[✔️] May 9, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | 60 sec, Wall St, McKibben at Great Lakes, Hayhoe in FP, Ethics in Science Journal, Population, Arctic ice shrinking, Seminar, Earth as Sacrifice Zone, after 2013, 400ppm

Tue May 9 08:07:38 EDT 2023

/*May*//*9, 2023*/

/[ //Sierra Club's //one minute video animation -
https://youtu.be/ytRJPzcyrNM ]/
*Wall Street's Role in the Climate Crisis*
NationalSierraClub
Apr 18, 2023
http://www.sc.org/fossilfreefinance Everyone knows about the fossil fuel
industry’s role in the climate crisis. But there’s another, lesser-known
culprit: Wall Street. Customers, shareholders, and regulators all have a
role to play in holding big banks and money managers accountable for
their cozy relationship with fossil fuel companies. Join the growing
movement telling Wall Street to move money out of dirty energy projects
and scale up financing for clean energy instead:
http://www.sc.org/fossilfreefinance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytRJPzcyrNM

- -

/[ Bill McKibben general news ]/
*Weather Permitting*
A few thoughts about 'reform.'
BILL MCKIBBEN
MAY 8, 2023
+Veteran pipeline fighter Barbara Stamiris has a hard-hitting oped
explaining her view that Line 5, through the Great Lakes, is “the most
dangerous pipeline in the world,” arguing that “no other pipeline
endangers 20 percent of Earth’s freshwater, 700 miles of shoreline, and
the drinking water of 40 million.” She also provides a powerful
illustration of the pipeline’s route to help make her point
https://billmckibben.substack.com/p/weather-permitting

- -

/[ don't pee in the water bucket,  don't poop in the soup ]/
*SAVING THE GREAT LAKES*
GUEST OPINION
BY BARBARA STAMIRIS | MAY 6, 2023
If you visualize our water planet from afar, sending oil through Earth’s
largest freshwater system is unfathomable. Even in 1953, using the Great
Lakes as a shortcut for Canadian oil was senseless, except to the oil
company.
- -
A 2,000-mile Enbridge pipeline carries Alberta oil from western to
eastern Canada, cutting through the U.S. midway. The Line 5 section has
leaked 33 times across Michigan carrying oil to Sarnia. Now 70 years
old, Line 5 is the world’s most dangerous pipeline due to its degraded
condition and its position among our unique Great Lakes.

At Senator Peters’ 2018 Anchor Strike Hearing, experts called the
Mackinac Straits “the worst location in the U.S. for an oil pipeline.”
Its condition in this sensitive location makes Line 5 the most dangerous
pipeline in the U.S. and in the world. No other pipeline endangers 20
percent of Earth’s freshwater, 700 miles of shoreline, and the drinking
water of 40 million. Yet Enbridge chooses the 70-year-old Great Lakes
route instead of its seven-year-old land-based route to Sarnia.

Why is Line 5 so dangerous? In a busy shipping lane, anchor strikes are
inevitable. Warnings are ineffective, since dropping anchor is an
emergency measure. In 2018, the anchor that struck Line 5 was dragged
unknowingly, and a blizzard delayed inspection.

The Straits’ currents, 10 times stronger than Niagara Falls, scoured
away Line 5’s bottomland support. As a result, Line 5 requires 219
remedial supports which suspend it, causing new problems. Line 5 now
sways in the currents, causing bending and vibrational stress. A
suspended pipeline represents a completely new design, requiring
engineering review and approval that it never got.

When the pipeline rubbed against the supports, its safety coatings were
scraped off—damage Enbridge failed to report for three years. In 2020,
extensive damage to one of the supports led to months of shutdown.
Enbridge said its own vessel caused the isolated incident, yet forceful
currents from record-high lake levels could have caused the displacement
and affected other supports.

But most importantly, suspension makes Line 5 more vulnerable to anchor
strikes.

When Gov. Whitmer ordered Line 5 shut down in 2020 to protect the Great
Lakes, Enbridge sued to keep it operating. While Enbridge lawsuits drag
on, Line 5—well beyond its 50-year design life—continues to bring in
billions by operating in defiance of the state order.

(An Enbridge pipeline around the lakes, rebuilt and expanded after the
Kalamazoo spill, reopened in 2015 with excess capacity, but Enbridge
chooses the Great Lakes route.)

Another strategy that keeps Line 5 operating is promising a tunnel.
Knowing Line 5 is obsolete, Enbridge said a tunnel would replace it by
2024, but the Army Corps has announced a delay in its review which
pushed tunnel completion to 2030. So if the tunnel is approved, Line 5
would be nearing 80 years old. If the tunnel is not approved, Enbridge
has said it will continue to operate old Line 5. Enbridge has no
decommissioning date.

Enbridge publicly promotes a tunnel as the solution for Line 5, but its
internal plans differ. In the 2018 tunnel agreement with outgoing Gov.
Snyder, Enbridge made sure it could back out without penalty—a wise move
since an oil tunnel is not a safe investment today. This may explain why
Enbridge’s Board of Directors has not approved the tunnel and no money
is allocated for a tunnel in its annual Security & Exchange Commission
Reports meant to inform shareholders of upcoming projects.

While Enbridge avoids risk, taxpayers must fund years of state and
federal review for a tunnel unlikely to be built.

In Ottawa this past March, Biden told Trudeau we’re “two countries with
one heart.” If the Great Lakes are that heart, warnings of a
deteriorated anchor-struck pipeline, like warnings of a heart attack,
cannot be ignored. And yet mention of Line 5 was politely avoided.

Biden remained silent about Trudeau siding with Enbridge by invoking a
1977 treaty. The treaty asserts that Line 5 can’t be shut down by
Michigan, that the U.S. must transport Canada’s oil against our own
environmental and economic interests.

When Canada’s interests collide with U.S. interests, silence is not an
option. Doing nothing leaves Enbridge calling the shots. Biden can
revoke the permit for Line 5—and save the Great Lakes—if he acts before
it’s too late.

National Geographic says the Great Lakes are “the irreplaceable fragile
ecosystem…that our planet needs to survive.” An oil spill here would
have global implications; yet, unlike other climate threats, this one
can be solved by turning off a valve. While the fix itself is easy, the
politics are not. One thing is certain, Enbridge should not get to decide.

 From a planetary perspective, it’s a no-brainer. If the world’s most
dangerous pipeline has an easy solution, get the oil out of the water. Now.
Barbara Stamiris is an environmental activist living in Traverse City.
https://www.northernexpress.com/news/opinion/saving-the-great-lakes/

/[ Hayhoe in Foreign Policy ]/
*Yeah, the Weather Has Been Weird*
People already care about climate change – the trick is getting them to
realize it.
BY KATHARINE HAYHOE

We see this attitude reflected in opinions about climate change. In a
recent Gallup poll, 68 percent of Americans surveyed said they believe
humans are causing climate change, but only 42 percent agreed that
global warming will pose a serious threat in their lifetime. When asked
if we think climate change will affect us personally, fully 50 percent
of us respond with a resounding no.

This is a bigger problem than whether we accept the science of climate
change. Even for many of us who acknowledge that global warming is
happening — and we should, because it is — chances are we still see it
as just one more item on our overflowing list of priorities. News
headlines are full of urgent problems: refugees, immigration, and the
threat of war; the economy, energy, and finite resources. As individuals
our daily attention goes to our health, our safety, our jobs, and our
families....
- -
And here is where we need to alter our approach if we’re going to tackle
climate change successfully. It’s not a question of moving climate
change “up” our priority list. I don’t think climate change needs to be
an issue on our lists at all. We care about a changing climate because
it affects nearly every one of those things that are already on our
priority lists.

Almost 7.5 billion of us have built our cities and our countries under
the implicit assumption that climate is stable, and that the conditions
we’ve experienced in the past are reliable predictors of the future.
Today, though, that assumption is no longer true. Earth’s climate is
changing far faster than at any other time in human history. Two-thirds
of the world’s largest cities lie within a few feet of sea level. We
can’t pick them up and move them farther inland. We prepare for extreme
events — the drought of record, or the 100-year flood. What happens when
a stronger drought comes along, or much more frequent floods? When water
resources dry up, in many places there isn’t a new source to move on to;
it’s already taken. By assuming that the climate will continue to be
stable, we have built our vulnerability to climate change into the very
foundation of our infrastructure and socioeconomic systems...
- -
By following this train of thought, we arrive at a simple yet
potentially revolutionary understanding: Getting people to care about a
changing climate doesn’t require adopting “new” values. Gone is the
burden of inspiring people to “care” about deforestation and melting ice
caps. No need to teach them to hug a tree, respect a polar bear (hugging
not advisable), or throw themselves into land conservation. Most
remarkably, the implication of this new perspective is that imparting
urgency and concern is just a matter of showing people how to connect
the dots among the issues they already care about, and how those issues
are affected by — and in many cases are threatened by — a changing climate.

I’ve seen it work. I’ve watched people’s attitudes change, going from
flat denial of global warming to jumping into the fight to prepare for
it or even stop it. I’ve seen farmers talk about why they prefer wind
turbines to oil pump jacks. Water planners who work for an organization
that doesn’t officially acknowledge climate change have asked me for
future projections. And all this has happened in the most unlikely of
places — the place I call home...
- -
VI.
When I saw the polar bears in Churchill with Steven Amstrup, Hudson Bay
didn’t freeze until December. “The ice-free season is nearly a month
longer than it was three decades ago,” he said, which means the bears’
time to hunt and feed is considerably — and detrimentally — shorter.
There are many important research questions to answer. But, he said, we
know what we need to do to save the bears. If sea ice continues to
shrink, the bear population on Hudson Bay could be gone by the middle of
the century.

As the polar bears see their world changing around them, so do we, but
with one big difference: We have the capacity to recognize why this is
happening, how it’s affecting us, and how we can respond. Since the
Industrial Revolution, we have been conducting an unprecedented
experiment with our planet. We can’t guarantee a safe future if we don’t
bring it to a close. Now’s the time to pull the plug and finally heed
the warning scientists delivered to LBJ on that day in November 1965.

I traveled to Paris a few weeks after Hudson Bay to witness a very
different event — the world negotiating a plan to keep global warming
“well below” 2 degrees Celsius. Two degrees isn’t a magic number that
will avert all negative consequences, but it puts a limit on this
experiment we’ve been conducting inadvertently. The Paris Agreement on
climate change gives us a viable target, and 145 countries have ratified
it (though 41 of the original signers still need to do so).

The link between human warming of the world and polar bear welfare makes
these animals an iconic messenger for the risks of climate change, but
it’s one that’s entirely consistent with humans as messengers, too. Both
of our fates hinge on living in a safe, secure place that provides
access to the resources we need. This is why Amstrup and his team are so
focused on telling people about the threats posed by global warming and
what we can do about it. And this is why I’m so focused on communicating
the risks of a changing climate. Together, we confront both a challenge
and a hope. Although some impacts are inevitable, by acting now it’s
possible to save the polar bears — and ourselves.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/05/31/everyone-believes-in-global-warming-they-just-dont-realize-it/

/{ Ethics shakeup in trusted sources of information ]/
*‘Too greedy’: mass walkout at global science journal over ‘unethical’ fees*
Entire board resigns over actions of academic publisher whose profit
margins outstrip even Google and Amazon
Anna Fazackerley
Sun 7 May 2023
More than 40 leading scientists have resigned en masse from the
editorial board of a top science journal in protest at what they
describe as the “greed” of publishing giant Elsevier.

The entire academic board of the journal Neuroimage, including
professors from Oxford University, King’s College London and Cardiff
University resigned after Elsevier refused to reduce publication charges.

Academics around the world have applauded what many hope is the start of
a rebellion against the huge profit margins in academic publishing,
which outstrip those made by Apple, Google and Amazon...
- -
Meanwhile, university libraries are angry about the cost of the online
textbooks they say students now overwhelmingly want to read – often many
times more expensive than their paper equivalent. Professor Chris
Pressler, director of Manchester University Library, said: “We are
facing a sustained onslaught of exploitative price models in both
teaching and research.”

According to a spreadsheet of costs quoted to university librarians,
Manchester University gave a recent example of being quoted £75 for a
popular plant biology textbook in print, but £975 for a three-user ebook
licence. Meanwhile Learning to Read Mathematics in the Secondary School,
a textbook for trainee teachers published by Routledge, was £35.99 in
print and £560 for a single user ebook.

A spokesperson for Taylor and Francis, which owns Routledge, said: “We
strive to ensure that book prices are both affordable and a fair
representation of their value.” He said a print book could be checked
out for weeks at a time whereas ebooks could be checked in and out
rapidly and had a much wider distribution.

He added: “Academic publishers provide services that are essential to a
well-functioning research and scholarly communication ecosystem, and
most researchers recognise this is a valuable service worth paying for. “

Caroline Ball, librarian at Derby University and co-founder of the
academic campaign EbookSOS, said: “This is creating a digital hierarchy
of haves and have-nots. There are institutions that just can’t afford
these prices for texts.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/may/07/too-greedy-mass-walkout-at-global-science-journal-over-unethical-fees

/[  Population, the parallel predicament  ]/
*Matters of Population*
Climate Emergency Forum
May 7, 2023
Join Robin Maynard in a discussion with Dr. Peter Carter, Paul Beckwith
and Regina Valdez on ‘Matters of Population.’

This video was recorded on April 14th, 2023, and published on May 7th,
2023.
Some of the topics discussed:

    - How it is critical to talk about population, because without it we
    will not be able to enable our children to live that wonderful
    future that should be available to everybody, and we will not
    protect our environment and our ecosystems from collapse.
    - How, as of April 2023, India is on track to surpass the population
    of China.
    - How humanity has been an incredibly successful species and how
    we've overcome all sorts of challenges, not the least of which are
    sanitation, energy, warmth, shelter, modern medicine, leading to a
    surge in our population.
    - How according to the latest reports from the Worldwide Fund for
    Nature and the Zoological Society of London there has been a 69%
    decline in wild populations over the past 50 years.
    - How girls in the global North have the basic right of education
    however this hasn’t been the case for girls living in the global south.
    - How those living in the global North need to ease the burden on
    the planet by reducing their consumption.
    - How honouring the next generation is crucial but also we need to
    value human life in the future.
    - How humans generally fail to understand the concept of exponential
    growth.
    - and much more. . .

Links:

    - Population Matters https://populationmatters.org/

    - Bhopal Disaster https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

    - India to overtake China as world’s most populous country in April
    2023, United Nations projects
    https://www.un.org/en/desa/india-overtake-china-world-most-populous-country-april-2023-united-nations-projects

    - World Wildlife Fund for Nature https://www.worldwildlife.org/

    - The Zoological Society of London https://www.zsl.org/

    - Raffi Foundation - Child Honouring https://raffifoundation.org/

    - Domestic violence in India
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_violence_in_India

    - Minister says Canada needs more immigration as targets get mixed
    reviews
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sean-fraser-immigration-numbers-1.6712766

    - Dandelion Africa https://dandelionafrica.org/

    - Boys for Change http://dandelionafrica.net/boys-for-change-2/

    - Eco-Migration (CEF Video)

Special Guest:
Robin Maynard - Director of Population Matters - A longstanding and
passionate supporter of the population cause, Robin began his
environmental career more than 30 years ago, joining Friends of the
Earth as a volunteer just before the Chernobyl disaster. That grim event
led to his first paid job, tasked with tracking radioactive fall-out
across the UK and securing compensation for affected farmers.
Panelists:

    Dr. Peter Carter - MD, Expert IPCC Reviewer and the director of the
    Climate Emergency Institute

    Paul Beckwith - Climate Systems Scientist. Professor at the
    University of Ottawa in the Paleoclimatology Laboratory as well as
    at Carleton University

    Regina Valdez - Program Director, Climate Reality Project, NYC.
    GreenFaith Fellow and LEED Green Associate

    Video Production:
    Charles Gregoire - Electrical Engineer, Webmaster and IT prime for
    FacingFuture.Earth & the Climate Emergency Forum; Climate Reality
    Leader

    Heidi Brault - Video production and website assistant, Organizer and
    convener, Metadata technician, COP28 team lead for
    FacingFuture.Earth and the Climate Emergency Forum;  BA
    (Psychology); Climate Reality Leader

    Our Website: https://climateemergencyforum.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4tHjYa76Z0

/[  Arctic ice area shrinking ]/
APRIL 7, 2023
Editors' notes
*Arctic's peak ice cover has shrunk by an area larger than Egypt*
by Danielle Bochove, Bloomberg News
- -
The fact that the Arctic is warming much more quickly than the rest of
the planet is changing that temperature gradient. "If we do that, the
atmosphere has to respond, in one way or another," said Serreze.

Warmer, more open waters absorb heat that ice would reflect,
accelerating the melting process, and also mean bigger waves that cause
thermal and mechanical erosion of coastlines. Sea mammals that depend on
ice are losing their habitat. The livelihoods of Indigenous communities,
which hunt the animals and use the ice for transportation, are
threatened. "The question becomes what level of adaptability is there,"
said Serreze.
https://phys.org/news/2023-04-arctic-peak-ice-shrunk-area.html

- -

/[ one of the more popular informational videos -
https://youtu.be/BbE2TcaxgxY   ] /
*Sea Level Rise Seminar, 2022-10-18: Paul Winberry*
NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies
Nov 14, 2022  Sea Level Rise Seminars
Sea Level Rise Seminar, 2022-10-18:
Speaker: Paul Winberry (Central Washington University)
*
**Title:  Thwaites Eastern Ice Shelf: Ongoing Changes, Potential for
Breakup, and Implications*

    Abstract: Evolution of the Antarctic ice sheet is significantly
    influenced by processes occurring at both its margins, where it
    meets the ocean, and the subglacial environment. However, our
    understanding of processes and conditions at each of these locations
    remains incomplete, due in part to the significant challenge of
    observing each of these locations. In this presentation, I will
    highlight two recent studies that illustrate how geophysics can be
    used to illuminate processes occurring in each these environments.
    First, we will show an example of Antarctic iceberg calving
    generating seismic waves observable at great distances (up to 1000
    km). These waves can then be used to study the calving processes.
    Second, will report on a recent study revealing a dynamic
    groundwater system beneath an Antarctic ice stream and its potential
    impact on glacier sliding. Each of these examples highlight how
    geophysics is enabling the glaciological community to better
    understand Antarctica’s ice sheets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbE2TcaxgxY&list=PLpMmnV3HS7r1zEsdKRnKOpmhy7vaB2Bz1&index=8

https://youtu.be/BbE2TcaxgxY

/[ Goes around, comes around on a globe, where there are no corners, and
no exits.  ]/
*Denial Doesn’t Change Our Climate Reality: Earth Is Becoming a
Sacrifice Zone*
Communities that have contributed little to the climate crisis are
bearing its brunt — but nowhere on Earth is safe.
By JP Sottile, TRUTHOUT
Published May 7, 2023

Truthout is a vital news source and a living history of political
struggle. If you think our work is valuable, support us with a donation
of any size.

The people of Madagascar are suffering. Battered by two cyclones last
year, they’ve been fighting through a perfect storm of pandemic-related
food supply disruptions and climate-stoked damage to local agriculture.
That confluence was made worse by a two-year-long drought in the south,
which laid the groundwork for a terrible famine. And that was all before
Cyclone Freddy came calling this year… twice.

Although Freddy barely broke through the U.S. mainstream media’s
navel-gazing news bubble, the cyclone grew to become the most
“energetic” storm in recorded history. So energetic, in fact, that it
pummeled Madagascar, Malawi and Mozambique two separate times over the
course of 37 excruciating days, topping out at a Category 5 storm on
February 21, 2023. Then it literally grew “off the chart” the following
day. And that wasn’t even Freddy’s halfway point. Ultimately, the
swirling vortex incubated and recharged in an increasingly warmer Indian
Ocean, pouring its rain and destruction down on three nations that have
done almost nothing to earn the wrath of our carbon-polluted planet.

The situation is so dire in Madagascar that, as France 24 recently
reported, families are “forced to abandon or, worse still, sell their
children.” Gilles Grandclement, project manager for Médecins Sans
Frontières, says the organization’s staff has been approached by locals
looking to sell children in a desperate effort to feed themselves. The
government denied it, refusing to hear from locals who’ve been
approached by beleaguered parents or from those who’ve found or taken in
abandoned children. Their denial doesn’t change the reality. And the
reality is that the people of Madagascar are trapped in a climate
sacrifice zone.

*The Rise of Sacrifice Zones*
The term “sacrifice zone” is often associated with the urban decay and
economic desperation wrought by the profit-obsessed paradigm of
neoliberal economics. Based on the revelatory reporting of the
Philadelphia Inquirer’s Matt Katz in 2009, the hollowed-out city of
Camden, New Jersey, became the poster child for the concept of the
economic sacrifice zone. Camden’s well-documented plight was linked to
corporate America’s wholesale abandonment of the working class in favor
of cheaper labor and lax regulations overseas. Back home, many
Camdenites found themselves struggling to survive in an economic
sacrifice zone — a place where disempowered people pay the price for
other people’s cult-like devotion to the bottom line.

But the term “sacrifice zone” has a long, all-too trenchant history that
predates its more recent application. In fact, the concept has evolved
over time from a “livestock and land management concept” into a
“critical energy concept during the 1970s,” and then from an “Indigenous
political ecology concept in the 1980s” to an “environmental justice
concept in the 1990s.” That evolution is detailed by Ryan Juskus of
Princeton University’s Meadows Environmental Institute in an extensive
article published this year in the journal Environmental Humanities.
What emerged from the original term “sacrifice area” is, according to
Juskus, a “critical concept for opposing the human and environmental
costs of abstract collective projects like development, consumerism, and
militarism.”

In animal agriculture, “sacrifice areas” are natural spaces “sacrificed”
to the irreparable consequences of heavy grazing by hoofed animals that
trample the land and strip away the foliage, breaking down vital topsoil
in the process. It’s a given that those lands are lost to other uses.
That’s why areas decimated by topsoil-stripping herds of grazing animals
were dubbed “sacrifice areas” in a 1970 Bureau of Land Management report
cited by Juskus. And still today, you can find instructions on how to
“Construct a Sacrifice Area for Horse Operations” on the website for
Fairfax County, Virginia. In fact, there are dozens of resources
available to help animal agriculturists build sacrifice areas and, in
turn, “protect pastures” from the land-altering consequences of keeping
hoofed animals.

*Expanding the Zone*
The concept’s wider application was aptly spurred by the Energy Crisis
of 1973. Responding to an Arab-Israeli War-sparked OPEC embargo,
then-President Richard Nixon launched a coal-fired energy plan he called
“Project Independence.” This familiar-sounding push for “energy
independence” included building 1,000 nuclear plants, finishing the
Trans-Alaska Pipeline, reducing the speed limit to 55 mph and, most
controversially, converting oil-fueled plants to coal. It meant, notes
Juskus, that eastern-based coal companies heading to coal-rich western
states would be bringing destructive strip-mining practices with them.

This was quickly labeled “Appalachianization” by an alliance of
“ranchers, Native Americans, and environmentalists” and, Juskus
explains, “Don’t Appalachianize the West” quickly became “a rallying cry
that [sought] to prevent the energy companies from ravaging with strip
mines such coal-rich states as Montana and Wyoming,” writing them off as
“national sacrifice areas” where “little of the vast mineral wealth [is]
returned to the citizens.”

That same year, the National Research Council completed a report on the
rehabilitation of western coal lands, and its publication in 1974 firmly
established “sacrifice areas” as an energy concept by designating
coal-extracted lands as “national sacrifice areas,” essentially adapting
the agricultural concept to match the catastrophic reality of strip
mining. Writing a year later in The Washington Post, Helena
Huntington-Smith called the report’s use of “National Sacrifice Areas” a
“verbal bombshell” that was “seized upon by a people who felt themselves
being served up as ‘national sacrifices.’”

The metaphorical horse was out of the barn (or the fenced-in sacrifice
area) and it gained traction wherever lives and landscapes were trampled
by extractive, polluting and waste-intensive industries. From coal and
uranium mining on Native reservations in the ‘80s, to toxic industrial
pollution in predominantly Black neighborhoods in the ‘80s and ‘90s, the
concept of a “sacrifice area” or “zone” readily explained the brutal
logic of sacrificing the health, welfare and the lives of those living
on lands that, essentially, were written off to protect and/or enrich
others living on the equivalent of protected pastures.

Sadly, the concept has taken on a terrible new significance in the
carbon-polluted 2020s. Not only do we see traditional notions of
sacrifice zones still applied to people who live near oil drilling, next
to heavy industry or amid chemically treated agriculture, but almost
daily we see, as predicted by climate and oil company scientists alike,
the sacrifice zones being created by decades of flippantly burning
megatons of hydrocarbons.

The key difference is that our anthropomorphically altered climate
exacts its toll on a global scale. It’s not as simple as building a
fence to contain the damage, or locating a petrochemical plant in an
economically disempowered town. Instead, climate sacrifice zones emerge
within the context of an interdependent, macro-ecological system that
sustains everything we know. And that system is a closed system.
Externalities are a null concept. Much like the misnomer about throwing
“away” garbage, there is no “away” for climate pollution.

You can think of it like the conservation of energy. It’s a basic
principle of physics and chemistry stating that the “energy of a closed
system must remain constant,” and that energy “cannot be created or
destroyed, but it can be transferred and transformed” from one form to
another. That basic truth can also be applied to the sacrifices
connected to the closed system of climate change. The sacrifices we
refuse to make can “only be transformed or transferred” from one place
or person to another. Like plastic trash, carbon or methane doesn’t just
go “away” simply because we refuse to take responsibility for it.
*
**And therein lies the rub.*
Just as climate pollution is tallied daily and in the aggregate on the
Great Balance Sheet in the Sky, so too are the mounting costs of climate
pollution imposed daily and in the aggregate on “we humans,” regardless
of the relative contributions we make to the problem. And all too often
it seems to be imposed, or “transferred,” in spite of those
contributions, like the price currently being paid by low
carbon-emitting Madagascans. Or by Pakistanis who, despite producing one
of the world’s smallest per capita carbon footprints, still find
themselves wading through the hunger-inducing aftereffects of last
year’s climate-stoked deluge. Or by the Panamanian tribe that long lived
on an island free of cars and motorcycles, but is now forced to relocate
to the mainland to avoid being swallowed by the rapidly rising sea.
There are easily a dozen other countries like these that have
contributed little to the climate crisis, but now find themselves facing
a bleak near-term future of sacrifice for a problem they did not create.

*Zoned Out*
Meanwhile, politicians argue over the inherent “unfairness” of the U.S.
taking “unilateral” action on climate, while “communists” in Beijing
build coal-fired power plants with a capitalism-inspired impunity. These
callow protestations, though, wither under scrutiny. One obvious problem
with their argument is that China’s massive emissions are largely made
in America. The Chinese industrial juggernaut was built in no small part
to service the U.S. consumer market, and to serve the bottom lines of
U.S. corporations that have shown no compunction about exploiting cheap
Chinese labor and lax Chinese environmental regulations to feed their
ever-expanding profit margins. Frankly, it’s a serious ethical mistake
to predicate one’s bad behavior on the bad behavior of someone else. In
this case, it’s doubly fallacious to defiantly pump pollutants into the
atmosphere because China’s “getting away with it.” The bitter truth is
that nobody is getting away with anything.

It’s a fact highlighted by a recent Associated Press report. The author
consulted climate scientists after a terrifying winter of extreme
weather rocked the U.S., and it turns out that the same geography often
touted as an “exceptional” advantage also functions as a set of force
multipliers exacerbating the impact of climate change across North
America. Scientists say the U.S. is “getting hit by stronger, costlier,
more varied and frequent extreme weather than anywhere on the planet”
because “two oceans, the Gulf of Mexico, the Rocky Mountains, jutting
peninsulas like Florida, clashing storm fronts and the jet stream
combine to naturally brew the nastiest of weather.”

It’s a fact manifested in the recent growth of extreme weather events to
previously unseen proportions — from the barrage of “Atmospheric Rivers”
that slammed the West Coast to a tornado so big, its trail of
destruction across Mississippi could be seen from space. And then
there’s the state of Kentucky, which late last summer found itself
drowning in its own unique experience of becoming a climate sacrifice zone.
*
**In the Zone*
A full six months after “biblical floods” decimated eastern Kentucky,
The Washington Post detailed the continuing struggles of low-income
folks without “the means to repair damaged homes [or] obtain mortgages
or scrape together rent,” while others “are living in homes without
electricity or running water, doubling up with relatives, staying in
camping trailers or even tents.” Citing an analysis by the Ohio River
Valley Institute, the Post notes that “6 in 10 Kentucky families with
homes damaged in the floods have annual incomes of $30,000 or less” and,
in a preview of climate refugees to come, explains that some have simply
“moved away.” It also portends a replay of the much-feared
“Appalachianization” that catalyzed the evolution of the concept of
“sacrifice areas” in the first place.

To wit, Axios cited U.S. Census data which shows that “roughly 3.4
million Americans were displaced by a hurricane, flood or other disaster
event in 2022” and, per E&E News, approximately “16% of those displaced
never returned home — and 12% didn’t return for more than six months.”
For those that do return to rebuild, like a group of fire-displaced
Coloradans, progress rebuilding their homes correlated with household’s
income — the lower the income, the slower the rebuilding. And the kinds
of immediate relief from FEMA or HUD available to those fleeing a
“single disaster event” are not available to refugees who are “forced to
eventually leave an area following compounding pressures from a series
of climate-related hazards.”

Unfortunately, as Spectrum News 1 reported, Kentucky may find itself in
both categories simultaneously. Kentuckians not only face a cycle of
floods and “blistering temperatures, dryness and long dry spells,” but
the state’s sunbaked soils “can start shrinking, cracking and pulling
away from” home foundations and, in turn, lead not only to “thousands of
dollars of foundation damage,” but also “increase the pathways for radon
gas” to leak into homes.

Carcinogenic radon gas is a big issue in Kentucky. In a January 2023
story to mark “Radon Awareness Month,” WKYT talked to the University of
Kentucky’s Ellen Hahn, who pointed out that Kentucky leads “the nation
in new lung cancer cases, as well as death from lung cancer.” The story
noted that Kentucky’s “higher radon exposure” is due to “the nature of
our bedrock.” It’s a sad, “full-circle” moment for a state so deeply
associated with the sacrifice areas created by extracting hydrocarbons,
to now be mired in the sacrifice zone created by the burning of
hydrocarbons.

It’s also why connecting the dots on sacrifices being made today by
starving Madagascans or deluged Kentuckians is so crucial. Faced with
both the irrefutable science and the lived experience of human beings
drowning in or fleeing from climate sacrifice zones, the question of
climate pollution becomes far more than a problem of economics; it is a
matter of ethics.

If it were just a matter of economics, all we’d have to do is switch to
a new, shiny industrial infrastructure that purports to allow us to have
our cake and eat it with both hands while our self-driving electric
vehicles haul us into a carbon-neutral future. But in our hurry to find
one-for-one consumer replacements instead of making real sacrifices, we
run the risk of remaking the same mistakes that got us here in the first
place, thereby creating new sacrifice zones in places like Myanmar,
Guinea and the Democratic Republic of Congo as we busily build our own
protected pastures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCqDniAuZRM

/[The news archive - looking back at the year when CO2 levels passed 400 ]/
/*May 9, 2013*/
May 9, 2013: NOAA announces that the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere has
now passed 400 parts per million.

https://scripps.ucsd.edu/news/7992

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/11/science/earth/carbon-dioxide-level-passes-long-feared-milestone.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/historically-high-levels-of-carbon-dioxide-recorded-in-hawaii/

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

/ to explore the archive

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli