[TheClimate.Vote] April 2, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Apr 2 10:19:43 EDT 2018

/April 2, 2018/

[Climate refugees]
*Climate change soon to cause movement of 140m people, World Bank warns
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/mar/19/climate-change-soon-to-cause-mass-movement-world-bank-warns>*
Fiona Harvey, Environment correspondent
Tens of millions in three regions of the developing world expected to
migrate before 2050 unless environment is improved
Climate change will result in a massive movement of people inside
countries and across borders, creating "hotspots" where tens of millions
pour into already crowded slums, according to the World Bank.
More than 140 million people in just three regions of the developing
world are likely to migrate within their native countries between now
and 2050, the first report on the subject has found.
The World Bank examined three regions, which between them account for
55% of the developing world's population. In sub-Saharan Africa, 86
million are expected to be internally displaced over the period; in
south Asia, about 40 million; and in Latin America, 17 million.
Such flows of people could cause enormous disruption, threatening
governance and economic and social development, but the World Bank
cautioned that it was still possible to stave off the worst effects.
"Climate change-driven migration will be a reality, but it does not need
to be a crisis, provided we take action now and act boldly," said John
Roome, a senior director for climate change at the World Bank group.
He laid out three key actions governments should take: first, to
accelerate their reductions of greenhouse gases; second, for national
governments to incorporate climate change migration into their national
development planning; and third, to invest in further data and analysis
for use in planning development...
more at:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/mar/19/climate-change-soon-to-cause-mass-movement-world-bank-warns

[NYTime$]
*Biggest Threat to Humanity? Climate Change, UN Chief Says
<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/29/climate/united-nations-climate-change.html>*
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/29/climate/united-nations-climate-change.html

[Combined efforts by US Govt Agencies]
*About Feed the Future <https://feedthefuture.gov/about>*
The Global Food Security Act of 2016 strengthens Feed the Future's
existing accountability mechanisms and establishes parameters for robust
Congressional oversight, monitoring and evaluation of impact.
*Country Partners*
The U.S. Government cannot do all things, do them well, and do them
everywhere. That's why we're striving for a meaningful, sustained impact
in more focused locations. We currently target efforts in 19 focus
countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America and the Caribbean.
Our focus countries, in consultation with stakeholders, set agricultural
development and food security priorities in actionable, comprehensive
national development and investment plans. These plans guide our
investments and provide a foundation for our partner countries to
accelerate their progress toward achieving the Sustainable Development
Goals.
*Government Agencies*
Led by the U.S. Agency for International Development, Feed the Future
draws on the agricultural, trade, investment, development and policy
resources and expertise of 11 federal agencies. We're putting
whole-of-government into practice.
https://feedthefuture.gov/about
- - - - - -
U.S. Government Global Food Security Strategy (FY 2017-2021)
October 1st, 2016
This Global Food Security Strategy (pdf, 3.42mb)
<https://feedthefuture.gov/sites/default/files/resource/files/USG_Global_Food_Security_Strategy_FY2017-21_0.pdf>
presents an integrated whole-of-government strategy and agency specific
implementation plans as required by the Global Food Security Act of 2016
(GFSA). This strategy reflects the unique skills, resources, and lessons
learned from U.S. federal departments and agencies that contribute to
global food security, as well as input from partners throughout the
private sector, academic institutions, and civil society. It charts a
course for the U.S. Government to contribute to the achievement of
global food security and the range of Sustainable Development Goals
(SDGs), together with partners across the globe.
USG_Global_Food_Security_Strategy_FY2017-21.pdf
https://feedthefuture.gov/sites/default/files/resource/files/USG_Global_Food_Security_Strategy_FY2017-21_0.pdf
https://feedthefuture.gov/about

[Canada politics ]
*McKenna has 'no time' for climate change deniers
<https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/mckenna-has-no-time-for-climate-change-deniers-1.3865161>*
OTTAWA – Federal Environment Minister Catherine McKenna says she has "no
time" for political adversaries who don't believe climate change is real.
During an interview with CTV Question Period host Evan Solomon, McKenna
smacked down critics of the Liberals' climate change plan and price on
carbon.
"I have no time for folks who are like, you know, 'We shouldn't take
action,'" she said. "I don't have time for politicians that play cynical
games about climate action."
Asked whether she viewed having time for people as part of her role as a
federally elected official, she said: "I have time for Canadians who
disagree with me, and I have conversations with them all the time…. But
I don't have time for politicians that pretend that climate change isn't
real."
Saskatchewan is strongly opposed to the federal carbon tax, and both
Alberta United Conservative Leader Jason Kenney and Ontario Progressive
Conservative Leader Doug Ford have said they'd rail against it if they
become premier of their respective provinces.
McKenna said she isn't worried about potential legal challenges to the
federal government's imposition of a per tonne price on pollution should
some provinces not put in place their own system by Jan. 1, 2019.
"They'll lose in court," she said, asserting that it is within the
federal jurisdiction to implement a carbon pricing system.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/mckenna-has-no-time-for-climate-change-deniers-1.3865161

[CO = Carbon Monoxide]
*NASA Earth Observatory Global Maps Carbon Monoxide
<https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/GlobalMaps/view.php?d1=MOP_CO_M>*
Download an animation of this dataset
<https://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/globalmaps/data/mov/MOP_CO_M.mov>
Colorless, odorless, and poisonous, carbon monoxide is one of the six
major air pollutants regulated in the United States and in many other
nations around the world. When carbon-based fuels, such as coal, wood,
and oil, burn incompletely or inefficiently, they produce carbon
monoxide. The gas is spread by winds and circulation patterns throughout
the lower atmosphere (called the troposphere).
These maps show monthly averages of global concentrations of
tropospheric carbon monoxide at an altitude of about 12,000 feet. The
data were collected by the MOPITT (Measurements Of Pollution In The
Troposphere) sensor on NASA's Terra satellite. Concentrations of carbon
monoxide are expressed in parts per billion by volume (ppbv). A
concentration of 1 ppbv means that for every billion molecules of gas in
the measured volume, one of them is a carbon monoxide molecule. Yellow
areas have little or no carbon monoxide, while progressively higher
concentrations are shown in orange and red. Places where the sensor
didn't collect data, perhaps due to clouds, are gray.
In different parts of the world and in different seasons, the amounts
and sources of atmospheric carbon monoxide change. In Africa, for
example, the seasonal shifts in carbon monoxide are tied to the
widespread agricultural burning that shifts north and south of the
equator with the seasons. Fires are an important source of carbon
monoxide pollution in other regions of the Southern Hemisphere, such as
the Amazon and Southeast Asia.
In the United States, Europe, and eastern China, on the other hand, the
highest carbon monoxide concentrations occur around urban areas as a
result of vehicle and industrial emissions. Fires burning over large
areas in North America and Russia in some years can be an important
source. The MOPITT observations often show that pollution emitted on one
continent can travel across oceans to have a big impact on air quality
on other continents.
Carbon monoxide is a trace gas in the atmosphere, and it does not have a
direct effect on the global temperature, like methane and carbon dioxide
do. However, carbon monoxide plays a major role in atmospheric
chemistry, and it affects the ability of the atmosphere to cleanse
itself of many other polluting gases. In combination with other
pollutants and sunshine, it also takes part in the formation of
lower-atmospheric ("bad") ozone and urban smog.
View, download, or analyze more of these data from NASA Earth
Observations (NEO):
Carbon Monoxide <https://neo.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/view.php?datasetId=MOP_CO_M>
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/GlobalMaps/view.php?d1=MOP_CO_M

[Opinions]
*The Climate Change Hypocrisy Of Jet-Setting Academics
<https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-dolsak-prakash-carbon-tax_us_5abe746ae4b055e50acd5c80>*
By Nives Dolsak and Aseem Prakash
Recently, we witnessed a fascinating conversation among a few of our
professorial colleagues about their frequent flyer status on a prominent
airline. Two of them had achieved "Diamond" status ― the very top of the
priority boarding pecking order. They spoke the most and were the
loudest. The others, with either Platinum or Gold frequent flyer
medallions, also noted how "busy" they were with "all this travel."
The group casually mentioned the various benefits ― such as seating
upgrades and access to airport lounges ― that come with their statuses,
but the bragging was not really about those perks. It was about
importance and recognition. After all, only the most successful
academics fly around the world, attending conferences, participating in
workshops and giving lectures. Congratulations all around!
- - - - - -
It was about importance and recognition. After all, only the most
successful academics fly around the world, attending conferences,
participating in workshops and giving lectures. Congratulations all around!
Also recently, 13 major universities launched the University Climate
Change Coalition, or UC3, which seeks to "help local communities achieve
their climate goals and accelerate the transition to a low-carbon future
<http://secondnature.org/uc3-coalition/>." Several of these institutions
are also participating in the Climate Leadership Network, a larger group
of colleges and universities that have made a commitment to "take action
on climate and prepare students through research and education to solve
the challenges of the 21st century."
- - - - - -
Perhaps teleconferencing would become more popular. Maybe over time mega
conferences with thousands of attendees would become less attractive as
decentralized networks for knowledge exchange emerged. Instead of
attending five major conferences every year, professors might start
attending only two or three. And they might start looking for
conferences within their time zones.
Academics are capable of finding the answers to most complex problems,
including climate change. But their excellent research will be less
effective in changing public policy and popular culture without their
moral leadership. And moral authority comes when we are willing to forgo
valuable things to serve the public purpose.
If there is an overwhelming scientific consensus that climate change is
influenced by human beings, then academics should personally do
something about it. Even if it means fewer conferences and less air travel.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-dolsak-prakash-carbon-tax_us_5abe746ae4b055e50acd5c80

[NoApp4that.org essay]
*Technology and Morality in the Age of Climate Change, Overpopulation,
and Biodiversity Loss <http://noapp4that.org/>*
Richard Heinberg - August 8, 2017
Technology has grown with us, side by side, since the dawn of human
society. Each time that we've turned to technology to solve a problem or
make us more comfortable, we've been granted a solution. But it turns
out that all of the gifts technology has bestowed on us have come with
costs. And now we are facing some of our biggest challenges: climate
change, overpopulation, and biodiversity loss. Naturally, we've turned
to our longtime friend and ally-technology-to get us out of this mess.
But are we asking too much this time?
  - [Download the report <http://noapp4that.org/#> 79 pages]
http://noapp4that.org/#  Or read online http://noapp4that.org/#
But here's the thing. Technology isn't saving us from climate change,
over­popula­tion, or collapsing biodiversity.[8] While solutions have
been proposed, some of which are technically viable, our problems are
actually getting worse rather than going away, despite the existence of
these "solutions." Greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere are
rising. World population is growing more, in net numbers annually (85
million), than the entire populations of most countries. And more
species are disappearing every year.
Video Hello Humanity, it's me, Technology. We need to talk
<https://youtu.be/ALugeRQbXAM>
Technology has grown with us, side by side, since the dawn of human
society. But all the gifts it has bestowed have come with costs. And
now, are we asking too much of technology?https://youtu.be/ALugeRQbXAM
[Outline content]
*Three make-or-break problems confronting humanity*
1. Climate Change
2. Overpopulation
3. Vanishing Biodiversity
*Everybody's favorite techno-solutions*
Alternative Energy
Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS)
Electric self-driving cars and Transportation-as-a-Service (TaaS)
Solar radiation geo-engineering
Agricultural biotechnology
Genetic re-constitution of extinct species
*Our problems are growing faster than the solutions**
*

    The only reason policy makers are seriously discussing extreme
    technologies like CCS and geo-engineering… is that the project of
    shifting to alternative energy sources while maintaining economic
    growth is so daunting.

    There's a common thread here. The most promising solutions with the
    fewest likely negative side effects... require the most from us in
    terms of changes in behavior and in systems... That is, in effect,
    they imply moral intervention.

*The inequality problem**..
*...*
**Why we rely on technology so much, in imagination as in daily life...*
...*
**Denying limits leads to moral atrophy-and catastrophe
*

    Technology assumed the guise of an all-purpose genie to which we
    could appeal in order to evade uncomfortable moral and philosophical
    questions about limits, questions whose only genuine answers
    entail-as they always have-negotiation, behavior change, and
    willingness to give up some degree of power and advantage.*
    *

*What we must do
*

    A reinvigorated and refined moral message is needed to confront a
    new reality. Whereas environmentalists at first merely issued
    warnings of eventual consequences, we now see consequences at our
    doorstep...

http://noapp4that.org/#

[Hilarity - Lewis Black on Climate Change - best, succinct rant ever]
*Back in Black - Osama bin Laden's Last Wishes: The Daily Show
<Back%20in%20Black%20-%20Osama%20bin%20Laden%27s%20Last%20Wishes:%20The%20Daily%20Show>
Lewis Black rant on climate change
*https://youtu.be/tFjih_o2UT8?t=4m5s
- - - - - -
[Humor Lewis Black]
*11/15/14 Climate Change <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwSGiowEzs>*
Lewis Black
Published on Nov 20, 2014
Lew takes a couple of questions from the San Antonio audience about
climate change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwSGiowEzs

*This Day in Climate History - April 2, 2001
<http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/time/2001/04/09/climate.html>   -  from
D.R. Tucker*
April 2, 2001: CNN.com reports on the backlash to the George W. Bush
administration's decision to reject the Kyoto Protocol:

    "With the U.S. essentially sidelining itself in the global-warming
    fight, it is possible that the battle may never be effectively
    engaged. What's causing the most distress among environmentalists is
    that all this comes at a time when many other pieces of the
    global-warming solution seemed to be falling into place. In the
    U.S., state and local governments have been increasingly active in
    implementing greenhouse programs of their own, clamping down on
    emissions within their borders, stepping up mass-transit initiatives
    and enforcing conservation laws. Corporations in such sooty
    industries as oil and autos have been climbing on board too,
    imposing on themselves the very restrictions Washington won't.
    Outside the U.S., green-leaning developed nations like the E.U.
    members and emerging polluters like China and Mexico have seemed to
    be getting the message, implementing new programs and testing new
    technologies to control global warming, even without the cudgel of
    Kyoto.

    "What was needed to complete the picture was a vigorously engaged
    U.S. to control its own titanic greenhouse output and help get Kyoto
    enacted. The developments of the past few weeks cast doubt on
    whether that will happen, and for now, other nations may have to go
    it alone. 'The science is so much more solid that humans are not
    going to sit by and foul their own nests,' says Fred Krupp,
    executive director of the advocacy group Environmental Defense. 'We
    have to do something now.'"

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/time/2001/04/09/climate.html

//Archive of Daily Global Warming News
/https://pairlist10.pair.net/pipermail/theclimate.vote//
///
///To receive daily mailings - click to Subscribe
/to news digest. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that