[TheClimate.Vote] Feb 3, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News for All -

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Feb 3 10:11:14 EST 2017

/Stay well-informed about global warming - Please forward this email.
February 3, 2017///

    President Trump, Military Split on*Climate Change*
    <http://www.voanews.com/a/president-trump-military-split-on-climate-change/3702979.html>

Voice of America 	 -‎8 hours ago‎

    A nondescript metal box at the end of an unremarkable pier in
    Norfolk, Va. is one key to why the U.S. Navy is concerned
    about*climate change*. For nine decades, the Sewells Point tide
    gauge or its ancestors have been recording the sea level off Pier 6*...
    The commander-in-chief, President Donald Trump, has called global
    warming a hoax, although he now says there is *"*some
    connectivity*"* between human activity and climate change...
    The Pentagon, on the other hand, takes the risks of climate change
    seriously...
    Rising seas threaten coastal installations. Severe storms can cut
    off supply routes. Extreme heat limits training...
    *"*The military has seen climate change as a problem since 2003, if
    not earlier,*"* says retired Army Gen. Gerry Galloway, now with the
    Center for Climate and Security...
    National security threats from climate change are included in eight
    defense and intelligence documents published before President Obama
    took office, according to the center...
    *"*Climate change acts as a threat multiplier for instability in
    some of the most volatile regions of the world,*"* a group of
    high-ranking former military officials wrote in a landmark 2007
    report....
    These conditions *"*foster the conditions for internal conflicts,
    extremism and movement toward increased authoritarianism and radical
    ideologies.*"*..
    Planning for the impacts accelerated under the Obama administration.
    In 2014, DOD published a *"*Climate Change Adaptation Roadmap*"*
    <http://www.acq.osd.mil/eie/Downloads/CCARprint_wForward_e.pdf>
    outlining risks and responses.
    http://www.acq.osd.mil/eie/Downloads/CCARprint_wForward_e.pdf ...
    See also: New Briefer: Why the U.S. National Security Community
    Takes Climate Risks Seriously
    <https://climateandsecurity.org/2016/12/21/why-the-u-s-national-security-community-takes-climate-risks-seriously/>
    https://climateandsecurity.org/2016/12/21/why-the-u-s-national-security-community-takes-climate-risks-seriously/**...*

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/science/climate-change-republicans.html

      Republicans Try a New Tack on*Climate Change*
    <https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/science/climate-change-republicans.html>

New York Times 	 -‎5 hours ago‎

    Several variations on the new approach were on display recently
    during confirmation hearings for some of President Trump's cabinet
    nominees....
    ....the moral case for action is pretty clear: We have to get to
    zero emissions, the sooner the better. Mr. Trump's nominees have so
    far displayed scant willingness to come to grips with that...
    ... Dr. Pierrehumbert and several other experts said the public
    should not be fooled. The deep consensus among climate scientists,
    arrived at through decades of research, is that human activity is
    the cause of most of the planetary warming of recent decades, and
    probably all of it.
    Perhaps surprisingly, though, the congressional hearings did offer
    glimmers of hope.
    Rex W. Tillerson, who won confirmation on Wednesday as Mr. Trump's
    secretary of state, implied that he might try to keep the nation
    committed to a big international deal on climate change reached in
    Paris in 2015...
    But the most interesting statements came from Rick Perry, Mr.
    Trump's nominee to head the Department of Energy. Under questioning,
    Mr. Perry, the former Texas governor, was surprisingly positive
    about the role the federal government might play in developing
    advanced clean-energy technology.
    Many people — Bill Gates among them — see this as the most urgent
    issue. Renewable energy and greater use of natural gas are helping
    lower emissions in the short run, but if we do not invest heavily in
    research and development now, we may not have the technology we will
    eventually need to get to zero emissions....
    People like Mr. Gates and the entrepreneur Elon Musk are working on
    Mr. Trump. If the president's mind is really open on global warming,
    as he said after the election, perhaps he could also sit down with a
    few of our brightest climate scientists.
    "If we always have to go back and debate the facts, we're never
    going to get to the solutions," said Ken Caldeira, a California
    climate expert who has helped to educate Mr. Gates. "Can't we at
    least start with the facts and go from there?"    --Justin Gillis

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/feb/02/a-punchy-climate-book-from-a-citizen-scientist
*A punchy climate book from a citizen scientist
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/feb/02/a-punchy-climate-book-from-a-citizen-scientist>*

    The book is entitled Twenty-eight Climate Change Elevator Pitches
    written by Rob Honeycutt - a contributor to Skeptical Science. This
    book covers topics typically in 2-3 pages. Really short, really
    concise, always on point. Rob uses analogies to help describe
    climate science in ways that the rest of us can relate. He includes
    both basic science chapters as well as myth debunking. For instance,
    he relates geological climate change to a boxing match.
    The basic science topics he covers include titles such as "Ancient
    Sunlight", "Radiative Gases", and "The Climate System". He also
    includes 2-3 page discussions on temperature measurements, ocean
    warming and sea level rise, acidification, ice, past climate change,
    tipping points, and more. Included with each chapter are rich and
    engaging graphics.
    I also like that this book is simultaneously a warning but also
    optimistic. He is correct that climate change is a serious problem
    that we need to face. But, he is also right on in recognizing that
    there are solutions to this problem that can be implemented
    immediately. Furthermore, as Rob writes, ignoring the problem will
    be more injurious than facing it head on.
    The book is available on theiBooks
    <https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id1196605903>store and
    throughBlurb
    <http://www.blurb.com/b/7717032-28-climate-change-elevator-pitches-soft-cover-b-w>.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/jetliner-742911-arrive-most.html

    To solve*climate change*, the passengers must now fly the plane
    <http://www.ocregister.com/articles/jetliner-742911-arrive-most.html>

OCRegister 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    When it comes to*climate change*, most Americans are like the
    passengers on a jetliner wanting to arrive safely at their
    destination but thinking there's no need to be involved with the
    actual flying of the plane.  The "people in charge," surely, have
    things under control....Lately, however, the plane has experienced a
    rough ride: ...
    All this turbulence is prompting some of the passengers to rise from
    their seats, walk to the cockpit and check with the pilot. Upon
    opening the door, however, they are shocked to see no one seated at
    the controls...
    It's time for the passengers to start flying the plane, and by
    passengers, we mean citizens. This entails setting aside cynicism
    about our government and engaging with people in Congress who
    represent us in Washington. Government will respond to the will of
    the people, provided the people tell the government what we want.
    Engaging with our government also requires us to seek common ground
    between Republicans and Democrats. We can find that common ground by
    listening as much as we talk.
    Hopeful signs emerged in 2016 with the creation of the bipartisan
    House Climate Solutions Caucus, which has equal membership from both
    sides of aisle. The caucus creates a safe space for Republicans and
    Democrats, weary of the bickering and posturing surrounding the
    climate issue, to have an honest dialogue about ways to reduce the
    risks we face in a warming world...
    None of this can happen, however, unless we take control of the
    plane and put it back on course. As Apollo astronaut Rusty
    Schweickart once said, "We aren't passengers on spaceship Earth,
    we're the crew. We aren't residents on this planet, we're citizens.
    The difference in both cases is responsibility."  ... Mark Reynolds
    is executive director of Citizens' Climate Lobby.

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/epa-climate-web-pages-change-21133
*Trump's EPA Has Begun Removing Climate Change Information From Its
Website
<http://www.climatecentral.org/news/epa-climate-web-pages-change-21133>*

    Some of the EPA's climate pages have been relabeled and language has
    been changed, providing insights....
    Agency's website has begun to transform under the Trump
    administration...
    ... researchers have found what are likely the first steps in a
    major overhaul .... Federal climate plans created under former
    President Obama, tribal assistance programs, and references to
    international cooperation have been stricken from the site...
    A mention of carbon pollution as a cause of climate change has also
    been removed and adaptation has been emphasized, indicating an
    attempt to separate the cause of climate change from the response.
    Some of the changes — like removing mentions to programs and task
    forces that have run their course as well as broken links — are
    housekeeping, according to an agency statement..
         "If the public is unaware of partnerships depending on the EPA,
    it may be easier to shrink the EPA without raising as much concern,"
    said Gretchen Gehrke, a data quality manager at Public Lab and a
    member of the Environmental Data and Governance Initiative (EDGI)....
    Obama's legacy is being wiped away. One common theme running through
    the alterations is removing references to Obama-era projects such as
    the Climate Action Plan and other federal roadmaps to address
    climate change. The international partnership page also lost a
    paragraph affirming the U.S. commitment to the United Nations
    climate negotiations.
    An EPA spokesperson said that all the changes were routine and in
    line with agency guidelines.
    *Mentions of local commitments and partnerships have been scaled
    back. *The EPA could also be heading toward a pull back from
    supporting U.S. communities, including some of the poorest in the
    country. The updated partners page has removed mentions of the
    Tribal Environmental General Assistance Program.
    That program provided $65.5 million to tribes across the U.S. in
    2016 to help increase their ability to prepare for and adapt to
    climate and other environmental changes. ...
    *International commitments could be in jeopardy.* The EPA site is
    also missing mentions of the United Nations and the Organization for
    Economic Cooperation and Development. That includes a paragraph on
    the EPA's international partnerships page stating that the U.S. is
    committed to the international community through the United Nations
    climate talks....
    *Climate change is being disassociated from carbon pollution.* In
    the process of removing a mention of Obama's Climate Action Plan,
    the partnerships page also no longer mentions carbon pollution as a
    cause of climate change. Removing the commitment to the United
    Nations process also came with removing a statement linking
    greenhouse gas emissions to climate change.
    That's underscored by a report from InsideEPA, an online news
    service that monitors the agency, showing that the Trump
    administration could soon start to remove what it's deemed as
    "propaganda" from the EPA site. Given Pruitt's dim views on the link
    between climate change and carbon pollution, it's likely that those
    references will be in jeopardy.
    https://insideepaclimate.com/daily-news/epa-expected-remove-climate-propaganda-not-data-website
    $
    *EPA Expected To Remove Climate 'Propaganda,' Not Data, From Website
    <https://insideepaclimate.com/daily-news/epa-expected-remove-climate-propaganda-not-data-website>*
    EPA is expected to soon begin removing what one source close to the
    Trump administration calls climate change "propaganda" from its
    website, but it is not expected to remove data on greenhouse gas
    emissions and other climate change science. "Eventually . . . the
    propaganda will get removed, so the only question is when," the
    source says. "Most of what is there is not data. Most of what is
    there is interpretation." The source's comments suggest the new
    administration will...

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/texas-bill-would-shield-exxon-from-potential-suit-over-climate-change/gFHuRP34WEQDcqkZF1ZzFN/

    Texas bill would shield Exxon from potential suit over*climate
    change*
    <http://www.mystatesman.com/news/texas-bill-would-shield-exxon-from-potential-suit-over-climate-change/gFHuRP34WEQDcqkZF1ZzFN/>

MyStatesman.com 	 -‎4 hours ago‎

    White told the American-Statesman he had in mind Irving-based Exxon,
    which Democratic state attorneys general targeted last year,
    claiming the company had lied to investors and the public about the
    threat of*climate change*. "There have been some ...

    Cancer,*climate change*and sex crimes? These plays took some guts
    <http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/ct-cancer-sex-crime-plays-ott-0203-20170201-column.html>

Chicago Tribune 	 -‎2 hours ago‎

    Over at Steep Theatre, "Earthquakes in London" is making the point
    that the question of whether or not we want to talk about*climate
    change*won't stop its impact on the lives of our children and
    grandchildren. That sounds like a dry topic, of course*...*

http://education.iceandsky.com/
*(interactive multimedia) Education.IceandSky.com
<http://education.iceandsky.com/>*

    Humanity is cutting off the branch on which it developed. ..Never
    before have industrialized countries been as wealthy or as powerful
    as they are today. Never before have we lived as long. The
    industrial era has allowed us to materialize the wonders of fairy
    tales and myths, at the cost of a rapid and massive deterioration of
    our environment.
    Man is at the center of climate change; he is both its cause and its
    first victim. The world society must make a choice before it is too
    late.

    UC, CSU faculty members write open letter to Trump on*climate
    change*
    <http://www.dailycal.org/2017/02/01/uc-csu-faculty-members-write-open-letter-trump-climate-change/>

Daily Californian 	 -‎11 hours ago‎

    The purpose of the letter, it states, is to show the degree to which
    there is a consensus among scientists and academics that*climate
    change*is caused by humans. Among the signees were 48 members of the
    campus department of environmental science, ...

    Donald Trump Signing Executive Order Declaring*Climate Change*A
    Threat Is Fake News
    <http://www.business2community.com/government-politics/donald-trump-signing-executive-order-declaring-climate-change-threat-fake-news-01769494>

Business 2 Community 	 -‎3 hours ago‎

    Reports that President Donald Trump signed an executive order
    declaring*climate change*"an immediate threat both to the economy
    and to national security" are false.

https://thinkprogress.org/is-a-march-for-science-a-terrible-idea-or-is-the-new-york-times-blaming-the-victims-c84b3c77e538#.497hra6k2
*Is a March for Science a 'terrible idea,' or is the New York Times
blaming the victims?*
<https://thinkprogress.org/is-a-march-for-science-a-terrible-idea-or-is-the-new-york-times-blaming-the-victims-c84b3c77e538#.497hra6k2>

    Let's be clear: The war on science is a war on your prosperity, your
    security, and your children's future. And the most dangerous form
    this war has taken is the war on climate science. The president, his
    White House advisers, and the cabinet are active deniers of climate
    science who plan to thwart both global and domestic climate action,
    thereby ruining a livable climate for your children and the next 50
    generations. (ThinkProgress, Joe Romm column
    <https://thinkprogress.org/is-a-march-for-science-a-terrible-idea-or-is-the-new-york-times-blaming-the-victims-c84b3c77e538#.497hra6k2>)

    World-leading climate change scientist calls for 'rebellion' against
    Donald Trump
    <http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-climate-change-rebellion-michael-mann-global-warming-scientists-a7556696.html>

The Independent 	 -‎Feb 1, 2017‎

    The new US President dismissed climate change as a Chinese hoax
    before the US election and since then has appointed a string of
    people with links to the fossil fuel industry and a track record
    of*global warming*scepticism to senior positions in his ...

    *Climate Change*Will Kill the Groundhog Day Groundhog
    <http://gizmodo.com/climate-change-will-kill-the-groundhog-day-groundhog-1791918483>

Gizmodo 	 -‎6 hours ago‎

    If the climate trends warmer, then spring really will seem to come
    earlier. So, by my own conclusion,*climate change*will actually
    yield better Groundhog Day predicting power over time.

https://www.publicintegrity.org/2017/01/31/20651/donald-trumps-inauguration-fueled-tobacco-oil-and-drug-company-money
*Donald Trump's inauguration fueled by tobacco, oil and drug company
money
<https://www.publicintegrity.org/2017/01/31/20651/donald-trumps-inauguration-fueled-tobacco-oil-and-drug-company-money>*

    Big corporations with money riding on President Donald Trump's
    policies helped pick up the tab for Trump's inaugural festivities
    earlier this month, new disclosures show.
    Microsoft Corp., Exxon Mobil Corp., Amgen Inc. and Altria Client
    Services LLC reported giving $500,000 each, ...
    Exxon Mobil Corp. reported making its contribution on Dec. 19, the
    week after Trump announced he would nominate Rex Tillerson, the
    company's chairman and CEO, as secretary of state.

*This Day in Climate History  February 3
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20998-2004Dec22.html> -
from D.R. Tucker*

    On "The Alan Colmes Show," climate scientist Michael E. Mann
    explains the risks of the Keystone XL pipeline.
    http://radio.foxnews.com/2014/02/03/audio-michael-mann-explains-why-approving-the-keystone-xl-pipeline-would-send-america-down-the-wrong-path/

        citizens and responsible governments of all levels.   List
        . *** Privacy and Security: * We do NOT collect IP addresses.
        This is a text-only mailing. It carries no graphics or images
        which may originate from remote servers that routinely track and
        identify IP address. Text-only messages provide greater privacy
        to the receiver and sender.  If you receive a version of this
        document in an email  with a graphics image - even a
        one-pixel-sized image, for optimal privacy from tracking, you
        should not open it. **
        commercial purposes. .