[✔️] November 3, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Faster than expected, In the Pipeline, Zero to Hero, 1.5 Goal, Polluter pays, West is burning, Preparing for the worst, 2010 Obama

Fri Nov 3 08:21:53 EDT 2023

/*November *//*3, 2023*/

/[ from most respected climate scientist James Hansen ]/
*New study warns climate is warming even faster than some think*
Andrew Freedman
A new study warns the Earth's climate is on track to warm significantly
more than shown by the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's
(IPCC) projections.

Driving the news: The paper, published Thursday in the peer-reviewed
journal Oxford Open Climate Change, is a synthesis of new and previous
discoveries across multiple fields. It is peppered with policy
prescriptions, unusual for a scientific paper.

The stark warning comes from ex-NASA scientist James Hansen, who is the
lead author of the report. In 1988, he famously and accurately warned
that human-caused warming would soon emerge from the background noise of
natural variability.
-- Why it matters: Should the paper's authors be proven correct this
time, the globe can expect more severe extreme weather events, species
losses and sea level rise than currently projected.

The paper lands as the planet endures its warmest year on record, with
sizzling new benchmarks set on land and sea. Each month since May has
set consecutive new milestones.
Yes, but: Hansen has long straddled the line between scientist and
activist. In the new paper, he recommends pursuing a range of policy
options, from putting a price on carbon to geoengineering.

In this study, he calls on climate scientists to embrace the
responsibilities medical professionals have to their patients. He argues
they have been too reticent and conservative to lay out the full
ramifications of warming.
"We are in the early phase of a climate emergency," Hansen writes.
What they found: The study finds that the warming resulting from
doubling carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere, also known as
equilibrium climate sensitivity, is higher than the current consensus view.

The authors calculated a total warming of 4.8°C (8.6°F) for a doubling
of CO2, above the IPCC's most recent estimate of 3°C (5.4°F), though not
discordant with some previously published work.
The paper finds that global warming has been accelerating since 2010 and
that this will soon become clear in the data. Specifically, it notes
that a warming rate of 0.18°C (0.32°F) per decade, recorded between
1970-2010, will spike to 0.27°C (0.48°F) per decade after 2010.
It concludes the quickening pace of warming is not well-handled by
computer models.
Between the lines: Climate scientist Zeke Hausfather, who was not
involved in the new study, told Axios that research varies on estimating
the amount of warming the world would see due to a doubling of CO2
concentrations.

He adds the new study's estimate is on the high side of previous research.
Hansen's findings also put forward that the planet's energy imbalance is
growing, with more and more heat trapped in Earth's atmosphere.
-- The intrigue: Hansen and his coauthors argue that immediate and deep
cuts in greenhouse gas emissions alone won't be sufficient to forestall
dangerous levels of climate change.

The paper opens the door to endorsing geoengineering, referred to as
"climate restoration" in the paper, for a short period of time. This
involves deliberately trying to counter warming's effects by modifying
the climate in other ways.

The other side: While there are indications that climate change has sped
up, some scientists disagree quite strongly with Hansen's findings.

Hausfather wrote this week that although the warming rate has clearly
sped up since the 1970s, it is within the range anticipated by climate
models.
Model simulations, he found, depict warming to be about 40% faster in
the 2015-2030 period, compared to 1970-2014.
What they're saying: Michael Mann, a climate researcher at the
University of Pennsylvania, told Axios via email that he doesn't believe
the authors "have made the case for any of the major claims...or that
climate models are getting this wrong."

He noted that ocean heat content, a key indicator of the planet's heat
budget, "shows a very steady, rather than accelerating, increase."
Yet Katharine Hayhoe, a climate researcher and chief scientist at the
Nature Conservancy, told Axios the study is an effective communications
tool, since it tells people not only how serious things are, but also
some possible solutions.

She noted reservations about his endorsement of solar radiation
management, a geoengineering technique that could decrease the amount of
solar radiation coming into the atmosphere.
The bottom line: "The fact that he puts the solutions right there in the
abstract is actually exactly what needs to be done psychologically in
the way that we communicate about climate change," Hayhoe said in an
interview.

"If we tell people how bad it is, which it is, but we don't tell people
what to do about it, then you can have the whole world worried and
nothing will happen
https://www.axios.com/2023/11/02/climate-change-warming-james-hansen

- -

/[ research paper from _Oxford Open Climate Change_  ]/
*Global warming in the pipeline *
James E Hansen, Makiko Sato, Leon Simons, Larissa S Nazarenko, Isabelle
Sangha, Pushker Kharecha, James C Zachos, Karina von Schuckmann, Norman
G Loeb, Matthew B Osman ...
Oxford Open Climate Change, Volume 3, Issue 1, 2023,
...https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfclm/kgad008
Published: 02 November 2023

    *Abstract*
    Improved knowledge of glacial-to-interglacial global temperature
    change yields Charney (fast-feedback) equilibrium climate
    sensitivity 1.2 ± 0.3°C (2σ) per W/m2, which is 4.8°C ± 1.2°C for
    doubled CO2. Consistent analysis of temperature over the full
    Cenozoic era—including ‘slow’ feedbacks by ice sheets and trace
    gases—supports this sensitivity and implies that CO2 was 300–350 ppm
    in the Pliocene and about 450 ppm at transition to a nearly ice-free
    planet, exposing unrealistic lethargy of ice sheet models.
    Equilibrium global warming for today’s GHG amount is 10°C, which is
    reduced to 8°C by today’s human-made aerosols. Equilibrium warming
    is not ‘committed’ warming; rapid phaseout of GHG emissions would
    prevent most equilibrium warming from occurring. However, decline of
    aerosol emissions since 2010 should increase the 1970–2010 global
    warming rate of 0.18°C per decade to a post-2010 rate of at least
    0.27°C per decade. Thus, under the present geopolitical approach to
    GHG emissions, global warming will exceed 1.5°C in the 2020s and 2°C
    before 2050. Impacts on people and nature will accelerate as global
    warming increases hydrologic (weather) extremes. The enormity of
    consequences demands a return to Holocene-level global temperature.
    Required actions include: (1) a global increasing price on GHG
    emissions accompanied by development of abundant, affordable,
    dispatchable clean energy, (2) East-West cooperation in a way that
    accommodates developing world needs, and (3) intervention with
    Earth’s radiation imbalance to phase down today’s massive human-made
    ‘geo-transformation’ of Earth’s climate. Current political crises
    present an opportunity for reset, especially if young people can
    grasp their situation.

https://academic.oup.com/oocc/article/3/1/kgad008/7335889?login=false

/[ Everybody, needs to do everything, all at once ]/
*Zero to Hero? Achieving Net Zero Emissions*
ClimateAdam
Nov 2, 2023  #ClimateChange #climatecrisis #netzero
To stop the world from heating, and halt climate change, we need net
zero. But how? How could we get humanity's overall emissions to zero?
And is this global warming goal just a pipe dream? Now the International
Energy Agency (IEA) have highlighted a plan to get there by 2050, with
the goal of limiting warming to 1.5 degrees. So what does the plan look
like... and could it actually work?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PASLkAkHrU

- -

/[ Here is the report ]/
*Net Zero Roadmap: A Global Pathway to Keep the 1.5 °C Goal in Reach*
In 2021, the IEA published its landmark report, Net Zero by 2050: A
Roadmap for the Global Energy Sector. Since then, the energy sector has
seen major shifts. Based on the latest data on technologies, markets and
policies, this report presents an updated version of the Net Zero
Emissions by 2050 (NZE) Scenario; a pathway, but not the only one, for
the energy sector to achieve net zero CO2 emissions by 2050 and play its
part, as the largest source of greenhouse gas emissions, in achieving
the 1.5 °C goal...
https://www.iea.org/reports/net-zero-roadmap-a-global-pathway-to-keep-the-15-0c-goal-in-reach/executive-summary

/[ "Polluter pays" - 60 second statement - video ]/
*They are making profits by killing people - it is as simple as that!
*Nick Breeze ClimateGenn
  Nov 2, 2023
“They’re making profits by killing people, it’s as simple as as that!”
Professor Saleemul Huq, speaking about fossil fuel companies at COP23.
https://genn.cc/dr-saleemul-huq-cop23/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VYuGBW7--s

/[ video overview ]
/*The West is Burning - Feature Documentary*
Landmark Stories
  Sep 11, 2021  #environmentalstudies #climatechange2021
#climatechangedocumentary
The West is Burning raises awareness about the conditions of forests in
the western U.S. Told through a full-feature documentary, we examine the
history of forest management and litigation that led to the current
conditions which are causing catastrophic fire nearly year-round. The
film explores the urgent need to act now, and the potential to generate
positive change in our forests, watersheds, and communities, both rural
and urban.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km6azKlFTTQ/

/[ short video, simple attitude advice, yes I will...thank you ]/
*How to Prepare for the Worst*
The School of Life
Nov 1, 2023
We tend to get very attached to plan As. We’ll get married, move into a
house near the park, work in financial services, pivot into philanthropy
and then end up in a cottage by the sea painting and looking after our
grandchildren. Or we’ll become a famous actor, play in a selection of
thoughtful dramas about the inner life and in time move into production
or, perhaps, mentorship.
Sign up to our mailing list to receive 10% off your first order with us:
https://r1.dotdigital-pages.com/p/6TU...
For books and more from The School of Life, visit our online shop:
https://b4f4.short.gy/yDwrR6
​​For Psychotherapy and other therapeutic services:
https://b4f4.short.gy/4baEnD
If you want to keep working on your mental well-being and
self-understanding, download our hugely helpful new app now:
https://b4f4.short.gy/J7Iu6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L6VqVoO7ng

/[The news archive - President Obama ]/
/*November 3, 2010 */
November 3, 2010: In a post-midterm election press conference, President
Obama states:
"With respect to the EPA, I think the smartest thing for us to do is to
see if we can get Democrats and Republicans in a room who are serious
about energy independence and are serious about keeping our air clean
and our water clean and dealing with the issue of greenhouse gases --
and seeing are there ways that we can make progress in the short term
and invest in technologies in the long term that start giving us the
tools to reduce greenhouse gases and solve this problem.

"The EPA is under a court order that says greenhouse gases are a
pollutant that fall under their jurisdiction. And I think one of the
things that's very important for me is not to have us ignore the
science, but rather to find ways that we can solve these problems that
don’t hurt the economy, that encourage the development of clean energy
in this country, that, in fact, may give us opportunities to create
entire new industries and create jobs that -- and that put us in a
competitive posture around the world.

  "So I think it’s too early to say whether or not we can make some
progress on that front.  I think we can.  Cap and trade was just one way
of skinning the cat; it was not the only way.  It was a means, not an
end.  And I’m going to be looking for other means to address this problem.

  "And I think EPA wants help from the legislature on this.  I don’t
think that the desire is to somehow be protective of their powers here.
I think what they want to do is make sure that the issue is being dealt
with."

(35:15-38:48)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4F8e2Cye08

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli