[TheClimate.Vote] November 14, 2017 - Daily Global Warming News

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Nov 14 09:35:53 EST 2017

/November 14, 2017/

*Thousands of scientists issue bleak 'second notice' to humanity
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2017/11/13/thousands-of-scientists-issue-bleak-second-notice-to-humanity/>*
In late 1992, 1,700 scientists from around the world issued a dire
"warning to humanity."
<http://www.ucsusa.org/about/1992-world-scientists.html> They said
humans had pushed Earth's ecosystems to their breaking point and were
well on the way to ruining the planet. The letter listed environmental
impacts like they were biblical plagues - stratospheric ozone depletion,
air and water pollution, the collapse of fisheries and loss of soil
productivity, deforestation, species loss and  catastrophic global
climate change caused by the burning of fossil fuels.
"If not checked," wrote the scientists, led by particle physicist and
Union of Concerned Scientists co-founder Henry Kendall, "many of our
current practices put at serious risk the future that we wish for human
society and the plant and animal kingdoms, and may so alter the living
world that it will be unable to sustain life in the manner that we know."
But things were only going to get worse.
To mark the letter's 25th anniversary, researchers have issued a bracing
follow-up. In a communique published Monday in the journal BioScience
<http://scientists.forestry.oregonstate.edu/sites/sw/files/Ripple_et_al_warning_2017.pdf>,
more than 15,000 scientists from 184 countries assess the world's latest
sorely wanting.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2017/11/13/thousands-of-scientists-issue-bleak-second-notice-to-humanity/
-
*Communique in the journal BioScience
<http://scientists.forestry.oregonstate.edu/sites/sw/files/Ripple_et_al_warning_2017.pdf>*
http://scientists.forestry.oregonstate.edu/sites/sw/files/Ripple_et_al_warning_2017.pdf
-
*1992 World Scientists' Warning to Humanity
<http://www.ucsusa.org/about/1992-world-scientists.html#.WgqLYlu3xpg>*
Some 1,700 of the world's leading scientists, including the majority of
Nobel laureates in the sciences, issued this appeal in November 1992.
The World Scientists' Warning to Humanity was written and spearheaded by
the late Henry Kendall, former chair of UCS's board of directors.
Introduction:

    "Human beings and the natural world are on a collision course. Human
    activities inflict harsh and often irreversible damage on the
    environment and on critical resources. If not checked, many of our
    current practices put at serious risk the future that we wish for
    human society and the plant and animal kingdoms, and may so alter
    the living world that it will be unable to sustain life in the
    manner that we know. Fundamental changes are urgent if we are to
    avoid the collision our present course will bring about."

*WHAT WE MUST DO*
Five inextricably linked areas must be addressed simultaneously:/(1992
version)/
*We must bring environmentally damaging activities under control to
restore and protect the integrity of the earth's systems we depend on...*
*We must manage resources crucial to human welfare more effectively...*
*We must stabilize population...**
**We must reduce and eventually eliminate poverty...**
**We must ensure sexual equality, and guarantee women control over their
own reproductive decisions...*
http://www.ucsusa.org/about/1992-world-scientists.html#.WgqLYlu3xpg

*COP 23: Protesters Disrupt Trump "Coal for Climate" Meeting
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx7Gth87EGA>*
At Bonn COP23 conference.
Protesters disrupted the embarrassing US panel at Bonn's climate
conference
<https://livestream.com/nexusmedia/events/7933808?utm_content=buffera1b0d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer>,
which portrayed the US position that coal is a solution to climate change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx7Gth87EGA
-
*Top Democrats stage anti-Trump revolt at Bonn climate summit
<https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/12/democrats-climate-summit-bonn-trump-244814>*
'I want to make it clear: The federal government is not just the
president of the United States,' Sen. Ben Cardin says.
BONN, Germany - A handful of Democratic governors and scores of other
lawmakers and mayors are mounting an insurgency at the United Nations
climate conference here, orchestrating a highly choreographed campaign
to persuade world leaders that President Donald Trump doesn't speak for
the United States on climate change.
Several Democratic U.S. senators began meeting last week with officials
from other countries, seeking to minimize Trump's withdrawal from the
Paris climate agreement. Meanwhile, the governors of California,
Virginia, Oregon and Washington - along with mayors from throughout the
nation - were expected to touch off a blitz of public appearances at the
conference as the meeting enters its final week.
On Saturday, Democratic politicians, climate activists and like-minded
business interests sought to present the United States as a country
divorced from its president. Speakers repeated the slogan, "We are still
in," a message splayed across an electronic ticker and on buttons at the
unofficial U.S. pavilion. The pavilion's estimated $235,000 cost was
being covered by a coalition including former New York Mayor Michael
Bloomberg and the billionaire environmentalist Tom Steyer.
He added, "I mean, [Trump] can prohibit EPA employees from talking to
the public, and he can remove the word 'climate' from all the government
websites. But he can't stop the technological and business revolution
that's gaining speed around the world and especially in the U.S."
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/12/democrats-climate-summit-bonn-trump-244814
-
*(video) "We are Still In": Sen. Markey & U.S. Lawmakers Stage
Anti-Trump Revolt at UN Climate Talks in Bonn
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz-rcBdZrbg>*
https://democracynow.org - Despite President Trump's vows to pull the
United States out of the landmark 2015 Paris accord, there are a number
of U.S. senators, mayors and governors who are staging an anti-Trump
revolt at the U.N. Climate Change Conference in Bonn, Germany. We speak
with Senator Ed Markey of Massachusetts, who is part of a coalition that
rejects Trump's vow to pull the U.S. out of the Paris deal. Markey also
addresses need for more resources in Puerto Rico as some 3.5 million
U.S. citizens there still lack electricity as they recover from
Hurricane Maria, and discusses the Trump's threats of nuclear war
against North Korea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz-rcBdZrbg

Annals of Science    November 20, 2017
*Can Carbon-Dioxide Removal Save the World?
<https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/11/20/can-carbon-dioxide-removal-save-the-world>*
CO2 could soon reach levels that, it's widely agreed, will lead to
catastrophe.
*By Elizabeth Kolbert*
Carbon Engineering, a company owned in part by Bill Gates, has its
headquarters on a spit of land that juts into Howe Sound, an hour north
of Vancouver.
Corless and his team are engaged in a project that falls somewhere
between toxic-waste cleanup and alchemy. They've devised a process that
allows them, in effect, to suck carbon dioxide out of the air. Every day
at the plant, roughly a ton of CO2 that had previously floated over Mt.
Garibaldi or the Chief is converted into calcium carbonate. The pellets
are subsequently heated, and the gas is forced off, to be stored in
cannisters. The calcium can then be recovered, and the process run
through all over again.
"If we're successful at building a business around carbon removal, these
are trillion-dollar markets," Corless told me.
Carbon-dioxide removal is, potentially, a trillion-dollar enterprise
because it offers a way not just to slow the rise in CO2 but to reverse
it. The process is sometimes referred to as "negative emissions":
instead of adding carbon to the air, it subtracts it. Carbon-removal
plants could be built anywhere, or everywhere. Construct enough of them
and, in theory at least, CO2 emissions could continue unabated and still
we could avert calamity. Depending on how you look at things, the
technology represents either the ultimate insurance policy or the
ultimate moral hazard...
One of the reasons we've made so little progress on climate change, he
contends, is that the issue has acquired an ethical charge, which has
polarized people. To the extent that emissions are seen as bad, emitters
become guilty. "Such a moral stance makes virtually everyone a sinner,
and makes hypocrites out of many who are concerned about climate change
but still partake in the benefits of modernity," he has written.
Changing the paradigm, Lackner believes, will change the conversation.
If CO2 is treated as just another form of waste, which has to be
disposed of, then people can stop arguing about whether it's a problem
and finally start doing something...
No one can say exactly how warm the world can get before disaster-the
inundation of low-lying cities, say, or the collapse of crucial
ecosystems, like coral reefs-becomes inevitable. Officially, the
threshold is two degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) above
preindustrial levels...
The I.P.C.C. considered more than a thousand possible scenarios. Of
these, only a hundred and sixteen limit warming to below two degrees,
and of these a hundred and eight involve negative emissions. In many
below-two-degree scenarios, the quantity of negative emissions called
for reaches the same order of magnitude as the "positive" emissions
being produced today.
"The volumes are outright crazy," Oliver Geden, the head of the E.U.
research division of the German Institute for International and Security
Affairs, told me. Lackner said, "I think what the I.P.C.C. really is
saying is 'We tried lots and lots of scenarios, and, of the scenarios
which stayed safe, virtually every one needed some magic touch of a
negative emissions. If we didn't do that, we ran into a brick wall.' "...
Experts I spoke to said that the main reason C.C.S. [/carbon capture
storage/] hasn't caught on is that there's no inducement to use it.
Capturing the CO2 from a smokestack consumes a lot of power-up to
twenty-five per cent of the total produced at a typical coal-burning
plant. And this, of course, translates into costs. What company is going
to assume such costs when it can dump CO2 into the air for free?
"If you're running a steel mill or a power plant and you're putting the
CO2 into the atmosphere, people might say, 'Why aren't you using carbon
capture and storage?' " Howard Herzog, an engineer at M.I.T. who for
many years ran a research program on C.C.S., told me. "And you say,
'What's my financial incentive? No one's saying I can't put it in the
atmosphere.' In fact, we've gone backwards in terms of sending signals
that you're going to have to restrict it."...
"beccs is unique in that it removes carbon and produces energy," Glen
Peters, a senior researcher at the Center for International Climate
Research, in Oslo, told me. "So the more you consume the more you
remove." He went on, "In a sense, it's a dream technology. It's solving
one problem while solving the other problem. What more could you want?"...
Negative emissions are built into the I.P.C.C. scenarios and the climate
agreements that rest on them...
"You might say it's against my self-interest to say it, but I think
that, in the near term, talking about carbon removal is silly," David
Keith, the founder of Carbon Engineering, who teaches energy and public
policy at Harvard, told me. "Because it almost certainly is cheaper to
cut emissions now than to do large-scale carbon removal."...
For these reasons, many experts argue that even talking (or writing
articles) about negative emissions is dangerous. Such talk fosters the
impression that it's possible to put off action and still avoid a
crisis, when it is far more likely that continued inaction will just
produce a larger crisis...
One of the peculiarities of climate discussions is that the strongest
argument for any given strategy is usually based on the hopelessness of
the alternatives: this approach must work, because clearly the others
aren't going to. This sort of reasoning rests on a fragile premise-what
might be called solution bias. There has to be an answer out there
somewhere, since the contrary is too horrible to contemplate...
As a technology of last resort, carbon removal is, almost by its nature,
paradoxical. It has become vital without necessarily being viable. It
may be impossible to manage and it may also be impossible to manage
without.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/11/20/can-carbon-dioxide-removal-save-the-world

*More Utilities Betting on Renewables*
<https://climatecrocks.com/2017/11/13/more-utilities-betting-on-renewables/>
Motley Fool:
American Electric Power (NYSE:AEP)
<https://www.fool.com/quote/nyse/american-electric-power/aep>, who
generates nearly half of its electricity from coal, says it will invest
$1.8 billion in renewable energy by 2020. That's only about 10% of its
total capital spending, but it's a transition other utilities have
already begun.
In a press release discussing its future investments, AEP said it will
invest $1.8 billion in renewable energy between 2018 and 2020, which
seems small compared to its $18.2 billion capital spending plans. But if
you pull out $4.4 billion in investment for distribution systems and $9
billion for transmission assets you see that only $3.0 billion will be
allocated to fossil fuel generating assets.
The 2018 to 2020 plan is also on top of a $4.5 billion investment in the
2,000 MW Wind Catcher project in Oklahoma
<https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/07/29/oklahoma-to-be-home-of-worlds-second-largest-wind.aspx>,
which will be the world's second-largest wind farm. In total, AEP will
spend more on building/buying renewable energy assets than fossil fuels
in the next few years.
*A shift is happening at U.S. utilities*
The transition to renewable energy is happening because utilities see
the economics of wind and solar energy as too good to pass up. And
they're putting billions into building their renewable energy businesses
<https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/11/09/solar-stocks-are-a-great-buy-again.aspx>.
Duke Energy has 2,300 MW of wind power and 600 MW of solar, investing $4
billion in renewables since 2007. It's even investing in battery storage
as a new generation of grid asset.
NextEra Energy's subsidiary NextEra Energy Resources says it is the
world's largest generator of electricity from the wind and solar. On top
of that, the company has a controlling interest in NextEra Energy
Partners (NYSE:NEP
<https://www.fool.com/quote/nyse/nextera-energy-partners/nep>), one of
the biggest renewable energy yieldcos in the world.
AES has taken a leadership position in energy storage through a
partnership with Siemens called Fluence. This is on top of 25% of its
power generation portfolio coming from renewable sources.
https://climatecrocks.com/2017/11/13/more-utilities-betting-on-renewables/

TED
*(TED video) What's hidden under the Greenland ice sheet? | Kristin
Poinar <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nbeD1mwCdo>*
Published on Nov 6, 2017
The Greenland ice sheet is massive, mysterious - and melting. Using
advanced technology, scientists are revealing its secrets for the first
time, and what they've found is amazing: hidden under the ice sheet is a
vast aquifer that holds a Lake Tahoe-sized volume of water from the
summer melt. Does this water stay there, or does it find its way out to
the ocean and contribute to global sea level rise? Join glaciologist
Kristin Poinar for a trip to this frozen, forgotten land to find out.
The TED Talks channel features the best talks and performances from the
TED Conference, where the world's leading thinkers and doers give the
talk of their lives in 18 minutes (or less). Look for talks on
Technology, Entertainment and Design - plus science, business, global
issues, the arts and more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nbeD1mwCdo

*(list) New research, October 30 - November 5, 2017
<http://www.skepticalscience.com/new_research_20171030.html>*
Posted on 10 November 2017 by Ari Jokimäki
A selection of new climate related research articles is shown below.*
**Climate change***
*1. Observed warming over northern South America has
ananthropogenicorigin
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00382-017-3988-z>*
**"/Results indicate that the recently observed warming in the dry
seasons is well beyond the range of natural (internal) variability. In
the wet season the natural modes of variability explain a substantial
portion of Tmin and Tmax variability. We demonstrate that the
large-scale component ofgreenhouse gas(GHG) forcing is detectable in
dry-seasonal warming. However, none of the global andregionalclimate
changeprojections reproduce the observed warming of up to 0.6 K/Decade
in Tmax in 1983 - 2012 over northern SA during the austral spring (SON).
Thus, besides the global manifestation ofGHGforcing, other external
drivers have an imprint./"
*2. Observed changes in temperature extremes over Asia and
theirattribution
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00382-017-3927-z>
*"/We determined that the warmingtrendwas inconsistent with the natural
variability of theclimate systembut agreed withclimate responses
toexternal forcingas simulated by the models. Theanthropogenicand
natural signals could be detected and separated from each other in
theregionfor almost all indices, indicating the robustness of the
warming signal as well as theattributionof warming to external causes./"
*3. Reduced cooling following future volcanic eruptions
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00382-017-3964-7>
*"/Using earth system model simulations we find that the
eruption-induced cooling is significantly weaker in the future state.
This is predominantly due to an increase in planetaryalbedocaused by
increased tropospheric aerosol loading with a contribution from
associated changes in cloud properties./"
*4. The 2015droughtin Washington State: a harbinger of things to come?
<http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa8fde/meta>
*"/In contrast to most historicaldroughts, which have been driven by
precipitation deficits, our results suggest that 2015 is a useful analog
of typical conditions in the Pacific Northwest by the mid-21st century./"
*5. Changes in intense tropical cyclone activity for the western North
Pacific during the last decades derived from aregionalclimate
modelsimulation
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00382-016-3420-0>
*"/Long-termtrends (1948 - 2011 and 1959 - 2001) in both simulations
show a strong increase of intense tropical cyclone activity. This
contrasts with pronounced multidecadal variations found in observations./"
*6. Role of theNorth Atlantic Osci llationin decadal temperaturetrends
<http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa9152/meta>*
*7. Intensified impact ofNorth Atlantic Oscillationin May on subsequent
July Asian inland plateau precipitation since the late 1970s
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joc.5332/abstract>*
*8. Teleconnectionbetween Atlantic Multidecadal Variability and European
temperature: diversity and evaluation of theCMIP5 models
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017GL074886/abstract>*
*9. Possible effect of the Tibetan Plateau on the "upstream"climateover
West Asia, North Africa, South Europe and the North Atlantic
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00382-017-3966-5>*
*10. Impacts of Tropical North AtlanticSSTon Western North Pacific
Landfalling Tropical Cyclones
<http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0325.1>
**11. Extreme multi-basin flooding linked with extra-tropical cyclones
<http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa868e/meta>
**12. Synoptic Characteristics of Surge-Producing Extratropical Cyclones
along the Northeast Coast of the United States
<http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/JAMC-D-17-0123.1>
**13. Global landsurface temperaturefrom the Along-Track Scanning
Radiometers
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017JD027161/abstract>
**14. In situ temperature measurements in the uppertroposphereand
lowermoststratospherefrom 2 decades of IAGOS long-term routine
observation <https://www.atmos-chem-phys.net/17/12495/2017/>
**15. Characterizing transient temperature trajectories for assessing
the value of achieving alternative temperature targets
<https://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10584-017-2100-3>*
*16. Characteristics of a partially debris-coveredglacierand its
response to atmospheric warming in Mt. Tomor, Tien Shan, China
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921818117300863>
**17. Assessment ofclimate changetrends over the Loess Plateau in China
from 1901 to 2100
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joc.5331/abstract>
**18. The role of land surface fluxes in Saudi-KAUAGCM: Temperature
climatology over the Arabian Peninsula for the period 1981 - 2010
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0169809517300303>
**19. Dark ice dynamics of the south-westGreenland Ice Sheet
<https://www.the-cryosphere.net/11/2491/2017/>*
*20. Developments in Simulating and Parameterizing Interactions Between
the Southern Ocean and the AntarcticIce Sheet
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs40641-017-0071-0>*
*21. Observationally constrained surfacemass balanceof Larsen Cice
shelf, Antarctica <https://www.the-cryosphere.net/11/2411/2017/>
**22. On the sensitivity of Antarcticsea icemodel biases to atmospheric
forcing uncertainties
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00382-017-3972-7>
**23. SubmesoscaleSea Ice-Ocean Interactions in Marginal Ice Zones
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017JC012895/abstract>
**24. Analysis of the airflow at the centre of the upper plateau on the
Iberian Peninsula and its link toCO2andCH4 concentrations
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joc.5323/abstract>
**25. On the relationship between Atlantic Niño variability and ocean
dynamics <https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00382-017-3943-z>
**26. Response of viticulture-related climatic indices and zoning to
historical and futureclimateconditions in Greece
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joc.5320/abstract>
**27. Systematic Errors in Weather andClimate Models: Nature, Origins,
and Way Forward
<http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/BAMS-D-17-0287.1>
**28. Discrepancies in the climatology andtrends of cloud cover in
global andregionalclimate models for the Mediterraneanregion
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017JD027147/abstract>
**29. Origin of the warm eastern tropical AtlanticSSTbias in aclimate
model <https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00382-017-3984-3>
**30. Rainfall Characteristics of Recurving Tropical Cyclones Over the
Western North Pacific
<http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/JCLI-D-17-0415.1>
**31. Investigation of Changes in Extreme Temperature and Humidity over
China through a DynamicalDownscalingApproach
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017EF000678/abstract>
**32. Satellite-retrieved directradiative forcingofaerosolsover
North-East India and adjoining areas: climatology and impact assessment
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joc.5325/abstract>
**33. Attributionandmitigationofheatwave-induced urbanheatstorage change
<http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa922a/meta>
**34. Increase in the skewness of extratropical vertical velocities
withclimatewarming: fully nonlinear simulations versus moist baroclinic
instability <http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/qj.3195/abstract>
**35. Understanding, modeling and predicting weather andclimateextremes:
Challenges and opportunities
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212094717300440>
**36. Spatial and temporal analysis ofdroughtvariability at several time
scales in Syria during 1961 - 2012
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0169809517305744>
**37. Future changes inclimateextremes over Equatorial East Africa based
onCMIP5 multimodelensemble
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11069-017-3079-9>
**38. Comparison of the effect of land-sea thermal contrast on
interdecadal variations in winter and summer blockings
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00382-017-3954-9>
**39. Denitrification, dehydration andozoneloss during the 2015/2016
Arctic winter <https://www.atmos-chem-phys.net/17/12893/2017/>
**40. What controls springtime fine dust variability in the western
United States? Investigating the 2002-2015 increase in fine dust in the
U.S. Southwest
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017JD027208/abstract>
**Climate changeimpacts*
*41. Uncertain recovery of the North Atlantic right whale in a changing
ocean <http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gcb.13929/abstract>
*"/Contrary to previous predictions, the right whale population is
projected to recover in the future as long as prey availability and
mortality rates remain within the ranges observed during 1980 - 2012.
However, recent events indicate a northward range shift in right whale
prey, potentially resulting in decreased prey availability and/or an
expansion of right whale habitat into unprotected waters. An annual
increase in the number of whale deaths comparable to that observed
during the summer 2017 mass mortality event may cause a decline to
extinction even under conditions of normal prey availability./"
*42. Extremely low genetic diversity across mangrove taxa reflects
pastsea level changes and hints at poor future responses
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gcb.13968/abstract>
*"/We also used a recent series of flooding events in Yalong Bay,
southern China, to test the robustness of mangroves tosea level changes
in relation to their genetic diversity. The events resulted in the death
of half of the mangrove trees in this area. Significantly, less
genetically diverse mangrove species suffered much greater destruction.
The dieback was accompanied by a drastic reduction in local invertebrate
biodiversity. We thus predict that tropical coastal communities will be
seriously endangered as the global sea level rises./"
*43. Observed long-term greening of alpine vegetation-a case study in
the French Alps
<http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa84bd/meta>
*"/The timing of accelerated greening prior to 2000 coincided with a
pronounced increase in the amount of snow-free growing degree-days that
occurred during the 1980s and 1990s. In the case of grasslands and
low-shrub habitats, we did not find evidence for a negative effect of
grazing on greeningtrends, possibly due to the low grazing intensity
typically found in the study area. We propose that the emergence of a
longer and warmer growing season enabled high-elevation plant
communities to produce morebiomass, and also allowed for plant
colonization of habitats previously characterized by long-lasting snow
cover./"
*44. Vulnerability of Coral Reefs to Bioerosion From Land-BasedSources
of Pollution
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017JC013264/abstract>
*"/Our results show that eutrophication of reef seawater by
land-basedsources of pollution can magnify the effects of OA through
nutrient driven-bioerosion. These conditions could contribute to the
collapse of coastal coral reefecosystems sooner than currentprojections
predict based only onocean acidification./"
*45. Carbon dioxideand submersed macrophytes in lakes: linking
functional ecology to community composition
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ecy.2030/abstract>
**46. Quantitative losses vs. qualitative stability of ectomycorrhizal
community responses to 3 years of experimental summerdroughtin a
beech-spruceforest
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gcb.13957/abstract>
**47. Assessing species climatic requirements beyond the realized niche:
some lessons mainly from tree species distribution modelling
<https://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10584-017-2107-9>
**48. Latitude, temperature and habitat complexity predict predation
pressure in eelgrass beds across the Northern Hemisphere
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ecy.2064/abstract>
**49. Glacial melt content of water use in the tropical Andes
<http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa926c/meta>
**50. Criminological Perspectives onClimate Change, Violence and Ecocide
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs40641-017-0075-9>
**51. Empowerment,climate changeadaptation, and agricultural production:
evidence from Niger
<https://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10584-017-2096-8>
**52. Predicting the outbreak of hand, foot, and mouth disease in
Nanjing, China: a time-series model based on weather variability
<https://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00484-017-1465-3>
**53. Prioritizing coastalecosystemstressors in the Northeast United
States under increasingclimate change
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1462901117305567>
**54. Mightclimate changethe "healthy migrant" effect?
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959378017301450>
**55. The Impact ofClimate Changeon Agriculture: Findings from
Households in Vietnam
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10640-017-0189-5>
**56. The suitability of /Macadamia/ and /Juglans/ for cultivation in
Nepal: an assessment based on spatial probability modelling usingclimate
scenarios and in situ data
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10113-017-1225-2>*
*57. Impact ofclimate variabilityon coffee yield in India-with a
micro-level case study using long-term coffee yield data of humid
tropical Kerala
<https://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10584-017-2101-2>
**58. Warming and top predator loss driveecosystemmultifunctionality
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ele.12873/abstract>
**59. Climatemediates the success of migration strategies in a marine
predator <http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ele.12871/abstract>
**60. Simulating the recent impacts of multiple biotic disturbances
onforestcarbon cycling across the United States
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gcb.13974/abstract>*
*61. Vapor-pressure deficit and extreme climatic variables limit tree
growth <http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gcb.13973/abstract>
**62. Elevatedcarbon dioxideand warming impact silicon and
phenolic-based defences differently in native and exotic grasses
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/gcb.13971/abstract>
**63. Future riverine inorganic nitrogen load to the Baltic Sea from
Sweden: Anensembleapproach to assessingclimate changeeffects
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2016GB005598/abstract>
**Climate changemitigation*
*64. Household installation of solar panels  -  Motives and barriers in
a 10-year perspective
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S030142151730722X>
*"/Highlights//
• Comparison of motives and barriers for installing photovoltaic panels
in 2008 and 2014.//
• Environmental motives have been consistent, financial incentives has
been added.////
• investment cost remained a barrier.//
• New barriers increased administrativeburdenand finding information.////
• Installation has disappeared as a barrier./"*
65. Evaluating the electricity intensity of evolving water supply mixes:
the case of California's water network
<http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa8c86/meta>
*"/Electricity intensity (kWh m^−3 ) will increase in aridregions of the
state due to shifts to alternative watersources such as indirect potable
water reuse, desalination, and water transfers. In wetter, typically
less populated,regions, reduced water demand for electricity-intensive
supplies will decrease the electricity intensity of the water supply
mix, though total electricity consumption will increase due to urban
population growth./"
*66. Slowing down the retreat of the Morteratschglacier, Switzerland, by
artificially produced summer snow: a feasibility study
<https://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10584-017-2102-1>
*"/It takes about 10 years before snow deposition in the higher ablation
zone starts to affect the position of theglaciersnout. For the case of
modest warming, the difference inglacierlength between the snow and
no-snow experiments becomes 400 to 500 m within two decades./"
*67. My neighbourhood, my country or my planet? The influence of
multiple place attachments andclimate changeconcern on social acceptance
of energy infrastructure
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0959378016304472>
**68. Bayesian versus politically motivated reasoning in human
perception ofclimateanomalies
<http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa8cfc/meta>
**69. Quantitative assessment of carbonsequestrationreduction induced by
disturbances in temperate Eurasian steppe
<http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa849b/meta>
**70. AClimatefor Art: Enhancing Scientist-Citizen Collaboration In
Bangladesh <http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/BAMS-D-16-0044.1>
**71. Why the IPCC should evolve in response to theUNFCCCbottom-up
strategy adopted in Paris? An opinion from the French Association for
Disaster Risk Reduction
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1462901117310109>
**72. Public opinion and environmental policy output: a cross-national
analysis of energy policies in Europe
<http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa8f80/meta>
**73. The Relationships among Actual Weather Events, Perceived Unusual
Weather, Media Use, and Global Warming Belief Certainty in China
<http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/WCAS-D-17-0058.1>
**74. Global consequences ofafforestationand bioenergy cultivation
onecosystemservice indicators
<https://www.biogeosciences.net/14/4829/2017/>*
*75. Impact of biofuels on contrail warming
<http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa893b/meta>
**Other papers*
*76. Spatial-temporal characteristics of aerosol loading over the
Yangtze River Basin during 2001 - 2015
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joc.5324/abstract>
*"/There is no significant AODtrendover most areas of the Yangtze River
Basin during 2001 - 2015, while strong decreasingtrends are found over
most of the middle and lower Yangtze Basin during 2011 - 2015. These
decreasingtrends may relate to changes in annual precipitation, wind
speed, and air-pollution control policies./"
*77. North Atlantic influence onHoloceneflooding in the southern Greater
Caucasus <http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0959683617735584>
**78. Quantifying the Release ofClimate-Active Gases by Large Meteorite
Impacts With a Case Study of Chicxulub
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017GL074879/abstract>
**79. Is there 1.5-million-year-old ice near Dome C, Antarctica?
<https://www.the-cryosphere.net/11/2427/2017/>
**80. Reconstructing Northeastern United States temperatures using
Atlantic white cedartree rings
<http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa8f1b/meta>
**81. Designing theClimateObserving System of the Future
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017EF000627/abstract>*
*<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017EF000627/abstract>*http://www.skepticalscience.com/new_research_20171030.html

*This Day in Climate History November 14, 2012
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlF6ikIbjGU>  -  from D.R. Tucker*
November 14, 2012: At a post-election press conference, President Obama
declares:
"I think the American people right now have been so focused, and will
continue to be focused on our economy and jobs and growth, that if the
message is somehow we’re going to ignore jobs and growth simply to
address climate change, I don’t think anybody is going to go for that.
I won’t go for that. If, on the other hand, we can shape an agenda that
says we can create jobs, advance growth, and make a serious dent in
climate change and be an international leader, I think that’s something
that the American people would support."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlF6ikIbjGU
to this mailing. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that