[TheClimate.Vote] October 25, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Oct 25 16:08:43 EDT 2020

/*October 25, 2020*/

[that's a millennia]
*It's been a thousand years since Colorado has burned like this*
Colorado's three largest wildfires in history have been in the past
three months. Wildfires on this scale are exceedingly rare without a
boost from climate change.
Eric Holthaus - Oct 25, 2020

We are in a climate emergency. And you were born at just the right
moment to help change everything.

Today's newsletter is a continuation of a short three-part series on the
Colorado wildfires that started with Tuesday's deeply emotional
interview with Becky Bolinger, Colorado's Assistant State Climatologist.

If you like what you're reading, please subscribe to The Phoenix to
support independent climate journalism at a critical moment in history.
*
**Colorado hasn't seen a fire season this bad in a very, very, very long
time.*
The three largest fires in Colorado history - the Cameron Peak fire, the
East Troublesome fire, and the Pine Gulch fire - have all burned this
summer.

This week, the East Troublesome fire actually crossed over the
continental divide through Forest Canyon Pass in Rocky Mountain National
Park at an elevation of 11,320 feet - something meteorologists were
speculating would be an unbelievable feat for any time of the year, let
alone late October. The fire burned an area the size of Chicago in a
day, at high elevation, at temperatures near freezing.

Decades of drought and beetle infestations worsened by rapidly warming
temperatures have led to massive stands of dead forests across western
North America - at least 100,000 square miles worth. In Colorado, more
acres have burned this year than in any other *five year period* on
record, combined. Fires are even slowly advancing through early winter
snowstorms - with heavy snows posing new challenges for firefighting crews.

None of this is normal.

Before 2002, Colorado had never recorded a fire larger than 100,000
acres. It now has three burning simultaneously. What's happening in
Colorado isn't a coincidence, it's climate change.
https://thephoenix.substack.com/p/its-been-a-thousand-years-since-colorado

- -

[simultaneous]
*As Colorado wildfires burn, fears that climate change is causing
"multi-level emergency" mount*
Heat, aridity, mega-fires and smoke are intensifying faster than projected
- -
Politicians including presidential candidate Joe Biden and Senate
hopeful John Hickenlooper now refer to "an existential threat" and call
for a shift off the fossil fuels they've supported in the past.

Yet efforts to help residents cope, and even draw down heat-trapping
carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by re-greening farmland and cities,
have barely begun. A Denver Post examination found a $4.2 billion
backlog of forestry work identified by the Colorado State Forest Service
as critical to protect people and property from fires...
- -
What's the rational response?

"Rationality means getting really serious about GHG (greenhouse gas)
reductions. It also means planning for the worst with respect to water
supplies and fires. We're doing none of these things, although the water
community at least realizes the threat and is making some efforts to
think about it," Udall said.

"Climate change is the ultimate 'kick-the-can-down-the-road' game. To
fix it you have to have pain now, and reap the benefits later. That's
never a good setup for political action."...
- -
"The safety of our communities is at risk. Our water supply is at risk.
And we provide water that leaves our high country and flows to 18
different states and Mexico. All of Colorado is in drought now and
you're not going to hang onto soil if you've burned all the vegetation
off of it," he said. "It doesn't do any good to say you're going to do
something. At some point, you have to actually do it."...
more at -
https://www.denverpost.com/2020/10/25/colorado-wildfires-climate-change/

[deep science video with transcript -- from physicist Sabine Hossenfelder]
*How can climate be predictable if weather is chaotic?*
Oct 24, 2020
Sabine Hossenfelder
transcript concludes:

    Even though the system is chaotic, one clearly sees that the
    response of the system does
    have a predictable dependence on the input parameter.
    To see this better, I have calculated the average of these curves as
    a function of the
    "radiative forcing", for a sample of initial values.
    And this is what you get:
    You clearly see that the average value is strongly correlated with
    the radiative forcing.
    Again, the scatter you see here is because I am averaging over a
    rather arbitrarily chosen
    finite period.
    What this means is that in a chaotic system, the trends of average
    values can be predictable,
    even though you cannot predict the exact state of the system beyond
    a short period of time.
    And this is exactly what is happening in climate models.
    Scientists cannot predict whether it will rain on June 15th, 2079,
    but they can very
    well predict the average rainfall in 2079 as a function of
    increasing carbon dioxide
    levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5fwYtU7Rhg

[not a surprise, but still disturbing]
*Exxon Spends Millions on Facebook To Keep the Fossil Fuel Industry Alive*
Aided by a right-wing political consulting firm, the company is rallying
supporters to fight for oil and gas interests at every level of government.
CHRISTINE MACDONALD OCTOBER 20, 2020
An In These Times inves­ti­ga­tion, sup­port­ed by a year-long
fel­low­ship from the Leonard C. Good­man Insti­tute for Inves­tiga­tive
Report­ing, exam­ined 11,622 Exxon social media ads con­tain­ing around
350 dis­tinct mes­sages that ran in the two-year peri­od from June 1,
2018, to May 31, 2020, and appeared on U.S. Face­book and Insta­gram
users' screens as many as 265 mil­lion times. Face­book (which owns
Insta­gram) has allowed access to the ads it serves through its Ad
Library since May 2018, cre­at­ed by Face­book after a num­ber of
trans­paren­cy scan­dals.
- -
Exxon has spent more than any oth­er major cor­po­ra­tion on ​"social
issues, elec­tions, or pol­i­tics" Face­book ads (out­side of Face­book
itself), and is the coun­try's ninth-largest buy­er of such ads
over­all: $15.6 mil­lion from May 7, 2018, to Octo­ber 8, 2020. Almost
every oth­er top spender is an orga­ni­za­tion relat­ed to
pres­i­den­tial cam­paign­ing. The top 100 pages are pri­mar­i­ly
politi­cians, non­prof­its and oth­er mis­sion-dri­ven orga­ni­za­tions:
The only major cor­po­ra­tion out­side of Exxon, Face­book and
Insta­gram is Gold­man Sachs, which spent less than a quar­ter of
Exxon's total...
- -
Exxon's use of social media to lobby the public goes way beyond the rest
of the industry.
- -
As GOP dig­i­tal strate­gist Mindy Finn explained to Politi­co:
"[Dig­i­tal orga­niz­ing is] not just raw num­bers. It's ana­lyz­ing and
deter­min­ing who those peo­ple [who are engag­ing] are and match­ing
them back to vot­er pro­files. … It's not hav­ing the most Face­book
likes and clicks, because the ​'who' matters."

While only age, sex and state infor­ma­tion for each ad is pro­vid­ed by
the Face­book Ad Library, Face­book allows ad buy­ers to tar­get ads
based on actu­al online behav­ior, in addi­tion to self-report­ed
char­ac­ter­is­tics like work and edu­ca­tion. It can tar­get using
online shop­ping and brows­ing his­to­ry, for exam­ple, and whether a
per­son is like­ly to engage with con­ser­v­a­tive or lib­er­al
polit­i­cal content.
- -
Stephanie Prufer, an oceans cam­paign­er at the Cen­ter for
Bio­log­i­cal Diver­si­ty, says she does­n't think Exxon's strat­e­gy
will work for the com­pa­ny, espe­cial­ly among youth.

"I'm not sur­prised that Exxon is tar­get­ing the demo­graph­ic that
they are," she says, refer­ring to the fact that Exxon ads
dis­pro­por­tion­ate­ly appear on the screens of old­er social media
users. ​"They know they are not going to be able to get the sup­port of
peo­ple who are afraid for their own futures. I'm 24 and I wor­ry every
sin­gle day about what will become of my future if the oil com­pa­nies
keep drilling."

"The sci­ence is so clear," she adds. ​"We need to keep oil in the
ground. We need to end drilling on our coast, not revive it."

David DeMaris served as a tech­nol­o­gy con­sul­tant on this sto­ry.
Juan Caice­do con­tributed fact-checking.
https://inthesetimes.com/article/exxon-facebook-instagram-advertising-fracking-climate-fossil-fuels

[Labor understands global warming]
*Why labor unions support Mike Siegel*
Premiered Oct 13, 2020
Sunrise Movement
What use is a good job if you don't have a home to come home to? What
use is a country if you can't work to better the lives of yourself and
your neighbors?
Unions have a saying, if you're not at the table you're on the menu.
That's why an unprecedented coalition of unions are backing Green New
Deal champion, Mike Siegel because any deal he'll make in congress,
starts with workers. Mike Siegel is a democrat running for congress in
Texas's 10th district, to unseat the incumbent republican, Michael
Mccaul. Mike also supports Housing and Healthcare for All, Police
Reform, and Gun reform. You can learn more about his platform at
siegelfortexas.org.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOgRw4cRm5k&feature=youtu.be

[Climate and Capitalism]
*Triple Crisis in the Anthropocene Ocean.*
Part Three: The Heat of 3.6 Billion Atom Bombs
by Ian Angus - October 24, 2020
- -
Scientists measure the ocean's heat content in joules -- the amount of
energy required to produce one watt of power for one second. In a
commentary on the latest data, Lijing Cheng of China's Institute of
Atmospheric Physics calculates that the increase in ocean heat content
over the past 25 years required the addition of 228 sextillion joules of
heat -- that's 228 followed by 21 zeroes.

"That's a lot of zeros indeed. To make it easier to understand, I did a
calculation. The Hiroshima atom-bomb exploded with an energy of about
63,000,000,000,000 Joules. The amount of heat we have put in the world's
oceans in the past 25 years equals to 3.6 billion Hiroshima atom-bomb
explosions."

That's about five Hiroshima bombs a second -- and the rate is accelerating.
Since 1987 the ocean has warmed 4.5 times as fast as in the previous
three decades.[iii] The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
projects that even if emissions are substantially reduced, by 2100 the
ocean will heat 2 to 4 times as much as it has since 1970 -- and if
emissions are not cut, it will heat 5 to 7 times as much...
- -
The sudden growth of scientific interest in marine heatwaves is no
accident. It reflects a real shift in the ocean's climate in the past
two decades: a radical increase in the frequency, intensity and duration
of periods of when water temperatures are much higher than normal. Such
extreme events can have devastating impacts on ocean ecosystems:
organisms that have evolved to live within a limited temperature range
must adapt, flee or die when that range is exceeded...
- -
All by itself, ocean warming is a major threat to the stability of the
world's largest ecosystem -- but ocean warming does not occur "all by
itself." The deadly trio of ocean warming, loss of oxygen and
acidification are all consequences of disrupting the global carbon
cycle. Burning massive amounts of long-buried carbon has changed the
ocean's chemistry, heated the water and driven out oxygen. Those
processes take place simultaneously and reinforce each other, making the
ocean increasingly inhospitable, even deadly, for living things from
microbes to whales.

Worse, the deadly trio isn't acting alone. Overfishing has wiped out
many species, and it's predicted that most wild fish populations will be
90% depleted by 2050. Pollutants, including tons of plastics that
essentially last forever, are poisoning marine life from coastlines to
the deepest trenches. Nitrogen fertilizer run-off has created a thousand
or more dead zones in coastal waters and estuaries. Off-shore oil wells
are leaking deadly hydrocarbons, and mining companies are preparing to
dredge rare minerals from the deep sea floor, destroying some of the few
remaining undamaged parts of Earth's surface.

As environmental geologists Jan Zalasiewicz and Mark Williams write, "a
wholesale refashioning of the marine ecosystem" is now underway. If
business as usual continues, "pervasive changes in the physical,
chemical and biological boundary conditions of the sea … [will]
transform, irreversibly, and for the worse, the Earth and its oceans."

The effect of that transformation was summed up by Agence France-Presse,
in its account of the IPCC's 2019 report on the oceans: "The same oceans
that nourished human evolution are poised to unleash misery on a global
scale unless the carbon pollution destabilizing Earth's marine
environment is brought to heel."

This article continues my series on metabolic rifts. As always, I
welcome your comments, corrections and constructive criticism.--IA
https://climateandcapitalism.com/2020/10/24/triple-crisis-in-the-anthropocene-ocean-part-three-the-heat-of-3-6-billion-atom-bombs/

*On this day in the history of global warming - October 25, 2013 *

On MSNBC's "The Cycle," writer David Gessner discusses the grotesque
legacy of Superstorm Sandy.

http://www.msnbc.com/the-cycle/watch/hurricane-sandy-one-year-later-56848963789#

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.