[✔️] April 8, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Air turbulence site, Baseball and global warming, wind and solar power trying to connect, track airline turbulence, Bio fuels

R.Pauli Richard at CredoandScreed.com
Sat Apr 8 05:27:54 EDT 2023

/*April*//*8, 2023*/

/[ danger perceiving the real world - how to know the difference between
a lie and a hallucination ]/
*ChatGPT is making up fake Guardian articles. Here’s how we’re responding*
Chris Moran
The risks inherent in the technology, plus the speed of its take-up,
demonstrate why it’s so vital that we keep track of it

Chris Moran is the Guardian’s head of editorial innovation
Why? Because it had never been written.

Luckily the researcher had told us that they had carried out their
research using ChatGPT. In response to being asked about articles on
this subject, the AI had simply made some up. Its fluency, and the vast
training data it is built on, meant that the existence of the invented
piece even seemed believable to the person who absolutely hadn’t written it.

Huge amounts have been written about generative AI’s tendency to
manufacture facts and events. But this specific wrinkle – the invention
of sources – is particularly troubling for trusted news organisations
and journalists whose inclusion adds legitimacy and weight to a
persuasively written fantasy. And for readers and the wider information
ecosystem, it opens up whole new questions about whether citations can
be trusted in any way, and could well feed conspiracy theories about the
mysterious removal of articles on sensitive issues that never existed in
the first place.

If this seems like an edge case, it’s important to note that ChatGPT,
from a cold start in November, registered 100 million monthly users in
January. TikTok, unquestionably a digital phenomenon, took nine months
to hit the same level. Since that point we’ve seen Microsoft implement
the same technology in Bing, putting pressure on Google to follow suit
with Bard.

They are now implementing these systems into Google Workspace and
Microsoft 365, which have a 90% plus share of the market between them. A
recent study of 1,000 students in the US found that 89% have used
ChatGPT to help with a homework assignment. The technology, with all its
faults, has been normalised at incredible speed, and is now at the heart
of systems that act as the key point of discovery and creativity for a
significant portion of the world.

Two days ago our archives team was contacted by a student asking about
another missing article from a named journalist. There was again no
trace of the article in our systems. The source? ChatGPT.

It’s easy to get sucked into the detail on generative AI, because it is
inherently opaque. The ideas and implications, already explored by
academics across multiple disciplines, are hugely complex, the
technology is developing rapidly, and companies with huge existing
market shares are integrating it as fast as they can to gain competitive
advantages, disrupt each other and above all satisfy shareholders.

But the question for responsible news organisations is simple, and
urgent: what can this technology do right now, and how can it benefit
responsible reporting at a time when the wider information ecosystem is
already under pressure from misinformation, polarisation and bad actors.

This is the question we are currently grappling with at the Guardian.
And it’s why we haven’t yet announced a new format or product built on
generative AI. Instead, we’ve created a working group and small
engineering team to focus on learning about the technology, considering
the public policy and IP questions around it, listening to academics and
practitioners, talking to other organisations, consulting and training
our staff, and exploring safely and responsibly how the technology
performs when applied to journalistic use.

In doing this we have found that, along with asking how we can use
generative AI, we are reflecting more and more on what journalism is
for, and what makes it valuable. We are excited by the potential, but
our first task must be to understand it, evaluate it and decode its
potential impact on the wider world.

In the next few weeks we’ll be publishing a clear and concise
explanation of how we plan to employ generative AI. In the simplest
terms, we will continue to hold ourselves to the highest journalistic
standards and remain accountable to our readers and the world for the
journalism we publish. While so much has changed in the last six months,
in this crucial respect, nothing has changed at all.

Chris Moran is the Guardian’s head of editorial innovation
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/06/ai-chatgpt-guardian-technology-risks-fake-article
[ carefully inspect this URL ]

- -

/[ addendum ]/
*Guardian Pick*
I do a lot of research work online and you really cannot believe how
much ChatGPT invents sources. Literal pure inventions. In one paper, it
provided 15 sources plus links. Written in the style of genuine journals
and government material including links. None of the links it provided
worked including for hard statistics it claimed to source from official
government records. Virtually every reference it provides is a total
fake. The worst part …
https://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/162097609

/[ Baseball future must include more domed stadiums   ( that's domed,
not doomed) ] /
*Going, going, gone: Study says climate change juicing homers*
Seth Borenstein
Seth is a science writer who covers climate change and other sciences.
sborenstein at ap.org
By SETH BORENSTEIN
April, 7, 2023
https://apnews.com/article/baseball-home-runs-climate-change-2f05bcb73155ae63b8b6344b42dba33b
Climate change is making major league sluggers into even hotter hitters,
sending an extra 50 or so home runs a year over the fences, a new study
found.

Hotter, thinner air that allows balls to fly farther contributed a tiny
bit to a surge in home runs since 2010, according to a statistical
analysis by Dartmouth College scientists published in Friday’s Bulletin
of the American Meteorological Society. They analyzed 100,000 major
league games and more than 200,000 balls put into play in the last few
years along with weather conditions, stadiums and other factors.

“Global warming is juicing home runs in Major League Baseball,” said
study co-author Justin Mankin, a Dartmouth climate scientist.

It’s basic physics.
- -
“We always felt that way for years,” Phillies president of baseball
operations Dave Dombrowski said. “When it’s warmer, the ball travels
more and they have scientific evidence to back that up.”

Homers have always varied by ballpark due to simple factors like
dimensions that are friendlier to pitchers than hitters, or vice versa,
as well as wind conditions.
- -
How many extra homers depends on how hot it gets, which depends on how
much greenhouse gas the world spews from the burning of coal, oil and
gas. Callahan ran different scenarios of carbon pollution through
computer simulations.

In the worst-case warming trajectory – which some scientists say the
world is no longer on based on recent emissions – there would be about
192 warming-aided homers a year by 2050 and around 467 hot home runs by
the year 2100. In more moderate carbon pollution scenarios, closer to
where Earth is now tracking, there would be about 155 warming-aided
homers a year by 2050 and around 255 extra dingers at the end of the
century, Callahan said.

Because baseball has so many statistics and analytics, such as the
tracking system Statcast, trends can be seen more easily than other
effects of climate change, Mankin said. Still, the scientists can’t
point to a single homer and say that’s a warming-aided home run. It’s a
detail that can be only seen in the more than 63,000 homers hit since 2010.

Several climate scientists told The Associated Press that the study
makes perfect sense and the statistics are analyzed properly, though
they also point out factors other than climate change are in play and
likely have bigger effects.

Both Texas A&M’s Andrew Dessler and University of Illinois’ Don Wuebbles
said while the rise in home runs is interesting, it pales next to the
issues of extreme weather and rising seas.

But Callahan said it actually brings home the threat of climate change
in a unique way. Besides resulting in more home runs, a warming climate
will likely require more domed stadiums because it will simply be too
hot outside for humans in some places.

“Global warming is going to reshape so many of the things that we care
about in so many pernicious and subtle ways,” Callahan said. “And the
fact that we’ll get to go to fewer baseball games played in open air is
not a civilization-ending crisis, but it is another sign of the way that
we have reshaped our lives due to our greenhouse gas emissions.”
https://apnews.com/article/baseball-home-runs-climate-change-2f05bcb73155ae63b8b6344b42dba33b

/[  fossil fuel interests are thrilled by this ]/
*Wind and solar power generators wait in yearslong lines to put clean
electricity on the grid, then face huge interconnection fees they can't
afford*
APR 6 2023
Catherine Clifford
@CATCLIFFORD
@IN/CATCLIFFORD/KEY POINTS

    - To connect a new source of power to the U.S. electric grid
    requires energy generators to go through an application process with
    a regional transmission authority or utility.

    - That interconnection application process is often yearslong and
    requires upgrades to the grid, which are often so expensive that
    power generators have to back out.

    - The entire electric grid in the United States has installed
    capacity of about 1,250 gigawatts of power and there is currently
    2,020 gigawatts of energy capacity waiting in line to be connected...

*How does this situation get fixed?...*

Building sufficient transmission to support the energy transition is not
necessarily a technical challenge as much as it is a political one.

"The type of coordination and planning that's required for this kind of
large-scale transmission — this involves maybe multiple utilities,
multiple grid operators, multiple states, cities, counties, everything,
even the feds are all involved — and that is antithetical to the U.S. as
structured as a decentralized nation," Sweezey told CNBC.

But the stakes are high.

"Even with all of the work, with all this great stuff that's in the IRA
and all of the wind that is in the sails of decarbonization in the
renewable industry, if you can't address transmission and
infrastructure, then those goals aren't going to be met," White told CNBC.

"It really is the bottleneck that's preventing that from happening."

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/04/06/outdated-us-energy-grid-tons-of-clean-energy-stuck-waiting-in-line.html

/[   new Turbulence  ]/
*Airline passengers could be in for a rougher ride, thanks to climate
change*
April 6, 2023
By Scott Neuman

In March, Ingrid Weisse, her husband and two young sons were aboard
Alaska Airlines 889 from Portland, Ore., on a flight home to Hawaii when
the Boeing 737 began buffeting so fiercely that it felt as if the plane
would shake itself apart.

"It got really, really violent," says Weisse. There was lots of
screaming in the cabin. A flight attendant was hit by an ice bucket that
became a projectile. So many people got sick from the sudden changes in
altitude that flight attendants had to hand out more vomit bags, she
says. Midway through the approximately 45-minute ordeal, one frightened
passenger yelled out, "Please tell us this is normal!"

For Weisse and her family — all frequent flyers — it was like nothing
they had ever experienced. Clearly the passengers aboard their flight
were rattled, but so were the flight attendants. Before disembarking in
Honolulu, one of them confided to Weisse that it was the worst
turbulence she'd seen in 23 years on the job...
- -
"Since satellites began observing in 1979, the amount of wind shear has
grown by 15%" in the jet stream, he says, referring to a study he
co-authored in 2019.

In a follow-up study using climate model simulations, Williams and
colleagues predicted that clear-air turbulence in the middle latitudes
of the Northern Hemisphere could triple in the next three to six
decades, depending on future greenhouse emissions.

A separate 2020 study by a group of China-based scientists points to
increased temperatures in the upper atmosphere contributing to "a
profound impact on the wind shear and turbulence in mid-latitudes."...
- -
*Flight attendants experience the most injuries*
Although it is almost unheard of for turbulence to cause a crash, such
events do stress a plane's airframe, says Ryan Pettit, an associate
technical fellow and senior controls engineer for Boeing.

Really jarring turbulence "can impart pretty big loads on the airplane,"
he says. However, "the design standards of modern aircraft are really high."

Nevertheless, the National Transportation Safety Board has said that
turbulence causes the most common types of accidents aboard aircraft.
 From 2009 to 2022, the National Transportation Safety Board tallied 163
"serious injuries" resulting from turbulence. The types of injuries
tracked include major fractures, serious burns, internal bleeding or any
other injury requiring two or more days of hospitalization. Flight crews
incurred 80% of all such injuries, the NTSB notes...

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/06/1166993992/turbulence-climate-change
. .
/[  New website may be useful to frequent flyers  ]/
*Welcome to Turbulence Forecast*
Turbulence Forecast offers the most accurate HD automated turbulence
forecast maps, custom to your flights, so you can easily follow along as
you fly and anticipate areas of turbulence. We also offer forecasts by
email, written by our in house experts, including the founder of this
site, when you need a human touch.
https://www.turbulenceforecast.com/

/[ Dave Roberts from Volts ]/
*What's going on with biofuels?*
A conversation with Dan Lashof of the World Resources Institute.
APR 7
My fellow olds will recall that, back in the 2000s, biofuels were an
extremely big deal in the clean-energy world, one of a tiny handful of
decarbonization solutions that seemed viable. Biofuels — and the many
advanced versions thereof allegedly on the horizon — dominated
discussions of climate change policy.

Much has changed since then. Principally, it has become clear that
electrification is the cheapest path to decarbonization for most
sectors, including the transportation sector. The Biden administration
has explicitly put electrification at the center of its transportation
decarbonization strategy.

Biofuels, in the meantime, have gone exactly nowhere. Advanced biofuels
remain almost entirely notional, old-fashioned corn ethanol remains as
wasteful as ever, and new scientific evidence suggests that the carbon
costs of biofuels are much larger than previously appreciated.

It's not clear if anyone has told the EPA. For the first time in 15
years, the agency is on the verge of updating biofuels production
mandates first established by the Energy Independence and Security Act
of 2007, and its proposed standards do not appear cognizant of these
recent developments, or of the administration's larger transportation
strategy.

To discuss the latest developments in biofuels and the EPA's puzzling
blind spot, I talked to Dan Lashof, director of the World Resources
Institute. We discussed how biofuels have developed since the early
2000s, the lack of progress in advanced biofuels, and the stakes of
EPA's coming decisions...

https://www.volts.wtf/p/whats-going-on-with-biofuels?utm_source=podcast-email%2Csubstack&publication_id=193024&post_id=108097380&utm_medium=email#details

[ WISPA ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOi05zDO4yw

/[The news archive - looking back at moments of potential change ]/
/*April 8, 2003*/
April 8, 2003: In the New York Times, climate scientist Michael
Oppenheimer declares: "The threat of global warming, first raised in
1896, has outlived many foreign policy crises. Our failure to deal with
it is starting to bear a bitter harvest not only in rising seas and
intensified rainstorms, but also in disruption of long-standing
alliances, and interference with other foreign policy objectives. It is
well past time for U.S. leaders to put the climate problem at the center
of America's domestic and international agendas."

    Opinion
    *After Iraq : Declare war on global warming*
    By Michael Oppenheimer, International Herald Tribune
    April 8, 2003

    With his rejection of the Kyoto Protocol on climate change in 2001,
    President George W. Bush inadvertently caused an upheaval in
    international relations. Environmental issues had been long regarded
    as the poor stepchild of the foreign policy arena. But as recent
    remarks by Prime Minister Tony Blair of Britain and the United
    Nations arms inspector Hans Blix made clear, the global warming
    issue, and particularly America's handling of it, has become a
    central geopolitical concern.

    Speaking at a delicate moment in the Iraq crisis, Blair contrasted
    the current situation with "issues that affect us over time. They
    are just as devastating in their potential impact" as weapons of
    mass destruction and terrorism, "some more so, but they require
    reflection and strategy geared to the long-term, often straddling
    many years and many governments. Within this category are the issues
    of global poverty, relations between the Muslim world and the West,
    environmental degradation, most particularly climate change."

    Challenging U.S. claims that the Kyoto Protocol is too costly, Blair
    declared that "it is clear Kyoto is not radical enough" and
    committed Britain to cutting its emissions of global warming gases
    by 60 percent by 2050. This goes far beyond the Kyoto Protocol's 5
    percent reduction mandated for developed countries by 2012.

    Recently, Blix chimed in by commenting, "I'm more worried about
    global warming than I am about any major military conflict."

    Blair's speech served the obvious need to buttress his standing with
    a British public that is disturbed over his unwavering support of
    America's Iraq policy. By opposing the United States and laying
    claim to leadership of the dozens of countries that are working to
    bring the Kyoto Protocol into force, Blair clearly intended to
    counteract the charge that he is subservient to Bush. That an
    environmental issue could be deployed in this way is itself notable.

    Blair's remarks serve a broader purpose, however. They are a
    reminder of how severely the U.S. rejection of the Kyoto Protocol
    and other accords has distorted its relations with erstwhile allies,
    preparing the ground for rancor over Iraq by depleting a decades-old
    stock of trans-Atlantic goodwill.

    Blair's statement that "the world is in danger of polarizing around
    two different agendas" serves as a warning to Bush that his emphasis
    on near-term security concerns attends to just half the equation of
    human well-being. Global stability depends equally on the United
    States stepping up to the plate on global warming and other
    long-term issues.

    For environmentalists who have pressed the foreign policy
    establishment for 20 years to take their concerns seriously, this
    welcome juxtaposition of global environment and international
    security brings along a touch of irony. In 1989, Prime Minister
    Margaret Thatcher of Britain underwent a conversion experience on
    the environment, and called for an international treaty on climate
    change. Three years later, her leadership was an important factor in
    convincing a reluctant President George H.W. Bush to sign the UN
    Framework Convention on Climate Change, the parent document of the
    Kyoto Protocol. The U.S. Senate ratified that agreement a few months
    later.

    The Cold War had ended, and the environment seemed about to get its
    turn on the international agenda because matters considered
    weightier by the foreign policy establishment had been cleared off
    the table. To some, it was the "end of history" but unfortunately,
    not the beginning of continuing attention to global warming and
    related issues by high-level officials in the United States.

    One reason the Kyoto Protocol fell afoul of the U.S. government, and
    one reason the Bush administration fell afoul of Europe in its
    hamhanded rejection of the protocol, was a failure in Washington to
    understand the emerging importance of the climate issue to
    international relations now, as well as to global stability in the
    future.

    The situation could worsen. The Kyoto Protocol appears likely to
    come into force this year if, as expected, Russia ratifies it. As
    Europe, Japan and others implement cuts in emissions, the question
    of how to treat the United States, should it continue to abstain,
    could point in nasty directions, such as trade sanctions on products
    like cars, airplanes and computers whose manufacture causes
    emissions of global warming gases. Earlier, sanctions would have
    been out of the question. If the current trans-Atlantic alienation
    persists, one cannot exclude the possibility that Europe eventually
    will turn to such an approach.

    The threat of global warming, first raised in 1896, has outlived
    many foreign policy crises. Our failure to deal with it is starting
    to bear a bitter harvest not only in rising seas and intensified
    rainstorms, but also in disruption of long-standing alliances, and
    interference with other foreign policy objectives. It is well past
    time for U.S. leaders to put the climate problem at the center of
    America's domestic and international agendas.

    The writer is a professor of geosciences and international affairs
    at the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs,
    Princeton University.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/08/opinion/08iht-edoppen_ed3_.html

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli