[✔️] Feb 29, 2024 Global Warming News | Freaked by the heat, Sabine Hossenfelder worries of climate scientist, Beckwith reads, Feb 29 is leap day

Thu Feb 29 02:21:34 EST 2024

/*February*//*29, 2024*/

/[  NYTimes noticed the heat ]/
*Scientists Are Freaking Out About Ocean Temperatures*
“It’s like an omen of the future.”
“The North Atlantic has been record-breakingly warm for almost a year
now,” said Brian McNoldy, a researcher at the University of Miami. “It’s
just astonishing.”
By David Gelles
Feb. 27, 2024
- -
For the past year, oceans around the world have been substantially
warmer than usual. Last month was the hottest January on record in the
world’s oceans, and temperatures have continued to rise since then. The
heat wave has been especially pronounced in the North Atlantic.

“The North Atlantic has been record-breakingly warm for almost a year
now,” McNoldy said. “It’s just astonishing. Like, it doesn’t seem real.”...
- -
“It’s quite scary, partly because I’m not hearing any scientists that
have a convincing explanation of why it is we’ve got such a departure,”
he said. “We’re used to having a fairly good handle on things. But the
impression at the moment is that things have gone further and faster
than we expected. That’s an uncomfortable place as a scientist to be.”

Spin the globe to the south, and the situation is similarly dire.

“The sea ice around the Antarctic is just not growing,” said Matthew
England, a professor at the University of New South Wales who studies
ocean currents. “The temperature’s just going off the charts. It’s like
an omen of the future.”...
- -
Yet the past year has come as a shock even to those who follow the data
closely.

“We all know that there’s been a rapid warming, particularly over the
last few decades,” Larter said. “But over the last 18 months, it’s
jumped up beyond what we expected.”
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2024/02/07/multimedia/27cli-newsletter-02/2024-02-07-sst-hottest-january-index-superJumbo-v2.png?quality=75&auto=webp...
Scientists are offering a range of explanations for the record heat in
the North Atlantic...
- -
The North Atlantic has been unusually clear lately, with fewer clouds
than normal to block the sunlight from heating the water. The area has
also been less windy than normal, which may have also led to a spike in
temperatures...
Recent research has suggested that as glaciers melt and more fresh water
enters the Atlantic, a crucial ocean current could falter, potentially
leading to drastic changes in global weather patterns, such as a rapid
reduction in temperatures across Europe.
McNoldy said it was too early to say whether the ongoing heat wave is
part of the early stages of such a change. “I hope it’s not something
much worse, like, you know, like some significant change in the ocean
current,” he said. “That would have far greater implications.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/27/climate/scientists-are-freaking-out-about-ocean-temperatures.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/27/climate/scientists-are-freaking-out-about-ocean-temperatures.html?unlocked_article_code=1.ZE0.3zf8.RINA0xDa_Zuz&smid=url-share

/[ Popular Web physicist accuses classic climate scientists of
confirmation bias - video  ]/
*I Was Worried about Climate Change. Now I worry about Climate Scientists.*
Sabine Hossenfelder
Feb 28, 2024  #climate #science
- -
Some climate scientists have reacted to my previous video about climate
sensitivity. In this video, I elaborate on my thoughts regarding the
IPCC's projections and why it worries me how they are dealing with the
uncertainty of the climate model outputs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEZ9HFlqzms

[ Beckwith reads aloud  ]
Feb 28, 2024
*I chat about the recent report by the WMO (World Meteorological
Organization) titled: “2023 STATE OF
CLIMATE SERVICES — HEALTH”*
Key messages In this report that I discuss in my video include most of
the following:

“The world is warming at a faster rate than at any point in recorded
history. Climate change undermines health determinants and increases
pressures on health systems, thereby threatening to reverse decades of
progress to promote human health and well-being, particularly in the
most vulnerable communities. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate
Change (IPCC) concludes, with very high confidence, that future health
risks of injury, disease and death will increase due to more intense and
frequent temperature extremes, cyclones, storms, floods, droughts and
wildfires. It is anticipated that over 50% of the excess mortality
resulting from climate change by the year 2050 will occur in Africa.

Health protection is a priority in almost all countries and requires
high-quality information to better inform decision-making. The majority
of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs)and National Adaptation
Plans (NAPs) prioritize the health sector. To systematically and
effectively address the challenges presented by climate variability and
change, the health sector needs to ensure that climate information and
services inform national assessments and policies.

Climate information and services are fundamental for better
understanding how and when health systems and population health can be
impacted by climate extremes and a changing climate, and for managing
climate-related risks. Tailored climate products and services can
enhance the evidence and information available to health sector partners
to detect, monitor, predict and manage climate-related health risks.
Examples of where health sector partners are successfully using climate
information and services are illustrated in the Case studies.

There is huge potential for enhancing the benefits of climate science
and climate services for health. Despite examples of success, data shows
that the health sector is underutilizing available climate knowledge and
tools. At the same time, climate services need to be further enhanced to
fully satisfy the health sector requirements. While 74% of National
Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs) provide climate data to
health actors, the uptake into mainstreamed health decision tools is
limited, with just 23% of Ministries of Health having a health
surveillance system that utilizes
meteorological information to monitor climate-sensitive health risks.
Data from WMO shows that only 31% of NMHSs provide climate services at a
“full” or “advanced” level of capacity, where co-production and
tailoring most often happen. This reflects a significant capacity gap to
be filled in order to increase the role that NMHSs can play in
supporting the health sector.

Extreme heat causes the greatest mortality of all extreme weather, yet
heat warning services are provided to health decision makers in only
half of the affected countries. Extreme heat services are expected to
rapidly increase by 2027 under the United Nations Early Warnings for All
initiative. The impacts of extreme heat and heatwaves are
underestimated, as heat-related mortality could be 30 times higher than
current estimates. Between 2000 and 2019, estimated deaths due to heat
were approximately 489 000 per year, with a particularly high burden in
Asia (45%) and Europe (36%).5
Every year poor air quality is responsible for millions of premature
deaths and is the fourth biggest killer by health risk factor. Concerns
relating to air quality, climate change and health are interlinked.
Climate mitigation action leading to reducing air pollution can save
lives. Despite this, only 2% of climate finance commitments made by
international
development funders in developing and emerging countries is explicitly
aimed at tackling air pollution (in 2015–2021).

There is insufficient investment to improve the capabilities of the
health sector and related climate services to deploy research and
integrated systems for effective climate adaptation and mitigation
related decision-making. This leaves the health sector ill-prepared to
safeguard the most vulnerable. Currently, just 0.2% of total bilateral
and multilateral adaptation finance supports projects that identify
health as the primary focus. There is insufficient investment for
developing human resource and operational capacities and the systems
needed to provide decision support for local adaptation and mitigation.

To fully harness the potential of climate services for health,
transformational change in institutional development and integration
across the health and climate sectors are needed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQkB3-p4XlY

/[The news archive - any leap day. ]/
/*February 29, 2024 */
*Leap Day Climate Information*
Weather.gov > Rapid City, SD > Leap Day Climate Information
Although Leap Day is not an official holiday, it is an interesting
event--and a climate conundrum: How do you compare February data when
some months have an extra day?  And because official meteorological
winter is December through February, Leap Day is the last day of winter,
which means Leap Years have an extra day of winter!

The following table shows the climate information for Rapid City, Lead,
Gillette, Winner, and Lemmon on Leap Day. Average highs around the area
on February 29 are in the upper 30s and lower 40s, with average lows in
the teens to lower 20s. A wide range of temperatures has occurred on
Leap Day, with record highs reaching the mid 60s to mid 70s, but record
lows are still 5 to 15 degrees below zero. February 29, 1992 was the
warmest Leap Day at all the sites, while the coldest temperatures
occurred in 1996, 1960, and 1912.

2004 set several daily precipitation and snowfall records. Snow was over
a yard deep in Lead on February 29, 1964, but record snow depths from
1936 still stand in Winner and Lemmon.

https://www.weather.gov/unr/Leap_Day_Weather

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli