[✔️] December 3, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Sat Dec 3 09:46:23 EST 2022

/*December 3, 2022*/

/[ We know the concept, just not the specifics ]/
*Climate change likely to bring more compound disasters*
Three consecutive La Nina events, or multiple droughts and heatwaves
likely to become more common.
3 December 2022 / Matthew Agius
- -
In the future, rising ocean levels projected with increasing global
temperatures will add another amplifier.

“A compound event is a natural disaster that’s caused by multiple
hazards,” Dr Nina Ridder, a climate scientist at the Centre of
Excellence for Climate Extremes (CLEX) at UNSW tells Cosmos.

“We see a lot with natural disasters that are caused by different
hazards that they have a much higher impact.

“Some of the biggest disasters that we’ve seen over the past few years
in Australia actually have multiple factors adding up together to cause
devastating impacts: impacts we haven’t seen on record like the [Black
Summer] bushfires and now floods in New South Wales.”...
- -
“If we want to change something, if we want to raise awareness, if we
want to spark a change in a system, we need to get attention first. And
I think, unfortunately, our society runs on money.”

The study of compound events is a bit like being a doctor for climate
Climate experts like Ridder and her CLEX colleagues are effectively
doctors for problems with the climate.

Like a GP, they assess a range of symptoms – events like floods or
fires, storm surges, rising oceans – and try to diagnose their impacts.

A paper published by Ridder this year in the journal Weather and Climate
Extremes uses specific models which perform “surprisingly well” at
predicting increases in wet and windy, and hot and dry events in
Australia...
he modelling anticipates Australia will find a significant shift towards
increasing hot and dry events in future years, amplified by growing
carbon concentrations in the atmosphere. Heatwaves and drought are
expected to coincide, while northern Australia is likely to see
increased risk of wind and rainfall extremes.

Ridder emphasises the predictive methods involved in climate analysis
are not infallible, but do show plausible scenarios for the future.

She’s hopeful that increasing understanding of compound events in the
scientific community will increasingly flow through to policymakers and
the public.

“Starting from the impact and working our way up will be way more useful
for the community, for Australia to prepare for future climate change,”
she says.

“I’m really happy that people are starting to take notice [of compound
events] and are interested in it.”
https://cosmosmagazine.com/earth/climate-change-likely-to-bring-more-compound-disasters/

/[ keep some money in the bank for a rainy day, and for a day of
combustion ] /
*Many states fail to adequately budget for wildfire costs, study says*
Courtney Flatt
NOV 30, 2022
Many states are failing to adequately budget for wildfire costs before,
during and after fires, according to a new report from The Pew
Charitable Trusts. This lack of proper budgeting can strain resources
and pull funds away from efforts to prevent and prepare for wildfires,
according to the report.

“As fires have grown, so have government spending on the costs
associated with them,” said Colin Foard, manager of the Fiscal
Federalism Initiative for The Pew Charitable Trusts, a non-profit
organization that analyzes public policy.

For example, in Washington, the state averaged $24 million annually for
wildfire suppression from 2010 to 2014. That spending more than tripled,
averaging $83 million from 2015 to 2019...
- -
“We just have to figure out how to scale up mitigation treatments to
match the new reality,” Foard said.

To do that, the report recommends lawmakers compare actual spending on
wildfire costs rather than estimating from historical records.

“States are regularly forced to supplement initial appropriations and
should therefore consider adjusting how they estimate that initial
number,” Foard said.

States also should invest as much funds as possible in wildfire
mitigation efforts, such as prescribed burns, forest thinning and
land-use planning, Foard said.
It’s important to make sure other fire spending needs don’t pull funds
away from consistent fire mitigation spending, he said.
https://kuow.org/stories/many-states-fail-to-adequately-budget-for-wildfire-costs-study-says

/[See the Pew fact sheet ]/
*How States Can Manage the Growing Price of Wildfires*
Key findings, recommendations from new report
FACT SHEET November 30, 2022
Overview
Wildfires in the United States have been getting bigger and more
frequent for decades, with a startling shift in recent years: In the
period from 2017 to 2021, the average annual acreage burned was 68%
larger than the annual average from 1983 to 2016.1 As fires have grown,
so has public spending on wildfire management: Combined funding from the
U.S. Department of the Interior and the U.S. Forest Service, two of the
federal agencies most involved in wildfires, nearly doubled from fiscal
year 2011 to 2020 (See Figure 1).2

Determining who is responsible—and who will foot the bill—for wildfire
management activities is complicated. States, localities, and the
federal government, as well as nongovernmental entities, are all
involved in preparing for, fighting, and recovering from fires, as well
as reducing the risk of future ones.

The Pew Charitable Trusts undertook a study to improve the available
data and understanding of the impact of wildfire spending on state
fiscal policy. The findings, along with recommendations for
policymakers, are available in the report, “Wildfires Burning Through
State Budgets.”

Pew’s research shows that in recent years, states’ estimates of wildfire
costs have often proved insufficient, forcing them to cover spending
using after-the-fact budgeting tools that can obscure the true cost of
wildfires. In addition, although investment in cost-saving mitigation
activities is growing, potential resources are still routinely diverted
to fire suppression, thereby limiting the potential benefits of
mitigation to communities, the environment, and state budgets. Based on
the study’s findings, Pew developed three recommendations:

Evaluate current budgeting practices to account for growing risk. By
comparing actual spending versus expected spending, assessing the threat
of future fires, and implementing other tools, state leaders can more
accurately understand how much to budget for wildfire management.
Maximize investments in evidence-based mitigation activities. Lawmakers
should ensure that the immediate need for suppression funding does not
directly compete with mitigation investments, which can help manage
wildfire costs in the long term. Additionally, lawmakers can help reduce
barriers states face when accessing and implementing federal mitigation
funds.

Explore opportunities to better track and share data on wildfire
spending. Wildfire spending data should be made more accessible,
transparent, and comprehensive across all levels of government. Better
data could help improve intergovernmental coordination and provide
policymakers with evidence they can use to more strategically allocate
resources.

As a critical piece of the complex intergovernmental system of wildfire
management, states have an opportunity to lead in efforts to improve
budgeting practices, manage costs through investment in mitigation, and
increase the availability of spending data.

FACT SHEET November 30, 2022
REPORT November 30, 2022
https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/fact-sheets/2022/11/how-states-can-manage-the-growing-price--of-wildfires

[ from grist  -- and the pen of Claire Elise Thompson]
*Laughter is the ultimate unifier. Can it work for climate action?*
Research shows that humor can help get climate messaging across.
Activists and comedians alike are starting to take notice.
Claire Elise Thompson
- -
Humor not only makes us feel good, it can help us process, relate to,
and retain information. Studies have shown that climate-related comedy
can help people feel more optimistic and more committed to taking
action. There’s even a study out there showing that exposure to climate
change memes increases people’s intention to engage with online climate
action...
- -
Environmentalists have long received criticism for being preachy or
taking themselves too seriously, in some cases becoming the butt of the
joke. (Al Gore being a perfect example.) And when a joke has a butt, it
can actually act as a social wedge, Yeo says, further consolidating
“in-groups” and “out-groups.” For instance, climate communication often
employs satire, but Yeo has found “that type of humor doesn’t appear, at
least from my research, to be particularly effective in reaching groups
that are outside of the sphere.” It may feel good to people in the know,
but she believes more benign forms of humor — things like wordplay or
anthropomorphism that don’t target anyone — have the potential to sway
more people who are not yet in the climate camp.
- -
https://grist.org/fix/arts-culture/humor-comedy-engages-people-climate-science/
- -

/[ Climate comic, a rare bread ]/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CfpZf6Qgrbo/

https://www.kashapatel.com/

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*December 3, 2009*/
December 3, 2009: MSNBC host Keith Olbermann calls out the hosts of the
Fox News Channel program "Fox and Friends" for selectively editing a
segment of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" to imply that host Jon
Stewart rejected the evidence of human-caused climate change.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/olbermann-names-fox-frien_n_380473

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli