[✔️] November 12, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Sat Nov 12 08:12:50 EST 2022

/*November12 , 2022*/

/[ NYTimes showcases it photography - click to see  ]
/*Ocean-Eaten Islands, Fire-Scarred Forests: Our Changing World in Pictures*
By The New York Times
Nov. 8, 2022
Climate change does not lend itself to easy documentation.
Like nature itself, it can move slowly. Change can come in increments,
and it is not always clear what to make of it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/08/world/climate-change-global-photos.html

/[  President spoke at COP27 ]/
*Biden COP27 Pledges Called a 'Band-Aid on Damage That Threatens Our
Collective Future'*
"If President Biden is serious about the U.S. doing its part to 'avert
climate hell,' he would deliver a plan to end the era of fossil fuels,"
said one campaigner.
BRETT WILKINS
November 11, 2022
Campaigners pushed back Friday after U.S. President Joe Biden touted his
administration's "bold agenda" to tackle the climate emergency during a
speech at the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Egypt.

"Disturbingly, Biden was silent on loss and damage, the most critical
issue at COP27."
Addressing COP27 attendees at the Tonino Lamborghini International
Convention Center Sharm el-Sheikh, Biden asserted that his
administration is "meeting the climate crisis with urgency and
determination" in service of "a cleaner, healthier, and safer planet for
us all."

"We're racing forward to do our part to prevent climate hell," the
president of the world's second-worst greenhouse gas emitter claimed.
"We're not ignoring harbingers that are already here."

As Common Dreams reported earlier Friday, green groups welcomed Biden's
announcement of stronger regulations, meant to curb methane pollution
resulting from oil and gas production. However, activists stressed that
the president must do substantially more to combat the planetary emergency.

"If President Biden is serious about the U.S. doing its part to 'avert
climate hell,' he would deliver a plan to end the era of fossil fuels,"
Greenpeace USA chief program officer Tefere Gebre said in a statement.
"The Biden administration has failed to deliver on their commitment to
phase out oil and gas lease sales on public lands and water and instead
continues to sacrifice the health and safety of frontline communities.
The commitments made today are a Band-Aid on damage that threatens our
collective future."...
--
"Achieving any sort of climate justice requires the United States and
the world's biggest polluters to kickstart the phaseout of fossil fuels

- -

/[ This is an important summary of the science - See COP27 content
directly https://www.youtube.com/c/IPCCGeneva ] /
*Estimating GHG Emissions - Reconciling Different Approaches*
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3bvfZF2NJc

[ GlobalChange.gov ]
*Call for Public Comment: Fifth National Climate Assessment*
Posted Nov 7, 2022
Open Notice
A draft version of the Fifth National Climate Assessment (NCA5) is now
available for a 12-week public review and comment period.
People who wish to review and comment on the draft report can do so via
the USGCRP Review and Comment System (registration required).
Instructions for comment submission are available on that site and in
this brief recording(link is external) and user guide (en español).

In addition to this public comment period, NCA5 is being reviewed by a
committee of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and
Medicine. All of the feedback received through these reviews will be
considered by the chapter authors for future drafts of the assessment.
The final version of NCA5 is expected to be released in late 2023.

This review is free and open to everyone. Please note that this is a
draft document and it should not be cited, quoted, or distributed for
purposes beyond this review.

All comments must be submitted by 11:59 PM ET on January 27, 2023 via
the USGCRP Review and Comment System.

Informational Webinars
USGCRP is hosting two free webinars for people interested in learning
more about NCA5, the importance of public participation, and how to
submit comments on the draft report. No registration is required.

November 29, 2022 | 12:00–1:00 PM ET
To join online:
https://primetime.bluejeans.com/a2m/live-event/wtqggbzd(link is external)
To join by phone:
Call-in number: +1 (415) 466-7000 (US)
Participant PIN: 3022421 followed by #

December 1, 2022 | 5:00–6:00 PM ET
To join online:
https://primetime.bluejeans.com/a2m/live-event/aaxbpfdj(link is external)
To join by phone:
Call-in number: +1 (415) 466-7000 (US)
Participant PIN: 8533482 followed by #
https://www.globalchange.gov/content/call-public-comment-fifth-national-climate-assessment

/[ nation of Saint-Louis - SPECIAL SERIES - Climate, migration and the
far-right -- click to hear the 11 min audio ]/
*Saint-Louis is being swallowed by the sea. Residents are bracing for a
new reality*
November 11, 2022
Heard on All Things Considered
"God has pushed the sea up to our houses," says Mamadou Thiam. "Climate
change destroyed many houses."

Thiam is one of thousands who now live in an internally-displaced people
(IDP) camp in Saint-Louis, Senegal after they were forced to leave their
homes on the coast because of climate-induced erosion.

The problem is as simple as it is devastating: the Atlantic Ocean is
expanding into Senegal, and Saint-Louis is ground zero. Every year, a
little bit more land is lost to the sea.

High tides and strong currents tore down walls and rendered Thiam's home
unlivable. Life in the IDP camp is his new reality, and experts warn it
could be the future of tens of thousands of other people in Saint-Louis.

Listen to our full report by clicking or tapping the play [link] above.
https://www.npr.org/2022/11/11/1134820182/climate-change-migration-coast-saint-louis-senegal

[ From the Hollywood Reporter -- text and video ]
*Rainn Wilson Changes Name to Rainnfall Heat Wave Extreme Winter Wilson
For Melting Arctic | THR News*
The Hollywood Reporter
Nov 10, 2022
Ahead of the COP27 summit, the star of ‘The Office’ has changed his name
to bring attention to the climate crisis."  which amplifies global
risks, including extreme weather events around the globe."
Rainn Wilson has — unofficially, at least — changed his name to help
raise awareness about the environmental crisis and fallout from the
rapidly warming Arctic region.

With the COP27 summit kicking off in Egypt this week, the Office star
has said he will now be known as Rainnfall Heat Wave Extreme Winter Wilson.

“With the help of my scientist friends at Arctic Basecamp, I’ve changed
my name to Rainnfall Heat Wave Extreme Winter Wilson. This is not a
joke, I’m as serious as the melting Arctic, which amplifies global risks
including extreme weather events around the globe,” said Wilson...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHnVwGjT53c
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/rainn-wilson-changes-name-arctic-cop27-1235259244/

/[ Classic from this year in March  -- an important issue - (although it
could be cementing history)  video ]/
*Can The News Be Fixed? An Interview With Disney's Bob Iger | The
Problem With Jon Stewart*

The Problem With Jon Stewart
  Mar 17, 2022
The Problem With Jon Stewart is now streaming on Apple TV+
https://theproblem.link/MediaEpisode

Jon sits down with former Disney CEO and Chairman Bob Iger, who oversaw
ABC news, to see if there’s a better way to do TV reporting. Does news
have to be so hyped up? Is there a version that can cut through the
noise and still be profitable? Do all these questions make this read
like a teaser for nightly news? More at 11...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C79xxjdXsE&

- -

/[ Insight into what our modern media is doing ]/
*Where Does Mainstream Media Go Wrong? | The Problem With Jon Stewart |
Apple TV+*
The Problem With Jon Stewart
Mar 18, 2022
The Problem With Jon Stewart is now streaming on Apple TV+
https://theproblem.link/MediaEpisode

One side of the media believes they deliver truth and justice, and the
other side is effective. Jon looks at the difference between right-wing
and “mainstream media,” and why the stories the news often covers isn't
really news at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzeoe4m1t9Q&

/[ understanding climate disinformation via video sarcasm ]/
*The World Is Ending, So… Recycle? | The Problem With Jon Stewart |
Apple TV+*
The Problem With Jon Stewart
Mar 11, 2022
Watch now on Apple TV+:
https://theproblem.link/ClimateEpisode

The Problem with Humans, now streaming on Apple TV+, delves into why the
Earth’s climate is changing and why we’re not fixing it fast enough.
Turns out, humans may not be prepared to meet the moment. Don’t worry,
only one bird was hurt in the making of this monologue.

The Problem With Jon Stewart is now streaming on Apple TV+
https://theproblem.link/AppleTV

Listen to The Problem With Jon Stewart podcast on Apple Podcasts, where
available.
https://theproblem.link/ApplePodcast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmCDe_joBlA

/[The news archive - looking back at invisible power ]/
/*November 12, */
November 12, 2012: Powerful conservative activist Grover Norquist is
quoted in the National Journal as saying that a federal revenue-neutral
carbon tax would not violate the Republican Party's "no new taxes"
position. After being viciously criticized by representatives from Koch
Industries, Norquist abruptly flip-flops.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/11/13/1182511/grover-norquist-abruptly-reverses-position-on-carbon-tax-after-facing-criticism-from-koch-backed-group/

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*