[TheClimate.Vote] January 16, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Jan 16 10:41:30 EST 2021

/*January 16, 2021*/

[Blah, blah, blah says Greta]
*LIVE from #OnePlanetSummit in Paris:*
Bla bla nature
Bla bla important
Bla bla ambitious
Bla bla green investments
Bla bla great opportunity
Bla bla green growth
Bla bla net zero
Bla bla step up our game
Bla bla hope
Bla bla bla...*

*locking in decades of further destruction
Quote Tweet
One Planet Summit
@oneplanetsummit
  · Jan 11
LIVE | At #OnePlanetSummit France is mobilising political and business
leaders from across the world to act against the erosion of
biodiversity. There’s no Planet B.
https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1BdGYYXReXyGX
https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1348630951769878530

[New political directions]
*Most Democrats and Republicans think the government should make climate
change a priority*
A new survey finds broad support among American voters for doing more on
climate change.

By Jariel Arvin at jarielarvin  Jan 15, 2021,
A new study has found widespread support for climate-friendly energy
policies among registered Republicans and Democrats.

The study, conducted by Yale University and George Mason University’s
climate change communication programs, surveyed nearly 1,000 registered
voters from across the political spectrum — Republicans, Democrats, and
independents — in December...
The survey found 53 percent of registered voters think global warming
should be a high or very high priority for the president and Congress
while 66 percent feel the same about developing clean energy sources.

There was also broad support from both Democrats and Republicans for
eight energy policies that would help address climate change...
- -
Once in office, Biden’s climate plan calls for decarbonizing the US
power sector by 2035. He has also made plans to achieve net-zero
emissions by 2050 a cornerstone of his campaign. According to this
study, about two-thirds of registered voters would be on board with such
policies, signaling good news for the Biden administration’s climate goals.

So while there is some evidence that climate change is still a divisive
issue, there’s also growing evidence that climate-friendly policies and
taking action on climate change have bipartisan support.
https://www.vox.com/2021/1/15/22233228/democrats-republicans-view-climate-change-global-warming

[family ties, patronage]
*Justice Amy Coney Barrett to hear climate lawsuit against Shell –
despite accusations of conflict of interest*
Despite her father’s long career at Shell, Justice Barrett is due to
hear arguments in a case brought against the oil giant by the city of
Baltimore next week, writes senior climate correspondent Louise Boyle
Trump’s Supreme Court appointee, Justice Amy Coney Barrett, is set to
hear legal arguments in a climate lawsuit against Shell next week amid
conflict-of-interest accusations due to her father’s 30-year legal
career at the oil giant.

A hearing is scheduled for Tuesday before the US’s highest court in the
case brought by the city of Baltimore against Big Oil, including
ExxonMobil, Shell and BP, demanding damages associated with sea-level
rise and other effects of the climate crisis.

Justice Barrett’s father, Michael Coney, spent three decades as an
attorney for Shell Oil between 1978 and 2007, where he oversaw legal
issues for Shell’s offshore drilling arm.
While Mr Coney was at Shell, the oil giant’s own scientists published a
90-page, confidential internal memo (which was later leaked) that
asserted "the main cause of increasing C02 concentrations is considered
to be fossil-fuel burning".
The 1988 report includes details on the “direct operational
consequences” of global heating on the company’s "offshore
installations, coastal facilities and operations platforms, harbours,
refineries, depots".

At time of publication, the case docket did not show that Justice
Barrett had recused herself. The Supreme Court told The Independent in
an email that justices generally do not comment on their recusal in
particular cases.

When she was a lower-court judge, Justice Barrett recused herself from
cases involving Shell Oil due to her father’s former senior legal role
at the company.
“My father worked at Shell Oil Company for many years, and while on the
Seventh Circuit, in an abundance of caution, I have recused myself from
cases involving those Shell entities with which he was involved,”
Justice Barret wrote in a questionnaire during her Senate confirmation
hearings in October.

Mr Coney also held a top position at American Petroleum Institute (API),
the fossil fuel industry’s powerful lobbying arm. API is backing the oil
firms in the Baltimore case by filing an amicus brief, a move to allow a
non-party to a case to offer information, expertise, or insight.
There is the possibility that Mr Coney could be deposed in the case,
according to legal experts.

“Her dad’s role in maximising Shell’s net revenue from drilling grew
even as Shell’s internal documents show it knew burning carbon was
changing our climate and he even sought tax benefits from its efforts to
adapt its drilling platforms to survive sea level rise and bigger storms
resulting from climate change,” Lisa Graves, executive director of True
North Research and a former chief counsel for nominations on the Senate
Judiciary Committee, told Huffington Post.

Earlier this week, a group of science, environmental and legal advocacy
organisations called on Justice Barrett to recuse herself.
Another Supreme Court judge, Justice Samuel Alito, already recused
himself from the Baltimore case, according to filings, as he reportedly
owns stock in oil and gas firms.
“We urge Justice Barrett to heed both precedent and common sense and
join Justice Alito in recusing herself from this case brought against
Big Oil,” said Kathy Mulvey, from the Union of Concerned Scientists.

“It’s well known that Justice Barrett’s father worked for decades as an
attorney at Shell Oil, a named defendant in the case. He also played an
active role in the American Petroleum Institute, the industry’s main US
lobby group, which is funded by numerous defendants in the Baltimore
suit and has submitted an amicus curiae brief in support of their
petition to the Supreme Court.

"These deep and long-standing conflicts of interest have led Justice
Barrett to recuse herself from cases regarding Shell in the past. Her
obligation to judicial impartiality should lead her to do the same here.
Baltimore residents deserve access to impartial justice for the climate
harms they are suffering.”

In 2018, Baltimore became one of several US cities to try to hold oil
giants financially responsible for the climate crisis, saying that
companies pushed misinformation for decades, despite internal documents
revealing their own scientists knew all too well the risks.

The Maryland city says it faces massive costs to protect its residents,
businesses and infrastructure from the escalating impacts of climate change.

“For 50 years, these companies have known their products would cause
rising seas and the other climate change-related problems facing
Baltimore today,” Baltimore Solicitor Andre Davis said at the time.

“They could have warned us. They could have taken steps to minimise or
avoid the damage. In fact, they had a responsibility to do both, but
they didn’t, and that’s why we are taking them to court.”

The city battles extended heatwaves, particularly dangerous in so-called
"urban heat islands", which are more likely to be in predominantly Black
and poorer neighbourhoods. In these areas, doctors point to increased
rates of chronic illnesses that are exacerbated by heat, especially lung
diseases like asthma, emphysema or bronchitis.

By 2045, Baltimore, located in Chesapeake Bay, is expected to see a
ten-fold increase in tidal floods each year – to more than 225 – because
of sea-level rise alone (compared with today’s average).

Baltimore originally filed its climate suit in Baltimore Circuit Court,
not federal court. But oil companies have gone to war to move cases,
like the one from Baltimore, to the Supreme Court, believing they are
more likely to have the upper hand there, E&E News said.

  The city is now asking the Supreme Court to refer the suit, which
seeks unspecified damages, back to state court.

During his term, President Donald Trump was able to tip the balance of
the land’s highest court by appointing three conservative justices –
Barrett, Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh. But he also managed to get
more than 200 judges onto the federal bench, reshaping the judiciary for
a generation.

During nomination hearings in October, Justice Barrett insisted that she
would bring no personal agenda to the Supreme Court, instead deciding
cases “as they come”.

However, she refused to say that climate change is scientific fact,
calling it instead “a very contentious matter of public debate”.

“I will not express a view on a matter of public policy, especially one
that is politically controversial,” Judge Barrett said.

“You know, I”m certainly not a scientist,” she also stated. “I mean,
I’ve read things about climate change. I would not say that I have firm
views on it.”

Her words alarmed environmentalists and brought condemnation from
scientists who have long-established the facts that human-caused CO2
emissions are heating the planet.

Activist Greta Thunberg tweeted: “To be fair, I don’t have any ‘views on
climate change’ either. Just like I don’t have any ‘views’ on gravity,
the fact that the earth is round, photosynthesis nor evolution.

“But understanding and knowing their existence really makes life in the
21st century so much easier.”

Brett Hartl, government affairs director at the Center for Biological
Diversity, told The Independent: "It is a typical conservative,
right-wing view that scientific reality is something that you can have
an opinion about."
https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/amy-coney-barrett-shell-lawsuit-b1788034.html

[Lessons not learned will be repeated]
*Hounded by Wildfires, Californians Rethink Their Willingness to Rebuild*
In the aftermath, some people are deciding to just begin new lives
elsewhere. The pandemic and longstanding housing problems haven’t made
the choices any easier.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/15/realestate/california-wildfires-rebuild.html

[Conjecture where 43C = 109.4 F ]
*Climate change: what would 4°C of global warming feel like?*
January 15, 2021
Feeling the heat
One way of bridging the gap between climate models and the real world is
to draw on personal memories of past extreme heat. Stop to think about
the highest temperatures you’ve ever experienced outdoors in the shade.
For me, it was 43°C in a suburb of Melbourne, Australia. This felt hot
but was much less than the highest temperature ever reliably recorded
above ground – 54.4°C in Death Valley National Park, California, on
August 16 2020. [129.9 F]

How about the hottest you’ve ever felt indoors? If I ignore saunas, mine
was inside a home in Accra, Ghana. The room had wooden walls, a metal
roof, and no air conditioning. Here, the temperature reached 38°C. Even
though this was lower than in Melbourne, with the poor ventilation and
humid air, the heat felt stifling...
- -
Without action, the number of unbearably hot homes is set to grow. By
2050, 68% of humanity may live in urban areas and populations in the
tropics will be most exposed to extreme humid heat. We know surprisingly
little about these front lines of climate change, especially within the
streets and homes of low-income communities.
https://theconversation.com/climate-change-what-would-4-c-of-global-warming-feel-like-152625

[for instance]
*The Southwest’s race against the climate clock*
New Mexico is facing a drier than normal winter—its reservoirs are
nearly tapped out. Things are going to get worse
By LAURA PASKUS - JANUARY 15, 2021
- -
This year, the U.S. Southwest is facing La Niña conditions, which will
bring a drier than normal winter. Already, stream flows are below normal
across the state and many reservoirs are nearly tapped out. In southern
New Mexico, managers with the Elephant Butte Irrigation District have
already warned farmers they should brace for a "zero allotment" of water
in 2021.

An expert on water issues, state Rep. Melanie Stansbury (D-Albuquerque)
is leading the charge on climate change in the legislature. And during
the 2021 session, she is introducing the Climate Resiliency and Security
Act.

"We're already seeing the signs of climate change in our water
supplies," says Stansbury, who worked on Capitol Hill and for the
federal Office of Management and Budget before returning home to New
Mexico a few years ago and running for office. (Stansbury is also
planning a run for U.S. Congress, to replace Rep. Deb Haaland, whom the
Biden administration has nominated as Secretary of the U.S. Department
of the Interior.)
And things are going to get worse.

Recently briefed on a draft federal report, Stansbury says New Mexico is
staring down a 70% to 100% reduction in snowpack that feeds the state's
two largest rivers — the Rio Grande and Pecos — between 2070 and the end
of the century. "Every tiny rural community, every farm in our state is
vulnerable to climate change," she says. "And if we don't
institutionalize helping our communities, we're going to be in a lot of
trouble."

If passed, the bill would codify in state statute climate-related
targets set by Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham to reduce greenhouse gas
emissions to at least 45% below 2005 levels by 2030. The bill would also
expand that goal to net-zero emissions by 2050...
- -
Cracking apart the ties between state government and the fossil fuel
industry is daunting. Romero y Carver says it has been "terrifying" to
witness the power that industry executives and lobbyists wield in the state.

"Initially when I looked at it, I felt desperate and defeated," he says.
"But I don't think there is anything more powerful than people united in
community. As powerful as the oil and gas industry is, if we're
organized, and loud, and [if we] say what we want and make our public
servants act as servants to the public, we can stand a chance."

But there's not much time.

Even if politicians act on the timeline to cut greenhouse gas emissions
that the United Nations warned was imperative, it won't stop climate
change — only help the world avoid the worst impacts.

"We're not ending climate change, just mitigating disaster," says the
17-year-old. "But we have to act like our lives depend on it. Because
they do."
Copyright 2021 Capital & Main
https://www.salon.com/2021/01/14/the-southwests-race-against-the-climate-clock_partner/

*On this day in the history of global warming - January 16, 2006 *

January 16, 2006: At a speech in Constitution Hall, Washington, D.C.,
former Vice President Al Gore declares:

"[T]he American people, who have a right to believe that its elected
representatives will learn the truth and act on the basis of knowledge
and utilize the rule of reason, have been let down.

To take another example, scientific warnings about the catastrophic
consequences of unchecked global warming were censored by a political
appointee in the White House with no scientific training whatsoever.

"Today one of the most distinguished scientific experts in the world on
global warming, who works in NASA, has been ordered not to talk to
members of the press; ordered to keep a careful log of everyone he meets
with so that the executive branch can monitor and control what he shares
of his knowledge about global warming.

"This is a planetary crisis. We owe ourselves a truthful and reasoned
discussion."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/16/AR2006011600779.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD_2e1dIl2s

*** Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry
text-only message can provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender.
Messages have no tracking software.