[✔️] November 27, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Sun Nov 27 11:27:36 EST 2022

/*November 27, 2022*/

/[  " have a heart, do the math" sample testimony before attendees
video report from a young jounalist ]/
*COP27 Week 2 Recap: Did anything get done?*
Beckisphere Climate Corner
168 views  Nov 24, 2022
If you like the work I do, please consider joining the Beckisphere
Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/beckisphere or buying me a cup of
coffee at https://www.buymeacoffee.com/beckisphere. Remember to talk
about the climate crisis every day and support your local news
organizations!
Source list-
https://heavenly-sceptre-002.notion.site/COP-27-Week-2-aebc7cc0bbab4824b9415e622a251ef4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOmzB5KbVOk

/[ from Aljazeera  - text and audio ]/
*A radical antidote to climate despair*
In a burning world, How To Blow Up a Pipeline argues peaceful protest is
not enough.
Fossil fuels are a time bomb, and humans are entitled to stop them. That
is the argument of How to Blow Up a Pipeline, a book by Andreas Malm
calling for activist groups like Just Stop Oil and Extinction Rebellion
to adopt radical tactics against the fossil fuel industry, including
property damage. As COP27 enters its second week, greenwashing is rife,
protest is limited, and fossil fuel emissions are still rising. After
over a quarter-century of UN-sponsored talking, Malm argues it is time
for people to take action into their own hands...
In this episode:  Andreas Malm, author of How to Blow Up a Pipeline and
professor at Lund University...

    Halla Mohieddeen: Let’s cut to the chase then. Your book is called
    How to Blow Up a Pipeline. What is it about? I mean, is it an
    instruction manual?

    Andreas Malm: No, it’s not, and that’s probably the most common
    criticism I’ve received. It doesn’t actually teach us how to blow up
    a pipeline. No, the title is somewhat metaphorical and perhaps a
    little bit provocative. It’s about what tactics the climate movement
    should use, and if perhaps the time has come to consider more
    militant forms of action than what we’ve used so far, including
    sabotage and property destruction.

    Halla Mohieddeen: Well, before we talk about blowing up pipelines,
    let’s talk about COP. You protested at the very first COP back in
    1995. Fast forward to today, we are being told that we’re nowhere
    near where we need to be to avoid destruction on a scale humans have
    never known. Do you think these COPs are just a waste of time then?

    Andreas Malm: Well, yeah, that’s what they’ve been so far. That’s
    what they’ve proved to be, because emissions have just continued to
    rise and COPs have done nothing to limit them. So yes, it’s
    fundamentally a way to sustain an illusion, but it’s hard to
    envision any kind of agreement about this in another context in the
    United Nations. What needs to be changed fundamentally is the
    balance of forces worldwide, between the vested interests of
    business as usual and all of us who want to change this catastrophic
    trajectory that we’re on...
    - -
    Andreas Malm: The point is not so much to criticise what XR has
    done, but to question the doctrine that the only thing that the
    climate movement can ever do is absolutely peaceful civil
    disobedience. I am advocating for going beyond that, into destroying
    the machines that are destroying this planet, as a matter of self
    defence, and even more, defence of other people. I’m against any
    idea of the climate movement using violence against individuals –
    say, I don’t know, assassinating fossil fuel executives or something
    like that. And I don’t know anyone in the climate movement who is
    actually even considering that. The discussion is, should we
    diversify into targeting the machines, the dead things, the
    inanimate objects that are the cause of the destruction of this planet.

    Halla Mohieddeen: Well, we’ve also seen groups like Just Stop Oil in
    the UK take a step in that direction. They’re known right now for
    throwing various substances at different works of art, but earlier
    this year, they were also smashing petrol stations.

    Just Stop Oil protester: We went to petrol stations and smashed up
    petrol pumps and destroyed the machines that are destroying us.

    Halla Mohieddeen: Now, it is fair to say that that tactic hasn’t won
    them many fans among people you’d think they’d want to win over. So
    how are these tactics supposed to mobilise people and endear people
    to your cause?

    Andreas Malm: Well, I am sceptical, or I would even say I’m critical
    of the idea of throwing substances on works of art as a tactic for
    promoting the climate cause. Perhaps doing it once with that Van
    Gogh painting was a way of drawing attention to the cause of Just
    Stop Oil, and it did that pretty successfully. But if you
    continuously, repeatedly target something, you send the signal that
    you’re against that, as if the climate movement were against art...
    - -
    Halla Mohieddeen: Andreas, just as a final question, let’s say that
    you win us all over. You’re probably not wrong that the climate
    movement is going to get more radical the worse things get. Let’s
    say these tactics take off. How could sabotage ever be enough to
    force the level of action that needs to happen? What do you say to
    someone who’s maybe watching COP and just in despair, thinking that
    the climate’s too far gone and even this would never be enough?

    Andreas Malm: No, I don’t think it’s ever going to be enough.
    Sabotage on its own is not going to solve the climate problem. It
    needs to be one component in a repertoire of action that will have
    to include everything, from petitions, to court cases, to electoral
    campaigns, to lobbying, marching in the streets, still, occupying
    squares, but also a more militant confrontation with the order bent
    on burning our planet. If you sit and look at what’s happening at
    COP and you draw the conclusion that, okay, the world is doomed.
    We’re all just condemned to die very soon. I’m giving up on
    everything. Yeah, I would understand that reaction, but I think it’s
    a mistake. There is still a lot of damage to minimise and avoid. We
    can’t just give up on this planet while it all burns to the ground.
    I don’t think that’s a morally defensible position.

    Halla Mohieddeen: Do you have hope?

    Andreas Malm: Well, that depends on what you mean by hope. I’m not
    under any illusion that what we want and need is likely to happen,
    but you don’t become a political activist because you think that
    what you struggle for is likely. You throw yourself into struggle
    because you feel that the train is rushing towards the precipice and
    you need to stop it. In the end, catastrophic global heating is the
    likely outcome of current conditions in the world, but it’s not the
    only possible outcome. Which means that, yes, there is still hope
    that if we build up sufficient striking force, we can stop this
    train or jump off it in time.

https://www.aljazeera.com/podcasts/2022/11/14/a-radical-antidote-to-climate-despair

/[ DW documentary opinion video ]/
*The race for the Arctic is ramping up. Here’s why.*
DW Planet A
66,940 views  Nov 25, 2022
The ice in the arctic is melting, revealing huge amounts of fossil
fuels, rare earths and new shipping routes. And the rush to secure these
has already begun. Will countries continue their race for economic and
militaristic advantages or will they finally work together to solve the
global problem of climate change?

Credits
Reporter: Monika Sax
Video Editor: Markus Mörtz
Supervising Editor: Joanna Gottschalk, Kiyo Dörrer & Michael Trobridge

We're destroying our environment at an alarming rate. But it doesn't
need to be this way. Our channel explores the shift towards an
eco-friendly world — and challenges our ideas about what dealing with
climate change means. We look at the big and the small: What we can do
and how the system needs to change. Every Friday we'll take a truly
global look at how to get us out of this mess.

#PlanetA #Arctic #FossilFuels

Special thanks (for research support and background information):
The Arctic Council: https://www.arctic-council.org/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvRzWzQW2go/

/[ Step 1, buy land with water and sunshine, setup solar power and build
a cabin - add this do-it-yourself electric backup power after viewing
this educational, not instructional video.  Step 2..., Step 3, profit! ]/
*How to Power a 120V Offgrid Cabin with Bluetti or Ecoflow Delta 30A Plug*
DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse
10,715 views  Nov 26, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyKZwc_2RP0

/[ Trigger Warning -- This is dark, but worthy because of growing
attention to the works of umair haque [yes, that is his  name]-- Words
from May of this year, are difficult and insightful//opinion//s ]/
*The Age of Extinction Is Here — Some of Us Just Don’t Know It Yet*
We’re Crossing the Threshold of Survivability — And There’s No Going Back
umair haque
May 20

“Why do you think people are a little freaked out by what I’m talking
about these days?”

I was asking my kid sis. She laughed. “You’re basically telling them
it’s the end of the world?”

It was the night of the eclipse. A red moon illuminated the sky. 300,000
years had gone by since our kind walked the earth. And now it would
never be the same again.

Let me try and tell you how I’ve come to think of the Event, as I’ve
begun to call it. The Cataclysm. Extinction. A different earth.

*My friends in the Indian Subcontinent tell me stories, these days, that
seem like science fiction.* The heatwave there is pushing the boundaries
of survivability. My other sister says that in the old, beautiful city
of artists and poets, eagles are falling dead from the sky. They are
just dropping dead and landing on houses, monuments, shops. They can’t
fly anymore.

The streets, she says, are lined with dead things. Dogs. Cats. Cows.
Animals of all kinds are just there, dead. They’ve perished in the
killing heat. They can’t survive.

People, too, try to flee. They run indoors, spend all day in canals and
rivers and lakes, and those who can’t, too, line the streets, passed
out, pushed to the edge. They’re poor countries. We won’t know how many
this heatwave has killed for some time to come. Many won’t even be counted.

Think about all that for a moment. Really stop and think about it. Stop
the automatic motions of everyday life you go through and think about it.

*You see, my Western friends read stories like this, and then they go
back to obsessing over the Kardashians or Wonder Woman or Johnny Depp or
Batman. They don’t understand yet.* Because this is beyond the limits of
what homo sapiens can really comprehend, the Event. That world is coming
for them, too.

The analogy is often used to describe “climate change” of frogs in a
boiling pot. It’s useful, but only to a certain degree. When the pot
boils, they’re taken out and eaten. We were in a boiling pot, and now
we’re at the stage where we’re about to get taken out and eaten. This is
when things start to get really, really bad — really, really fast.

The way that I’ve come to think of the Event — a species that’s been
around for 300,000 years now having altered the climate in ways that
haven’t happened for millions of years, triggering an Extinction Event —
is this.

Imagine a black hole. Humanity’s lined up before it. Everyone has to
march through. Some are at the front of the line. They reach the other
side first. Some are at the back of the line. They’re still laughing and
joking and pretending, maybe. Nobody much hears from those who’ve gone
through, because, well, it’s a black hole. But on the other side,
nothing is ever to be the same again.

This is where we are now. We are at the threshold of the Cataclysm. Some
of us are now crossing over to the other side, of a different planet,
one that’s going to become unlivable. This isn’t “going to happen” or
“might happen,” it is actually happening now.

Those are my friends, for example, in the Indian Subcontinent, where
eagles are falling dead from the sky, where the streets are lined with
dead things.

Extinction. The Event. You can literally see it happening there.

They are the first ones through the Event Horizon, if you like — the lip
of the black hole. They are canaries in the coal mine, my Indian and
Pakistani and Bengali friends. They are on the other side, and are
experiencing the world in the Event. And that world is coming for us all.

*I don’t use the words “climate change” to describe any of this,
because, well, they’re inadequate. *The way that we tell that story has
led to a kind of shocking sense of apathy and ignorance about the
reality of what we face. People read the science, and think that if the
temperature rises by one degree, two, three, what’s the big deal? Ha ha!
Who cares? That’s not even a hot day? Wrong. A better way to tell that
story is something like this. On average, when the temperature rises one
degree, the seasons change by a factor of ten at equatorial regions. One
degree, one point five, which is where we are now — the summers are ten
to fifteen degrees Celsius hotter. Two degrees? Twenty. Three degrees?
Thirty.

We’re *heading* for three degrees.

It’s already 50 degrees Celsius in the Subcontinent. Spain is bracing
for an *extreme heatwave*, of about 40 degrees plus as is Europe, as is
much of America. That’s at one degree or so of global warming. At two
degrees? The Subcontinent hits 60 degrees Celsius. Spain and Europe hit
50. At three degrees? Equatorial regions hit 70 degrees Celsius or more.
Spain and Europe hit 60.

I’m sure that some will quibble with that interpretation, so go ahead
and adjust however you like. It doesn’t really matter. At 50 degrees,
which is where the Subcontinent is now, life dies off. The birds fall
from the sky. The streets become mass graves. People flee and try to
just survive. Energy grids begin to break. Economies grind to a halt.

/Extinction happens./

*This is the threshold. We are already hitting it. We can see it now in
startling, grim, vivid detail.* The Event is not some kind of
abstraction or prediction. Extinction is now really happening in plain
sight in places around the globe — and they are revealing to us the
limits of what our civilization can survive. That limit is hit somewhere
between 40 and 50 degrees. After that point, life as we know it comes to
an end.

My Western friends still don’t really grasp this at all. They imagine
that as the seasons get exponentially hotter, they can simply…turn up
the air conditioning. LOL. Sorry, it doesn’t work like that. Why not?
Not just because energy grids will fail, or even because at a certain
point even air conditioning just fails. It’s because of life.

*My Western friends don’t think these days. This fantasy of turning up
the air conditioning and sitting in your apartment or house? They ignore
the now obvious signs. *Birds falling from the sky, Dead things lining
the streets. What are you going to do, sit in your air conditioned home
while everything else goes extinct?

It doesn’t work like that. Those things, those beings — birds, cows,
sheep, chickens, whatever — they provide us with the basics, too. They
perish, we perish. Insects nourish our soil, birds eat insects, and on
and on. My Western friends don’t understand that we are part of systems.
Ecosystems, in this case. And as their foundations are ripped out, we
can scarcely survive. The idea that you can sit in your air conditioned
home in comfort while everything else goes extinct is a fantasy, a
delusion. What will you eat? Who will turn the soil? Who’ll keep the
crops healthy? Where will the basics of life come from?

*Our civilization collapses somewhere between fifty and sixty degrees
Celsius.* Bang, poof, gone. Nothing works after that point. Everything
begins to die — not just animals and us in the case, but our systems
which depend on them. Economics crater, inflation skyrockets, people
grow poorer, fascism erupts as a consequence. You can already see that
beginning to happen around the globe — but it’s just the beginning.
Imagine how much worse inflation’s going to get when Extinction really
begins to bite.

Everything fails at the threshold we are now reaching. Our civilization
doesn’t survive it. Democracy has its throat slit by fascism and
theocracy, as people, afraid, angry, desperate, turn to fundamentalist
religion or authoritarian brutality to give them answers — or just a
meal. Economies become mechanisms for basic survival, not opportunity or
prosperity. Society and community are destroyed by the bitter
every-man-for-himself quest for self-preservation. This is the world
we’re heading into, and you can see it now spreading, from America to
India to Europe and beyond.

*What happens in such a world? Do people pull together to save it?
Probably not. Inequality spirals even further — the rich finds ways to
monopolize what few resources are left and profiteer. *Covid gave us a
vivid example of that. Governments, paralyzed, are captured by fanatical
sects and factions, and nobody much arrives to help you when you need
it. Covid, again. Culture becomes a war, between those who think of
death, basically, as a good thing, a purification, and those who don’t.
Think of America’s bitter “culture wars.” What happens in such a world?
Society turns predatory, regressive, eats itself — which is what a
civilization collapsing is.

We are crossing the threshold now. Of Extinction. Of the Event. So far,
it’s been invisible to us, and we’ve been living in ignorant bliss. The
insects are dying off — who cares! Hey, did you see what Kim Kardashian
wore to the Met Gala? The fish are dying off — so what, LOL, bro, let’s
go watch a Marvel Movie!! The earth’s great systems are all reaching
tipping points — the Amazon, the boreal forests, the ocean currents, the
poles — of reinforcing a hotter and hotter planet. Dude, what’s your
problem? Tucker Carlson says we’re the master race!!

*We are crossing the threshold now. Extinction is visible*. The eagles
fall from the sky, taking their last breaths on the way down to a
burning planet. The streets are lined with death. We’re not frogs slowly
boiling in a pot anymore. We’re being taken out of the pot, and we’re
about to be eaten.

My Western friends are still in denial that any of this will happen to
them. Ignorance is bliss. This world is coming for us all. There is
going to be no escaping it. The ones in India and Pakistan and
Bangladesh and Sri Lanka are some of the first through the event
horizon. But we must all cross it, because, well, we’re all on this
planet. Extinction is something that happens to a planet.

*That doesn’t mean — my usual caveats — that everything dies off. *It
means it the way biologists use the term — a mass extinction, in which
many, many things do, and life resets itself, probably, in new ways.
After us, comes a new earth. 300,000 years of us — barely the blink of
an eye. Life will survive. But our civilization won’t. The Event — the
time in between civilizations — will be a dark age. You can see that
dark age falling now.

It’s in every bird falling from the sky, every animal dropping dead from
the heat, every democracy being shredded by lunatics, in all the deaths
we will never count. Our systems — all of them — economic, social,
political — are beginning to fail.

Because, my friends, this is Extinction.

Some us just don’t know it yet.
- -
Umair
May 2022
https://eand.co/the-age-of-extinction-is-here-some-of-us-just-dont-know-it-yet-7001f5e0c79a

- -

/[  need more? ]/
*If It Feels Like a New Dark Age Is Falling… That’s Because It Is*
Why We’re Entering a Dark Age Between Civilizations
umair haque
May 14
https://eand.co/if-it-feels-like-a-new-dark-age-is-falling-thats-because-it-is-458c7c9433b1

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*November 27, 2014*/
November 27, 2014:
The New York Times reports:

"President Obama could leave office with the most aggressive,
far-reaching environmental legacy of any occupant of the White House.
Yet it is very possible that not a single major environmental law will
have passed during his two terms in Washington.

"Instead, Mr. Obama has turned to the vast reach of the Clean Air Act of
1970, which some legal experts call the most powerful environmental law
in the world. Faced with a Congress that has shut down his attempts to
push through an environmental agenda, Mr. Obama is using the authority
of the act passed at the birth of the environmental movement to issue a
series of landmark regulations on air pollution, from soot to smog, to
mercury and planet-warming carbon dioxide."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/27/us/without-passing-a-single-law-obama-crafts-bold-enviornmental-policy.html?hpw&rref=politics&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*