[TheClimate.Vote] August 11, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Aug 11 08:12:36 EDT 2017

/August 11, 2017/

*State of the Climate  2016 The American Meteorological Society
<https://www.ametsoc.org/ams/index.cfm/publications/bulletin-of-the-american-meteorological-society-bams/state-of-the-climate/>
Special Supplement to the
Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society
Vol. 98, No. 8, August 2017
*An international, peer-reviewed publication released each summer, the
State of the Climate is the authoritative annual summary of the global
climate published as a supplement to the Bulletin of the American
Meteorological Society.
The report, compiled by NOAA's Center for Weather and Climate at the
National Centers for Environmental Information is based on contributions
from scientists from around the world. It provides a detailed update on
global climate indicators, notable weather events, and other data
collected by environmental monitoring stations and instruments located
on land, water, ice, and in space.
State of the Climate in 2016
This is the twenty-seventh issuance of the annual assessment now known
as State of the Climate. Surface temperature and carbon dioxide
concentration, two of the more publicly recognized indicators of
global-scale climate change, set new highs during 2016, as did several
surface and near-surface indicators and essential climate variables.
Notably, the increase in CO2 concentration was the largest in the nearly
six-decade observational record.
Download the authoritative summary:
https://www.ametsoc.org/ams/index.cfm/publications/bulletin-of-the-american-meteorological-society-bams/state-of-the-climate/
*NOAA confirms 2016 as hottest year on record for the planet
<https://usat.ly/2wMCQSJ>*
Last year's all-time record heat resulted from the combined influence of
long-term global warming and a strong El Niño early in the year.
Check out this story on USATODAY.com: https://usat.ly/2wMCQSJ

*(audio + transcript) Sailing To The North Pole, Thanks To Global
Warming
<http://www.npr.org/2017/08/10/542547005/sailing-to-the-north-pole-thanks-to-global-warming>*
A crew plans to leave Nome, Alaska Thursday and sail to the North Pole.
The voyage may now be possible due to sea ice melt in the Arctic caused
by climate change.
http://www.npr.org/2017/08/10/542547005/sailing-to-the-north-pole-thanks-to-global-warming

*(video + text) The Pacific Northwest could be a 'climate refuge'
<http://www.king5.com/entertainment/television/programs/evening/uw-global-warming-expert-pacific-northwest-could-be-a-climate-refuge/463125827>
*Atmospherics scientist Cliff Mass of the University of Washington said
that as global warming takes hold, we'll be better off than the rest of
the lower 48 states.
According to Mass, global warming will affect different parts of the US
in different ways.
"The Southwest United States is emphatically going to get drier," he
said. "The models are really all on board about that, and they start off
with a water resource problem right now. I mean they have too many
people living in an arid area with massive agriculture, so they're
already on the edge and so things are not going to get better there. On
the other hand, we expect precipitation to actually increase here in the
Northwest."...
Now before we get a repeat of the Dust Bowl migration, please remind
your out-of-state friends the great Northwest is also home to volcanoes,
earthquakes and our legendary rainy season.
http://www.king5.com/entertainment/television/programs/evening/uw-global-warming-expert-pacific-northwest-could-be-a-climate-refuge/463125827*

*
*Climate change has shifted the timing of European floods
<http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40889934>*
By Matt McGrath
In some regions, such as southern England, floods are now occurring 15
days earlier than they did half a century ago.
But the changes aren't uniform, with rivers around the North Sea seeing
floods delayed by around eight days.
The study has been published in the journal Science....
"The more serious concern is that if warming impacts the seasonality it
may also impact the scale of flooding," said Prof Blöschl.
"You could think of timing changes as the harbinger of future changes of
flood magnitude. That is the more serious concern. If that happens,
flood risk management will have to adapt and that will be different in
different parts of Europe."
Other experts believe that the changes in flood timing identified by
this study have significant implications for how we understand the risk
of river floods and how we deal with them.
"Nearly every major city and town in Europe is built on a river and we
protect this urban infrastructure by using past floods as a gauge of the
potential risk," said Mark Maslin, Professor of Climatology at
University College London.
"The study shows that this approach underestimates the risk, as climate
change has made European floods occur earlier in the year, increasing
their potential impact.
"This means all the infrastructure that we have built to protect our
cities needs to be reviewed as much of it will be inadequate to protect
us from future climate change-induced extreme flooding."*
*http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40889934*
Changing climate shifts timing of European floods
<http://science.sciencemag.org/content/357/6351/588>
*Flooding along the river
Will a warming climate affect river floods? The prevailing sentiment is
yes, but a consistent signal in flood magnitudes has not been found.
Blöschl et al. analyzed the timing of river floods in Europe over the
past 50 years and found clear patterns of changes in flood timing that
can be ascribed to climate effects (see the Perspective by Slater and
Wilby). These variations include earlier spring snowmelt floods in
northeastern Europe, later winter floods around the North Sea and parts
of the Mediterranean coast owing to delayed winter storms, and earlier
winter floods in western Europe caused by earlier soil moisture maxima.
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/357/6351/588*

New Orleans at risk of further floods after fire cuts power to pumps
<https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/10/new-orleans-vulnerable-louisiana-floods>*
With heavy rains forecast for Thursday,New Orleans
<https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/new-orleans>is in a "vulnerable
position" following a fire at one of the power stations that runs the
city's flood-control water pumps, its mayor has said."We are at risk if
we have a massive rain event," Mitch Landrieu said at an emergency 3am
press conference on Thursday.New Orleans is still reeling from a
day-long deluge on Saturday that caused flooding in several city
neighborhoods, with waist-high accumulations on streets in Mid-City,
Lakeview and elsewhere.The fire at the power station early on Thursday
further diminished the system's capacity to drain stormwater, and a
number of institutions, including most of the city's schools, elected to
close and brace for potentially crippling floods. Of the five turbine
generators that power New Orleans' water pumps, three were already down
for maintenance, leaving the city with just one after the
disruption."The power we have available to us now will not be enough to
pump the city out in the time needed," Landrieu said.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/10/new-orleans-vulnerable-louisiana-floods

*The Utilities Knew, Exxon Knew, Shell Knew, They All Knew
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-utilities-knew-exxon-knew-shell-knew-they-all_us_598aee87e4b030f0e267c8a8>*
Just a few days ago, an exhaustive report by the Energy and Policy
Institute revealed that public utilities have been aware of the dangers
of carbon dioxide emissions and the use of coal as an energy fuel since
the 1960s.
According to the study, in the 1970s, members of the Electric Power
Research Institute, a group financed by the utility industry, testified
before Congress that their own investigations have led them to believe
that "the fossil fuels combustion will be essentially unacceptable, an
important justification for expanding (...) solar energy options." And
by 1988, the same institute stated that, "There is growing consensus in
the scientific community that the greenhouse effect is real."
This story of planetary sabotage is practically identical to the
behavior of the fossil fuel industry in the past four decades. Two years
ago, Inside Climate News revealed Exxon, the world's largest oil and gas
company, was aware of the climate science since the late '70s. And what
did it do with that knowledge crucial for the future of humanity? It hid
it. And in the following years Exxon invested millions in clouding up
the public debate and discrediting the overwhelming scientific consensus
that reached the same conclusions.
The fuel that powers this planetary sabotage is called greed. The fossil
fuel industry worldwide has accumulated stratospheric levels of wealth
over the decades. Moreover, according to a report just published by
World Development, in 2015, fossil fuels received a staggering $5.3
trillion in subsidies around the world. This includes not only taxpayer
money but also the costs of deaths caused by pollution and these fuels'
contribution to the climate crisis.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-utilities-knew-exxon-knew-shell-knew-they-all_us_598aee87e4b030f0e267c8a8

*Republicans' inverse evolution on climate change, as told by 3
presidential candidates
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/08/09/republicans-inverse-evolution-on-climate-change-as-told-by-3-presidential-candidates/>*
For at least the past decade, Republican Party leaders' position on
climate change has evolved inverse to scientific evidence.
  1 -   Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) could be considered the most
pro-climate-change-action Republican to ever win the nomination. When he
launched his campaign for president, McCain was a leader in the
Republican Party on climate change."I believe climate change is real,"
he said on his campaign website. "I think it's devastating. I think we
have to act and I agree with most experts that we may at some point
reach a tipping point where we cannot save our climate."
But as the campaign went on, McCain slowly and subtly backed away from
his act-or-else position. Ultimately, he picked an open climate change
skeptic, Sarah Palin, as his running mate.
After he lost the election and was back in the Senate, McCain's
evolution as a climate change skeptic was complete. He started calling
cap-and-trade — something he had supported since at least 2003 - a "cap
and tax."
2-   Romney used Barack Obama's support for climate change action as an
attack against the president: "President Obama promised to begin to slow
the rise of the oceans and heal the planet. My promise … is to help you
and your family," he said in his nominating speech.
After the election Romney appeared to switch his positions - this time,
back to his original assertion that climate change is a problem.
"I'm one of those Republicans who thinks we are getting warmer and that
we contribute to that," he told the Associated Press in 2015.
3 - 2016: "I am not a great believer in man-made climate change" And, as
The Washington Post's Philip Bump documents extensively, Trump took just
about every position possible on climate change when he got into the
race. But the overriding theme was skepticism.
"I am not a great believer in man-made climate change. I'm not a great
believer," he told The Post as he was on his way to the nomination.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/08/09/republicans-inverse-evolution-on-climate-change-as-told-by-3-presidential-candidates/

*(lecture) Biological Response to Climate Change: Dr Thomas Cronin (May
2017) <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo3zo-g3rgw>*
Video 1:13:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo3zo-g3rgw

ELECTRICITY
*($) What will the eclipse mean for solar power?
<https://www.eenews.net/greenwire/2017/08/07/stories/1060058461>*
Sam Mintz, E&E News reporter
Published: Monday, August 7, 2017
As solar eclipse-chasers are gazing up at the sky later this month, grid
operators and energy companies will be anxiously staring at their
monitors as they work to compensate for a temporary loss of solar power...
The Aug. 21 eclipse slated to cross the United States from Oregon to
South Carolina will cause problems for thousands of utility-scale solar
power plants in the United States but is not likely to dent the
reliability of the country's power system, according to analysis from
the U.S. Energy Information Administration.
The eclipse will obscure sunlight at approximately 1,900 solar plants,
but only a small portion of the country's solar capacity - 17
facilities, mostly in eastern Oregon - is in the 73-mile-wide path of
totality, where the sun will be completely obscured, the EIA report says...
Solar plants outside the path of totality will be less affected,
depending on how much of the sun is blocked in different regions...
Possibly the highest stakes are in California, which has 8.8 GW of
utility-scale solar. The state's grid operator has estimated that
California will lose nearly half of that capacity, 4.2 GW, during the
eclipse, which is expected to affect the state for nearly three hours in
the morning. The state, however, is outside the path of totality...
"We will ramp up generation to compensate for lost solar production, and
there is plenty of capacity to meet need. It is not unusual for the ISO
grid operators to manage ramps this large on certain days," CAISO wrote
in a FAQ.
...right now contributes only a very small percentage of energy in the
United States. But that's a trend that's changing - a May EIA report
found, for example, that utility-scale solar has grown rapidly over the
last five years.
"We are seeing it really take off lately," she said. "So the next time
we have an eclipse, we might see a much bigger impact."
https://www.eenews.net/greenwire/2017/08/07/stories/1060058461

*Extremely Nasty Climate Wake-Up
<https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/07/24/extremely-nasty-climate-wake-up/>*
by ROBERT HUNZIKER
Now that the Great Acceleration dictates the biosphere with ever more
intensity, sudden changes in the ecosystem are causing climate
scientists to stop and ponder what's happening to our planet, like never
before… hmm!
The Great Acceleration: "Only after 1945 did human actions become
genuine driving forces behind crucial Earth systems," (J.R.McNeill/Peter
Engelke, The Great Acceleration, The Belknap Press of Harvard University
Press, Cambridge, London, 2014, pg. 208).
Additionally, there is new evidence of threat by subsea permafrost,
which could set off Runaway Global Warming ("RGW") recently revealed in
an interview with Dr. Natalia Shakhova and Dr. Igor Semiletov
(International Arctic Research Center, University of Alaska Fairbanks,
Akasofu Building, Fairbanks, Alaska) about their paper published in
Nature Communication Journal, Current Rates and Mechanisms of Subsea
Permafrost Degradation in the East Siberian Arctic Shelf, Article No.
15872 June 22, 2017. This is esoteric research that is not found in
typical models of future climate behavior. It is an example of what can
go wrong much faster than ever anticipated.
According to Dr. Shakova: "As we showed in our articles, in the ESAS
(East Siberian Arctic Shelf), in some places, subsea permafrost is
reaching the thaw point. In other areas it could have reached this point
already. And what can happen then? The most important consequence could
be in terms of growing methane emissions… a linear trend becomes
exponential. This edge between it being linear and becoming exponential
is very fine and lies between frozen and thawed states of subsea
permafrost. This is what we call the turning point…. Following the logic
of our investigation and all the evidence that we accumulated so far, it
makes me think that we are very near this point. And in this particular
point, each year matters. This is the big difference between being on
the linear trend where hundreds and thousands of years matter, and being
on the exponential where each year matters."...
Speaking of various types of permafrost (1) permafrost in ESAS subsea,
or (2) permafrost on land in Siberia, or (3) Alaska permafrost there's a
new discovery that is spooky, downright spooky. Aircraft measurements of
CO2 and CH4, as well as confirmation of those measurements from
scientific measuring devices on towers in Barrow, Alaska show that over
the course of two years Alaska emitted the equivalent of 220 million
tons of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere from biological sources
alone, not anthropogenic (Source: Elaine Hannah, Alaska's Thawing Soils
Cause Huge Carbon Dioxide Emissions Into The Air, Science World Report,
May 12, 2017).
That is equivalent to all the emissions from the U.S. commercial sector
per annum. Why is that happening? Alaska is hot, that's why, and it may
be a climate tipping point that self-perpetuates global warming, no
human hands needed, or in the nasty colloquial, the start of Runaway
Global Warming. That's as bad as nasty climate wake-up calls get, nature
overtaking anthropogenic global warming duties.
What could be worse than incipient Runaway Global Warming?
Answer: Impending Nuclear War.
https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/07/24/extremely-nasty-climate-wake-up/

*(video) This Day in Climate History August 11, 2011
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2h8ujX6T0A&sns=em>  -  from D.R. Tucker*
August 11, 2011: GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney declares that
corporations are human beings (presumably ones that need clean air,
clean water and a stable climate).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2h8ujX6T0A&sns=em

////You are encouraged to forward this email /

        . *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that
        subscribe,  To Unsubscribe, subject: unsubscribe
        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List