[✔️] November 28, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Mon Nov 28 10:04:59 EST 2022

/*November 28 , 2022*/

/[ Tis the Season meets time to change ]/
*Christmas chaos in London as Just Stop Oil plan campaign targeting
major roads*
The Metropolitan Police has pledged to respond "quickly and effectively"
to any disruption by protestors, but it is feared Just Stop Oil
activists could affect millions of people as Londoners countdown to
Christmas.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1702280/christmas-just-stop-oil-london-met-police-rishi-sunak-latest-uk-news-ont

/[  Fragile and unbalanced financial,  "The system is going to crash,
again"  British insight and discussion - 25 min video ]/
*After THE OIL MACHINE: Ann Pettifor*
Sonja Henrici Creates
234 views  Nov 9, 2022
The issues raised in the film THE OIL MACHINE have become even more
urgent with recent upheavals in energy security, the cost of living, and
our climate. At the same time, the UK government is rushing to offer 100
new licences for North Sea oil and gas exploration. One year on from the
COP26 climate conference in Glasgow, we’re now going back to the film’s
contributors to ask them how recent global events have shaped the
ongoing debate about oil.
Here's our catch-up with Ann Pettifor, political economist and author of
The Case for the Green New Deal.
See our events and get involved at https://www.theoilmachine.org/
/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YoU8VQSOWY/

/[ "Targets are always still reachable, until they aren't" - video
opinion 12 mins ]/
*Are climate targets now pointless?*
Just Have a Think
15,202 views  Nov 27, 2022
"KEEP 1.5 ALIVE" has been the mantra of recent global climate
conferences. But more and more mainstream organisations now say our
politicians have already failed, and that average global temperature
increases higher than 1.5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels
are now inevitable. So, who are we to believe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pujOh4YaP7s

/[ Enjoyable Rap song about perceiving science -  video 6 mins. ]/
*This and That, a Song of Contradictory Logical Arguments - Philosophy
Rap | Nathan Dufour*
NATHANOLOGY
24,231 views  Premiered Jun 10, 2019
Subscribe for a little more of This and a little more of That. …A song
about logical contradictions and unexpected agreements that emerge in
common philosophical and political binary disagreements. Inspired by
Jeremy Barris’ Sometimes Always True: Undogmatic Pluralism in Politics,
Metaphysics, and Epistemology.
Song available for download here:
https://sirkn8theknightofthenew.bandcamp.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Rm1DsV7GM

/[ Neither optimist, nor pessimist, rather she is a realist.  19 min
video from Australian TV ]/
*Greta Thunberg says UN Climate Change Conference is a 'scam' | 7.30*
ABC News In-depth
47,809 views  Nov 3, 2022
Days out from this year's United Nations climate summit in Egypt,
activist Greta Thunberg has called for more ambitious cuts to global
emissions, while expressing scepticism that the summit will deliver
them. She's produced a new book aptly named "The Climate Book", which
expresses hope that there's still time to avert the worst of climate
change, despite the bleak predictions. In this extended interview she
speaks to 7.30's Sarah Ferguson from her home in Sweden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufERA6HzP6E

/[ Harsh reality spoken opinion - video ]/
*Why haven't we solved Climate Change (yet)?*
ClimateAdam
5,030 views  May 12, 2022
What will it take to stop global warming? And why haven't we done it
yet? From our brains to our economies, I break down some of the top
reasons for climate change inaction. And what we could do to break down
these road blocks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdSb1uDatzo

/[ Music //The New Yorker Interview //]/
*Neil Young Embraces Imperfection*
The singer-songwriter discusses his new album with the theme of climate
change, his friendship with Rick Rubin, and recording melodies on his
flip phone.
By Amanda Petrusich
November 27, 2022
Last week, Young released “World Record,” his forty-second studio LP,
and an album focussed almost exclusively on how to combat climate change...
- -
  I don’t like to dwell on it much, but I think everybody’s terrified...

    But they’re not terrified about politics. They’re terrified, period.
    Because of [climate change], and how we’re not dealing with it.
    You’ve got all those TV networks, warring personality against
    personality, building this side against that side, blowing
    everything up into the latest episode of whatever what’s-his-name is
    doing, how they almost did this to what’s-her-name’s husband. . . .
    Just on and on and on. The reason everybody’s so uptight about the
    things they’re talking about, in my view, has nothing to do with
    what they’re talking about. I think it has to do with what’s
    happening to the planet. That’s what I think. So that’s where I go.

    We haven’t quite realized that [climate change] doesn’t care. It’s a
    little bit like a virus. It doesn’t care. It has a thing that it
    does, and it’s doing it. This is not a sci-fi movie; this is real.
    Just because it’s science doesn’t mean that you can ignore it. But
    we compartmentalize it. We don’t look at the situation the way we
    should. I can envision the Chinese guy, the Russian guy, the
    American guy, the German lady, the leaders of all these countries,
    the guy from South America, all these people onstage together,
    talking, one by one, in their language, to the world, with subtitles
    underneath. We have to get to the point where we all come together,
    and we realize that we’re all on the same Earth, and there’s one way
    we can fix it. We need to grow food, and we need to grow fuel.
    Imagine if, instead of dust rising into the sky, the carbon started
    returning to the Earth. Animals on the ground, instead of being in
    little metal cages with antibiotics and fans, on top of each other
    so they can make it to the supermarket...

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/neil-young-embraces-imperfection

/[ Discussing the dark subjects in the Guardian ]/
*‘Extinction is on the table’: Jaron Lanier warns of tech’s existential
threat to humanity*
The American computer scientist, who coined the term ‘virtual reality,’
cautions against online ‘psychological operatives’
- -
The stakes are high. “I still think extinction is on the table as an
outcome. Not necessarily, but it’s a fundamental drama. If we can
coordinate ourselves to solve the climate crisis it’s a fundamental sign
we haven’t become completely dysfunctional,” he said

/And he’s been brutally clear about what he sees as the consequences of
over-dependence on social media: in essence, you’ll get both popular cat
videos and civil war./
- -
“Even people who are willing to cooperate may not be able to because
they’re not operating in an environment where they’re heard in the ways
they imagine. Right now we have no confidence that what we say will be
heard correctly,” he says.

That like goes for Lanier’s own thoughts too. Though, he fervently hopes
he is proved wrong.

“If you make a dismal prediction and it comes true, it means you’ve
failed to have utility. I don’t claim to have all the answers but I do
believe that our survival depends on modifying the internet – to create
a structure that is friendlier to human cognition and to the ways people
really are.”
- -
“Even people who are willing to cooperate may not be able to because
they’re not operating in an environment where they’re heard in the ways
they imagine. Right now we have no confidence that what we say will be
heard correctly,” he says.

That like goes for Lanier’s own thoughts too. Though, he fervently hopes
he is proved wrong.

“If you make a dismal prediction and it comes true, it means you’ve
failed to have utility. I don’t claim to have all the answers but I do
believe that our survival depends on modifying the internet – to create
a structure that is friendlier to human cognition and to the ways people
really are.”
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/27/jaron-lanier-tech-threat-humanity-twitter-social-media

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*November 28, 2014 */
November 28, 2014:
In the New York Times, Paul Krugman observes:

    "Of course, polluters will defend their right to pollute, but why
    can they count on Republican support? When and why did the
    Republican Party become the party of pollution?

    "For it wasn’t always thus. The Clean Air Act of 1970, the legal
    basis for the Obama administration’s environmental actions, passed
    the Senate on a bipartisan vote of 73 to 0, and was signed into law
    by Richard Nixon. (I’ve heard veterans of the E.P.A. describe the
    Nixon years as a golden age.) A major amendment of the law, which
    among other things made possible the cap-and-trade system that
    limits acid rain, was signed in 1990 by former President George H.W.
    Bush.

    "But that was then. Today’s Republican Party is putting a conspiracy
    theorist who views climate science as a 'gigantic hoax' in charge of
    the Senate’s environment committee. And this isn’t an isolated case.
    Pollution has become a deeply divisive partisan issue.

    "And the reason pollution has become partisan is that Republicans
    have moved right. A generation ago, it turns out, environment wasn’t
    a partisan issue: according to Pew Research, in 1992 an overwhelming
    majority in both parties favored stricter laws and regulation. Since
    then, Democratic views haven’t changed, but Republican support for
    environmental protection has collapsed.

    "So what explains this anti-environmental shift?

    "You might be tempted simply to blame money in politics, and there’s
    no question that gushers of cash from polluters fuel the
    anti-environmental movement at all levels. But this doesn’t explain
    why money from the most environmentally damaging industries, which
    used to flow to both parties, now goes overwhelmingly in one
    direction. Take, for example, coal mining. In the early 1990s,
    according to the Center for Responsive Politics, the industry
    favored Republicans by a modest margin, giving around 40 percent of
    its money to Democrats. Today that number is just 5 percent.
    Political spending by the oil and gas industry has followed a
    similar trajectory. Again, what changed?

    "One answer could be ideology. Textbook economics isn’t
    anti-environment; it says that pollution should be limited, albeit
    in market-friendly ways when possible. But the modern conservative
    movement insists that government is always the problem, never the
    solution, which creates the will to believe that environmental
    problems are fake and environmental policy will tank the economy.

    "My guess, however, is that ideology is only part of the story — or,
    more accurately, it’s a symptom of the underlying cause of the
    divide: rising inequality."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/28/opinion/paul-krugman-pollution-and-politics.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*