[✔️] July 26, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Jul 26 06:11:51 EDT 2021

/*July 26, 2021*/

[Anyone in the West should view Fire news]
*Holt Hanley Weather*
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGjtp7iaeVmoVx-K7EGiYKA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg0KWIufDqM

- -

[3 different Smoke Maps]
*Click and view for current US smoke *
https://hwp-viz.gsd.esrl.noaa.gov/smoke/
https://www.arl.noaa.gov/hysplit/smoke-forecasting/
https://fire.airnow.gov/

[Fire update]
*Thousands evacuated as US wildfires burn across California and Nevada -
BBC News*
Jul 25, 2021
BBC News
Fire crews are battling extreme temperatures as they try to control
wildfires in California and Nevada. Hundreds of people have been evacuated.

In Washington DC, the moon turned a bright orange colour due to the
smoke from the fires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci24lKWLPT0

- -

[DW video report ]
*Wildfires ravage west coast of the United States | DW News*
Jul 23, 2021
DW News
America's West is on fire with wildfires ravaging 13 states, spewing
massive amounts of smoke and ash that's adversely affecting air quality
as far away as New York City.

The largest wildfire at present is in the western state of Oregon.
Bootleg Fire has already destroyed an area larger than Los Angeles.

Many experts are convinced that the extreme heat and drought fueling the
fires in the US is caused by climate change. And it's also why mega
fires are becoming more frequent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhjtF7Z2laQ

[evaluation]
*The West is burning. Climate change is making it worse.*
Almost 1.5 million acres of the US are on fire right now.
Cameron Peters - - Jul 25, 2021
- -
More than 2.77 million acres have burned so far in 2021, about 800,000
more than at the same time last year but less than in 2019 and other
previous years...
https://www.vox.com/2021/7/25/22592004/wildfires-climate-change-reconciliation-bill

[The Chinese call theirs the Fifty Cent Army]
THE INTERPRETER
*Disinformation for Hire, a Shadow Industry, Is Quietly Booming*
Back-alley firms meddle in elections and promote falsehoods on behalf of
clients who can claim deniability, escalating our era of unreality.
By Max Fisher - - July 25, 2021
In May, several French and German social media influencers received a
strange proposal.

A London-based public relations agency wanted to pay them to promote
messages on behalf of a client. A polished three-page document detailed
what to say and on which platforms to say it.

But it asked the influencers to push not beauty products or vacation
packages, as is typical, but falsehoods tarring Pfizer-BioNTech’s
Covid-19 vaccine. Stranger still, the agency, Fazze, claimed a London
address where there is no evidence any such company exists.

Some recipients posted screenshots of the offer. Exposed, Fazze scrubbed
its social media accounts. That same week, Brazilian and Indian
influencers posted videos echoing Fazze’s script to hundreds of
thousands of viewers...

The scheme appears to be part of a secretive industry that security
analysts and American officials say is exploding in scale:
disinformation for hire...

Private firms, straddling traditional marketing and the shadow world of
geopolitical influence operations, are selling services once conducted
principally by intelligence agencies.

They sow discord, meddle in elections, seed false narratives and push
viral conspiracies, mostly on social media. And they offer clients
something precious: deniability.

“Disinfo-for-hire actors being employed by government or
government-adjacent actors is growing and serious,” said Graham Brookie,
director of the Atlantic Council’s Digital Forensic Research Lab,
calling it “a boom industry.”

Similar campaigns have been recently found promoting India’s ruling
party, Egyptian foreign policy aims and political figures in Bolivia and
Venezuela...
- -
Since 2019, Graphika, a digital research firm, has tracked a network it
nicknamed “Spamouflage” for its early reliance on spamming social
platforms with content echoing Beijing’s line on geopolitical issues.
Most posts received little or no engagement.
In recent months, however, the network has developed hundreds of
accounts with elaborate personas. Each has its own profile and posting
history that can seem authentic. They appeared to come from many
different countries and walks of life.

Graphika traced the accounts back to a Bangladeshi content farm that
created them in bulk and probably sold them to a third party.

The network pushes strident criticism of Hong Kong democracy activists
and American foreign policy. By coordinating without seeming to, it
created an appearance of organic shifts in public opinion — and often
won attention.

The accounts were amplified by a major media network in Panama,
prominent politicians in Pakistan and Chile, Chinese-language YouTube
pages, the left-wing British commentator George Galloway and a number of
Chinese diplomatic accounts.

A separate pro-Beijing network, uncovered by a Taiwanese investigative
outlet called The Reporter, operated hundreds of Chinese-language
websites and social media accounts.

Disguised as news sites and citizen groups, they promoted Taiwanese
reunification with mainland China and denigrated Hong Kong’s protesters.
The report found links between the pages and a Malaysia-based start-up
that offered web users Singapore dollars to promote the content.

But governments may find that outsourcing such shadowy work also carries
risks, Mr. Brookie said. For one, the firms are harder to control and
might veer into undesired messages or tactics...
For another, firms organized around deceit may be just as likely to turn
those energies toward their clients, bloating budgets and billing for
work that never gets done.

“The bottom line is that grifters are going to grift online,” he said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/25/world/europe/disinformation-social-media.html

- -

[Here is the most trusted database of Misinformers]
*Climate Disinformation Database*
Welcome to DeSmog’s Climate Disinformation Database, where you can
browse our extensive research on the individuals and organizations that
have helped to delay and distract the public and our elected leaders
from taking needed action to reduce greenhouse gas pollution and fight
global warming.
https://www.desmog.com/climate-disinformation-database/

- -

[Another trusted database of known deceivers]
*SourceWatch*
The Center for Media and Democracy publishes SourceWatch to track
corporations.
We provide well-documented information about corporate public relations
(PR) campaigns, including corporate front groups, people who "front"
corporate campaigns, and PR operations.

Please visit SourceWatch's sister websites EXPOSEDbyCMD, to find our
investigations and original documents we release, PRWatch, to read our
original reporting, and ALECexposed, to see our award-winning
investigation of a corporate front group where corporate lobbyists
actually vote as equals with elected legislators on "model" legislation
to change our rights.
https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=SourceWatch

[dispense with despair]
*How to Calm Your Climate Anxiety*
Between wildfires, heat waves and hurricanes, we’re all feeling nervous
about the future. But stewing or ignoring the problem won’t ease your
burden.
By Molly Peterson - July 23, 2021
Three years ago, after the Woolsey Fire, 53-year-old Greg Kochanowski
returned to the Santa Monica Mountains and drove past his own street
without recognizing it.

The most destructive wildfire in Los Angeles County history had torn
through his Seminole Springs neighborhood, burning more than half of the
area’s homes to the ground, including his. What remained was “a
moonscape,” he said — ash and char, black and gray.

Losing his home was traumatic. But losing his bearings in his own
neighborhood “scared the hell out of” him, Mr. Kochanowski remembered,
and triggered new existential concerns about climate change.
Now he agonizes over his 14-year-old daughter’s future. “What kind of a
world will Ava grow up in?” he said. “Will Southern California be
uninhabitable when she is my age?”
Mr. Kochanowski’s sense of dread fits into an array of sentiments often
called climate anxiety, a term that includes anger, worry and insecurity
stemming from an awareness of a warming planet.
“I actually think many people have been experiencing this silently and
privately for a number of years,” said Renee Lertzman, a climate
psychologist and consultant to businesses and nonprofits. But “the
conversation is no longer marginal. It really has burst through.”

Evidence that climate change threatens mental health is mounting,
according to a recent report from Imperial College London’s Institute of
Global Health Innovation. Higher temperatures are tied to depressive
language and higher suicide rates. Fires, hurricanes and heat waves
carry the risk of trauma and depression.

Cascading climate-driven disasters have forced American Red Cross
volunteers to stay in the field for months, rather than weeks, said
Trevor Riggen, who runs the group’s domestic disaster programs. He noted
that because of climate change, the Red Cross has been shifting from a
focus on immediate trauma, “to this more chronic condition that needs a
different type of mental health intervention, or spiritual care.”

Young people, especially report feeling debilitated by climate anxiety
and being frustrated by older generations. “They try to understand, but
they don’t,” said 16-year-old Adah Crandall, a climate and anti-freeway
activist in Portland, Oregon. “I am scared for my future because of the
inaction of adults in the past.”
Today, when the humidity drops, Mr. Kochanowski sees the anxiety on his
neighbors’ faces. Hot days stretch across more of the year and dewy,
cool mornings are rare. Sometimes, he wonders if they should move on.

“You realize the larger forces that have always been beyond your
control,” he said. “That level of realization makes you feel a little
helpless.”

Andi Poland, 49, a technical recruiter who lives near Denver, said she
too experiences anxiety, grief and dread about a hotter planet. “I am
glad that I am short for this earth,” she said. “I figure I have
one-third of my life left. I am not upset that I only have that much time.”

But experts say those dark emotions can also be the basis for
empowerment — and progress. Writing in The Lancet, researchers recently
argued that climate anxiety “may be the crucible through which humanity
must pass to harness the energy and conviction that are needed for the
lifesaving changes now required.”

*Your feelings about climate are justified.*
Anxiety is a rational response to the growing risks of climate change,
according to Merritt Juliano, a therapist in Westport, Conn., and the
co-president of the Climate Psychology Alliance North America. But we
shouldn’t hide from it or ignore it.

“Our emotions are not something to be solved,” Ms. Juliano said. Rather
than shove concerns about climate away, people need to identify them and
realize they are there for a reason. “Embracing them makes us that much
stronger.”
*Connection to other people is key.*
In one poll of 1,000 people by the American Psychiatric Association,
more than half said they’re concerned about the impact climate change is
having on mental health. You don’t have to survive a hurricane to
experience climate anxiety, said Britt Wray, a post-doctorate fellow who
studies the mental health impacts of climate change at Stanford
University. Suffering a longer mosquito season in Pennsylvania, seeing
orcas disappear from Puget Sound or simply reading about catastrophic
flooding in Germany can prompt a deeper emotional reaction to changing
climate.
“We can all reach out at arm’s length and touch it, no matter what our
standing, no matter what our life experience is,” said Dr. Wray.

As the pandemic made clear, when people don’t talk about anxiety, the
resulting isolation can lead to depression, Dr. Lertzman said.

Informal gatherings called climate cafes, organized across the country
and world, aim to bring people together to share feelings and reactions
to the climate crisis. Other groups combine community with action.

The nonprofit Good Grief Network offers support for climate distress
through a 10-step process, introduced at weekly meetings that culminate
with a commitment to “reinvest in meaningful efforts.”

Bradley Pitts, a 43-year-old artist, says his climate-related emotions
have offered him “opportunities to engage in decisions in a different
way.” After attending Good Grief meetings, he and his wife have shifted
personal choices toward adapting to and mitigating climate change. They
purchased an old commercial farm in upstate New York, and committed to
returning it to meadows and forestland.
After reckoning with climate anxiety, Pitts said, “Sitting on the
sidelines is no longer an option.”
*Action is the antidote to anxiety.*
“We don’t see any single approach as a silver bullet” against climate
anxiety and inaction, said Sarah Jornsay-Silverberg, the Good Grief
Network’s executive director. Instead, the goal is to do things, small
or large, that mean something to you, and reflect the internal shift in
your outlook.

For instance, people often associate energy efficiency with turning off
lights, but a single use of a clothes dryer uses as much electricity as
running a standard LED bulb for 13 days.

ReWild Long Island promotes biodiverse alternatives to traditional
lawns, which volunteer Charlie Sacha calls “America’s biggest and most
wasteful crop.” Ms. Sacha, 17, is a Manhasset High School senior; she
said that she had her first anxiety attack in 2018, after reading that
greenhouse pollution must be reduced by 45 percent by 2030 to prevent a
dangerous 2.7 degrees of warming.

“I don’t have that much power to do things on a grand global level,” she
said. “But you can quite literally make a change in your own backyard.”

Some people join local “buy nothing” groups in order to minimize the
heavy carbon footprint of shipped purchases. Others work to get
climate-aware politicians elected.

ISeeChange, a community climate and weather platform, encourages
volunteers to record observations about local change online. In New
Orleans, participants collective storm-water data to show flooding
impacts outside of expected models. As a result, local officials
redirected nearly $5 million in federal funding to build a bigger
storm-water detention tank in one low-income neighborhood.

*Whatever you do, make it stick.*
The very thing that fuels your anxiety — your imagination — may also be
your most powerful tool to overcome it, said Dr. Wray.

In California, Mr. Kochanowski said the Woolsey Fire and the anxiety
that followed have reframed his work. A landscape architect, he’s
establishing what he calls a research laboratory to promote more radical
climate-adapted building and design.

Mr. Kochanowski knows that fire is essential to the oak woodlands and
chaparral of his home — over the past two decades, fire has forced his
family to evacuate three times. But they love their neighborhood, and
believe they can help adapt it to a new climate reality.

Using noncombustible materials and sustainable defensible space, they
have rebuilt. And next to their new home, they planted a flowering tipu
tree, which can spread a canopy of shade within just a few years. “The
idea was, we’re not going to be defeated by this thing,” he said.

Molly Peterson is a Los Angeles-based investigative journalist who
focuses on the intersections of climate, catastrophe and public health.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/23/well/mind/mental-health-climate-anxiety.html

[Radical Activism - audio interview]
*Blow up pipelines? Tadzio Müller and Andreas Malm on what next for the
climate movement*
May 5, 2021
Lukas Ondreka
Why is Fridays For Future failing and what to do about it? Tadzio Müller
and Andreas Malm, two of the leading thinkers of the radical climate
movement, discuss what's next for the fight against climate disaster in
the global north.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnlDeLXaifY

[nuisance floodings will go beyond warming to lunar changes]
*18.6 Year Lunar Cycle May Dramatically Increase Floods On Earth*
Jul 23, 2021
Anton Petrov
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFASUe3bApQ

[More fires expected in the Seattle area.]
*CNN on fire whirls, fire tornadoes, and “pyro” clouds*
Bill Gabbert - -July 24, 2021
A reporter for CNN, Rachel Ramirez, wrote an “explainer” article about
some of the phenomena associated with wildfires that are part of the
common parlance among wildland firefighters, but might seem strange to
normal people. Some of the topics covered are fire whirls, fire
tornadoes, pyrocumulus clouds, and fires “creating their own weather.”

Ms. Ramirez has quotes from Janice Coen, a scientist at the National
Center for Atmospheric Research and at least one other name that will be
familiar to our readers.

Here is a brief excerpt from the article:

And as climate change accelerates, these wind patterns will continue to
shift.

“With the changing climate, the projected change is that the jet stream
will shift towards the north,” Coen told CNN, which means that “we might
see fewer of these events in California, and see more in Oregon and
Washington if these wind events, the regional weather pattern, coincide
with underlying dry periods in fortuitous ignitions.”
https://wildfiretoday.com/2021/07/24/cnn-on-fire-whirls-fire-tornadoes-and-pyro-clouds/

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming July 26, 2015*

On CNN's "Fareed Zakaria GPS," James Hansen discusses the risks of sea
level rise and the need for carbon pricing.

http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2015/07/26/dr-james-hansen-gives-his-idea-to-curb-climate-change-on-fareed-zakaria-gps/

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry