[TheClimate.Vote] April 7, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Apr 7 07:19:47 EDT 2021

/*April 7, 2021*/

[Treasury secretary]
*Yellen: 'We lost four important years' in fight against climate change*
- -
Yellen made the remarks in an address during her first meeting with the
Coalition of Finance Ministers for Climate Action. She reportedly said
the U.S. is committed to reaching the reduced emissions goal of 2030 set
by the Obama-era Paris climate agreement.

“Climate, by its very nature, requires strong global cooperation,”
Yellen said. “We lost four important years, and we recognize that many
of you around the room have been leading change in your own countries.”...
- -
Yellen has previously said Treasury's approach to climate change will
“change dramatically” under her leadership. During a meeting of Group of
Seven (G7) finance ministers and central bankers, Yellen stated that the
U.S. was prepared to take the lead in the global fight against climate
change following four years of environmental rollbacks during the Trump
administration.

“She expressed strong support for G7 efforts to tackle climate change,
highlighting that her colleagues should expect the Treasury Department’s
engagement on this issue to change dramatically relative to the last
four years,” the Treasury Department said in a statement at the time...
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/546758-yellen-we-lost-four-important-years-in-fight-against-climate-change

[From DW]
*Climate scientists, what keeps you up at night?*
Sam Baker - April.6.2021
 From atmospheric physicists to urban climatologists, DW spoke to
researchers who study the many and varied aspects of climate change
about what concerns them most as our planet heats up.
What really makes this reporter's stomach churn thinking about climate
change? Thawing permafrost. A scenario where it all melts, releasing
copious amounts of CO2 and methane (it holds twice as much carbon as the
atmosphere holds right now), and there's no going back.

But what's at the top of the list of concerns for those who study how
climate change is unfolding – on ice sheets and urban street corners, in
oceans and farm fields – the climate scientists themselves?

DW asked a dozen experts spanning climatology, entomology, oceanography
and yes, permafrost research, what keeps them up at night when it comes
to the climate.

*The greatest unknown – people*
Nana Ama Browne Klutse studies changing weather with climate models at
the University of Ghana. While she says tipping points like permafrost
thaw worry her, she also worries how individuals will handle changing
climates.

"What can you do as an individual to avoid the impact of climate
change?" she asked. "We need government policies for resilience,
building of community, city resilience. Then we need that global action."
Climate scientist Ruth Mottram studies the Greenland and Antarctic ice
sheets and sea level rise for the Danish Meteorological Institute, but
it's not the science that worries her.

"I'm less concerned that there are unknown processes going on that we
don't understand, and there could potentially be some unforeseen
catastrophe on the way," she said. "We know what a lot of the impacts
are going to be. I think what keeps me awake at night in a metaphorical
sense is really the interaction between the physical system and how
human societies are going to handle it."

Giving the example of sea level, she says we will see a meter rise this
century — in our lifetimes or that of our children — and will have to
make tough decisions about our coastal cities. But she says it won't end
there.

"I think that human societies have not really grasped what that means
and that adaptation to sea level rise is going to be a long process and
we are going to be doing it for hundreds of years," said Mottram,
suggesting that we start thinking in terms of the lifetimes of cities
(hundreds of years) rather than just human lifetimes.
*
**Protecting the vulnerable*
Vladimir Romanovsky, a professor of geophysics at the University of
Alaska Fairbanks' Permafrost Laboratory, said that while he thinks about
how what happens in the Arctic will affect the rest of the world, his
concerns are much more local.

"We should remember that there are still some people living in the
Arctic," he said. Around4 million people in fact who would have to deal
with the real-life consequences of solid ground thawing beneath their
feet and houses. "Changes in these local or regional kind of climates
and environments, they impact these people and some of these impacts
could be very severe."
Closer to the planet's other pole, Carolina Vera fears that existing
inequalities will only be exacerbated by climate change.

"Climate change is already impacting the most vulnerable sectors of our
planet," said Vera, who studies climate variability as a principal
researcher for the National Council of Science of Argentina, a professor
at the University of Buenos Aires and chief of staff for Argentina's
Ministry of Science and Technology. Her work has led her to incorporate
local knowledge and data collection into studies, involving communities
that are balancing the problems of deforestation with their need to farm.

*Heat & new extremes*
Perhaps not surprisingly, global heating is a key concern for many
researchers, like Dim Coumou, who studies extreme weather at Vrije
Universiteit Amsterdam.

Of most concern to him are heat and humidity extremes in the tropics –
especially highly populated parts like West Africa, Pakistan and India –
which will make it unbearable to be outside. When cooling down by
sweating is no longer possible, people can't work outside and therefore
can't grow food. The likely result being mass migration.

But it's not just the tropics.

Closely related to heat is the increase in extreme weather brought on by
a warming climate. Coumou and his colleagues' research shows how changes
to the jet stream will lead to more extreme weather in Europe, including
floods and droughts.
"A warmer atmosphere can hold more water in it and when it rains, it
rains heavily leading to floods. A warmer ocean can lead to stronger
tropical cyclones," said Babiker, who works for the East African Climate
Center ICPAC in Nairobi. He explained that cyclones gain more energy
from warmer water.

"We have seen evidence of all these events," he said. "The strongest
tropical cyclones to impact the Arabian Peninsula, Somalia, and
Mozambique occurred in the past 20 years!"

And extreme weather events can bring further ecological disasters along
with them, like swarms of locusts, as Babiker and his colleagues have
found in their research.
*Science for solutions*
Pests, drought and flooding are on Esther Ngumbi's mind too.

An entomologist and professor of African American studies at the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, she said that what keeps her
up at night is the thought: "How can my science truly help?"

Ngumbi's work on pest and drought-resistant crops is driven by her
concerns for vulnerable farmers who live in countries lacking social
safety nets, where one season of crop devastation due to insects can
mean going hungry and being unable to pay for their children's education.

"That truly makes me wake up every day and go to the lab to understand
how my research can contribute to solutions that we need," she said.

Natasha Picone – an urban climatologist at the National University of
Central Buenos Aires – says it's the solutions that occupy her thoughts too.

"With the pandemic, I realized that we are not doing enough for changing
our cities to be more livable," she said. Her research informs urban
planners about phenomena such as the urban heat island effect, air
pollution and urban run-off that can lead to flooding. "If we don't
change the path now, it will be really difficult to go back."
Weighing on the mind of oceanographer Renata Hanae Nagai at the
University of Parana in Brazil is her four-year-old nephew and what his
life will look like in a warmer world, but he also gives her hope.
During a recent trip to the beach to watch nesting turtles, he warned
others to leave the turtles alone.

She sees this same care in her students – learning about problems and
coming up with solutions.

"People are the solution," she said. "We try, even under the hardest
conditions."

'Scientists are humans' too
Levke Caesar, whose research recently made headlines, said the most
concerning thing for her is the people and organizations who deny
climate change.

"For me, that's like morally totally unacceptable what they do – they
lie," said the climate physicist from Maynooth University in Ireland,
reflecting on encountering such people at public talks. "I mean, you
can't argue with climate."

But this only pushes Caesar to better communicate what the science shows.

*They worry about us*
A common thread of this (rather unscientific) survey is that while we
laypeople might be worrying about what the science says, climate
scientists are often worrying about us.

"Scientists always think about what are the results of their studies,
how are they important for, you know, for usual people, for normal
people," the permafrost scientist told me. While doing his research,
Romanovsky said he's always thinking about "how this could be used to
make life of people easier or more predictable."
https://www.dw.com/en/solutions-climate-change-global-warming-permafrost-locusts-sea-level-extreme-weather-heat/a-57071503

[The Hill seems a bit embarrassed by this article]
*How to combat climate change misinformation*
BY KAREN CONOVER, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR —04/06/21
- -
It’s time to have a serious debate on how to address climate change
without complicating the issue with further deceit or delay.

The seeds of climate change misinformation were planted almost 40 years
ago by the fossil fuel industry which likely understood the negative
impacts that a changing climate could have on their business profits.
The Union of Concerned Scientists and others have documented efforts by
the oil and coal industries in the 1980s to sow doubt about climate
science and develop messaging that we’d now call “alternative facts.”
Special interest groups were formed and funded by fossil fuel interests
to cultivate and spread misinformation that would shut down efforts to
address climate change through legislative or regulatory means.
Political candidates and lawmakers at all levels of government continue
the spread of doubt and dispel any urgency to address the climate
crisis, propelled by political donations and their claims at times
promoted by conservative media outlets. It’s been a brilliantly executed
strategy and the web of deception has secured years of inaction. It’s
also led to immeasurable environmental and human damage — some of which
may now be irreversible.

Fossil fuel companies seem like the obvious villains of this story, but
sometimes the cause of misinformation is not quite so nefarious. In my
work in the renewable energy industry, many of the misconceptions I hear
are simply due to the difficulty in keeping up with the pace of change.
The cost of the clean energy is a good example. The good news is that
wind and solar costs have fallen 70 percent and 90 percent respectively
over the last decade, making them the most affordable new electricity
sources in most of the U.S.

The bad news is that there is a wealth of reports, datasets and news
stories — some just a couple years old — that are outdated and
misrepresent the reality of the technology today. Many people still
don’t realize that reliable and cost-effective technologies to address
climate change are already widely deployed with great success around the
world.

While climate change skeptics will always use whatever information best
suits their purpose, some of the problems of misinformation can be
addressed by launching a widespread education campaign to get accurate
and up to date information into the hands of the public, government
officials, and business leaders who play a role in directing the U.S.
response to climate change.

Unfortunately, petty partisan politics is driving a new round of
deception as a pushback against President Biden’s climate agenda. It may
seem laughable to blame California wildfires on space lasers or the
Texas power outage on wind energy but when a Republican congresswoman
and Republican governor do just that, they are blatantly misleading
those to whom they have sworn to serve. At this point, it’s hard to
imagine who Republican climate change naysayers think they are
representing.
And the oft-cited claim that addressing climate is bad for business or
will hurt the economy? The business community has already left the
politicians behind. It’s not just California tech companies buying
renewable energy and social media giants speaking out against climate
change misinformation. It’s Midwest auto manufacturers committing to
electric vehicles, financial firms incorporating climate risk into their
investment decisions, and big box stores in rural communities installing
solar panels on their rooftops. With mounting evidence and global
consensus, the Republican stance against climate action is growing
increasingly untenable. Eventually, the lies they’ve told will catch up
to them.

Politicians, media outlets and others that mislead, distract and lie
about the reality of climate change need to be held accountable. It’s
notable that the business community have sued conservative media
networks for spreading false claims about the election or acted to
withhold political donations from lawmakers who voted against the
certification of the presidential election. Why not extend those actions
to include those who mislead the public about climate change?

Americans of all political parties must use their votes and their voices
to insist on dealing with the truth and coming together to address
problems. Rest assured, there are still plenty of opportunities to fight
about the policy mechanisms, prioritization and the spending needed to
address climate change. But there are also a lot of ideas related to
climate action that could unite the left and right — creating jobs,
expanding infrastructure, leading the world in technical innovation, for
instance.

If we ignore the facts, we lose the ability to develop solutions or
negotiate good policy. It’s time to shut down the climate deniers and
the misinformation campaigns and adhere to the evidence and analysis
from the scientific community. It’s time to embrace the truth.

Karen Conover is a vice president and senior technical advisor at DNV,
former board member of the American Wind Energy Association and an
ambassador for the Clean Energy, Education and Empowerment Program. She
is also a Public Voices Fellow of the OpEd Project and the Yale Program
on Climate Change Communication.
https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/546667-how-to-combat-climate-change-misinformation

[Movie star]
*The Last Word: Robert Redford on Activism, Fighting Climate Change, and
the Importance of Truth*
The acting legend talks founding Sundance, the moment he became an
environmentalist, and what ‘All the President’s Men’ was really about
By DAVID FEAR - APRIL 6, 2021
- -
*You’ve said that as a longtime environmental activist, you’ve become
more radicalized over time. Was there a moment when you began to
understand that what was happening to our planet was more serious than
you’d realized?*
I was attending a conference in Denver, in 1989, where there was a
presentation by two scientists who explained Earth’s temperatures were
rising — they called it global warming. They explained what would happen
if we ignored this threat. That moment was my wake-up call. I knew they
were speaking the truth. Because one thing we’ve learned is that time
waits for no one. I realized that when there’s something you have to do,
you better act, and act quickly...
- -
*You helped bring All the President’s Men to the screen as a producer,
as well as starring in it. What do you think that film can tell us about
what the nation went through over the past few years?*
That history has a tendency to repeat itself. I was attracted to the
story about two journalists who were searching for the truth. And that
was the story I wanted to tell. It wasn’t about Watergate, really. It
was about journalism and truth...
https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-features/robert-redford-climate-change-interview-1151217/

[fires now]
*Wisconsin Governor Declares State of Emergency Over Wildfire Conditions*
More than 300 wildfires have destroyed nearly 1,500 acres since the
start of the year, and fire officials warn this could be a
longer-than-average season.
By Derrick Bryson Taylor -
April 6, 2021
- -
In the past week, there have been 149 wildfires across Wisconsin,
according to a map on the department’s website, and there have been at
least 340 fires since the start of the year.

Over the weekend, the majority of Wisconsin was under a very high risk
for fire danger, including counties along the Illinois state border and
counties along Lake Michigan. Wildfire conditions across the state will
persist as long as there is a mix of dry vegetation, unseasonably warm
temperatures, low humidity and increasing winds, the department said...
- -
While wildfires can occur at anytime of the year, the department said,
the majority of fires happen between March and May, making spring the
most critical fire season in Wisconsin.

Because of how early the snow melted around the state, fire officials
anticipate a longer-than-average fire season this year.

Wisconsin has seen its share of destructive wildfires in the past 20
years. In 2013, a logging crew unintentionally started a fire that
destroyed nearly 7,500 acres, including 23 residences, the department
said. In 2005, a fire burned 3,410 acres and destroyed at least 30
residences.
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/04/06/us/wisconsin-wildfire

[starting to keep score - 1500 in three years]
*A list of some of the fires attributed to PG&E powerline equipment*
Author Bill Gabbert -- April 6, 2021
Charges were recently filed against the company for their role in
starting the Kincade Fire in Northern California

In light of the charges recently filed against Pacific Gas and Electric
for the role their equipment played in starting the 2019 Kincade Fire in
Northern California, we dug through some records showing the significant
part the company has played in starting numerous wildfires over the last
decade.

The Wall Street Journal (subscription) reported that investigators
attributed more than 1,500 fires to PG&E power lines and hardware
between June 2014 and December 2017.

CAL FIRE attributed 12 fires that started in Northern California on
October 8 and 9, 2017 to PG&E power equipment.

Below are some of the fires attributed to PG&E between 1999 and 2020. It
is not a complete or comprehensive list.

    Zogg Fire, September, 2020, 56,338 acres, destroyed 204 structures,
    and caused the deaths of four people.
    Kincade Fire, October, 2019, 77,000 acres, and destroyed 374 structures.
    Camp Fire, November , 2018, 154,000 acres, destroyed 18,000
    structures, and caused the deaths of 84 people. The company pleaded
    guilty to 84 counts of involuntary manslaughter.
    Cascade Fire, October 2017, 9,989 acres, destroyed 250 structures,
    and caused the deaths of five people, including one firefighter.
    Redwood Valley Fire, October, 2017, 36,523 acres, destroyed 543
    structures, and caused the deaths of 9 people.
    Sulphur Fire, October, 2017, 2,207 acres, destroyed 162 structures.
    Cherokee Fire, October, 2017, 8,417 acres, destroyed 6 structures.
    37 Fire, October, 2017, 1,660 acres, destroyed 3 structures.
    Blue Fire, October, 2017, 20 acres.
    Norrbom, Adobe, Partrick, Pythian and Nuns Fires burned together,
    56,556 acres, destroyed 1,255 structures, and caused the deaths of 3
    people.
    Pocket Fire, October, 2017, 17,357 acres, destroyed 783 structures.
    Atlas Fire, October, 2017, 51,624 acres, destroyed 783 structures,
    and caused the deaths of 6 people.
    Butte Fire, September 2015, 70,868 acres, destroyed a total of 921
    structures, including 549 homes, 368 outbuildings, and 4 commercial
    properties, and caused the deaths of two people.
    Pendola Fire, October, 1999, 11,725 acres.

https://wildfiretoday.com/2021/04/06/a-list-of-some-of-the-fires-attributed-to-pge-powerline-equipment/

*On this day in the history of global warming - April 7, 2009 *

April 7, 2009: In a story entitled "New Data Show Rapid Arctic Ice
Decline," the Washington Post observes: "The new evidence -- including
satellite data showing that the average multiyear wintertime sea ice
cover in the Arctic in 2005 and 2006 was nine feet thick, a significant
decline from the 1980s -- contradicts data cited in widely circulated
reports by Washington Post columnist George F. Will that sea ice in the
Arctic has not significantly declined since 1979."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/06/AR2009040601634.html

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.