[✔️] October 25, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Scientists dire collapse, Big oil planning to survive, Grim vital signs, Newsom spreading his gospel, Risc investments, 2013 Superstorm Sandy

Wed Oct 25 10:23:34 EDT 2023

/*October *//*25, 2023*/

/[ today's headline rings familiar ]
/*15,000 Scientists Warn Society Could 'Collapse' This Century In Dire
Climate Report
*"We are afraid of the uncharted territory that we have now entered.”
By Becky Ferreira
October 24, 2023

Scientists are warning that we are now in “uncharted territory” as a
result of human-driven climate change in a new “state of the climate”
report that was signed by 15,000 researchers from 163 countries.

Researchers emphasized the current suffering caused by record-breaking
climate extremes and raised alarms about the possibility of widespread
societal and ecological collapse in the future, while also decrying
recent increases in subsidies to the fossil fuel industry, which is the
primary driver of climate change.

The 2023 report, published on Tuesday in the journal BioScience, is the
latest update in an annual series called World Scientists Warning of a
Climate Emergency. Since 2019, scientists have been tracking escalating
threats that warming global temperatures present to humans and
ecosystems around the world.

The new report, led by Oregon State University ecologist William Ripple,
warns that 2023 was a particularly devastating year of extreme
wildfires, floods, heatwaves, and other natural disasters that are
amplified by climate change. The authors suggest that temperatures this
past July may well have been the warmest on Earth over the past 100,000
years, which they called “a sign that we are pushing our planetary
systems into dangerous instability.”

“As scientists, we are increasingly being asked to tell the public the
truth about the crises we face in simple and direct terms,” Ripple and
his colleagues wrote in the report. “The truth is that we are shocked by
the ferocity of the extreme weather events in 2023. We are afraid of the
uncharted territory that we have now entered.”

“Global daily mean temperatures never exceeded 1.5-degree Celsius (°C)
above pre-industrial levels prior to 2000 and have only occasionally
exceeded that number since then,” the researchers noted. “However, 2023
has already seen 38 days with global average temperatures above 1.5°C by
12 September—more than any other year—and the total may continue to rise.”
The authors have spent years monitoring 35 of Earth’s “vital signs,”
such as global tree cover, greenhouse gas concentrations, ocean
temperatures, and populations of humans and livestock. The new report
cautions that 20 of those signs are now at record extremes, which is up
from 16 in 2022.

Ripple’s team noted that natural effects, such as the El Niño weather
pattern and the 2022 eruption of an underwater volcano, were a factor in
the record-smashing climate extremes this year. However, the researchers
stressed that human-driven climate change is exacerbating many of these
natural processes in ways that will generate more frequent and
catastrophic anomalies in the coming decades.

The report includes a section entitled “Untold Human Suffering in
Pictures” that offers a powerful visual accounting of people
experiencing climate-related disasters over the past several years. The
people who are most vulnerable to the effects of climate change tend to
live in less wealthy nations that have contributed the least to global
greenhouse gas emissions, highlighting the need for environmental
justice movements.

“In 2023, climate change likely contributed to a number of major extreme
weather events and disasters,” the researchers wrote, referencing deadly
floods in China and India, a devastating storm in Libya that killed
thousands of people, and heat-waves around the world. “As these impacts
continue to accelerate, more funding to compensate for climate-related
loss and damage in developing countries is urgently needed.”

“The effects of global warming are progressively more severe, and
possibilities such as a worldwide societal breakdown are feasible and
dangerously underexplored,” the team warned. “By the end of this
century, an estimated 3 to 6 billion individuals—approximately one-third
to one-half of the global population—might find themselves confined
beyond the livable region, encountering severe heat, limited food
availability, and elevated mortality rates because of the effects of
climate change.”

“We warn of potential collapse of natural and socioeconomic systems in
such a world where we will face unbearable heat, frequent extreme
weather events, food and fresh water shortages, rising seas, more
emerging diseases, and increased social unrest and geopolitical
conflict,” the researchers said.

It’s natural to feel overwhelmed by the enormity of the challenge
presented by climate change, but Ripple and his colleagues offer several
solutions to avoid the worst possible outcomes. Of course, the team
urged the global community to rapidly transition from the use of fossil
fuels, even in the face of major geopolitical obstacles, such as
Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

The researchers also advocated that more resources be allocated to fight
climate-related food insecurity and to promote gender equality, as these
efforts will reduce the lopsided exposure of more vulnerable communities
to climate disasters around the world. The team also argued that key
climate tipping points require constant attention due to the “the
possible but less likely scenario of runaway or apocalyptic climate
change,” according to the report.

Last, and perhaps most importantly, the report said that human societies
will also need to undergo a mindset shift from the traditional focus on
economic growth over all other metrics.

“To address the overexploitation of our planet, we challenge the
prevailing notion of endless growth and overconsumption by rich
countries and individuals as unsustainable and unjust,” the team wrote.
“Instead, we advocate for reducing resource overconsumption; reducing,
reusing, and recycling waste in a more circular economy; and
prioritizing human flourishing and sustainability.”

“As we will soon bear witness to failing to meet the Paris agreement’s
aspirational 1.5°C goal, the significance of immediately curbing fossil
fuel use and preventing every further 0.1°C increase in future global
heating cannot be overstated,” the researchers concluded. “Rather than
focusing only on carbon reduction and climate change, addressing the
underlying issue of ecological overshoot will give us our best shot at
surviving these challenges in the long run. This is our moment to make a
profound difference for all life on Earth, and we must embrace it with
unwavering courage and determination to create a legacy of change that
will stand the test of time.”
https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kxdxa/1500-scientists-warn-society-could-collapse-this-century-in-dire-climate-report

/[Long term strategy for business survival amidst fears of a climate
calamity lurk in Big Oil's big deals - AXIOS ]
/Oct 24, 2023 - Energy & Environment
*Fears of a climate calamity lurk in Big oil's big deal
*Andrew Freedman

*Two mega oil mergers,* combined with other recent industry moves,
threaten to prolong high amounts of greenhouse gas emissions and
endanger Paris climate targets, climate activists warn.

*Why it matters:* Chevron's $53 billion purchase of Hess announced on
Monday — along with ExxonMobil's deal with Pioneer Natural Resources —
signals that oil and gas firms foresee robust fossil fuel demand into
the 2030s, despite government moves to slash greenhouse gas emissions
and boost renewable energy.
*
Zoom in:* Climate activists have criticized both deals as doubling down
on harmful energy sources.

  * If regulators bless the deal, the Hess merger will boost Chevron's
    oil and gas production and give it a stake in important
    international plays.
  * Chevron said the merged firm "is expected to grow production and
    free cash flow faster and for longer than Chevron's current
    five-year guidance."
  * Exxon's purchase would also boost its oil and gas production.

*Threat level: *Boosting oil and gas production, while viewed as a
national security imperative, is inconsistent with steps climate
scientists argue are necessary to meet the Paris Agreement's temperature
targets.

  * For example, to meet the more ambitious target of holding climate
    change to 1.5°C (2.7°F) above pre-industrial levels through 2100,
    global emissions would have to decline by about 43% below 2019
    levels by 2030.
  * Such cuts are nowhere near reality at the moment.
  * Meanwhile, the likelihood of climate-related "tipping points" like
    destabilized global ice sheets, along with worsening extreme weather
    events, become far more likely, studies show.

*Between the lines: *According to Rapidan Energy Group founder and
president Bob McNally, the deals demonstrate oil and gas leaders'
rejection of the view that climate policies are about to cause oil
demand to peak.

  * "These mergers are more powerful manifestations of similar recent
    moves by BP and Shell to walk back their plans to reduce upstream
    investment drastically," McNally told Axios in an email.
  * "Since late 2021, industry investment and politics have shifted away
    from keep-it-in-the-ground and back to all-of-the-above," he said.
  * "These moves and the dial-back on decarbonization momentum generally
    deeply alarms climate groups."

*What they're saying:* "Big oil needs to change or Paris will fail.
That's a decision for shareholders," Mark van Baal, the founder of
Follow This, an activist shareholder movement, said in a statement.

  * He pointed to risks for Chevron in this deal, including falling
    costs of renewables; increasingly stringent climate policies like
    those recently adopted in California; and legal proceedings that
    could hold some fossil fuel companies accountable for their role in
    climate change.

*The intrigue: *There are likely to be additional fossil fuel mergers
and acquisitions to come, experts told Axios. The result may be fewer
(and bigger) companies better able to withstand oil price fluctuations.

  * "The companies see persistent global hydrocarbon demand in the short
    term and consider the transition to lower-carbon sources as a
    decades-long process, with hydrocarbons remaining a vital piece of
    the global economy through the end of the century," said Shon Hiatt,
    director of the Business of Energy Transition Initiative at the USC
    Marshall School of Business, told Axios via email.
  * "Consolidation serves as a safeguard against declining consumption
    when peak hydrocarbon demand eventually materializes," he said,
    while noting that Chevron and Exxon are diversifying "into energy
    transition areas that build upon their expertise."
  * These include lithium extraction, hydrogen, carbon capture and
    sequestration and geothermal technologies.
    Meanwhile, European oil majors are leaning into the energy
    transition more, venturing farther afield into wind and solar power.

*What's next:* Ensuring emissions cuts before 2030 will be a driving
goal for the upcoming UN Climate Summit in Dubai starting late next month.

  * The two oil megadeals will form part of the summit backdrop, with
    oil and gas firms officially invited to the confab to an
    unprecedented degree.

*Yes, but: *Incoming COP28 president Sultan Ahmed al-Jaber has said he
expects oil and gas leaders to come to the summit with concrete
commitments to help the world meet its Paris goals.

  * It's unclear if these mergers would qualify.

https://www.axios.com/2023/10/24/chevron-exxon-deals-climate-change

/[ who is surprised? ]/
*Earth’s ‘vital signs’ worse than at any time in human history,
scientists warn*
Life on planet is in peril, say climate experts, as they call for a
rapid and just transition to a sustainable future
Damian Carrington Environment editor
@dpcarrington
Tue 24 Oct 2023
Earth’s “vital signs” are worse than at any time in human history, an
international team of scientists has warned, meaning life on the planet
is in peril.

Their report found that 20 of the 35 planetary vital signs they use to
track the climate crisis are at record extremes. As well as greenhouse
gas emissions, global temperature and sea level rise, the indicators
also include human and livestock population numbers.

Many climate records were broken by enormous margins in 2023, including
global air temperature, ocean temperature and Antarctic sea ice extent,
the researchers said. The highest monthly surface temperature ever
recorded was in July and was probably the hottest the planet has been in
100,000 years.

The scientists also highlighted an extraordinary wildfire season in
Canada that produced unprecedented carbon dioxide emissions. These
totalled 1bn tonnes of CO2, equivalent to the entire annual output of
Japan, the world’s fifth biggest polluter. They said the huge area
burned could indicate a tipping point into a new fire regime.

The researchers urged a transition to a global economy that prioritised
human wellbeing and cut the overconsumption and excessive emissions of
the rich. The top 10% of emitters were responsible for almost 50% of
global emissions in 2019, they said.

Dr Christopher Wolf, at Oregon State University (OSU) in the US and a
lead author of the report, said: “Without actions that address the root
problem of humanity taking more from Earth than it can safely give,
we’re on our way to the potential collapse of natural and socioeconomic
systems and a world with unbearable heat and shortages of food and
freshwater.

“By 2100, as many as 3 billion to 6 billion people may find themselves
outside Earth’s livable regions, meaning they will be encountering
severe heat, limited food availability and elevated mortality rates.”

Prof William Ripple, also at OSU, said: “Life on our planet is clearly
under siege. The statistical trends show deeply alarming patterns of
climate-related variables and disasters. We also found little progress
to report as far as humanity combating climate change.

“Our goal is to communicate climate facts and make policy
recommendations. It is a moral duty of scientists and our institutions
to alert humanity of any potential existential threat and to show
leadership in taking action.”

The analysis, published in the journal Bioscience, is an update of a
2019 report that has been endorsed by 15,000 scientists.

“For several decades, scientists have consistently warned of a future
marked by extreme climatic conditions caused by ongoing human
activities,” the report says. “Unfortunately, time is up … we are
pushing our planetary systems into dangerous instability.”

Prof Tim Lenton, at the University of Exeter in the UK, the co-author,
said: “These record extremes are alarming in themselves, and they are
also in danger of triggering tipping points that could do irreversible
damage and further accelerate climate change.

“Our best hope to prevent a cascade of climate tipping points is to
identify and trigger positive tipping points in our societies and
economies, to ensure a rapid and just transition to a sustainable future.”
The report highlighted severe flooding in China and India, extreme
heatwaves in the US and an exceptionally intense Mediterranean storm led
to the deaths of thousands of people in Libya.

The report said that by mid-September, there had been 38 days with
global average temperatures more than 1.5C above pre-industrial levels,
which is the world’s long-term goal for limiting the climate crisis.
Until this year, such days were a rarity, the researchers said.

Other policies recommended by the scientists included phasing out fossil
fuel subsidies, ramping up forest protection, a shift towards
plant-based diets in wealthy countries and adopting international
treaties to end new coal projects and phase out oil and gas.

“We also call to stabilise and gradually decrease the human population
with gender justice through voluntary family planning and by supporting
women’s and girls’ education and rights, which reduces fertility rates,”
they said.

“Big problems need big solutions. Therefore, we must shift our
perspective on the climate emergency from being just an isolated
environmental issue to a systemic, existential threat. Although global
heating is devastating, it represents only one aspect of the escalating
and interconnected environmental crisis that we are facing – eg,
biodiversity loss, fresh water scarcity, and pandemics.”

Dr Glen Peters, at the Global Carbon Project, said recently that the
preliminary estimate for global CO2 emissions in 2023 was a rise of 1%
to yet another record. Global emissions must fall by 45% to have a good
chance of staying under 1.5C of heating.
In September, a different analysis of the Earth system using nine
planetary boundaries concluded that this planet’s life support systems
had been so damaged that Earth was “well outside the safe operating
space for humanity”. The planetary boundaries are the limits of key
global systems – such as climate, water and wildlife diversity – beyond
which their ability to maintain a healthy planet is in danger of failing.
     -
https://apps.crossref.org/pendingpub/pendingpub.html?doi=10.1093%2Fbiosci%2Fbiad080
     - https://doi.org/10.1093/biosci/biad080

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/24/earth-vital-signs-human-history-scientists-sustainable-future

/[NYT clips “We are rebuilding the plane while we’re flying it,” ]/
*Gavin Newsom Wants to Export California’s Climate Laws to the World*
The Democratic governor is supercharging climate policy and eyeing a
future White House run. But critics say some of his constituents could
be left behind.
By Coral Davenport
Oct. 23, 2023
Gavin Newsom, the California governor, packed his bags and his ambition
Monday and flew to Chinese provinces on a weeklong mission to negotiate
climate agreements.

Last month, he was the only American invited to address the United
Nations about climate change, where he excoriated the fossil fuel
industry for what he called its decades of “deceit and denial.”

He has signed a raft of laws and regulations to speed the nation’s most
populous state away from fossil fuels, including a ban on the sale of
new gas-powered cars by 2035 and a mandate to stop adding carbon dioxide
to the atmosphere by 2045. He wants to end oil drilling in his state, a
major oil producer, also by 2045.

The two-term Democratic governor wants California to set an aggressive
pace for the nation — and the world — as time is running out to deeply
cut the carbon emissions that are dangerously heating the planet. Mr.
Newsom’s bold moves on climate have elevated his national profile, just
as he is widely believed to be preparing for a White House run in 2028.

“We move the needle for the country and, as a consequence, for the
globe,” Mr. Newsom said in a telephone interview Sunday night from Hong
Kong. “And that is profound.”

Critics warn that some of Mr. Newsom’s climate policies are so ambitious
as to be unrealistic, making them impossible to scale on a national or
global level. Worse, they say, his headlong pursuit of his goals could
disrupt California’s energy supplies, hike electric rates and devastate
communities that depend on gas and oil drilling.

“The Newsom administration has been pushing harder and faster on a
climate policy process that was already in place,” said David Victor,
co-director of the Deep Decarbonization Initiative at the University of
California San Diego. “The challenge is how hard and fast can you push
the system ‘til it breaks?”

Mr. Newsom said that technological changes in the way the United States
produces and uses energy are happening so fast, that it makes sense to
set ambitious targets. “The breakthroughs that are coming in the next
few years will blow past the paradigm of limited thinking we have
today,” he said. “We have proven again and again that through policy we
can accelerate innovation.”
In China this week, Mr. Newsom plans to sign five agreements with
leaders of Chinese provinces aimed in part at exporting some of
California’s climate policies and technologies.
- -
Mr. Newsom’s posture as a climate warrior would seem to help him in
2028, when Gen Z and millennial voters will dominate the electorate,
said Celinda Lake, a Democratic pollster and political strategist...
- -
Mr. Newsom joins earlier California governors who pushed the state to
the vanguard of climate policy, including Jerry Brown, a Democrat who
promoted rooftop solar and later traveled to China to talk climate
policy with president Xi Jinping, and Arnold Schwarzenegger, a
Republican who helped craft the nation’s first major law to require cuts
in greenhouse gasses and developed tailpipe emissions regulations that
became a national model.

But Mr. Newsom, 56, has seized the climate mantle and made it his own.
On top of the mandates to end emissions and compel sales of electric
vehicles, he pushed California legislators to approve a record $52
billion in climate spending. Earlier this month, he signed a
first-in-the nation law that would require major companies to publicly
disclose all their greenhouse emissions.

And his administration is suing the world’s largest oil companies for
the climate damages linked to their products. In addition, California
has nearly stopped issuing new permits for oil and gas drilling. And it
has created an agency to monitor oil companies for price-gouging or
other illegal activities.
- -
The governor has less empathy for the multinational oil companies he is
suing, including Chevron, which is headquartered in his state...
“Yes, I use their product,” he said. “And yes, I flew over here. And
yes, I’m in a car that uses gas. I’m not stupid. I’m not naïve. I didn’t
walk here in my organic moccasins. But nor am I naïve about their deceit
and their denial and as a consequence of the delay and how that’s
literally accelerating the destruction of our planet.”
“Well, we’ve got work to do,” Mr. Newsom said on Sunday. “The work is
exciting. You ain’t seen nothing yet. We got work to do and every year
we iterate.”

After the California legislature passed a landmark bill last month
requiring large companies to disclose all their greenhouse gas
emissions, Mr. Newsom appended an unusual note to his signature on it,
noting that the deadlines are “likely infeasible” and asking legislators
to work on a new law to modify it.

And in an acknowledgment that the state may not be able to produce
renewable electricity fast enough to replace its old polluting power
sources, Mr. Newsom wants regulators to extend the life of Diablo
Canyon, the state’s sole nuclear power plant, for another 20 years. The
plant, which supplies about 9 percent of the state’s electricity without
emitting greenhouse gasses, is scheduled to close in 2025.

“Before I got elected I never heard of cleanup legislation,” said Mr.
Fong. “His argument is, this will have costs but we’ll clean it up
later. That’s not how you make economic and energy policy for 40 million
people.”

One area in which California appears to be zooming ahead to meet its
climate targets is in the adoption of all-electric vehicles.

In the second quarter of 2023, 25 percent of new cars sold in the state
were electric (compared with 7 percent nationally), putting California
on track to meet Mr. Newsom’s mandate that by 2035, every new car sold
in the state will be electric.

Charging stations are moving even faster. The state has already met the
governor’s goal of installing 10,000 fast-charging public stations by 2025.

“California is blowing these targets out of the water,” said Sara
Rafalson, a vice president at EVgo, an Los Angeles-based charging
company, who credits Mr. Newsom for the work.

But as the E.V. network spreads, utilities are facing a challenge: how
to supply the additional electricity required.

A report by Southern California Edison, one of the state’s largest
electric utilities, found that meeting Mr. Newsom’s climate mandates
would cause demand for electricity to spike by more than 80 percent,
primarily because of electric vehicles. That rising demand comes as
utilities would be required to rapidly slash their greenhouse emissions.

To meet Mr. Newsom’s climate goals, Southern California Edison would
need to invest heavily in wind and solar energy while erecting
transmission lines and towers four times faster than it does now and
building smaller distribution lines 10 times faster. And it would need
to keep that pace going for 20 years — at a cost of more than $370 billion.

“We are rebuilding the plane while we’re flying it,” said Pedro Pizarro,
the CEO of Edison International, the parent company of Southern
California Edison.

And even that won’t be enough, he said. To keep the lights on and the
cars charged, the company would have to continue to run its existing
fossil fuel-fired plants but equip them with costly technology designed
to capture carbon emissions before they are released into the
atmosphere. That nascent technology is not yet in commercial use and no
power plant in California currently uses it.

“It’s not that the emperor doesn’t have clothes, but the clothes are
pretty thin,” said Mr. Pizarro.

Some California companies say that while they find the Newsom climate
regime burdensome, they also see it as inevitable.

Hamid Moghadam, CEO of Prologis, a San Francisco-based company that
builds and leases warehouses for products ordered online from retailers
like Home Depot, said that his global business must comply with 19
California climate regulations, ranging from rules that limit carbon
dioxide emitted from cement manufacturing to restrictions on emissions
from the delivery trucks. The rules can add roughly 6 percent to project
costs, he said. “It drives up the cost of building, leasing and
maintaining the warehouses, which drives up the cost to the consumers.”

Still, he said, “the smart companies are looking at the climate thing as
a business opportunity and instead of fighting it, the forward-looking
ones that have the capital are embracing it. Twenty years from now we’ll
be looking at what we’re doing today in California as the norm.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/23/climate/gavin-newsom-california-climate-action.html

/[ Fire and other risk investments - 53 minute video  ]/
*Catastrophe for Sale | Planet Finance (5/6)*
vpro documentary
Aug 26, 2023
On Planet Finance, there is a market for almost anything. Even for a
future disaster that has not yet occurred and may never happen. As the
risks of climate change pile up, it appears that money can be made in
the Catbond Market on the risk of future wildfires, floods and hurricanes.
There is speculation on what the probability is that a catastrophe will
occur. And especially on how much damage it might cause. How does this
market work? And who are the winners and who are the losers?
- -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEwYDl5tl-s&t=2s

/[The news archive - looking back flood legacy ]/
/*October 25, 2013*/
October 25, 2013: On MSNBC's "The Cycle," writer David Gessner discusses
the grotesque legacy of Superstorm Sandy.
http://www.msnbc.com/the-cycle/watch/hurricane-sandy-one-year-later-56848963789#

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli