[TheClimate.Vote] January 8, 2019 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Jan 8 11:02:22 EST 2019

/January 8, 2019/
*
*[moving forward]
*Supreme Court Refuses Exxon Appeal, Allows Mass. Climate Probe to Proceed*
By Karen Savage
The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday cleared the way for the Massachusetts'
attorney general to continue her investigation into possible climate
change-related deception by Exxon, declining to hear the company's
appeal of a ruling by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.

The oil giant has been fighting Massachusetts Attorney General Maura
Healey's probe since she launched it in March 2016, issuing Exxon a
subpoena-like request for documents that could help her determine
whether the company violated state consumer protection laws by
misleading consumers on the impacts of its products on climate change.
She is also investigating whether the corporation deceived Massachusetts
shareholders by failing to divulge potential climate change-related
risks to their investments.

Exxon responded by suing Healey in Massachusetts, claiming she lacked
jurisdiction and alleging that her investigation was politically
motivated. The suit was dismissed in January 2017 by Massachusetts
Superior Court Judge Heidi E. Brieger, who ruled that "zealously"
pursuing defendants does not make Healey's actions improper and ordered
Exxon to turn over the requested documents.

Brieger's decision was upheld by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial
Court in April 2018 and last October, Exxon asked the U.S. Supreme Court
to review the ruling.

"Today's #SCOTUS victory clears the way for our office to investigate
Exxon's conduct toward consumers and investors," Healey wrote on Twitter.

"The public deserves answers from this company about what it knew about
the impacts of burning fossil fuels, and when."

The high court's decision not to consider Exxon's appeal is the
company's latest legal setback, which faces not only the continuing
investigation in Massachusetts but also a lawsuit filed in October by
then-New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood. Letitia James, who was
sworn in as the state's new AG on January 1, has vowed to continue the
New York suit, alleging that the company has deceived investors for
years by deliberately downplaying the climate risks to its business and
long-term financial health.

Exxon is also defending itself against a series of climate
change-related lawsuits around the country filed by communities seeking
to hold various fossil fuel companies accountable for the costs of
climate damages.
As part of Healey's investigation, she has requested transcripts of
investor calls, evidence of internal discussions regarding the filing of
Securities and Exchange Commission reports, documentation and research
to back up public statements by former Exxon chief executive and
now-former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. She has also sought
evidence to substantiate or refute statements made in several Exxon
reports--including the 2014 Managing the Risks Report. In it,  Exxon
told shareholders it was "confident that none of our hydrocarbon
reserves are now or will become stranded" due to climate change, a claim
some experts have called deceptive.
Healey is asking Exxon to turn over internal scientific research,
information related to public relations and media communication plans,
as well as copies of communication with organizations supportive of or
backed by the oil industry such as ALEC, the American Petroleum
Institute, the Heartland Institute, the George C. Marshall Institute,
the Heritage Foundation and others.
https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2019/01/07/supreme-court-exxon-climate-massachusetts-healey/

[Outdated in 2009 too]
*Pelosi Says House to Revisit Climate Plan Based on 2009 Bill*
The U.S. House will take up climate legislation, including a measure
based on a bill the body approved last time Democrats were in the
majority, said Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
"We couldn't pass in the Senate our climate bill, and we'll be returning
to that," Pelosi said on Friday at a Trinity Washington University event
for MSNBC's "The Speaker" town hall broadcast.
While Pelosi didn't elaborate, the measure that fits this description is
the 2009 cap-and-trade legislation that narrowly passed by the House but
died in the Senate, and would have imposed the nation's first limits on
greenhouse-gas emissions linked to global warming.
It also would have created a market for trading pollution permits to
curb emissions, with the goal of reducing global warming greenhouse-gas
emissions 17 percent from 2005 levels by 2020. It was panned at the time
by business groups like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce as an unrealistic
approach that would harm the economy and kill jobs...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-04/pelosi-says-house-to-revisit-climate-plan-based-on-2009-bill-jqiapimq

[Climate Journalism funding]
*Hollywood Foreign Press Association Awards $1 Million Grant to
InsideClimate News*
The grant provides ICN critical support for its investigative
journalism, national reporting network and student journalism program.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/06012019/golden-globe-awards-hollywood-foreign-press-association-insideclimate-news-million-grant-climate-change

[Or maybe nationalize the oil industries]
*"Innovation": the latest GOP smokescreen on climate change policy*
It does not mean what they think it means.
By David Roberts at drvoxdavid@vox.com Jan 4, 2019
The politics of climate change are shifting against the GOP. New polling
shows that majorities of Republicans accept that climate change is a
problem and support steps to address it. It is mainly the stubborn core
of far-right conservatives, mostly older white men, that still rejects
reality altogether.

It's a crucial juncture for the party. There are two ways it could go.

The first is a good-faith search for conservative-friendly climate
solutions. A handful of Republicans are taking this route, supporting a
bill called the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act, introduced in
the House in November and (in a slightly different form) the Senate
earlier this month. It would implement a $15 carbon tax, rising at $10 a
year, with all the revenue returned as per-capita dividends, aiming to
reduce US carbon emissions 40 percent within 10 years and 90 percent by
2050. It's a credible, ambitious climate effort. It's got two Republican
co-sponsors in the House and one in the Senate.

(It is distinct from the similar though somewhat less ambitious proposal
from the Climate Leadership Council, which is backed by several retired
Republicans and the Americans for Carbon Dividends PAC.)

The problem is that most GOP funders and elected officials remain
devoted to the cause of protecting fossil fuels, and protecting fossil
fuels is, by definition, incommensurate with serious action on climate
change.

So most of the party's prominent figures have opted for the second
route: bullshitting.

In some cases, it's just an incoherent pastiche. For a particularly
pungent example, check out this op-ed from Holman Jenkins Jr., the
longtime Wall Street Journal editorialist. Jenkins is to climate change
what the WSJ's Stephen Moore is to economics: loudly, pugnaciously, and
consistently wrong...
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2019/1/4/18166400/republicans-climate-change-innovation-policy

[serious warning - a manifesto]
*Potential irreversible Planet thresholds for a disastrous Future*
Climate State - Published on Jan 7, 2019
Johan Rockström (Stockholm Resilience Centre),  talks about planetary
boundaries and tipping points, "Living in the Anthropocene", at the Club
of Rome 50th Anniversary Meeting in Rome, October 2018.
https://www.pik-potsdam.de/news/in-sh... And briefly outlines the
report, "Transformation is feasible – How to achieve the Sustainable
Development Goals within Planetary Boundaries"
https://www.stockholmresilience.org/r...
Source https://www.facebook.com/clubofrome/v... and
https://50thclubofrome.com
Johan Rockström https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Rockstr%C3%B6m
http://twi2050.org
https://youtu.be/yDny9BIE0zU
- - - -
[the Institute for Applied Systems Analysis]
The World in 2050
TWI2050 was launched by the International Institute for Applied Systems
Analysis (IIASA), the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN),
and the Stockholm Resilience Centre (SRC).
  The World in 2050 (TWI2050) is a global research initiative in support
of a successful implementation of the United Nations' 2030 Agenda. The
goal of TWI2050 is to provide the fact-based knowledge to support the
policy process and implementation of the SDGs.
- - -
The urgent question now is how to act on this aspirational agenda and to
have a clear understanding of the full consequences and cost of inaction
and the benefits of achieving SDGs in every major region of the world.
http://www.iiasa.ac.at/web/home/research/twi/TWI2050.html

[BBC checks pain down under]
*Bluebottle: Thousands of Queensland beachgoers stung*
Vast numbers of bluebottle sea creatures have been pushed ashore in
Queensland, Australia, stinging thousands of people and forcing the
closure of swim spots.
Surf Life Saving Queensland said over 2,600 people received treatment at
the weekend. Bluebottle stings are painful but typically not
life-threatening.
Unusually strong winds pushed colonies of the creatures towards beaches.
About 13,000 stings were recorded in the past week.
That's three times more than in the corresponding period last year.
Most incidents took place in Queensland's heavily populated Gold Coast
and Sunshine Coast regions.
Dr Lisa-Ann Gershwin, an expert from Australian Marine Stinger Advisory
Services, agreed it was unusual to see gatherings in such numbers.
She said "a really weird run" of strong winds and heat spells had
brought bluebottles and other species closer to shore.
But she added that given those unusual weather conditions, the number of
bluebottles should be considered "not abnormal".
The species is most commonly found in deeper seas, but can be moved
easily because it has a "sail" crest on its back.
"A bluebottle has that sail that sticks up - so the wind grabs the sail
and drives them ashore," Dr Gershwin told the BBC.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-46777854

[uplifting]
*News Feature: The solar cell of the future*
Stephen Battersby
PNAS January 2, 2019 116 (1) 7-10; https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1820406116
If the latest photovoltaic technologies can team up, they promise to
capture the sun's energy far more effectively than ever before.

In principle, the deluge of energy pouring down on us from the sun could
meet the world's power needs many times over. Already, in the United
States, the total power capacity of installed solar photovoltaic (PV)
panels is around 60 gigawatts, an amount expected to double in the next
5 years, and China increased its PV capacity by nearly 60 gigawatts in
2017 alone. Meanwhile, improvements in PV panel technology have driven
down the price of solar electricity, making it cost competitive with
other power sources in many parts of the world.

That's not a bad start. But to take full advantage of that energy deluge
and make a real impact on global carbon emissions, solar PV needs to
move into terawatt territory--and conventional panels might struggle to
get us there. Most PV panels rely on cells made from semiconducting
silicon crystals, which typically convert about 15 to 19% of the energy
in sunlight into electricity. That efficiency is the result of decades
of research and development. Further improvements are increasingly hard
to come by.

Material shortages, as well as the size and speed of the requisite
investment, could also stymie efforts to scale up production of existing
technologies. "If we are serious about the Paris climate agreement, and
we want to have 30% [of the world's electricity supplied by] solar PV in
20 years, then we would need to grow the capacity of silicon
manufacturing by a factor of 50 to build all those panels," says Albert
Polman, leader of the photonic materials group at the AMOLF research
institute in Amsterdam. "It may happen, but in parallel we should think
about ways to make solar cells that take less capital."

A slew of new technologies is aiming to tackle the terawatt challenge.
Some could be cheaply mass produced, perhaps printed, or even painted
onto surfaces. Others might be virtually invisible, integrated neatly
into walls or windows. And a combination of new materials and optical
wizardry could give us remarkably efficient sun-traps. In different
ways, all of these technologies promise to harvest much more solar
energy, giving us a better chance of transforming the world's energy
supply in the next 2 decades.
https://www.pnas.org/content/116/1/7

[no fees or favors received for posting this ]
*Think Resilience Guided Course *
We live in a time of tremendous political, environmental, and economic
upheaval. What should we do? Think Resilience is an online course to
help you get started on doing something. It features 22 video
lectures--about four hours total--by Richard Heinberg, one of the
world's foremost experts on the urgency and challenges of transitioning
society away from fossil fuels.

Think Resilience is offered by Post Carbon Institute and based on our
years of work in energy literacy and community resilience. We've packed
a lot of information into four hours, and by the end of the course
you'll have good start on two important skills:

How to make sense of the complex challenges society now faces. What are
the underlying, systemic forces at play? What brought us to this place?
Acting without this understanding is like putting a band-aid on a
life-threatening injury.
How to build community resilience. While we must also act in our
individual lives and as national and global citizens, building the
resilience of our communities is an essential response to the 21st
century's multiple sustainability crises.
You can take Think Resilience at your own pace in the Self-Directed
Course. Or, you can participate in a six-week Guided Course hosted by
Richard Heinberg in live webinar sessions.
https://education.resilience.org/course-options/

[listening to the sound of health - text and audio]
*How Do You Measure The Amount Of Carbon In A Tree?*
By PATRICK SKAHILL - DEC 11, 2018
The latest national climate assessment says forests play a key role in
keeping our air clean.

According to the report, America's forests stored the equivalent of 11
percent of the country's carbon dioxide emissions over a 25 year period.

That's because when trees breathe they suck up carbon dioxide, release
oxygen, and store that leftover carbon in their trunks.

But how scientists determine the amount of carbon stored in a tree is a
question open for debate.

When Bob Marra goes into the woods, he takes a tool with him. It's a
hammer -- his magic sonic hammer.

"It's called a sonic hammer. But I call it the 'magic' sonic hammer,
just because it looks kind of cool," Marra said.

Marra is a biologist with the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment
Station. While the hammer isn't magical, it did do something pretty
cool: help us look inside a tree.

To do that, Marra hammered nails into the trunk of a sugar maple in
northwest Connecticut, girdling the tree with sensors. Then, he circled
and tapped on each nail. Each tap was recorded by a computer.

Marra's recording sound waves. Measuring how fast sound travels from the
nail he hits, to all the other nails around the tree.

It's called "sonic tomography." Think of it like a CAT scan for trees. A
way to peer inside a trunk without drilling to see if a tree is rotting
-- or solid wood.

"The denser the wood, the faster the sound waves," Marra said.

Dense wood is really good at storing carbon. But if a tree is less dense
inside, that could indicate decay. And also, that the tree might not be
as good at storing carbon as we think.

Using a grant from the National Science Foundation, Marra tested his
tomography idea --- scanning around 70 trees in northwest Connecticut.

He found dozens were rotting inside, even ones that on the outside,
looked good.

"What's going on inside of these trees, is kind of hidden to us, for the
most part," Marra said. "Trees that, otherwise, look to be perfectly
fine and you would have no reason to think otherwise, can have internal
decay taking place."

Marra said that's an important consideration -- especially when it comes
to carbon storage or "sequestration."

"If we're going to look to forests as a way to sequester carbon, we
should develop much more accurate estimates of how much carbon is
actually sequestered."

In addition to sonic tomographs, Marra also did electrical resistance
tomography, measuring how well electricity moves through the tree.
Electricity moves well through moisture, indicating possible internal decay.

That's because there are whole markets based on this.

Take, for example, California. Its aggressive pollution regulations have
fostered an expansive cap-and-trade program. California polluters can
offset emissions by buying up carbon credits. And landowners across
America can profit by "proving" their forest is really good at storing
atmospheric carbon.

Rajinder Sahota is with the California Air Resources Board, which
oversees the program. She explained the process.

"What you do, is you have a measurement at the beginning of that time
period that says, 'here's how much is in my forest,'" Sahota said.

Then, through audits, landowners prove their land, over time, can store
carbon in a way that's better than business as usual.

"Here's how my forest looks relative to what is the common amount of
stored carbon," Sahota said. "And here's how much, if I undertake some
activities, I can increase that carbon storage in my forest."

But measuring all that? Well, here's where it gets tricky.

   "What's going on inside of these trees is, kind of, hidden to us for
the most part," Marra said. His team performed tomographs on trees in
northwest Connecticut.
"You look at any tree. Especially a hardwood tree. You look at its
shape. That's really complex," said Christopher Woodall, a researcher
with the U.S Forest Service.

Woodall's equations are used by California to calculate stored carbon.

"You estimate the volume. And then you got to figure out the biomass
within that volume," Woodall said. "And then, turn that into an estimate
of carbon."

To do that, foresters don't go out and look at every tree. Instead, they
sample. Measuring a variety of trees and plugging those numbers into a
complex model.

But forestry science is evolving. Woodall has since published work
saying the equations need to be improved. In part, because new
technologies are making biomass estimates more efficient and precise.

"I think we're not too far away from not necessarily sampling trees in
the U.S., but actually having a true census. Eventually, with a
combination of satellites … and with drones and laser scanning, we're
headed to the point where we might be able to know something about every
tree in the U.S.," Woodall said.

He said that could happen soon or in 50 years. But for now, scientists
are taking baby steps, trying to assess the role of forests in climate
change. Because, as Woodall said, it's too important to ignore.
http://www.wnpr.org/post/how-do-you-measure-amount-carbon-tree
- -
[academic paper]
*Estimating carbon loss due to internal decay in living trees using
tomography: implications for forest carbon budgets*
Abstract
The world's forests sequester and store vast amounts of atmospheric
carbon, playing a crucial role in climate change mitigation. Internal
stem decay in living trees results in the release of stored carbon back
into the atmosphere, constituting an important, but poorly understood,
countervailing force to carbon sequestration. The contribution of
internal decay to estimates of forest carbon stocks, though likely
significant, has yet to be quantified, given that an accurate method for
the non-destructive quantification of internal decay has been lacking.
To that end, we present here a novel and potentially transformative
methodology, using sonic and electrical resistance tomography, for
non-destructively quantifying the mass of stored carbon lost to internal
decay in the boles of living trees. The methodology was developed using
72 northern hardwood trees (Fagus grandifolia, Acer saccharum and Betula
alleghaniensis) from a late-successional forest in northwestern
Connecticut, USA. Using 105 stem disks corresponding to tomographic
scans and excised from 39 of the study's trees, we demonstrate the
accuracy with which tomography predicts the incidence and severity of
internal decay and distinguishes active decay from cavities...
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aae2bf

*This Day in Climate History - January 8, 2013- from D.R. Tucker*
January 8, 2013: Media Matters releases an analysis showing that
"...news coverage of climate change on ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX remained
low in 2012 despite record temperatures and a series of extreme weather
events in the U.S. When the Sunday shows did discuss climate change,
scientists were shut out of the debate while Republican politicians were
given a platform to question the science."
http://mediamatters.org/research/2013/01/08/study-warmest-year-on-record-received-cool-clim/192079