[✔️] November 24, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Face the music, Prepare for COP. Flood videos, Taylor Swift concert planning, 2014 past pledges

Fri Nov 24 07:22:02 EST 2023

/*November *//*24, 2023*/

/[ Face the music  - get some agency  - from CarbonBrief ]/
*How to tackle your inner climate denier*
Simon Kuper, Financial Times
The FT’s Simon Kuper says that, “like many others, my instinctive
response is to change the subject, but collectively that has to change”.
He continues: “I understood the ‘new climate denial’ only after hearing
a talk about it by Wolfgang Blau, head of the global climate hub at the
consultancy Brunswick. Most of us practise the new denial. We’ll
activate it next week during [COP28], which will achieve almost nothing
and be overshadowed by wars and nonsense. But saving my daughter’s
generation will require ditching denial. Blau, speaking at the recent
Faith Angle Europe conference, suggested how to do that…We made a
civilisational blunder. Correcting it will require huge collective
effort now. To help people understand this, Blau recommends learning to
see ourselves ‘as a comparatively young species, as mostly
well-intentioned highly gifted kids, who compared to most species have
just arrived, and are still learning to live here without breaking
things’. Then, he says, people need to know we can combat climate
change. In other words, we need a sense of agency.”

https://www.ft.com/

https://preview.mailerlite.io/emails/webview/249617/105714993745364624

/[  Preparing for COP ]/
*Bad science and good intentions prevent effective climate action: The
Urgent Case for SRM*
Paul Beckwith
Nov 23, 2023
A crucial paper preprint was just released by Peter Wadham’s and his
colleagues making a very strong case for the vital, absolute necessity
of studying, scaling, and deployment of Solar Radiation Management (SRM).

The IPCC and the policymakers and governments around the world have left
it too long, and climate catastrophe is now upon us.

Slashing fossil fuels, and deploying and scaling Carbon Dioxide Removal
(CDR) is absolutely necessary, but no longer sufficient to avoid climate
catastrophe.

It is now imperative that we add SRM at scale to our climate mitigation
toolkit.

The paper refers to SRM as climate cooling interventions, or just
interventions, but really it is referring to what many people call Solar
Radiation Management.

We simply have no other choice.

We either perish on this planet from abrupt climate system mayhem, or
study the heck out of and throw vast amounts of money into
scientifically assessing and then deploying all the possible SRM ideas
in order to preserve human society on this planet.

We have no other options, at this stage. Climate change warming and
disruption is accelerating “like a bat out of hell”.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz7BQojvjdU

/[  Unable to validate the sources of this 8 min video - the YouTube
channel is 3 weeks old  ]/
*Biblical rainfall floods China! Scenes of chaos shock the World!*
KN News
  Nov 23, 2023  ГУАНДУН
Record levels of precipitation are also observed in Guangdong province.
Extreme weather has brought chaos to the nearby Chinese city of Shenzhen.
It is a technology hub with a population of over 17.7 million people.
In Shenzhen, precipitation intensity exceeded historical maximums on record.
465mm of rain fell in 12 hours, the most since records began in 1952.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brobuGT75OY

/[ DW reports - Health  Brazil ]/
*Death at Taylor Swift concert: How organizers deal with heat*
Jan D. Walter
November 22, 2023
After the death of a 23-year-old woman in Brazil, DW looks at how
organizers of large events handle extreme heat and supply water.
*Is it right to point the finger at the organizers?*
Asked about whether blame should be attributed to the organizers, two
experts warned against jumping to hasty conclusions. The exact
circumstances are difficult to determine from a distance, they told DW
- -
However, supplying 60,000 fans with water is no mean feat, according to
Sven Hansens. "The necessary quantities are also frequently
underestimated in Europe," the managing director of Event Safety Consult
and deputy chairman of the German Event Safety Association said.

One must also bear in the mind the potential behavior of concert-goers.
"If a young fan has struggled to get a ticket, queued for hours and
somehow manages to get a spot right at the front, they might disregard
their basic needs in order to hold on to that spot," Hansen said.
*Is global warming changing event planning?*
"We no longer organize open air events without meteorologists," Hansen
said. This way, large event planners make certain decisions before but
also during the event.

"Up until now, the biggest issue in this regard has been the risk of
thunderstorms," says the expert. It is common practice for event
organizers to insure themselves against financial losses in case an
event must be cancelled.

But these days, other forms of extreme weather are relevant too.
Organizers also consider the risk that excessively hot weather or strong
UV radiation could end events early.
"In summer, it's relatively normal for events with tens of thousands of
visitors to have a three-digit number of first-aid situations. That
includes everything from dehydration and heatstroke to insect bites and
so on," he said.

At Taylor Swift's concert in Rio de Janeiro on Friday, the fire
department registered more than 1,000 cases of fainting among the 60,000
attendees.

Swift's second concert in Rio had been planned for Saturday but the
organizers shifted the show to Monday, when temperatures were expected
to be (and indeed were) significantly lower. A court has also ordered
that water containers be allowed at the singer's next three upcoming
concerts in Sao Paulo and that a supply of drinking water must be ensured.
https://www.dw.com/en/death-at-taylor-swift-concert-how-event-organizers-deal-with-heat/a-67515111

/[The news archive - fairly recent  ]/
/*November 24, 2014*/
October 24, 2014: The New York Times reports:

    "The 28 leaders of the European Union agreed early on Friday on
    targets for protecting the climate and generating greener power
    despite deep divisions among their nations over how to produce energy.

    "The main target that won approval was a pledge to slash emissions
    by at least 40 percent, compared with 1990 levels, by 2030."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/24/world/europe/european-leaders-agree-on-targets-to-fight-climate-change-.html

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/10/24/3584121/european-union-deal-40-percent/

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/eu-climate-deal-2030-18228

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli