[✔️] November 29, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Tue Nov 29 08:17:13 EST 2022

/*November 29, 2022*/

/[  Positive trend ] /
*With Federal Aid on the Table, Utilities Shift to Embrace Climate Goals*
As billions in government subsidies were at stake, the electric utility
industry shed its opposition to clean-air regulation and put its
lobbying muscle behind passing President Biden’s climate bill...
- -
Their new stance is driven less by evolving ideology than the changing
economics of renewable energy, fueled in part by the sheer amount of
money the federal government is putting on the table to encourage
utilities to move more quickly to cleaner and more sustainable sources
of energy like solar and wind...
- -
“Let’s be honest — these guys can say all they want about the
environment and how we are all aligned,” said Shahriar Pourreza, who has
spent two decades studying the utility industry for Wall Street firms.
“But you strip back the layers of the onion and this is also a major
long-term growth opportunity for these utilities.”...
- -
“For many years we would be sitting in a room and we’d be on opposite
ends,” said Mr. Nolan, the chief executive at Eversource, who was among
the industry executives celebrating the legislation’s passage at the
White House in September. “Now, they got to get on board. They can’t
deny climate change.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/29/us/politics/electric-utilities-biden-climate-bill.html

/[ NYTimes discusses  - tipping points can trigger other tipping points
- video 34 min ]/
*How Close Are We to a Climate Change Tipping Point?*
New York Times Events
6,643 views  Nov 8, 2022
Our climate is dangerously close to the point of no return — the moment
when nothing will ever be the same again. Once certain thresholds, or
tipping points, are crossed, chain reactions caused by an accumulation
of small changes will shift our climate irrevocably. But what exactly
are these climate tipping points? If they occur over decades or
centuries, could we cross them without even noticing? What extreme risks
are they already perpetuating and how can we avoid the worst impacts?

    Speakers:
    Max Bearak, Correspondent, The New York Times
    Raymond Zhong, Climate Reporter, The New York Times
    Hoesung Lee, Chair, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
    Johan Rockström, Director, Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFYE4CfeIj0

/[ Letting loose the off-set  ---- nice to plant trees, but carbon still
chokes the atmosphere ]/
*What does climate neutral mean? | DW Documentary*
DW Documentary
112K views  Nov 8, 2022
More and more companies claim to be climate neutral. It’s a term that is
used to sell goods and services. Even countries say that they are
seeking to attain climate neutrality. But who actually determines what
‘climate neutral’ means? And who regulates it?

Climate neutrality has become an important argument when it comes to
winning over customers. But it is very hard to pin down exactly what
climate neutral actually means. It is not a regulated term, nor is there
a universal definition for the label. There are a lot of products and
services that claim to be climate neutral these days, such as T-shirts,
electricity tariffs and flights. More and more climate neutral goods are
popping up on supermarket shelves, too. But there is no general
definition to guide consumers. Nor does a legal framework exist to
regulate or monitor its use.

At first glance it seems very simple. Something is climate neutral when
a manufacturing process or service does not emit more greenhouse gas
emissions than can be saved elsewhere. At least that is roughly how the
European Parliament, for example, defines climate neutrality. But it’s
not quite so simple.

Climate neutrality can also be achieved via offsets. That means
companies do not, for instance, reduce harmful gases in the production
process, but instead compensate for those emissions later. Anyone who
has spent a few euros on offsetting their carbon footprint when buying a
flight ticket is familiar with the concept. It does not cut fuel
emissions, but the money is used, for example, to plant trees and so
contribute to the reduction of greenhouse gases.

There is also a fundamental discussion going on behind the scenes: Can a
company describe itself as climate neutral, if it is primarily achieving
that status with offsets? Can products, companies, or entire countries
really be or become climate neutral? Or is it all empty promises, yet
more greenwashing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx6wFq9B-BM

/[ "the United States was blocking action" --  discussion - 19 min video ]/
*After THE OIL MACHINE: Sir David King*
Sonja Henrici Creates
375 views  Nov 11, 2022
The issues raised in the film THE OIL MACHINE have become even more
urgent with recent upheavals in energy security, the cost of living, and
our climate. At the same time, the UK government is rushing to offer 100
new licences for North Sea oil and gas exploration. One year on from the
COP26 climate conference in Glasgow and coinciding with COP27, we’re now
going back to the film’s contributors to ask them how recent global
events have shaped the ongoing debate about oil.

Here's our catch-up with Sir David King, formerly the UK Government's
Chief Scientific Advisor and Special Representative for Climate Change.
He is the founder of the Cambridge Centre for Climate Repair and the
Climate Crisis Advisory Group.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oq5QzL9j3I

/[ Predicting the future of the financial system -  "3 meals from
anarchy" - video 27 min ]/
*After THE OIL MACHINE: Steve Waygood*
Sonja Henrici Creates
240 views  Nov 14, 2022
The issues raised in the film THE OIL MACHINE have become even more
urgent with recent upheavals in energy security, the cost of living, and
our climate. At the same time, the UK government is rushing to offer 100
new licences for North Sea oil and gas exploration. One year on from the
COP26 climate conference in Glasgow and coinciding with COP27, we’re now
going back to the film’s contributors to ask them how recent global
events have shaped the ongoing debate about oil.
Here's our catch-up with Steve Waygood, Chief Responsible Investment
Officer with Aviva Investors.
See our events and get involved at https://www.theoilmachine.org
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IydrbegZy2A
https://youtu.be/IydrbegZy2A?t=793

- -

/[ See the movie ]/
*The Oil Machine - Official Trailer - In Cinemas 4 November*
Sonja Henrici Creates
1,169 views  Oct 26, 2022
On release from 4 November in the UK
#theoilmachine #theoilmachinefilm

The Oil Machine explores our economic, historical and emotional
entanglement with oil by looking at the conflicting imperatives around
North Sea oil.

    Director: Emma Davie
    Producer: Sonja Henrici

contact at sonjahenrici.com
www.theoilmachine.org
https://www.theoilmachine.org/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JfArIOGC-A

- -

/[ After you see the movie ]/
*After THE OIL MACHINE: Tessa Khan*
Sonja Henrici Creates
Nov 15, 2022
The issues raised in the film THE OIL MACHINE have become even more
urgent with recent upheavals in energy security, the cost of living, and
our climate. At the same time, the UK government is rushing to offer 100
new licences for North Sea oil and gas exploration. One year on from the
COP26 climate conference in Glasgow and coinciding with COP27, we’re now
going back to the film’s contributors to ask them how recent global
events have shaped the ongoing debate about oil.
Here's our catch-up with Tessa Khan, a climate lawyer and campaigner.
See our events and get involved at https://www.theoilmachine.org
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAER7ov-JM0

/[ Yes we know, and no, we are not ready  -- text in Axios ]/
*The 2021 Pacific Northwest heat wave was a climate change warning*
Ben Geman
Andrew Freedman
Axios on facebook

The 2021 heat wave in the Pacific Northwest, which killed hundreds of
people in the U.S. and Canada, was a harbinger of a new generation of
climate disasters to come, a new study finds.

Why it matters: In the most comprehensive analysis to date of what made
the heat wave so extreme, scientists ruled out the possibility this was
a "black swan" event, which is unpredictable and unlikely to recur.

The big picture: Instead, the new study in Nature Climate Change shows
that amplifying feedbacks between factors such as unusually dry soils
and a highly contorted jet stream added to the effects of long-term
climate change.

This dialed up the heat to unprecedented levels for the region.
The wavy jet stream pattern, itself tied to climate change, helped give
rise to a record-strong heat dome that parked itself over British
Columbia and the Northwest U.S. in early summer.
The study finds that in the Northwest but likely other areas as well,
multiple trends are pushing the climate into a zone where such extremes
are far more likely.
“The background warming, the atmospheric dynamics, and the soil moisture
deficiency interacted in a way that amplified this event beyond a normal
extreme,” study coauthor Kai Kornhuber, a senior fellow at the German
Council on Foreign Relations, tells Axios in an interview.
Between the lines: In the 1950s, the study states, the prospect of such
a heat wave occurring in the Pacific Northwest was virtually impossible,
but climate change had transformed that into a 1-in-200-year event by 2021.

-- Part of the reason for this is the gradual drying seen across the region.
-- "Our study is the first to pinpoint how warming-induced land drying
has transitioned the Pacific Northwest from a wet region without
effective soil moisture-temperature feedbacks to a transitional climate
between wet and dry," said study coauthor Mingfang Ting of Columbia
University.
-- "That can strengthen land-atmosphere feedbacks and thus large
temperature swings."

-- Kornhuber says that while it is "encouraging" that models used for
weather forecasting captured the heat wave's likely development and
severity, climate models used to conduct risk assessments for heat
hazards in coming decades may be flawed.
-- If they are missing some of the feedbacks the study identifies,
climate models could underplay the risk of a repeat or even worse event.
-- Looking ahead, if climate change is held to 2°C above the
pre-industrial average, 2021-type Pacific Northwest heat events are
likely to take place at a frequency of about once every 10 years.
Yes, but: Even if all existing emissions pledges are met, the world is
currently headed for greater than 2°C of warming.

  What they're saying: "Our study supports a very direct conclusion that
extreme heat like this will only become more and more likely — both in
this region and across the globe, especially where heat stress is
already extremely high — as more fossil fuels are burned," lead author
Samuel Bartusek of Columbia University told Axios via email.
https://www.axios.com/2022/11/28/climate-change-heat-wave-northwest-warning-sign

/[ Showing how easy it is -- comedian has fun with internet
disinformation -- video 34 min]/
*PalmerTrolls - You Can Be Anything | Comedy Special*
Ben Palmer
139,125 views  Oct 8, 2022
Ben Palmer - You Can Be Anything
Recorded at RISE Comedy in Denver, CO: https://risecomedy.com/
https://linktr.ee/BenjaminPalmer
http://www.patreon.com/palmertrolls
SUBSCRIBE: https://bit.ly/2BNA8nR
Website: https://www.palmertrolls.com
INSTAGRAM: http://www.instagram.com/palmertrolls
TIKTOK: http://www.tiktok.com/@palmertrolls
TWITTER: http://www.twitter.com/palmertrolls

FACEBOOK:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/hopethishelps
http://www.facebook.com/palmertrolls
http://www.facebook.com/ihopethishelps
EMAIL: benpalmercomedy at gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLeCkSoS0oQ

/[The news archive - looking back at the Paris Accords ]/
/*November 29, 2015*/
November 29, 2015:
The New York Times reports:

    "After two decades of talks that failed to slow the relentless pace
    of global warming, negotiators from almost 200 countries are widely
    expected to sign a deal in the next two weeks to take concrete steps
    to cut emissions.

    "The prospect of progress, any progress, has elicited cheers in many
    quarters. The pledges that have already been announced 'represent a
    clear and determined down payment on a new era of climate ambition
    from the global community of nations,' said Christiana Figueres,
    executive secretary of the United Nations Framework Convention on
    Climate Change, in a statement a month ago.

    "Yet the negotiators gathering in Paris will not be discussing any
    plan that comes close to meeting their own stated goal of limiting
    the increase of global temperatures to a reasonably safe level.

    "They have pointedly declined to take up a recommendation from
    scientists, made several years ago, that they set a cap on total
    greenhouse gases as a way to achieve that goal, and then figure out
    how to allocate the emissions fairly. The pledges countries are
    making are voluntary, and were established in most nations as a
    compromise between the desire to be ambitious and the perceived cost
    and political difficulty of emissions cutbacks.

    "In effect, the countries are vowing to make changes that
    collectively still fall far short of the necessary goal, much like a
    patient who, upon hearing from his doctor that he must lose 50
    pounds to avoid life-threatening health risks, takes pride in
    cutting out fries but not cake and ice cream.

    "The scientists argue that there is only so much carbon — in the
    form of exhaust from coal-burning power plants, automobile
    tailpipes, forest fires and the like — that the atmosphere can
    absorb before the planet suffers profound damage, with swaths of it
    potentially becoming uninhabitable."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/29/science/earth/paris-climate-talks-avoid-scientists-goal-of-carbon-budget.html?_r=0

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*