[✔️] November 11, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Fri Nov 11 10:12:14 EST 2022

/*November 11, 2022*/

/[ Greta Tweeted ] /
Greta Thunberg
@GretaThunberg
*”Global Witness found more than 600 people at the talks in Egypt are
linked to fossil fuels.*
That's more than the combined delegations from the 10 most
climate-impacted countries.”

"If you want to address malaria, you don't invite the mosquitoes”
#COP27

- -

/[ Head counting of the Count Draculas in attendance ]/
*Over 100 more fossil fuel lobbyists than last year, flooding crucial
COP climate talks*
Nov 10, 2022
Researchers counted the number of individuals registered - either
directly affiliated with fossil fuel corporations, including the likes
of Shell, Chevron and BP; or attending as members of delegations that
act on behalf of the fossil fuel industry.

The analysis finds that oil and gas influence at COP is growing:

    - 636 fossil fuel lobbyists registered at COP27, an increase of over
    25% from COP26 held last year in Glasgow
    - More fossil fuel lobbyists than any single national delegation,
    besides the UAE who have registered 1,070 delegates compared to 176
    last year. 70 of their delegation this year are classed as fossil
    fuel lobbyists.
    - Despite being the “African COP” there are more fossil fuel
    lobbyists registered than any national delegation from the African
    continent.
    - 29 countries in total have fossil fuel lobbyists within their
    national delegations. After the UAE, Russia has the second most with
    33.
    - There are more fossil fuel lobbyists registered than
    representatives of the ten countries most impacted by climate change
    according to GermanWatch (Puerto Rico, Myanmar, Haiti, Philippines,
    Mozambique, The Bahamas, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Thailand, Nepal)

It comes as Global South activists, indigenous communities and others
who are disproportionately bearing the brunt of the climate crisis have
effectively been shut out of the talks by high costs, visa challenges,
and repressive actions by the hosting country.

“Tobacco lobbyists wouldn’t be welcome at health conferences, arms
dealers can’t promote their trade at peace conventions. Those
perpetuating the world's fossil fuel addiction should not be allowed
through the doors of a climate conference. It’s time governments got out
of the pockets of polluters, come to their senses and help make COP27
the success the world vitally needs it to be.”
The presence of lobbyists at COP does not end with the fossil fuel
industry. Other polluting industries deeply implicated in the climate
crisis, such as finance, agribusiness, and transportation are also
present, although they are not included in this particular analysis.
- -
This is the second year running the organisations have conducted this
analysis, last year finding that there were 503 fossil fuel lobbyists
registered in Glasgow.
https://www.globalwitness.org/en/press-releases/over-100-more-fossil-fuel-lobbyists-last-year-flooding-crucial-cop-climate-talks/

- -

/[ read it from the source ]/
*636 fossil fuel lobbyists granted access to COP27*
Nov 10, 2022
*List of all the fossil fuel lobbyists we identified, including what
delegation they attended as part of --*
https://www.globalwitness.org/en/campaigns/fossil-gas/636-fossil-fuel-lobbyists-granted-access-cop27/

- -

/[ just one of the live discussions at COP 27]/
*The ‘Country of Permafrost’ is the Major Emitter Missing from COP*
International Cryosphere Climate Initiative
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2xBTieQlZo

/[ Planet Critical offers deep discussions - video ]/
*Crisis Policies: What We Need From COP27 | Laurie Laybourn*
Planet: Critical
Nov 9, 2022
Laurie Laybourn is a policy researcher and author. He leads Cohort 2040,
which explores how to deepen rapid action toward a more sustainable and
equitable world even as the effects of the environmental crisis get far
worse. Laurie is a visiting fellow at Chatham House and at the Global
Systems Institute, University of Exeter, as well as an associate fellow
at the Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR). He is a regular
commentator on TV and radio and co-author of Planet on Fire (Verso 2021).

We discuss the opportunity in crisis moments throughout history, with
Laurie revealing the best policies for navigating the climate crisis,
nationally and internationally, as well as those for a sustainable
future. He also explains how the our current fiscal ideologies,
including our relationship to debt, impedes necessary climate action
around the world whilst hobbling the global south’s capacity to respond
to increasing catastrophes. Laurie says the climate crisis is a fiscal
problem—could reimagining fiscal policies keep 1.5 alive?
Discover Laurie's work: https://laurielaybourn.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou89vunM0-4

/[ NYTimes published opinion from the top climate journalist - text clips ]/
*David Wallace-Wells*
NOVEMBER 10, 2022
Our carbon budget is running out quickly
By David Wallace-Wells
- -
This week in Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt, delegates reconvened for COP27,
this year’s conference, amid a flurry of confident assertions that the
same goal — which has energized and mobilized a global generation of
activists and provides the conventional standard for judging progress on
emissions — was now dead...
- -
“Say goodbye to 1.5° C,” The Economist intoned on a cover this month, in
an edition that called climate adaptation “the challenge of our age” and
also raised the specter of cooling the planet with geoengineering. With
an image of the flooded Cologne Cathedral — repurposed from a 1986 issue
warning of a coming “Klima-Katastrophe” — the November cover of Der
Spiegel announced that the target would be missed and advised, grimly:
“Save yourself, those who can.” The United Nations secretary general
António Guterres, who has spent the last few years raising the
rhetorical stakes, declared on Monday that “we are on a highway to
climate hell with our foot still on the accelerator.”

This kind of rhetoric, designed to focus attention and clarify the
stakes of inaction, can also make things murky. What is the line between
climate danger and climate disaster? Or between climate normal and
climate disruption, and climate catastrophe and climate apocalypse? Is
“climate hell” what awaits us past 1.5 degrees, or past two degrees, or
at the level the U.N. expects the world’s current policy commitments to
take us this century, 2.6 degrees?

The language is useful as a reminder of the grim impacts to come, but
less so as a measure of progress — how much has been done, how far short
we are falling, and how much faster we might have to move to actually
reach our temperature targets. For that, we have a much more coldhearted
standard: the carbon math, which tells us how much the world is
emitting, how much more it can produce while retaining a decent chance
of a particular temperature threshold and, therefore, how plausible or
implausible each threshold really is...
- -
And while cutting emissions more aggressively now would mean more time
to ultimately get all the way to zero emissions, what that requires in
the short term already looks daunting.

For a 66 percent chance of limiting warming to two degrees there is a
longer timeline than for the 1.5 target, but not much longer — that full
carbon budget would be exhausted in 26 years of current emissions. From
now, emissions would have to drop globally by 5 percent every year,
still a much faster drop than has ever been engineered globally in any
year by anything but the Covid-19 pandemic. This is why the climate
scientist Glen Peters often says, cheekily, that 1.5 degrees may be
impossible and two degrees only extremely hard, with 2.5 degrees,
relatively speaking, “a walk in the park.”

When you look at charts plotting climate promises made by the nations of
the world, they tell a relatively reassuring story, with Climate Action
Tracker’s analysis suggesting that, if fully implemented, those promises
could deliver a global temperature rise below two degrees, with a
central estimate landing at 1.8 degrees.

But those headline promises paper over an enormous amount of sketchy
accounting. A separate Climate Action Tracker analysis of 37 countries
and the European Union, which account for the vast majority of world
emissions combined, finds that none has a climate policy even
“compatible” with a 1.5-degree goal. According to the Land Gap report
released Nov. 1, global climate pledges by countries require
reforestation and other sequestration measures taking up more land than
the entire United States — indeed, require using as much land to
sequester carbon as is used to produce all the world’s croplands today.
The world’s governments are planning twice as much fossil fuel
development as would be consistent with 1.5-degree goals, and 93 percent
of corporations with net-zero pledges are off track to meet them.

For decades, those worrying about the geopolitics of climate change
would often drift into debates about possible enforcement mechanisms,
worrying that nations would be simply unwilling to move on their own.
The world has changed more recently, with a moralistic model of
decarbonization as a necessary burden giving way to a green energy arms
race defined by new competition and rivalry. Even so, ambition is
woefully lagging, and in a world full of climate promises without any
meaningful leadership for carbon-based sanctions, enforcement looks less
like planetary governance forcing countries and corporations to move
faster than like finding ways to hold them to their own promises.

That is the premise of a report delivered to the secretary general in
Egypt this week that pointed squarely at the problem of climate
hypocrisy — and the delusion that promises and good intentions could
substitute for good math.

The greenwashing report, focused on private sector pledges, outlines 10
gold standards, including that companies should not be able to describe
themselves as “net-zero-aligned” while continuing to invest in fossil
fuels of any kind, buy cheap carbon credits that don’t stand up to
independent scrutiny, only reduce the intensity of their work and not
the absolute emissions produced by it, and lobby against climate action
or participate only in voluntary disclosure protocols rather than more
transparent regulatory frameworks.

“You walk down the street and we have oil and gas companies saying,
guess what, we’re net zero, we’re carbon neutral, whatever,” said
Catherine McKenna, the former environment minister of Canada and current
chair of the group that wrote the report. “The problem is everyone’s
making announcements, there’s billboards, there’s all these things out
there. And if you’re a regular person, you’re like: I don’t know, is
that true or not?”

Whether the United Nations builds a true oversight program for net-zero
pledges, as is called for in the report, is an open question, but,
McKenna said, “we do need to move to a more rigorous structure for sure.”

“And that goes for governments too,” she went on. “They need to actually
not just have targets. They need to actually be having policies that are
going to help them reach those targets. And then they’re gonna have to
be more ambitious,” she said. “You have to be more ambitious.”

https://messaging-custom-newsletters.nytimes.com/template/oakv2?campaign_id=253&emc=edit_dww_20221110&instance_id=77188&nl=david-wallace-wells&productCode=DWW&regi_id=88317039&segment_id=112774&te=1&uri=nyt%3A%2F%2Fnewsletter%2F1fcc8a2a-2e7c-536f-b435-c947abd89c32&user_id=92d43392605ea6bb4bdc7142e9488efb

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*November 11, 2014*/
November 11, 2014:
The New York Times reports:

    "Denmark, a tiny country on the northern fringe of Europe, is
    pursuing the world’s most ambitious policy against climate change.
    It aims to end the burning of fossil fuels in any form by 2050 — not
    just in electricity production, as some other countries hope to do,
    but in transportation as well."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/11/science/earth/denmark-aims-for-100-percent-renewable-energy.html?mwrsm=Email

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*