
violence may be more likely as climate impacts continue to accelerate.

    Pipeline Expansion Threatens US*Climate*Goals, Study Says
    <https://insideclimatenews.org/news/28072016/natural-gas-pipeline-expansion-fracking-fossil-fuels-threatens-us-climate-change-goals>

InsideClimate News 	 -‎20 hours ago‎

Proposed new and expanded pipelines that would pump natural gas from the
fracking hub in the Appalachian Basin to power plants and other
consumers throughout much of the eastern half of the U.S. will commit
the country to high carbon emissions. That level will be too high for
the U.S. to meet its climate goals, according to a report by the
environmental advocacy group Oil Change International....Collectively,
the 19 pending pipeline projects would enable a doubling of natural gas
production from the Marcellus and Utica shale formations of
Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia, according to the study published
last Friday on the group's website....The current
U.S.*climate*target—which may not be enough to help achieve the
international goal of limiting*global warming*to below 2 degrees Celsius
—is an emissions reduction of 83 percent from 2005 levels by 2050. The
study concludes that going*...*

    The global philosopher: Who should pay for*climate change*?
    <http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36900260>

BBC News 	 -‎Jul 27, 2016‎

Most climate scientists think the world is getting warmer and that
humans are at least in part responsible. Almost every country in the
world has pledged to make efforts to stabilise greenhouse gas
concentrations in the atmosphere in order to prevent dangerous
"interference with the climate system". But exactly how to do this
raises interesting questions about fairness....One brilliantly
innovative way to deal with*global warming*emissions is carbon trading.
Here, broadly, is the idea. Countries (or states, or companies), are
given an allowance to emit a certain amount of the gases that
cause*climate change*- ...These three issues hardly exhaust the
philosophy of climate change and the environment. There are all sorts of
other issues. We might ask ourselves whether, as individuals, we have
any responsibility for the future, since the impact any one of us can
have is negligible. We might wonder whether our obligation to people yet
unborn is less important than our obligation to those already alive.
Should the Rich World Pay for Climate Change?
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07lw4cx>   Audio debate
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07lw4cx

    <https://www.newsdeeply.com/arctic/articles/2016/07/28/scientists-rally-to-predict-arctic-sea-ice-melt>

    Scientists Rally to Predict*Arctic*Sea Ice Melt
    <https://www.newsdeeply.com/arctic/articles/2016/07/28/scientists-rally-to-predict-arctic-sea-ice-melt>

News Deeply 	 -‎11 hours ago‎

Every month throughout the summer, scientists submit and update their
predictions for the September minimum sea ice extent. What started as an
informal operation in 2008 has grown into an important tool for the
research community...The Sea Ice Prediction Network (SIPN) was launched
in 2008, releasing its first report on June 10 of that year. Then, as
now, the predictions spanned a large range, some lower than the
September 2007 minimum, some higher. But no one suggested the September
sea ice extent would return to the 7 million square kilometers (2.7
million square miles) it maintained between 1978 and 2000...Scientists
studying the age of the Arctic sea ice have found that it has become
younger and thinner since the 1970s. In March, the NSIDC reported that
70 percent of the sea ice covering the Arctic Ocean had been formed in
the past year and 30 percent consisted of multiyear ice. In the
mid-1980s, most of the ice was at least two years old.

    Dear corporate Canada: it's time to pay for your part in*climate
    change*
    <https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2016/jul/28/canada-emissions-climate-change-justin-trudeau-corporate-business>

The Guardian 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

Canada’s Justin Trudeau intends to unveil a program this fall that will
require big polluters in business to pay for their carbon emissions...By
2030, Canada intends to see its*greenhouse gas*emissions fall 30% from
the 2005 levels of 749 megatonnes. To get there, the country expects its
businesses to play an important role in a new plan...Carbon prices vary
considerably around the world, from less than $1 per tonne of emissions
in countries such as Mexico to $130 per tonne in Sweden, with 85% of
countries pricing carbon at below $10. Thurber believes Canada will set
the price at around $15 per tonne....“It’s been pretty well established
that that’s a level that drives some abatement activities but the
economic impact is fairly minor,” he said. “It’s big enough to be
meaningful but it’s not going to cripple them in the slightest.”

    Blasting "McCarthy-Like Overreach," State AGs,*Climate*Groups Won't
    Comply With GOP Subpoenas
    <http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/07/27/blasting-mccarthy-overreach-state-ags-climate-groups-wont-comply-gop-subpoenas>

Common Dreams (press release) 	 -‎Jul 27, 2016‎

"We're going to keep fighting this subpoena and keep ramping up our
campaign to hold Exxon and their friends accountable for their decades
long campaign to mislead the public about the threat of*climate
change*," said May Boeve, 350.org executive*...*

*China: A Nation Submerged (YouTube Video from CCTV News)*
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av_Gq14YfMo>Two thirds of China was
affected by flooding in recent months..  CCTV has too much video of the
flooding rescue and recovery operations  From the YouTube channel of
Understanding Climate Change <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av_Gq14YfMo>.

    *Climate Change*Modeling is Closer than You Think
    <http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2016/07/28/421596.htm>

Insurance Journal 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

Sousounis and other modelers say the industry, and particularly the
public sector, is coming to them for more information on impacts
from*climate change*- Are rising sea levels putting more properties at
risk? Are droughts being made worse? *...But lately it seems that more
cat modelers are being asked if they can include the effects of climate
change in their models, and at least one modeling firm is now gearing up
to offer just that.**Boston-based AIR Worldwide is developing better
tools to help its clients understand the risks of climate
change...“Insurers, reinsurers, financial institutions, and policymakers
are being asked increasingly tough questions about their resilience to
the possible effects of a changing climate. AIR takes an active role in
climate research and is committed to helping clients understand,
measure, and manage the associated uncertainties.”...The firm says its
scientists are collaborating with organizations like The Met Office,
Geosciences Australia and the Association of British Insurers to
quantify the financial impacts of climate change...*

*(humor?) Oil industry supporters are getting ever more creative with
their memes
<A%20Canadian%20advocate%20for%20oil%20sands%20recently%20learned%20just%20how%20fickle%20the%20internet%20can%20be.,,Robbie%20Picard,%20a%20former%20Alberta%20oil%20sands%20worker,%20posted%20a%20homemade%20meme%20to%20the%20Canada%20Oil%20Sands%20Community%20Facebook%20page%20this%20week.%20It%20showed%20two%20women%20kissing,%20and%20read:,,In+Canada+lesbians+are+considered+hot%21+In+Saudi+Arabia+if+you%E2%80%99re+a+lesbian+you+die%21+Why+are+we+getting+our+oil+from+countries+that+don%E2%80%99t+think+lesbians+are+hot?%21+Choose+equality%21+Choose+Canadian+oil%21>*
A Canadian advocate for oil sands recently learned just how fickle the
internet can be...Robbie Picard, a former Alberta oil sands worker,
posted a homemade meme to the Canada Oil Sands Community Facebook page
this week. It showed two women kissing, and read:  In Canada lesbians
are considered hot! In Saudi Arabia if you’re a lesbian you die! Why are
we getting our oil from countries that don’t think lesbians are hot?!
Choose equality! Choose Canadian oil!

              ========================  ####
===============================

    Links are gleaned from various internet news sources by Richard
    Paulifor http://TheClimate.Vote delivering succinct information for
    citizens and responsible governments of all levels.  Fair use asserted.

        The new .VOTE domain is designed to help voters, elected
        officials, governments, candidates, citizens and organizations
        exchange information   .VOTE and .VOTO sites are designed to
        support more honest political discourse.

        This domain must be used for democratic and election purposes
        and cannot be used solely for commercial purposes. Audits will
        be performed regularly to ensure compliance with the policies.

    Forward this email to your representatives and candidates  and you
    may subscribe/unsubscribe at
    https://pairlist10.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/theclimate.voteThe list
    membership is confidential and records are scrupulously restricted
    to this mailing list.