[TheClimate.Vote] June 6, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Jun 6 12:27:36 EDT 2018

/June 6, 2018/

*Forest Service preps for another summer of devastating wildfires across
much of the country
<https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/06/05/u-s-forest-service-preps-another-summer-devastating-wildfires/673620002/>*
Michael Collins, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON - Get ready for another summer of destructive wildfires
across much of the country.
Forecasters at the National Interagency Fire Center are predicting that
warmer and drier-than-normal conditions have put large portions of the
Western United States at above-average risk for significant wildfires
between now and September.
This year's wildfire season could rival last year's, which was one of
the most devastating on record, said Vicki Christiansen, interim chief
of the U.S. Forest Service.
- - - -
"Early predictions indicate that 2018 will likely be another challenging
wildfire year," she said.
- - - -
Massive wildfires that started last week in New Mexico and Colorado are
burning through thousands of acres.
Other states that are likely to experience forest fires this year
include Arizona, California, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and
Washington.
The Forest Service and its partners have more than 10,000 firefighters,
900 engines and hundreds of aircraft available to manage the fires,
Christiansen told senators.
"At this time, we believe these to be adequate resources to address
wildfire activity, but will continue to evaluate our needs as the year
progresses," she said.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/06/05/u-s-forest-service-preps-another-summer-devastating-wildfires/673620002/

[US Map - 3 month outlook]
*Precipitation and temperature outlook for this summer
<http://wildfiretoday.com/2018/06/02/precipitation-and-temperature-outlook-for-this-summer/>*
Yesterday the National Interagency Fire Center released their
monthlywildfire potential outlook for the next four months.
<http://wildfiretoday.com/2018/06/01/wildfire-potential-june-through-september-5/>
They predicted that in July the areas with the highest potential will
move from the Southwest to Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Western Montana,
California, and northern Nevada.
These charts show the National Weather Service's outlook for
precipitation and temperature for June through August, 2018.
Three month precipitation outlook
<http://wildfiretoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Deqy_2hX0AAN_hs.jpg>
<http://wildfiretoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Deqy_2hX0AAN_hs.jpg>http://wildfiretoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Deqy_2hX0AAN_hs.jpg
http://wildfiretoday.com/2018/06/02/precipitation-and-temperature-outlook-for-this-summer/

[fuel, dry, and spark]
*The key triggers of the costly 2017 wildfire season
<https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/06/180605103439.htm>*
Series of wildfire factors that culminated in the big burns of 2017