[✔️] September 26, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Sep 26 09:14:12 EDT 2021

/*September 26, 2021*/

/[top opinion in The Guardian]/
*The climate crisis has made the idea of a better future impossible to
imagine*
Ian Jack//- Sept 25, 2021
Writing in 2003, the American environmentalist Bill McKibben observed
that although “some small percentage” of scientists, diplomats and
activists had known for 15 years that the Earth was facing a disastrous
change, their knowledge had almost completely failed to alarm anyone else.

It certainly alarmed McKibben: in June 1988, the scientist James Hansen
testified to the US Congress that the world was warming rapidly and
human behaviour was the primary cause – the first loud and unequivocal
warning of the climate crisis to come – and before the next year was
out, McKibben had published The End of Nature, the first book about
climate change for a lay audience. But few others seemed particularly
worried. “People think about ‘global warming’ in the way they think
about ‘violence on television’ or ‘growing trade deficits’, as a
marginal concern to them, if a concern at all,” he wrote in 2003.
“Hardly anyone has fear in their guts.”/.../
- -
It would be wrong, however, to confine the blame for our delayed
engagement to straightforward denialism. Recognising climate breakdown
as a possibly terminal crisis for civilisation led to the difficulty of
managing it inside our heads. As David Runciman, professor of politics
at Cambridge University, wrote six years ago: “It’s hard​ to come up
with a good analogy for climate change but that doesn’t stop people from
trying. We seem to want some way of framing the problem that makes a
decent outcome look less unlikely than it often appears.” He listed the
most common analogies: climate was a “moonshot problem”, a “war
mobilisation problem”, a “disease eradication problem”. Beyond giving a
notion of the effort required, none worked; war, for instance, needed a
clear enemy in view – and in the climate crisis, Runciman wrote, “the
enemy is us”. Analogies offered a false comfort: “Just because we did
all those things doesn’t mean we can do this one.”/.../
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/25/climate-crisis-future-emergency

/[ Yes 2020 was hot]/
*Reporting on the State of the Climate in 2020*
International report confirms 2020 was among three warmest years on record
https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/reporting-state-climate-2020

- -

/[ describing what is available]/
*State of the Climate*
An international, peer-reviewed publication released each summer, the
State of the Climate is the authoritative annual summary of the global
climate published as a supplement to the Bulletin of the American
Meteorological Society.
The report, compiled by NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental
Information, is based on contributions from scientists from around the
world. It provides a detailed update on global climate indicators,
notable weather events, and other data collected by environmental
monitoring stations and instruments located on land, water, ice, and in
space...
https://www.ametsoc.org/index.cfm/ams/publications/bulletin-of-the-american-meteorological-society-bams/state-of-the-climate/

- -

/[ a 12 page summary ]/
*A Look at 2020**
**Takeaway Points from the State of the Climate*
https://ametsoc.net/sotc2020/Executive_Summary_2020_SoC.pdf

/[Prof Adam Fenech Univ of Prince Edward Island -- especially hear the
questions]/
*CLIMATE CHANGE - We're screwed! It is our fault! ****It's Gonna Get
**Worse!  There's Nothing We Can Do About it! *
Jun 30, 2021
Canadian Association for the Club of Rome
Topic: CLIMATE CHANGE: We’re screwed, it’s our fault, it’s going to get
worse, and there’s nothing we can do about it!
Dr. Fenech has worked extensively in the area of climate change since
the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change First Assessment Report in
1988.

He has edited 8 books on climate change, most recently on Global Climate
Change, Biodiversity and Sustainability in the Middle East.

Dr. Fenech has worked for Harvard University researching the history of
the science/policy interfaces of climate change. He has represented
Canada at international climate negotiating sessions; written climate
policy speeches for Canadian Environment Ministers; and authored
Canadian reports on climate change to the United Nations.

Dr. Fenech has taught at the University of Toronto as well as the
Smithsonian Institution for over 20 years, and lectures regularly at
universities across Canada and around the world.

Dr. Fenech shared in the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize for his work with the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

He is presently the Director of the University of Prince Edward Island’s
Climate Research Lab that conducts research on the vulnerability,
impacts and adaptation to climate change, where his virtual reality
depiction of sea level rise has won international awards including one
from MIT for communicating coastal science.

He maintains the largest fleet of drones at a Canadian university
including the largest drone in the country with a four metre wingspan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKDjjX4v6Ds

[Conclusion:  We're screwed! It is our fault!  It's Gonna Get Worse!
There's Nothing Very Little that We Can Do About it! ]

[it's mostly methane]
*Could we be hitting natural gas limits already?*
Sept 25, 2021 by Gail Tverberg
Many countries have assumed that natural gas imports will be available
for balancing electricity produced by intermittent wind and solar,
whenever they are needed. The high natural gas import prices recently
being encountered in Europe, and especially in the UK, appear to be an
indication of an underlying problem. Could the world already be hitting
natural gas limits?
One reason few people expect a problem with natural gas is because of
the immense quantities reported as proven reserves. For all countries
combined, these reserves at December 31, 2020 were equal to 48.8 times
world natural gas production in 2020. Thus, in theory, the world could
continue to produce natural gas at the current rate for almost 50 years,
without even trying to to find more natural gas resources.
- -
After the Great Recession, natural gas import prices tended to fall
below oil prices (Figure 5) except in Japan, where stability of supply
is very important. Another change was that an increasing share of
exported natural gas was sold in the “spot” market. These prices
fluctuate depending on changes in supply and demand, making them much
more variable...
- -
*[8] Conclusion. It is easy to be lulled into complacency by the huge
natural gas reserves that seem to be available.*

Unfortunately, it is necessary to build all of the infrastructure that
is required to extract natural gas resources and deliver them to
customers at a price that the customers can truly afford. At the same
time, the price needs to be acceptable to the organization building the
infrastructure.

Of course, more debt or money created out of thin air doesn’t solve the
problem. Resources of many kinds need to be available to build the
required infrastructure. At the same time, wages of workers need to be
high enough that they can purchase the physical goods they require,
including food, clothing, housing and basic transportation.

At this point, the problem with high prices is most noticeable is in
Europe, with its dependence on natural gas imports. Europe may just be
the “canary in the coal mine.” The problem has the potential to spread
to other natural gas prices and to other fossil fuel prices, pushing the
world economy toward recession.

At a minimum, people planning the use of intermittent electricity from
wind or solar should not assume that reasonably priced natural gas will
always be available for balancing. One likely area for shortfall will be
winter, as well as storing up reserves for winter (the problem affecting
Europe now), since winter is when heating needs are the highest and
solar resources are the lowest.
https://ourfiniteworld.com/2021/09/25/could-we-be-hitting-natural-gas-limits-already/

/[ Failure to protect others is an awful feeling ]/
/*Six dogs sickened or dead near the Tri-Cities, all thought to have
recent contact with Columbia River*/
Anna King (NW News Network) Sept. 17, 2021...
- -
“I caught a glimpse of her at the launch as they lifted her out of the
boat,” says Erin Dickey, of Richland, the adult daughter of the dog’s
owners Janet and Tony Ogden of Richland. “She was limp. Her tongue was
sticking out between her teeth and it was white. She might have been
gone at that point.”

It took about less than an hour to get Charlie from the river’s edge to
a vet in Pasco, but by then she was dead.

Since Monday five more pets have turned up sick or dead near the
Tri-Cities. All are believed to have had recent contact with Columbia
River water: Four have died. Two dogs were sickened, but survived.

The culprit? Toxic algae.

*Richland Riverfront closed*
Health officials now have closed the river shore from the boat launch at
Howard Amon Park to the confluence of the Yakima River. The closure came
after river water sample results from a King County lab showed the
presence of Anatoxin-a — especially dangerous for small children and
animals.

In a press release from Benton-Franklin Health District, officials say:
“People and animals are exposed by ingesting the water. Symptoms appear
within 15-20 minutes after ingestion depending upon the size of the
person/animal affected and the amount of toxins consumed.

Exposure in animals may result in weakness, staggering, difficulty
breathing, convulsions, and death.

In people, signs may include numbness of the lips, tingling in fingers
and toes, and dizziness. Exposure to Anatoxin-a can be fatal.”

Officials also cautioned against eating fish caught near the Columbia
River algae bloom.

Toxic algae is usually found in warm, slow moving water with elevated
nutrients, such as fertilizer. According to University of Washington
research scientist Ryan McCabe, Columbia River water levels at its mouth
are the lowest seen since at least 1991.

“Data prior to that [1991] are pretty spotty, so not the greatest,”
McCabe said in an email.

Record heat and widespread drought are likely playing a part, according
to the state Department of Ecology. Low-flow rivers are acting more like
lakes.

While that stretch of the Columbia is normally fast-flowing, the river
and its tributaries are dammed from northern Washington, clear to
Bonneville.

“The Columbia is a different beast,” McCabe says. “It’s a very regulated
river.”

*So what are Cyanotoxins?*
Cyanotoxins are created by cyanobacteria, formally known as blue-green
algae. It’s the goopy scum by the river or lake shore that comes in all
sorts of colors.

Rick Dawson, an investigator and manager with the Benton-Franklin Health
District, says sometimes it looks like paint has been drizzled in a lake
or pond.

When a toxic algae blooms, it can create a toxin that kills pets, fish,
wildlife, and sickens adults and children. Animals and people might even
be able to breathe in the toxins — that’s under study.

“An animal is more likely to drink in a green slimy puddle, or a pond,
or a contaminated source than a human would,” says Raelynn Farnsworth,
interim director of Washington State University’s Veterinary Teaching
Hospital. “It really depends on the exposure, what kind of toxin has
been produced, but we don’t know that by looking visually. If you see a
grossly contaminated pond, don’t let them [pets] go there.”

Farnsworth also says that the problem can be devastating because it’s so
quick — sometimes there’s no time to administer activated charcoal and
supportive care.

“The faster they get them to the vet the better we are,” she says. “But
if they’ve [pets] already ingested it [toxins] and it’s already absorbed
there’s not much we can do.”

Algae toxins aren’t regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency for
drinking water. Algae blooms are getting more common, which means cities
like Salem, Oregon, and Northwest states must come up to speed quickly
to control the substance in their drinking water sources.

Toxic algae blooms are mainly a problem from mid-July through October,
when the sunlight increases, the waters warm and nutrients are available.

As the climate continues to warm, the Northwest will likely see lower
snowpack levels, more hot dry springs and summers and more toxic algae
blooms in warmer waters.

“There just isn’t enough staffing to deal with it,” says Joan Hardy, a
toxicologist with the Washington State Department of Health. “Some local
health jurisdictions are running on a thread — and they also have COVID
to deal with — they just need some funding to deal with these blooms.”
*
**Dead bats, fish and cattle*
Bats and perch have shown up dead at Pass Lake, near Deception Pass. The
lake also had very high readings of Anatoxin-a, a nerve toxin. And the
bats showed signs of the same toxins in their bodies when they were
examined and tested by state officials.

In southern Washington, the state Department of Agriculture and Oregon
State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine have been looking into
a half-dozen cattle that died recently in Wahkiakum County. The county
borders the Columbia River. But it’s so-far unclear if the animals died
from a toxic algae exposure.

“We [WSDA] were pulled in until it was determined not to be associated
with a livestock disease,” Hector Castro, with Washington State’s
Department of Agriculture said in a text.

Signs along the Columbia River shore in the Tri-Cities had been few and
far between. Benton-Franklin Health District officials were mainly
focusing on high-use areas and boat launches, but there were no signs
yet in Spanish, Russian, German or other languages frequently heard near
the river shore. And despite one sign attached low on a park bench near
the City of Richland’s swim beach in north Richland, many swimmers with
small children questioned there, were unaware there was any potential
problem.

However, the state legislature and state Department of Health have
funding to develop, print and distribute new signs across Washington to
warn of toxic algae. Hardy says some 1,700 signs have been printed up
and are being dispersed now across the state for use on bloom events.

*How to stay safe*
A common refrain with regard to toxic algae is: “When in doubt, stay out.”

Officials advise people to carefully inspect any water source they’re
about to fish in, play near or enter. Even then, toxins can hide,
collect in only one side of a water body or be hidden in sneaky algae
mats under the surface.

In the Benton-Franklin press release officials warn that fish can
accumulate toxin in their bodies — especially in their organs. Officials
advise caution when eating fish caught near this bloom on the Columbia
River.

Dog owners are encouraged to bring their own water sources for their
animals to drink when hiking or hunting. Dogs can also lick toxins off
their fur. And people should shower after swimming in a lake, stream,
pond — as some compounds can cause a rash on skin. Small children and
pets are especially vulnerable because they have lower body weights.

Erin Dickey wishes they’d known all that before last weekend so they
could have protected their family’s small dog Charlie. She’s just
thankful that the weather was cool the day of their tragic boating
adventure and her two small children only played on the Columbia River sand.

“We have spent so many years going out on the Columbia River, to have
our dog die on one of our outings, it just makes me really sad,” says
Dickey. “The river is like my dad’s church, that’s where he goes for
solace and recreation — to have that be the source of the tragedy is
just really sad.”
https://www.opb.org/article/2021/09/17/six-dogs-sickened-or-dead-near-the-tri-cities-all-thought-to-have-recent-contact-with-columbia-river/

- -

/[Caveat - it may not be caused by global warming]/
*Climate change isn’t fueling algal blooms the way we think, study shows*
by Elizabeth Claire Alberts on 15 June 2021
-- A team of international researchers recently published the first
global assessment of harmful algal blooms (HABs) — events in which toxic
algae proliferate and cause harm to marine life and humans — based on
nearly 10,000 recorded events between 1985 and 2018.
-- The study found that there are no global trends that would suggest
that climate change is having a uniform impact on HABs throughout the
world, although this is a commonly held belief.
-- The researchers were able to detect clearer regional trends that
showed increases, decreases or no significant changes in HABs in certain
parts of the world.
It also found that there was a perceived increase in HABs amid the
booming aquaculture industry, although the study does not necessarily
suggest that aquaculture is causing an increase in HABs.
- -
This red tide was one of thousands of harmful algal blooms (HABs) that
occurred in the world’s oceans in the past 35 years. HABs tend to be an
issue of concern because of the way they kill off marine life,
contaminate seafood, and wreak havoc on local economies. While some HABs
are known to occur naturally, others are thought to be triggered by an
overabundance of nutrients spilling into the ocean from farms and
residential land. Some experts also say that climate change is, and will
continue, to make algal blooms even worse.

But according to the authors of a new study published in Nature
Communications Earth and Environment, there are no global trends that
would suggest that climate change is having a uniform impact on HABs
throughout the world.

“If we could have said that there is a clear global trend and it’s
increasing everywhere, that would have been a real easy one to
communicate,” study co-author Henrik Enevoldsen of the UNESCO
Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) Science and
Communication Centre on Harmful Algae, told Mongabay. “But what we have
learned is that which we knew basically — that it’s a very complex story.”

https://news.mongabay.com/2021/06/climate-change-isnt-fueling-algal-blooms-the-way-we-think-study-shows/

- -

/[Maybe it is causative]/
*Toxic Algal Blooms Are Worsening with Climate Change*
Researchers use remote sensing technology to carry out a global survey
of large freshwater lakes.
By Kate Wheeling  13 November 2019

Every summer, vast blooms of harmful algae erupt in freshwater lakes
across the United States. This year, blue-green mats of algae blanketed
more than 1,500 square kilometers of Lake Erie’s surface by August;
toxic algae forced officials to close New Jersey’s largest lake to
recreational activities, and officials in North Carolina and Georgia
warned dog owners to keep their pets out of the water after at least
four dogs died after swimming in contaminated water.

Although these harmful algal blooms are not new to freshwater lakes,
they do appear to be getting worse. But researchers weren’t certain
whether freshwater blooms are actually intensifying or scientists are
just paying closer attention. At the first U.S. Symposium on Harmful
Algae in 2000, for example, marine blooms dominated the agenda; now,
nearly half of the talks at the conference relate to freshwater blooms.

A new study that looked back at 3 decades of satellite data finds that
these summertime algal blooms are indeed worsening in large freshwater
lakes around the world—and that climate change may be undercutting
efforts to combat the problem.
“For the last 1 or 2 decades, we’ve made a tremendous amount of progress
in terms of understanding the links between climate and water
quantity—things like drought and flooding and extreme rainfall,” said
Anna Michalak, a researcher at the Carnegie Institution for Science and
a coauthor on the new study. “But there’s been much less work related to
climate and water quality.”

Part of the problem, according to Michalak, is a dearth of data on water
quality compared to quantity. It’s easier to tease out the relationship
between climate and water quantity, given that temperature and
precipitation records go back more than a century in many parts of the
world. But data on water quality, where they exist at all, tend to be
regional and short term.

In the new study published in Nature, Michalak and her colleagues sought
to fill in some of the gaps in observations with nearly 30 years of
satellite data. The team looked at images of 71 large lakes across 33
countries, collected between 1984 and 2012 by the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration’s Landsat 5 satellite, and used an algorithm
to detect peak summertime bloom intensity in each of the lakes.

“In the vast majority of the lakes we looked at here, we don’t have the
luxury of decades of water samples,” Michalak said, “but what we were
able to do is to use historical satellite data to at least get a first
glimpse of what has been going on in these lakes.”

Bloom intensity increased in more than two thirds of the lakes, the
study finds, a trend that held across differing regions and across lakes
of varying sizes and depths.

Experts cautioned that the study’s threshold for statistical
significance was 0.1, which means there is a 10% chance the trend could
be due to random chance. But the research helps scientists begin to
confirm what they have long believed about the relationship between
climate change and water quality, with important implications for
resource managers going forward, said Hans Paerl, a professor of marine
science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill who was not
involved in the study.

*A Legacy of Nutrient Loading*
Researchers have many theories about why harmful algal blooms are
worsening in lakes and along coastlines, from rising water temperatures
to extreme rainfall to an overabundance of nutrients from agricultural
runoff and fertilizers. Michalak’s team wanted to see which of these
factors might best explain the trend across the globe, but it turns out
that no single factor was driving the problem across all the lakes.

“Lo and behold, different lakes are different,” Michalak said. “There
isn’t a single main problem, and therefore, there isn’t a single main
solution.”

That makes sense in light of what we know about the organisms driving
these blooms, said Tim Davis, a professor at Bowling Green State
University who was not involved in the study. “There are many different
types of cyanobacteria that cause these blooms to occur,” he said. “Each
one has a different life strategy; their ecology is different.”

If any single environmental factor were driving blooms around the globe,
“that would actually be more shocking,” Davis said.
For Paerl, the finding drives home the fact that fertilizer application
is only part of the story of eutrophication in lakes. Even as the
agriculture industry works to reduce its use of fertilizer, more
frequent and intense precipitation events—like the hurricanes that
flooded hog waste lagoons in North Carolina last year—may be carrying
more soil and nutrients into lakes. “Those events, they can be real
gully washers, so to speak, and put a lot of nutrients into a receiving
water body quickly,” Paerl said, “and whether or not fertilizers are
used may or may not be relevant.”
And after decades of excessive nutrient loading, lakes may have a
stockpile of nutrients that can support algal blooms even as we reduce
inputs, Paerl said. “We’ve had at least 50 or more years of excessive
nutrient loading in these lakes,” he said. “There is a legacy of
nutrient loading in many of these lakes, and that legacy continues to
haunt us.”

“What this shows us is that we really need to dive into each of these
systems and understand what are the combinations of environmental
factors driving the intensification in each one,” Davis said.

Michalak agrees, noting that this kind of satellite study is not a
substitute for more in depth studies of these lakes on the ground but a
reminder of their importance. “It’s the difference between looking at a
forest from space and walking through a forest in your back yard,” she
said. “You’re obviously going to have a better sense of what’s going on
in your particular forest if you actually walk through it yourself.”
Water quality management strategies need to be tailored to the local
environment, in other words.

*A Competitive Edge*
There was one consistent signal that emerged, however, which could make
managing these toxic blooms even more difficult: The lakes where algal
bloom intensity declined tended to have little or no warming. That’s
because cyanobacterial blooms don’t have as much of a competitive edge
in cooler lakes.

“Cyanobacteria grow quite well—better than almost everything else in
those freshwater systems—the hotter it gets,” said Don Anderson, a
senior scientist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution who was not
involved in the study. Unlike many of their competitors, cyanobacteria
can dial up or down their buoyancy to move throughout the water column,
heading to the lake bottom in search of nutrients or the surface in
search of light, where they form thick colonies that “shade out” the
competition below. The mats of cyanobacteria can even exacerbate warming
by absorbing more light, creating a feedback loop.
“Cyanobacteria have been around for about 2 billion years or even
longer. They’ve adapted to all the major climatic changes that have
occurred already on Earth,” Paerl said. “They’ve seen ice ages, they’ve
seen warming that’s even greater than we’re currently experiencing, so
their playbook is very deep.”
But this finding is particularly concerning for water managers because
it suggests that climate change could undercut even our best efforts to
improve water quality in some places. “Clearly and obviously, climate
change is not helping us,” Michalak said.

To slow down temperature increases in lakes, we need to target climate
change itself.

“The only way that I really see to deal with this kind of increase in
temperature, if you’re trying to go at that part of the problem, is huge
policy changes at the national and the global level. I mean, how else
can you cool down a lake, a big lake?” Anderson said. “You can’t do it.”

At the lake level, the study suggests that in this era of climate
change, we’ll have to make increasingly aggressive cuts to nutrient
inputs in lakes. As with climate change itself, the longer we put it
off, the more drastic our actions will need to be to see the benefits.
“The only knob we can really tweak to try to improve water quality
conditions in most cases is to reduce nutrient inputs,” Paerl said. “If
we would have gotten started on reducing nutrient inputs 50 years ago,
we’d be seeing some benefits even with increases in temperature and
climate change.”
—Kate Wheeling (@katewheeling), Freelance Writer
Citation: Wheeling, K. (2019), Toxic algal blooms are worsening with
climate change, Eos, 100, https://doi.org/10.1029/2019EO136398.
Published on 13 November 20

/[admit it,  you were afraid to even consider this question.  ]/
*Should the Climate Movement Embrace Sabotage?*
With David Remnick -- September 24, 2021
[audio  <iframe frameborder="0"
src="https://www.wnyc.org/widgets/ondemand_player/thenewyorker/?share=1#file=/audio/json/1133791/"
width="100%" height="54"></iframe> ]
Andreas Malm insists that the environmental movement rethink its roots
in nonviolence and instead embrace “intelligent sabotage.”
*How to Blow Up a Pipeline*
https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/the-new-yorker-radio-hour/should-the-climate-movement-embrace-sabotage

/[Plotting out the future ]/
*A detailed look at future warming and remaining carbon budgets in the
IPCC WG1 AR6 report*
Aug 24, 2021
Climate & Energy College
A/Prof Malte Meinshausen and Zebedee Nicholls, 24 August 2021.

The Physical Science (Working Group 1) contribution to the IPCC’s Sixth
Assessment Report was released on the 10th August 2021. This second of
two seminars takes a closer look at two key areas in the report: future
warming and remaining carbon budgets, presented by two authors that have
been closely involved in this IPCC cycle. It builds on the broader
overview provided by the first seminar. The seminar will present an
assessment of future warming under a selection of different scenarios.
We will discuss the assessments, their uncertainty and the methods used,
including key methodological advancements compared to previous IPCC
reports. To enhance the connection with other discussions on net zero,
we will also place the scenarios considered in the context of other
mitigation pathways from the scenario literature. We will also discuss
new estimates of our remaining carbon budget i.e. the total amount of
carbon dioxide we can emit before we cross a given temperature threshold
such as 1.5C or 2.0C. We compare the updated remaining carbon budget
estimates with previous estimates from the IPCC’s Special Report on 1.5C
(SR1.5) and the IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report (AR5) and dive into some
of the implications of the probabilistic language used for reporting
remaining carbon budgets. We also discuss the implications for policy,
particularly when we must reach net zero emissions in order to remain
within the budget.

This seminar is part of a series being hosted by the Climate and Energy
College in 2021 that is supported by the Strategic Partnership for
Implementation of the Paris Agreement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aalLJsalhQE

/[Inspiration, so take your camera outside today]/
*Incoming Storm  Landscape Photography during Monsoon Storms*
Sep 23, 2021
Nick Page
Myself, Sean Parker, and Michael Shainblum witness and photograph
beautiful storms rolling in upon a dry lakebed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR7k2XaCKLw

/[Spend money]/
*Is Keeping Your Old Car Better For The Environment?*
Sep 17, 2021
Engineering Explained

Is it better to buy a new efficient car, or keep your car that already
works?
Subscribe to Engineering Explained for more videos! - https://goo.gl/VZstk7
Recommended Books & Car Products - http://amzn.to/2BrekJm
EE Shirts! - bit.ly/2BHsiuo

Is it better for the environment to keep your car that already works,
thus not creating something new and using new resources, or to buy
something new that's more efficient? Gas cars require less emissions to
produce than electric cars, so out of the gate they're more
environmentally friendly. However, gasoline cars produce far more
emissions while in use, versus electric cars, so eventually the scales
tilt in favor of EVs. But is it within a meaningful amount of time, or
should we simply be preventing the creation of new waste, by keeping and
maintaining what we already have? And what about all of those metals
required for EV batteries? In this video we'll focus on both the
emissions and the resources, to determine if you should keep your used
car, or buy a new car, as it relates to going green.
https://youtu.be/L2IKCdnzl5k

/[The news archive - looking back]/
*On this day in the history of global warming September 26, 2004*

September 26, 2004: In an apparent attack on his own bosses at the Fox
News Channel, Bill O'Reilly tells CBS News's Mike Wallace:

"[The] government's gotta be proactive on [the] environment. Global
warming is here. All these idiots that run around and say it isn't
here? That's ridiculous!"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-oreilly-no-spin/
http://youtu.be/ZD39QY8ew3c

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry