[TheClimate.Vote] April 23, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Apr 23 08:11:29 EDT 2017

/April 23, 2017

/Major TV network coverage
*Earth Day Protesters in hundreds of cities march for Science */(thanks
D.R. Tucker)/
*NBC News
<http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/nightly-news-full-broadcast-april-22nd-927490627796>***
http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/nightly-news-full-broadcast-april-22nd-927490627796
*ABC News
<http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/march-science-held-cities-world-calls-respect-funding/story?id=46956888&cid=clicksource_4380645_1_hero_headlines_bsq_hed>*
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/march-science-held-cities-world-calls-respect-funding/story?id=46956888&cid=clicksource_4380645_1_hero_headlines_bsq_hed
*PBS news <https://youtu.be/U9M6VU2ok6w>* https://youtu.be/U9M6VU2ok6w 16:30
*CBS news <https://youtu.be/Lwt0Fl02Er0>* https://youtu.be/Lwt0Fl02Er0 3:03/
/
/http://www.nbcnews.com/video/icue/29901277#30281416
*First Earth Day 1970, NBC News video
<http://www.nbcnews.com/video/icue/29901277#30281416>*
/NBC News coverage of a range of demonstrations and protests in Los
Angeles, New York, Philadelphia and Miami on the first Earth Day, April
22, 1970--and a scientist's prescient warning of global warming.

https://climatecrocks.com/2017/04/22/let-them-be-defeated-fearless-kids-press-climate-court-case/
*"Let Them Be Defeated". Fearless Kids Press Climate Court Case
<https://climatecrocks.com/2017/04/22/let-them-be-defeated-fearless-kids-press-climate-court-case/>*
April 22, 2017   video: https://youtu.be/oCpJ5hKLT0s 1:52
Our Children's Trust:

    "Exercising my 'reasoned judgment,' I have no doubt that the right
    to a climate system capable of sustaining human life is fundamental
    to a free and ordered society." - U.S. District Judge Ann Aiken..
    On November 10, 2016 Judge Ann Aiken issued an opinion and order
    denying the U.S. government and fossil fuel industry's motions to
    dismiss a constitutional climate change lawsuit filed by 21 youth.
    The decision means that the youth, age 9 to 20 and from all over the
    U.S., now have standing because their rights are at stake, and now
    their case is headed to trial....
    The youth had filed their constitutional climate lawsuit against the
    federal government in the U.S. District Court for the District of
    Oregon in 2015. Also acting as a plaintiff is world-renowned climate
    scientist Dr. James E. Hansen, serving as guardian for future
    generations and his granddaughter. Their complaint asserts that,
    through the governments affirmative actions in causing climate
    change, it has violated the youngest generation's constitutional
    rights to life, liberty, and property, as well as failed to protect
    essential public trust resources...

http://www.npr.org/2017/04/22/524557600/first-step-to-eco-grieving-over-climate-change-admit-theres-a-problem

    First Step To 'Eco-Grieving' Over*Climate Change*? Admit There's A
    Problem
    <http://www.npr.org/2017/04/22/524557600/first-step-to-eco-grieving-over-climate-change-admit-theres-a-problem>

NPR 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

Audio 3:55

    As they sit in a circle in the living room, Dick Meyer talks about
    why the problem of climate change made him emotional. Just thinking
    about the impacts of a shifting climate is making some, like Meyer,
    feel anxious and overwhelmed. This support group, which began
    meeting last year, is helping people cope.
    "And I think I came to the conclusion that it was the loss of the
    future - the future that I had lived knowing was going to be there -
    all of a sudden is gone," he says. "And that is really disorienting."
    Lise Van Susteren, a psychiatrist and climate activist in
    Washington, D.C., says people have climate anxiety...
    "Every single day we are told about what disasters are just around
    the corner," she says. "And this is being processed whether we know
    it consciously or not."..

http://www.climatecodered.org/2017/04/a-three-track-strategy-for-climate.html
*A three-track strategy for climate mitigation
<http://www.climatecodered.org/2017/04/a-three-track-strategy-for-climate.html>*
by Graeme Taylor

    *The challenge*,  In his analysis of the Paris Agreement on
    mitigating climate change, The Guardian's George Monbiot said: "By
    comparison to what it could have been, it's a miracle. By comparison
    to what it should have been, it's a disaster." On one hand the
    outcome was better than predicted as Article 2 states that parties
    to the agreement will hold global average temperature increases "to
    well below 2°C" and "pursue efforts" to limit this to 1.5°C.
    *A three track strategy*
    An effective strategy must address both short and long term goals:
    the need to greatly intensify current climate mitigation efforts
    within the next 5-10 years to avoid passing irreversible
    environmental tipping points, while simultaneously catalysing the
    structural changes required to produce a safe, stable climate by
    mid-century.
    Track 1: A strategic campaign to strengthen climate mitigation
    Track 2: A strategic campaign to win the ideological debate
    Track 3: A strategic campaign to accelerate systemic change
    Of course clarifying the major systemic problems and solutions is
    only the first step. We then have to determine how we can implement
    the necessary changes. This will require:
    *Vision:* a positive, ethical narrative and vision that a peaceful,
    sustainable world is both necessary and possible.
    *Strategy:* a clear strategy for global transformation.
    *Leadership:* support for the vision and strategy from a coalition
    of credible leaders representing a wide spectrum of cultures,
    institutions, and political and religious views.
    *Empowerment:* transformational media, social and technological
    tools designed to inform, catalyze and empower constructive change.
    and facilitating the self-organization of a synergistic
    "super-campaign" pursued at all levels of our interdependent global
    system.
    It will be an enormous challenge to create a sustainable world, but
    one our species must and can accomplish. The future is not fate-it
    is our choice.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/carbon-brief-interview-michael-gerrard
*The Carbon Brief Interview: Michael Gerrard
<https://www.carbonbrief.org/carbon-brief-interview-michael-gerrard>*
Michael Gerrard is the Andrew Sabin professor of professional practice
at Columbia Law School in New York, where he teaches courses on
environmental law, climate change law and energy regulation. He is also
the director of the Sabin Center for Climate Change Law. His books
include Global Climate Change and US Law.
snips from the audio interview:
https://soundcloud.com/carbonbrief/how-might-climate-litigation-be-used-in-the-coming-years
https://soundcloud.com/carbonbrief/why-do-republicans-have-such-an-extreme-reaction-to-climate-science-and-the-resulting-policies

    /-Gerrard on the election of Donald Trump:/ "In short, it's been
    catastrophic."
    /-On using the legal system to half Trump's anti-climate agenda:
    <https://www.carbonbrief.org/carbon-brief-interview-michael-gerrard#litigation>/
    "Trump will be slowed down by litigation. However, there's going to
    be a lot of litigation at the state level. I think that'll also be a
    key area of dispute."
    /-On Trump and the Clean Power Plan:/
    <https://www.carbonbrief.org/carbon-brief-interview-michael-gerrard#cpp>
    "Ultimately, they're probably going to be successful in repealing it."
    /-On the threat of Trump attacking the EPA endangerment finding that
    CO2 is a pollutant:/
    <https://www.carbonbrief.org/carbon-brief-interview-michael-gerrard#endangerment>
    "It doesn't now look like they're going to try to do that."
    /- On the Our Children's Trust lawsuit arguing that the federal
    government has violated the rights of the youngest generation with
    regard to climate change:/
    <https://www.carbonbrief.org/carbon-brief-interview-michael-gerrard#ourchildrenstrust>
    "Ultimately, if this case makes it's way to the supreme court, I do
    not believe that there will be a majority of the justices on the
    court who would uphold the conclusion of the district court. So I
    don't know how long lived that particular ruling will be. But, while
    it's out there, it's inspiring some other litigation in the United
    States and elsewhere."...
    /-On why so many Republicans reject climate science:/
    <https://www.carbonbrief.org/carbon-brief-interview-michael-gerrard#gopantiscience>
    "It's partly because of an ideology against government in general,
    and if you believe in climate change, and that it's caused largely
    by human activities, and that we need to do something about it, that
    necessarily leads to government action. And, if you don't want
    government action, then one psychological mechanism is to deny
    there's a problem that requires government action."
    /-On why so many Republicans reject climate science, continued:/
    <https://www.carbonbrief.org/carbon-brief-interview-michael-gerrard#gopantiscience2>
    "This denial of climate science is a deeply disturbing phenomenon…I
    think there are others, on the Republican side in Congress who deep
    down believe in the science of climate change, but they know they
    can get into political trouble if they say that publicly."
    /-On the role of the media with regard to climate change:/
    <https://www.carbonbrief.org/carbon-brief-interview-michael-gerrard#mediacc>"I
    think the media in the US have played a very negative role. As is
    their right under the first amendment."

http://wp.me/pOYWd-bA8
*Could Pentagon Give Cover to Conservative Climate Creep?
<http://wp.me/pOYWd-bA8>*
by greenman3610

    And by Conservative Climate Creep, I don't mean Lord Monckton. I
    mean the slow-walking, foot dragging, nose holding, spinach-eating
    kabuki theater of  republican legislators, increasingly beset by
    angry town hall crowds, where climate change has risen to the hot
    button level of the Affordable Care Act, Trump's Tax returns, and
    possible treasonous connections to Russia. […]

https://theconversation.com/us-business-schools-failing-on-climate-change-75905

    US Business Schools Failing on*Climate Change*
    <https://theconversation.com/us-business-schools-failing-on-climate-change-75905>

DeSmog (blog) 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    Coca-Cola and Nestlé have recently closed facilities, and Starbucks
    is bracing for a global shortage of coffee - all due to effects from
    climate change. Climate change impacts every resource used by
    businesses: from agriculture, water, land and energy ..
    The lukewarm corporate commitment to sustainability is, perhaps,
    unsurprising. One contributing factor may be the way in which
    corporate leaders are trained in business schools...
    Although sustainability is a growing theme in business school
    curricula, it's still relatively new – and relatively uncommon.
    Business schools have been slow to change and adapt...
    For our research <http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJSHE-07-2016-0135>, we
    studied 51 of the hundreds of business programs in the U.S. We found
    that when an introductory sustainable business course is offered, it
    often remains an elective in the business school curriculum. Only a
    few business schools offer minors, majors, certificates or graduate
    degrees in sustainability management or sustainable business..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/climate-change-and-health-are-inextricably-linked_us_58fb35ece4b0f420ad99c7ec

    *Climate Change*and Health are Inextricably Linked
    <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/climate-change-and-health-are-inextricably-linked_us_58fb35ece4b0f420ad99c7ec>

Huffington Post 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

Similarly, a WHO assessment concluded that*climate change*is expected to
cause approximately 250,000 additional deaths per year between 2030 and
2050.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/22/15386776/earth-day-best-sci-fi-books-bacigalupi-atwood-ballard

    14 sci-fi books about*climate change's*worst case scenarios
    <http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/22/15386776/earth-day-best-sci-fi-books-bacigalupi-atwood-ballard>

The Verge 	 -‎34 minutes ago‎

Today is Earth Day, an occasion used to highlight environmental
awareness and the state of our planet's health. Climate change has
become a major focus in recent decades, and while 120 nations across the
world ratified the Paris Agreement a year ago, significant challenges
remain in the years and decades to come. Which is to say that to think
about climate science is to think seriously and passionately about the
future.

    *THE MADDADDAM TRILOGY, MARGARET ATWOOD*
    Margaret Atwood is getting a lot of attention for her dystopian
    novel The Handmaid's Tale and its TV adaptation, but it would be a
    mistake to overlook her MaddAddam novels: Oryx and Crake, The Year
    of the Flood, and MaddAddam...
    *THE WINDUP GIRL AND THE WATER KNIFE, PAOLO BACIGALUPI*
    Over the course of his career, Paolo Bacigalupi focused on
    environmental issues, especially in his novels. The Windup Girl is a
    particularly chilling take on what the future could hold. Set
    centuries in the future, the oceans have risen and fossil fuels
    depleted, all while plagues and mutated invasive species cause
    widespread famine across the world. The book follows several
    characters in a futuristic Thailand...
    *THE DROWNED WORLD J.G. BALLARD*
    J.G. Ballard's 1962 novel is considered one of the best examples of
    early climate change fiction. The polar ice caps have melted and
    submerged much of the Northern hemisphere. As a biologist in London
    sets off on a mapping expedition, Ballard uses the novel to explore
    the unconscious impulses of humanity's survivors. As the world
    regresses, so to do its inhabitants. The morals that held society
    together disintegrate, and civilization unravels...
    *THE BROKEN EARTH TRILOGY, N.K. JEMISIN*
    N.K. Jemisin's books are some of the most original and eye-opening
    fantasies being published today, and these books have a particularly
    vibrant take on survival. Jemisin's world goes through cycles of
    catastrophes that upend humanity each time. The stress of the
    continual shifts leads to an oppressed people known as orogenes -
    mutated, or maybe just magical - who can use their powers to alter
    the planet, for better or worse. Jemisin investigates the alienation
    of her characters, and explores how society reacts when constantly
    bombarded by trauma...
    *CALIFORNIA, EDAN LEPUCKI*
    Edan Lepucki's debut novel California is more of literary take on
    climate change than some of the other selections on this list,
    though it shares an interest in the lengths people will go to
    survive when civilization begins to collapse. ..
    *NEW YORK 2140, KIM STANLEY ROBINSON*
    We reviewed Kim Stanley Robinson's latest novel a couple of weeks
    ago, but New York 2140 is book that likely paints the most realistic
    climate change scenario. Set over a century in the future, the
    inhabitants of New York City's MetLife Tower make their way through
    life amidst rising tides. While it's an optimistic and even funny
    novel, he uses the book to lay out the connections between
    unfettered capitalism and a warming climate, and warns that unless
    society-changing fixes are made, we will live with the consequences...
    *AREA X TRILOGY, JEFF VANDERMEER*
    If you're looking for something a bit more horrifying (as if these
    futures aren't terrifying enough) look no further than Jeff
    Vandermeer's novels Annihilation, Authority, and Acceptance. The
    Area X trilogy blends a changing world and climate with otherworldly
    and outright unexplainable horror....
    *GOLD FAME CITRUS BY CLAIRE VAYE WATKINS*
    ..Claire Vaye Watkins sets her novel in an American southwest that's
    been ravaged by drought. The region's remaining inhabitants -Mojavs
    - are prevented from escaping to better homes by armed vigilantes
    and an uncaring government...

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/state-planet-numbers-19027938
*This Day in Climate History April 23, 2013
<http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/state-planet-numbers-19027938> -
from D.R. Tucker*
ABC's "Nightline" profiles 350.org's Bill McKibben.

////safely forward this email./

        . *** Privacy and Security: * NO collecting IP addresses.  This
        is a text-only mailing.  It carries no graphics nor images which
        may originate from remote servers. Text-only messages provide
        greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List