[TheClimate.Vote] September 28, 2020 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Sep 28 10:48:25 EDT 2020

/*September 28, 2020*/

[United Nations hears]
*Leaders to UN: If virus doesn't kill us, climate change will *
https://apnews.com/article/climate-climate-change-oceans-environment-united-nations-general-assembly-d073896990db973a3e45db26787d6a18

[CBS 60 minutes]
*Sir David Attenborough to 60 Minutes on climate change: "A crime has
been committed"*
Eighteen years after declining to take a hard stance in his first
profile on 60 Minutes, Sir David Attenborough warns about the dangers of
climate change...
- -
Despite his stark warning about the planet's peril, Attenborough told
Cooper it is not too late to salvage it, if countries work together and
societies alter their behavior. The nonagenarian remains hopeful for the
future.

"There's a huge movement around the world of people from all nations,
young people who can see what is happening to the world, and demanding
that their government should take action," Attenborough said. "And
that's the best hope that I have."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sir-david-attenborough-60-minutes-2020-09-27/

[In August, Bill Gates got global warming]
*Climate Change Is a Bigger Disaster Than Coronavirus: Bill Gates*
Aug 6, 2020
Bloomberg Markets and Finance
Aug.06 -- Microsoft Corp. co-founder Bill Gates says climate change is
bigger disaster for the world than coronavirus. Gates speaks exclusively
to Bloomberg's Emily Chang.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4kZG2SAr14

[very positive science lesson]
*Why don't we all just use Geothermal Energy?*
Sep 27, 2020
Just Have a Think
Science tells us there's enough energy in the first 10 kilometres below
our planet's surface to provide all our energy needs for millions of
years. The Romans tapped into it for their hot water spas. Today, we all
know it as Geothermal Energy. There's no carbon dioxide emissions and no
air pollution with geothermal, and it's literally right there beneath
our feet. So why isn't our entire planet powered by it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ss_wHCS1Aw

[Propaganda battlefield history- myth origins exposed]
*The video origin of the myth that global warming is good for agriculture*
Two '90s-era coal-funded videos on CO2 featured government scientists
who say their comments were misleadingly edited. How it all happened.
By Karin Kirk | Sunday, September 27, 2020
Misinformation is at the root of many scientific controversies, and
fighting it can feel like a losing battle. But one effective method is
to expose the mechanics of misinformation, to show tactics and deceptive
processes in broad daylight.

And learning from the past can be key to combating persistent
misinformation campaigns currently and, no doubt, again in the future.
"Those who ignore history," writer and philosopher George Santayana
taught us, "are bound to repeat it."

A pair of widely circulated climate misinformation videos from the 90s -
"The Greening of Planet Earth," and "The Greening of Planet Earth
Continues" - were funded by the benignly named Greening Earth Society,
whose membership consisted of coal interests. Featured in the video were
U.S. government civil service scientists who had no idea they would land
in the midst of a pro-pollution/pro-CO2 narrative. Special interests
supporting use of fossil fuels used the inclusion of the scientists,
which seemed to give the video credibility, to cast doubt on the idea
that climate change would harm people and ecosystems.
*
**An early example of a longstanding tactic to mislead*
The two videos in question were released in 1992 and 1998. But more than
20 years later, their legacy lingers.

The videos were widely distributed to classrooms and found their way
into bibliographies and lecture halls. The 1998 edition was distributed
widely on Capitol Hill. Both tout the once-common claim, long since
debunked, that adding more carbon dioxide to the atmosphere would lead
to larger plants and a better and greener world. It was a misleading
assertion: The videos did not address the fact that rising carbon
dioxide levels would also boost weeds and poison ivy. Nor did they
grapple with the impact on crops of climate-change-induced heat stress,
drought, wildfires, or the expansion in range of insect pests and
livestock diseases. Today, reputable scientists expect that higher
temperatures will lead to reduced yields of major commodity crops.

Yet the tired myth promoted in the videos persists.

At America Out Loud, a fringe talk radio platform and website, a June
2020 article describes carbon dioxide as "plant food, the very opposite
of 'pollution.'" The article also repeats the misleading claim from the
"Greening" videos that "More CO2 means free, rich fertilizer and thus
increased yields of food crops."

To Harvard University science historian and author Naomi Oreskes, the
two videos, funded by the now-defunct Western Fuels Association, were
instrumental in helping create the myth that higher levels of carbon
dioxide in the atmosphere are overwhelmingly positive for plants, crops,
food supply, and humans generally. She points to witnesses testifying on
Capitol Hill in the past few years repeating that key point emphasized
in the videos. That pro-carbon dioxide point "is still a live meme,"
Oreskes said in a recent phone interview. "It is still alive and well
and living on K Street," she said, referring to Washington, D.C's
"lobbyist's row."

Science historian and author Spencer Weart pointed to William Faulkner's
quote that "The past is never past, it's not even past," and said
"zombie ideas" like those expressed in the two 90s-decade videos
initially "sound plausible" to some, take on a life of their own, and
are still being circulated.

*Years of research discarded during editing*
Several government scientists who appeared in "The Greening of Planet
Earth" now say they were basically duped. They say they were not told
the purpose of the video at the time of the recording, and at least in
one case a scientist felt pressure to comply.

The three former U.S. Department of Agriculture research scientists
individually discussed their roles via Zoom calls reflecting on their
research on CO2 and agriculture, and on the events that led them to be
caught off-guard about how their research was presented.

The scientists say they did not then or currently think that food
production would increase in a CO2-enriched atmosphere, and their
research then and since shows the opposite. The filmmakers simply edited
out the scientific context, stripping away anything counter to their
intended message that CO2 is beneficial for humanity and for food
production. Their research efforts - experimental design, diligent data
collection, and important results - were discarded on the editing room
floor.

*Lewis Ziska, Ph.D.: 'I did not know who they were'*
"Basically I was in the dark," said Lewis Ziska, a plant physiologist
who worked at USDA at the time. In the video, Ziska explains how more
CO2 in the atmosphere could increase the yield of rice. But he didn't
know the purpose of the production, nor did he know it was funded by the
coal industry. "I did not know who they were," Ziska recently said of
the filmmakers. "I was only doing it because my boss said, 'Oh, there's
a film crew here.'"

Although it's true that CO2 enhances plant growth, that's only one of
many factors that influence plant health and crop yield. Ziska attempted
to round out his explanation of enriched CO2 on agriculture: "I turned
to the producer and I said, 'Would you like to know how carbon dioxide
affects weeds?' And he said no."

Then, Ziksa was told to sign a waiver of some sort. "I signed the
release form while the [USDA] national program leader was standing with
the producer, and I knew that if I didn't do this, he would be upset."

Several months later, the completed video arrived in Ziska's mail. He
learned only then that the video had been produced by the Greening Earth
Society, an organization created by a coal industry trade group, the
Western Fuels Association. The VHS cassette and accompanying literature
had been sent to every Capitol Hill legislative office in Washington
D.C., according to Climate Files.

Ziska watched the video and thought, "OK, what do I do now?" He
considered his options: "I'm a young scientist at USDA and do I want to
make waves? Do I want to complain?" He opted not to raise the issue.
"Okay, well, learn your lesson and move on," he recalled, holding up his
arms as if signaling defeat.
*
**James Bunce, Ph.D.: 'I disagree with most of it'*
James Bunce is another USDA researcher appearing in the video campaign.
In his segments, he explained that increasing CO2 could help plants grow
in drier environments. Like Ziska, Bunce says he did not know the
genesis or focus of the video project. But unlike Ziska, Bunce had only
recently seen the final product. "I certainly do not endorse the
conclusions they drew from those facts!" he wrote in an email.

"I have only the vaguest recollection of having been taped for it," he
said, explaining that media interviews at that time were not uncommon
for government research scientists. "We're instructed to be open to
public questions."

What does he think of the video now that he's seen it? "Well, I disagree
with most of it," he said.
*
**Bruce Kimball, Ph.D.: Edited to 'suit their sound bite'*
Bruce Kimball is a soil scientist who appeared in the 1992 video, with
the same theme and format as the 1998 version. He still recalls the
interview: "They had about 20 or 30 questions, and every one of them
could be answered with, 'CO2 is good for plants.'"

When the video was filmed, Kimball was under the impression that the
interview would be about the research he was doing, but the topic never
came up. "When they came to the end of their questions, I said to them,
'Aren't you going to ask me about the experiment?'" The camera crew
obliged, and Kimball went on to describe his work with CO2 enrichment on
crops. But all of his explanations were left out of the final product.

When Kimball saw the video, he realized the only clips included were the
ones "that best suited their sound bite."

*Anatomy of misinformation*
The Greening Earth Society endeavored in both videos to make only one
point: CO2 is good for plants and thus global warming will be "modest
and benign." Editing stripped away the real scientific context, leading
to a deceptive message at wide variance from the evidence accepted
within the science community.

"A lot of the scientists they interviewed, on very specific questions,
gave correct answers," Bunce said. But the framing around the
scientists' quotes led to a mistaken impression far from what their
research showed. "It's the interpretation that I'm sure a lot of the
scientists would not agree with," said Bunce.

Case in point, Ziska, Bunce, and Kimball all said they stand by their
original remarks, but each disagrees with the larger point.

"You're only seeing a very small slice of the science," Ziska remarked
while holding up his thumb and forefinger, allowing a sliver of light to
pass through. "And it's the rest of it that needs to be explored."

*Concern that USDA scientist 'went off course'*
Among the staff of USDA researchers at the time was a physicist named
Sherwood Idso. Bunce, Idso, Kimball, and Ziska were part of the USDA's
Agricultural Research Service, or ARS, where they did experiments on how
crops responded to carbon dioxide, water, and various nutrients.

Idso carried out taxpayer-funded research on CO2 and plants, and he
eventually leveraged part of that background to the benefit of fossil
fuel interests. Idso's own Institute for Biospheric Research produced
the first Greening Earth video in 1992, nine years before he officially
retired from the Agriculture Department and from civil service. Six
years later, he participated in the second video with the same basic
script, and again funded by the Western Fuels Association.

Reflecting on Idso's role at ARS, Bunce said, "He made a name doing some
reasonably good things. And then he went off course."

Bunce said that Idso "went into this side business, which I don't think
anybody in ARS agreed with. The basis of what he was saying with the
Green Earth stuff - I don't think anybody agreed with him on that."

Nevertheless, Idso remained an active part of the ARS while
simultaneously working to undermine climate science on his own. Bunce
recalls that his peers "knew [Idso] was way off base, and were amazed
that he was allowed to do that as an ARS scientist."

Kimball had dual roles with Idso, working both as a collaborator and
also as Idso's supervisor. "I tried to supervise him for a while,"
Kimball said, recalling their complex working relationship. "I've argued
with Sherwood Idso a lot," he said. "I kept telling him, 'Stick to the
data, stick to the data.'"

Kimball and Idso worked together on a 17-year long experiment growing
orange trees in elevated CO2 conditions. The project's final publication
makes no mention of the trees benefiting from climate change, even
though the trees grew quickly with a boost in CO2. Instead, the results
are expected to be useful to quantify carbon sequestration in forests,
and to manage forests and agricultural production in our high-CO2 future.

"I felt I was caught in the middle in a lot of ways," said Kimball
recently, with a sense of bittersweet empathy for his former colleague.
"In many ways he was a really excellent scientist. But he would
extrapolate beyond the data."

*Retirement from USDA to 'unfettered' rejection of climate science*
After 34 years at the Agricultural Research Service, Idso retired from
government service in 2001.The Agricultural Research Service's Water
Conservation Laboratory's annual research report that year was dedicated
to him, calling him one of the laboratory's "most productive scientists"
and saying he was widely cited in the scientific literature.

The dedication noted that Idso had authored over 480 official
publications for USDA "and 88 more on his own time, including a pair of
influential books on carbon dioxide and global change."

Those "influential" books seeking to cast climate change as a "fortunate
and desirable phenomenon" -- self-published by the Institute for
Biospheric Research, Idso's own organization -- were widely discredited
by climate scientists.

The closing statement of Idso's retirement dedication hinted at what was
to come as Idso narrowed his focus to full-time work on what he saw as
the benefits of CO2 and of climate change: "We wish him well in his new
endeavor - unfettered by reviews, approvals, and Form 115s!" (A form 115
is part of the USDA's internal approval process for publishing research
results.)

Idso and his two sons, Craig and Keith, went on to launch and run the
Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change. Craig Idso has
worked with the Cato Institute, and the Heartland Institute, and he was
a former director of environmental sciences for Peabody Energy, the
world's largest privately owned coal company. Keith in the early 2000s
served as an officer of the Idso-led center and wrote and testified in a
few instances sharing views in support of higher CO2 concentrations.

A primary goal of their efforts was and remains the dismantling of EPA's
2009 Endangerment Finding, which requires greenhouse gases to be
regulated. The center's webpage asserts that EPA's landmark ruling
failed to account for the "very significant" benefits of CO2 emissions.
They continue to swim upstream on climate science. "To attack CO2 is to
attack human prosperity," reads the banner text on a 2019 YouTube video
narrated by Craig Idso.

According to the organization's website, it still has financial ties to
the fossil fuel industry. Its webpage describing its funding sources
claims independence, but acknowledges that "ExxonMobil made some
donations to us a few times in the past; they probably liked what we
typically had to say about the issue."

*Craig Idso defends his father's legacy*
Asked to comment for this article, Craig Idso replied on his father's
behalf, saying the elder Idso's health prevents him from communicating
directly. Criag Idso wrote in an email that his father's involvement was
"being filmed for the project and recommending other scientists who
might be willing to share their research." He said the elder Idso was
not "involved in deceptively editing content." He said also that USDA
"played no role whatsoever in the production of either video," although
USDA scientists were featured in both.

Turning to the science, Criag Idso said "the accuracy of the message" in
both videos "has withstood the test of time. Enriching the atmosphere
with carbon dioxide has indeed benefited Earth's biosphere." He said
"many updated peer-reviewed science papers" support that conclusion and
"confirm the thesis put forth in the two Greening of Planet Earth videos
from the 1990's that rising CO2 will enhance the productivity of the
planet's vegetation. Quite frankly the data confirm it has," he wrote.

*Agriculture experiments portend a decline in crop yields*
It's widely accepted that plants grow faster with additional CO2 in the
atmosphere, whether in a greenhouse or in an open field. But the error
propagated by the Greening Earth Society and its videos was to exclude
susceptible plants and crops and other variables from the equation.

"The goal from the other side was to show how wonderful CO2 is because
it makes plants grow more. Without recognizing that, okay, so it's only
going to affect strawberries but it's not going to have any effect on
poison ivy? It's not going to affect invasive weeds? It's not going to
affect the quality of the food that we have? It's not going to affect
how we use pesticides or herbicides?" He continued: "It's not going to
affect the pollen that we come into contact with? It's not going to
affect plants' toxicology, it's not going to affect the ability of
plants to produce volatile organic carbons which contribute to smog,
it's not going to affect biodiversity, it's not going to affect the
entire food chain?"

Ziska paused briefly to take a breath. His voice had an edge to it.
"Well of course it's going to do all those things."

Bunce was also eager to fill in the science he feels had been left out
of the video. "When you add warming to increasing CO2, the net [result]
in many, many important crops is negative." Controlling the experiment
for warmer conditions - not just elevated CO2 - reduced crop output
"almost all the time." The notion that CO2 would somehow protect plants
from damage from high temperatures "has been thrown on its head by
experiments," he said.

Kimball's research showed the same results. In one instance, the
combination of elevated CO2 and warmer temperatures benefited yields of
grasses in Wyoming's cool climate. But in most other cases, when crops
were exposed to elevated CO2 and warmer temperatures, crop yields went
down. This was true for soybeans and corn in the Midwest and for wheat
and rice in China, where "CO2 caused small increases in yield, but
warming caused severe decreases in rice yield."

Changes in precipitation patterns add yet another wrinkle to the
complexities of agriculture in a warming planet, as floods and droughts
disrupt crop yields. "A place like Arizona that's already dry is
probably going to even get drier," Kimball noted, "which is pretty damn
scary."

*Ziska in 2018: 'Okay, I've had enough'*
Ziska's research has come a long way since his days as a junior
scientist making an unintended cameo in a P.R. piece. But the USDA has
changed too, particularly in recent years. In 2018, Ziska was one of the
authors of a landmark study that showed that rising CO2 diminishes the
nutritional value of rice. The research team found that elevated CO2
concentrations create an imbalance within the plant's chemical makeup as
CO2 becomes disproportionately large compared to other elements of plant
growth. "The entire elemental balance is out of whack," Ziska said.

That 2018 study concluded that rice grown in high-CO2 conditions had
lower quantities of protein, iron, zinc, and B-vitamins. Because rice is
the world's single most important food crop, the effects of reduced
nutritional value are profound, particularly for lower-income parts of Asia.

After the paper was published in Science Advances, USDA stepped in to
downplay the work. First, the agency claimed the findings were
incorrect, even though the research had already been through rigorous
peer review and internal review within the ARS. Next, USDA declined to
issue a press release about the paper, and, according to a story in
Politico. pressured institutions of collaborating authors to pull the
plug on press releases that had already been written.

Despite USDA's efforts to bury the publication, the far-reaching results
were newsworthy, and Ziska was approached for media interviews. Ziska's
bosses denied him permission to do the interviews.

"At that point, that's when I said 'Okay I've had enough.' Ziska said.
He left the USDA both out of frustration and as a symbol of protest.
Ziska now continues his work as an associate professor of environmental
health sciences at Columbia University.

Ziska presses on, convinced that his work carries real importance for
public health. As science of all types is enduring pointed partisan
attacks undermining the seriousness of issues from COVID-19 to climate
change, he says he some days is tempted to crawl under his desk.

But Ziska feels society may be reaching a crossroads. He says he hopes
strengthening public acceptance on the importance of sound science and
public health will spur a change, "politically, culturally, and socially
-- to make things better."
https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2020/09/video-origin-of-the-myth-that-global-warming-good-for-agriculture/

[opinion]*
**Doing Something About Global Warming Is Cheaper Than Doing Nothing*
September 25th, 2020 by Steve Hanley
The rallying cry from conservatives for the past 40 years is that doing
something about our overheating planet is just too darn expensive.
Better to do nothing and continue marching into the future using a
business as usual approach than actually address the climate emergency.
That's the horse puckey spewed billions of times by rapacious fools who
are in thrall to Charles Koch. Any lie repeated often enough becomes the
truth, which basically explains the business model of Fox News.

Koch and his acolytes have built what amounts to a religion based upon
the idea that humans have an obligation to extract and combust every
available drop of fossil fuel. That quaint notion has taken its place
alongside other current quasi-religious movements that preach how
Democrats want to confiscate our guns, black males are all homicidal
maniacs who must be incarcerated or killed to preserve law and order,
and a woman's reproductive system is the property of the state.

But as Mark Twain once observed, "What you don't know won't hurt you
near as much as what you do know that t'aint true." A recent article by
the Washington Post suggests we can do something about our changing
climate and it will cost a lot less than the measures already taken to
address the scourge of the coronavirus...
- -
Researchers at Stanford University, Resources for the Future, and
ReconMR have just released the results of a survey conducted between May
and August asking Americans about their attitudes regarding climate
change. The poll included 999 people. It found nearly half of Americans
think addressing climate change will help the economy while only 29%
believe it will have negative economic consequences. Speaking to Time
magazine about the Republican mantra that addressing climate change is
too expensive, Jon Krosnick, a Stanford social psychologist professor
and lead author of the report says, "It's just an argument that doesn't
work. The argument has never convinced even a majority of Republicans."

The report finds significant majorities support tax incentives, carbon
pricing, and regulations as means to reduce emissions. More than 80% of
Americans believe the U.S. should offer tax incentives for utilities
that make power with renewable energy. More than 80% support key U.S.
commitments under the Paris Agreement. And nearly two thirds support a
requirement for all cars to get at least 55 miles per gallon by 2025.
"It's not like 52-48 or that kind of thing," says Krosnick. "There are
clear leanings."

Time says the report finds concern about climate change is driven less
by personal economic considerations and more by broader societal
interests. Concern that climate change will significantly harm future
generations is a better predictor of support for action on climate
change than concerns it would harm someone personally. "It's not about
the pocketbook," says Krosnick.

A previous report from Stanford and RFF found the percentage of
Americans who care passionately about climate change has risen
dramatically in recent years from 13% in 2015 to 25% in 2020. It finds
three quarters of Americans believe they have seen the effects of
climate change and 80% say they support more stringent building codes to
adapt to the effects of climate change. Oddly enough, despite the
findings of such reports, not one question about climate change will be
asked during the upcoming presidential debates that begin in a few days.

An NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll released Sept. 19 shows climate change
is one of the top concerns for Democratic voters along with the
coronavirus pandemic and the economy. A June poll from Pew Research
Center found that nearly two thirds of Americans want more aggressive
action from the federal government on climate change...
- -
The Washington Post ends with this analysis: "If we can spend trillions
to fight the coronavirus, we can do this. Building the needed capacity
over a 30-year period would require some investment, ranging from $50
billion per year for manufacturing limestone to $250 billion per year
for MPAs. But that money would produce a 15 percent return, and even the
high end is a small price to pay for a fully restored climate in this
century.

"The main hurdle isn't financing or technology; we have enough of both.
It's expanding our thinking beyond half-measures and committing to
outcomes we want. We know that restoring public health in the pandemic
requires bold action and international cooperation. Restoring a healthy
climate and a livable planet requires no less. But it's within our grasp
if we're willing to reach for it." The question is, are we willing to do
what needs to be done to keep our planet habitable for humans? Nothing
else really matters if the answer to that question is no. And that
starts with voting in the next election. Vote as if your life and the
lives of your children and your children's children depends upon it,
because it does.
https://cleantechnica.com/2020/09/25/doing-something-about-global-warming-is-cheaper-than-doing-nothing/

*On this day in the history of global warming - September 28, 2007 *

President George W. Bush speaks at a "conference" on climate change in
Washington. The speech and the "conference" are widely viewed as
political efforts to obscure the Bush administration's overall lack of
interest in taking serious steps to reduce carbon pollution.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/28/world/americas/28iht-28climatesub.7674315.html

  http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2007/09/28/201917/bush-climate-speech-follows-luntz-playbook-technology-technology-technology-blah-blah-blah/

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.