[✔️] September 12, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Air Conditioning, lessons, Polar increases, Stanford doom conjecture, Eco doom loops, Eco panelists, 2008 Keith Olberman

Tue Sep 12 07:51:55 EDT 2023

/*September *//*12, 2023*/

/[ Suddenly, we need AC, and we are not surprised --  audio NPR ]/
*Climate change causes another issue: an increased need for air
conditioners*
September 12, 2023
Heard on Morning Edition
FROM Montana Public Radio
By Aaron Bolton
As the climate changes, places where home air conditioning used to be
rare are now seeing a need for artificial cooling. It's a new expense
that's especially hard for people in low-income housin
https://www.npr.org/2023/09/12/1198877608/climate-change-causes-another-issue-an-increased-need-for-air-conditioners

/[ Once we do the right thing--- it might be decades before
stabilization  - 10 min video  ] /
*If we stop emitting... then what..?*
Climate Adam
  Sep 7, 2023  #ClimateChange
Burning fossil fuels is heating the planet. But if we quit our fossil
fuel habit and stop emitting greenhouse gases... what happens then?
Answers seem to vary from "global warming will stop" to "we can expect
more and more climate change to come". So which is right? And what would
it really take to stop climate change and protect ourselves as much as
possible?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Gol-EK1uE

/[  greater changes at the polar regions ]/
*Antarctic Temperature Amplification, Southern Ocean and Atmosphere
Circulation Changes and Heating*
Paul Beckwith
Sep 8, 2023
Since most of Earth’s population lives in the Northern Hemisphere (NH)
we tend to overlook the huge effects of Abrupt Climate System Change on
the Southern Hemisphere (SH).

In this video, I teach you the most recent scientific picture of the
destabilizing Antarctic region.

A new peer-reviewed scientific study was just published, and clearly
shows that Antarctic Temperature Amplification is accelerating.

We have known that Arctic Temperature Amplification is at least 4x, and
I have always argued it is between 5-8x. We also know that this has
slowed and made more wavy and fractured the northern hemisphere jet
streams, causing great increases in frequency, severity, and duration of
extreme weather events around the globe, as well as causing extreme
disruption in regions where they never happened before.

Well, now we know that Antarctic Temperature Amplification of at least
2x is also occurring. With the huge NH warming of the oceans and
atmosphere, more equatorial heat, including that from the strengthening
El Niño, is transported to the SH. Antarctic Sea Ice is quite literally
plummeting like a rock, and as we move into NH autumn, this SH spring,
the rising Sun in the SH will greatly increase temperatures there since
over 2.5 million square kilometres of sea ice is missing this year, for
the first time.

Climate disruption will be head-spinning and absolutely shocking over
the next few years, beyond anything we have seen this far. In other
words, climate disruption is just getting warmed up.

You ain’t seen anything yet!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czW9F5Zdgxs

///[ Yes, doomerism conjecture from an academic  ]/
*Can Our Collective Efforts Prevent Imminent Human Extinction with
Stephen Luby*
Stanford Alumni
Nov 21, 2022  GUNN BUILDING
The progressive destruction of earth’s biosphere, increasingly powerful
weapons, pandemics from synthetic pathogens and deployment of super
intelligent machines all threaten the extinction of Homo sapiens within
the next century. How should we think about these threats? How should we
respond to them?

Stephen Luby, is a professor of medicine (infectious diseases) and
senior fellow at the Woods Institute and the Freeman Spogli Institute
and professor, by courtesy, of epidemiology and population health. Dr.
Luby earned his medical degree from the University of Texas Southwestern
Medical School at Dallas and studied epidemiology and preventive
medicine at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; and is a
prolific researcher who, by working closely with local collaborators,
has conducted extensive work assessing pandemic risks and strategies to
reduce these risks. He is known for his work demonstrating the impact of
handwashing on disease reduction in low-income countries, characterizing
the epidemiology of Nipah virus transmission in Bangladesh, and
explicating the importance of unsafe injections for transmission of
hepatitis C in low-income countries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbE_IOfplk0

/[ The Ecologist -- Informed by Nature   -- ]/

    Appropriately, our top story this week concerns new research that
    suggests that the stresses on the environment – in particular the
    continued carbon pollution forcing climate breakdown – are bringing
    us closer to critical tipping points. It makes for difficult
    reading, but is another reminder of just how necessary and urgent
    our work is as environmental campaigners. I hope you find the
    report, in full below, useful.

*Ecological ‘doom loops’ edging closer*

Extreme events and rising stress levels are increasing the likelihood of
ecosystem collapse, say scientists.

Extreme weather events such as wildfires and droughts will accelerate
change in stressed systems, leading to quicker tipping points of
ecological decline, according to a new study published today in Nature
Sustainability.

The research team used computer modelling to look at four ecosystems
under threat to work out what factors might lead to tipping points,
beyond which collapse would be inevitable.

In some systems, the combination of adding new extreme events on top of
other ongoing stresses brought the timing of a predicted tipping point
closer to the present by as much as 80 per cent.

*Stresses*

Ultimately, say the authors, a “perfect storm” of continuous stress from
factors such as unsustainable land use, agricultural expansion and
climate change, when coupled with disruptive episodes like floods and
fires, will act in concert to rapidly imperil natural systems. “Over a
fifth of ecosystems worldwide are in danger of collapsing,” said
Professor Simon Willcock, who co-led the study. “However, ongoing
stresses and extreme events interact to accelerate rapid changes that
may well be out of our control. Once these reach a tipping point, it’s
too late.”

The team looked at two lake ecosystems and two forestry examples,
including the historic collapse of the Easter Island (Rapa Nui)
civilisation, widely thought to have been the result of over-population
combined with unsustainable exploitation of tree cover.

The models were run over 70,000 times for each ecosystem, with variables
adjusted on each occasion. Up to 15 per cent of collapses occurred as a
result of new stresses or extreme events, even while the main stress was
kept constant.

In other words, even if ecosystems are managed more sustainably by
keeping the main stress levels like deforestation constant, new stresses
like global warming and extreme weather events could still bring forward
a collapse.
*
**Tipping*

The number of extreme climate events has increased since 1980 and global
warming even at 1.5 °C will increase those numbers further. Scientists
are also concerned about possible knock-on effects as one collapsing
ecosystem impacts on neighbouring ecosystems.

“In the past two years, the world has come together around the climate
and ecological crises through the UN Climate Change and Biodiversity
Conferences,” said Willcock. “But we should remember that the causes of
the crises are interlinked – that they have already collided – and that
inaction over both may result in dire consequences.”
https://theecologist.org/2023/jun/22/ecological-doom-loops-edging-closer

/[ video hours of panel and individual presentations -- UK based -
building systems of resilience  ]/
*The Ecologist - Small is the Future*
Voice Media
Jun 17, 2023

    00:00:00 Countdown
    00:03:57 Introductions
    00:18:41 PANEL ONE
    01:52:39 PANEL TWO
    04:13:19 PANEL THREE
    05:55:16 PANEL FOUR

Leading economists, writers and activists come together in Bristol to
discuss how we solve our current ecological, social and economic crises.
Speakers include Ann Pettifor, Charlie Hertzog Young, Satish Kumar,
Herbert Girardet, Helen Browning, Gareth Dale and James Meadway.

This all day event has been organised by The Ecologist in partnership
with the Schumacher Institute in Bristol. The aim of the event is to
provide an educational opportunity to activists and organisers focused
on solutions to our current ecological, social and economic crises. The
event is the beating heart of the new Strategy for The Ecologist, which
will focus our work on investigating the fossil fuels economy,
discussing heterodox economics and systems theory, and developing a
vision for a regenerative future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJP0zZEsz94

/[The news archive - looking back radical Keith Olbermann ]/
/*September 12, 2008 */
September 12, 2008:

      In his "Bushed" segment, MSNBC's Keith Olbermann observes:

    "Number two: Blood for oil-gate.  You will recall that cat got out
    of the bag early this summer when ExxonMobil, Chevron, Shell, Total,
    BP, and a couple of other western companies got the first contracts
    to handle Iraqi oil in the post-Saddam era.  The contracts were,
    oddly enough, no-bid deals.  And they involve oil with which, we had
    been told in 2003, the Iraqis would pay for the entire cost of the
    war themselves.

    "Well, guess what?  The Iraqis have cancelled the deals.  On the
    other hand, Iraq has confirmed its first major post-Saddam oil
    contract with a major global player: the China National Petroleum
    Corporation.  So, we‘ve sent 4,100 Americans to their death in Iraq
    to make that country safe for big oil. Chinese big oil."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD53dyadmss

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/world/middleeast/11iraq.html?_r=0

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli