[✔️] June 13, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Montana court live, NYT, CO2 is 424ppm, See sea level rise mapped, Peter Gleick on 3 Ages of water, language, 1993 BTU tax

Tue Jun 13 09:41:53 EDT 2023

/*June*//*13, 2023*/

/[  The Montana live court started Monday - a zoom connection allows one
to see the case live starting 9AM MT- this is tremendously innovative
for court cases in Montana -- a large state where long distance travel
can be burdensome. It is being recorded, and likely will be posted for
viewing ]/
*The Live connection
*https://fishercourtreporting.zoom.us/j/89337437466#success/
/https://www.youthvgov.org/held-v-montana
the fairly readable filed complaint -
http://climatecasechart.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/case-documents/2020/20200313_docket-CDV-2020-307_complaint.pdf

- -

[ NYTimes ]
*A Landmark Youth Climate Trial Begins in Montana*
Sixteen young people argue that the state is robbing their future by
embracing policies that contribute to climate change.

By Mike Baker
Reporting from Helena, Mont.
June 12, 2023
A landmark climate change trial opened on Monday in Montana, where a
group of young people are contending that the state’s embrace of fossil
fuels is destroying pristine environments, upending cultural traditions
and robbing young residents of a healthy future.

The case, more than a decade in the making, is the first of a series of
similar challenges pending in various states as part of an effort to
increase pressure on policymakers to take more urgent action on emissions.

Rikki Held, 22, a plaintiff who was among the first witnesses to testify
on Monday, described how her family’s 3,000-acre ranch in eastern
Montana had been threatened by droughts, wildfires and extreme weather,
including heat waves and floods. At times she grew tearful talking about
working through those conditions while trying to maintain the family’s
livelihood.

“I know that climate change is a global issue, but Montana needs to take
responsibility for our part of that,” Ms. Held said. “You can’t just
blow it off and do nothing about it.”

The case revolves around the contention from 16 young residents — who
range in age from 5 to 22 — that the state government has failed to live
up to its constitutional mandate to “maintain and improve a clean and
healthful environment in Montana for present and future generations.”

State leaders have fought the accusations, calling the proceedings a
show trial and a “gross injustice.”

“Montana’s emissions are simply too minuscule to make any difference,”
​​Michael Russell, an assistant attorney general, said during the
state’s opening statement. “Climate change is a global issue that
effectively relegates Montana’s role to that of a spectator.”

The two-week trial in a courtroom in Lewis and Clark County will feature
both the accounts of young people dealing with climate change and the
testimony of climate experts. At the end, Judge Kathy Seeley will be
asked by the plaintiffs to declare that the state’s support for the
fossil fuel industry is unconstitutional.

Environmental advocates believe such a finding could put pressure on
government leaders in Montana and elsewhere to take action on curbing
emissions. They are also hopeful that the judge could order the state to
consider climate impacts when approving new projects.

The effects of a warming climate are already spreading across Montana,
including shrinking glaciers at Glacier National Park and a lengthening
wildfire season that threatens the state’s treasured outdoor pastimes.
The plaintiffs in the case have said that the state’s inaction on
climate change threatens their ability to access clean water, sustain
family ranches or continue hunting traditions.

“Montana’s warming climate will have cascading environmental and
economic impacts,” Roger Sullivan, a lawyer for the young residents,
said in opening statements.

The young people have personally experienced daunting signs of the
future, not only the smoke from wildfires but also the flooding at
Yellowstone National Park.

Julia Olson, the executive director of Our Children’s Trust, the
environmental nonprofit that helped bring the Montana lawsuit, said the
case had the potential to set a new course for a healthier and more
prosperous future for the generations to come. Many of the young
plaintiffs planned to testify.

In Montana, It’s Youth vs. the State in a Landmark Climate Case
Montana, whose unofficial nicknames include the “Treasure State,” has
long had its fortunes yoked to the mining industry. Helena, the state
capital, where the climate case is being tried, was founded in the 1860s
by gold prospectors. Montana is the nation’s fifth-largest
coal-producing state and the 12th-largest oil-producing state.

Earlier this year, continuing to demonstrate the state’s support of
fossil fuels, Republican lawmakers approved a law that prohibits state
regulators from considering the effect on climate when assessing large
projects like new power plants or factories.

However, the state has also long treasured its unspoiled landscapes and
crystal-clear lakes, embracing another unofficial nickname, “The Last
Best Place.” The state added the language to its Constitution about the
right to a clean and healthful environment in 1972 in response to
growing concern about protecting those assets. Only a handful of states
establish clear environmental rights in their constitutions...
The first witness called by the plaintiffs was Mae Nan Ellingson, who
was the youngest delegate at the 1972 constitutional convention. She
testified about how environmental protection was a key issue for many
who were involved in the process.

“We wanted an environment that was clean and healthful, so it was a
fairly long and contentious debate to ultimately get the words ‘clean
and healthful’ included as descriptors of the environment,” she said.

The first day of the trial also featured an extensive review of charts
and scientific reports, exploring the history of rising levels of carbon
dioxide in the atmosphere, how the trend is linked to fossil fuels, the
ways in which it contributes to a warming planet and the effects on Montana.

But some of the scientific details became a point of conflict. When the
plaintiffs introduced the most recent climate assessment from the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, convened by the United
Nations, which warned that there was “a rapidly closing window” to
secure a “livable” future, the state objected, calling it “hearsay.”
When the plaintiffs contended that the report was a government document
based on government data, the Montana lawyers retorted: “I don’t think
it’s our government.”

The judge allowed the report to be introduced.

State leaders have resisted the climate lawsuit, which had its roots in
an unsuccessful effort in 2011 that pressed the state Supreme Court to
force the state to take action on climate change. As part of the case,
state officials have disputed the overwhelming scientific consensus that
the burning of fossil fuels is changing the global climate and denied
that severe weather events in the state were linked to rising air
temperatures.

Our Children’s Trust has undertaken legal action in every state on the
climate issue. While judges have dismissed most of the cases, several of
the group’s lawsuits are pending. The group won another preliminary
victory on June 1 when a judge ruled that a youth case in Oregon, aimed
at the federal government, could go to trial.

Mike Baker is the Seattle bureau chief, reporting primarily from the
Northwest and Alaska. @ByMikeBaker
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/12/us/montana-youth-climate-trial.html

/[ NOAA  press release 424 ppm  ]/
*Broken record: Atmospheric carbon dioxide levels jump again*
Annual increase in Keeling Curve peak is one of the largest on record
June 5, 2023
Carbon dioxide levels measured at NOAA’s Mauna Loa Atmospheric Baseline
Observatory peaked at 424 parts per million in May, continuing a steady
climb further into territory not seen for millions of years, scientists
from NOAA and Scripps Institution of Oceanographyoffsite link at the
University of California San Diego announced today...
- -

“Every year we see carbon dioxide levels in our atmosphere increase as a
direct result of human activity,” said NOAA Administrator Rick Spinrad,
Ph.D. “Every year, we see the impacts of climate change in the heat
waves, droughts, flooding, wildfires and storms happening all around us.
While we will have to adapt to the climate impacts we cannot avoid, we
must expend every effort to slash carbon pollution and safeguard this
planet and the life that calls it home.”

Carbon dioxide pollution is generated by burning fossil fuels for
transportation and electrical generation, by cement manufacturing,
deforestation, agriculture and many other practices. Like other
greenhouse gases, CO2 traps heat radiating from the planet’s surface
that would otherwise escape into space, amplifying extreme weather
events, such as heat waves, drought and wildfires, as well as
precipitation and flooding.

Rising CO2 levels also pose a threat to the world's ocean, which absorbs
both CO2 gas and excess heat from the atmosphere. Impacts include
increasing surface and subsurface ocean temperatures and the disruption
of marine ecosystems, rising sea levels and ocean acidification, which
changes the chemistry of seawater, leading to lower dissolved oxygen,
and interferes with the growth of some marine organisms.

NOAA began measurements in 1974, and the two research institutions have
made complementary, independent observations ever since. Keeling’s son,
geochemist Ralph Keeling, runs the Scripps program, including the
sampling at Mauna Loa.

“What we’d like to see is the curve plateauing and even falling because
carbon dioxide as high as 420 or 425 parts per million is not good,”
Keeling said. “It shows that as much as we’ve done to mitigate and
reduce emissions, we still have a long way to go.”

To visualize how sea level rise may affect your community, visit NOAA’s
sea level rise viewer.
https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/broken-record-atmospheric-carbon-dioxide-levels-jump-again

- -

/[ NOAA's interactive data viewer ]/
*Sea Level Rise Viewer*/https://coast.noaa.gov/slr/ /**
Disclaimer

    The data and maps in this tool illustrate the scale of potential
    flooding, not the exact location, and do not account for erosion,
    subsidence, or future construction. Water levels are relative to
    Mean Higher High Water (MHHW) (excludes wind driven tides). The
    data, maps, and information provided should be used only as a
    screening-level tool for management decisions. As with all remotely
    sensed data, all features should be verified with a site visit. The
    data and maps in this tool are provided “as is,” without warranty to
    their performance, merchantable state, or fitness for any particular
    purpose. The entire risk associated with the results and performance
    of these data is assumed by the user. This tool should be used
    strictly as a planning reference tool and not for navigation,
    permitting, or other legal purposes.

https://coast.noaa.gov/slr/

/[ Discussion of new book  ]/
*Peter Gleick and The Three Ages of Water*
Climate One
June 12, 2023
This year’s precipitation across California is well above average, and
snowpack is on track to be one of the largest since 1950. In an arid
state that can seem like good news, but floods can be destructive and
life-threatening, and also increase vegetation that may later go up in
flames. From too little to too much – will we ever get out of this
weather whiplash?

As we enter an era defined by climate disruption, the control, access
and quality of water determines our ability to survive and thrive. How
can we ensure a future where clean water exists for all who need it –
including the ecosystems we depend on – and navigate the challenges of
too little or too much? In his latest book, “The Three Ages of Water,”
Dr. Peter Gleick explores this changing dynamic from life’s beginnings
to today’s pressing climate and water challenges.
Join Climate One Host Greg Dalton for a live conversation with Peter
Gleick about our evolving relationship with this fundamental force.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB7667K5Z4I

- -

[ Peter H. Gleick ]
*The Three Ages of Water: Prehistoric Past, Imperiled Present, and a
Hope for the Future Kindle Edition*
by Peter Gleick (Author)
#1 New Release in Historical Study Reference

A revelatory account of how water has shaped the course of human life
and history, and a positive vision of what the future can hold—if we act now

 From the very creation of the planet billions of years ago to the
present day, water has always been central to existence on Earth. And
since long before the legendary Great Flood, it has been a defining
force in the story of humanity.

In The Three Ages of Water, Peter Gleick guides us through the long,
fraught history of our relationship to this precious resource. Water has
shaped civilizations and empires, and driven centuries of advances in
science and technology—from agriculture to aqueducts, steam power to
space exploration—and progress in health and medicine.

But the achievements that have propelled humanity forward also brought
consequences, including unsustainable water use, ecological destruction,
and global climate change, that now threaten to send us into a new dark
age. We must change our ways, and quickly, to usher in a new age of
water for the benefit of everyone. Drawing from the lessons of our past,
Gleick charts a visionary path toward a sustainable future for water and
the planet.

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Ages-Water-Prehistoric-Imperiled-ebook/dp/B0BH8GXT65

/[ oh by the way --- let's ask USGS ]/
*What is the difference between global warming and climate change?*
Although people tend to use these terms interchangeably, global warming
is just one aspect of climate change. “Global warming” refers to the
rise in global temperatures due mainly to the increasing concentrations
of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. “Climate change” refers to the
increasing changes in the measures of climate over a long period of time
– including precipitation, temperature, and wind patterns...
https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-difference-between-global-warming-and-climate-change

/[The news archive - looking back at early failed attempts to make
change ...]/
/*June 13, 1993*/
June 13, 1993: The Baltimore Sun reports on the well-financed effort by
libertarian activists and fossil-fuel industry lobbyists to stop the BTU
tax.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1993-06-13/news/1993164025_1_btu-tax-energy-tax-gasoline-tax

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli