[✔️] Jan 19. 2024 Global Warming News | Manchin driven out of restaurant, Republican conundrum, Naomi Oreskes, 1999 when Clinton knew.

Fri Jan 19 09:15:31 EST 2024

/*January*//*19, 2024*/

/[ Joe wilts when election politics heat up ]/
*Climate activists swarm Joe Manchin in restaurant before senator forced
to leave through kitchen*
Climate protesters disrupted Joe Manchin’s speech at a diner in New
Hampshire on Tuesday (16 January).

Activists from the Climate Defiance group, who previously shut down the
senator’s keynote speech at a Semafor event, chanted “Off fossil fuels
Manchin” at the Democrat.

The chanting appeared to begin after Mr Manchin said his greatest
concern is the “border crisis,” a video consisting of different clips
stitched together shows.

The group says they aim to use peaceful civil disobedience to call for
the end of fossil fuels and to elevate climate change to the top of the
political agenda.
https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/joe-manchin-climate-protest-fossil-fuel-b2480232.html

- -

/[ The Guardian covers the presidential campaign ]/
*Climate crisis ignored by Republicans as Trump vows to ‘drill, baby,
drill’*
The freezing temperatures in Iowa – fuelled by global heating – have not
dampened Republican enthusiasm for oil and gas
Oliver Milman  @olliemilman
Thu 18 Jan 2024
In the wake of an Iowa primary election chilled in a record blast of
cold weather – which scientists say may, counterintuitively, have been
worsened by global heating – Republican presidential candidates are
embracing the fossil fuel industry tighter than ever, with little to say
about the growing toll the climate crisis is taking upon Americans.

The remaining contenders for the US presidential nomination –
frontrunner Donald Trump, along with Nikki Haley and Ron DeSantis – all
used the Iowa caucus to promise surging levels of oil and gas drilling
if elected, along with the wholesale abolition of Joe Biden’s climate
change policies.

Trump, who comfortably won the Iowa poll, said “we are going to drill,
baby, drill” once elected, in a Fox News town hall on the eve of the
primary. “We have more liquid gold under our feet; energy, oil and gas
than any other country in the world,” the multiply indicted former
president said. “We have a lot of potential income.”

Trump also called clean energy a “new scam business” and went on a
lengthy digression on how energy is important in the making of donuts
and hamburgers. The Trump campaign has accused Biden of trying to
prevent Americans from buying non-electric cars – no such prohibition
exists – and even for causing people’s dishes to be dirty by imposing
new efficiency standards for dishwashers.

Haley, meanwhile, has called the Inflation Reduction Act, Biden’s
signature climate bill that provides tax credits for renewable energy
production and electric car purchases, a “communist manifesto” and used
the Iowa election to promise to “roll back all of Biden’s green
subsidies because they’re misplaced”. DeSantis, who came second in Iowa,
said that on his first day as president he would “take Biden’s Green New
Deal, we tear it up and we throw it in the trash can. It is bad for this
country.”

Last year was, globally, the hottest ever recorded, and scientists have
warned of mounting calamities as the world barrels through agreed
temperature limits. Last year, the US suffered a record number of
disasters costing at least $1bn in damages, with the climate crisis
spurring fiercer wildfires, storms and extreme heat.

Such concerns were largely unvoiced in frigid Iowa, however, apart from
by young climate activists who disrupted rallies held by Trump, Haley
and DeSantis. On Sunday, a 17-year-old activist from the Sunrise climate
group interrupted a Trump speech to shout: “Mr Trump your campaign is
funded by fossil fuel millionaires. Do you represent them, or ordinary
people like me?”

She was drowned out by boos from Trump supporters, and then scolded from
the stage by the former president, who told the activist to “go home to
mommy.” He then said the protester was “young and immature”.

The continued championing of fossil fuels, and dismissal of young
people’s worries about climate change, shows that the Republican
candidates are “determined to drag us into a chaotic world just to make
a bit more money”, said Aru Shiney-Ajay, executive director of Sunrise.

“Not a single Republican is addressing root causes of the climate
crisis. They’ve been bought out by oil and gas billionaires,” said
Shiney-Ajay, who added that young climate activists were also dismayed
at Biden, who has overseen a record glut of oil and gas drilling,
despite Republican claims he has hindered US energy production.
“The reality is that every presidential candidate, including Joe Biden,
is falling so far short of the climate ambition we need, despite there
being millions of lives at stake,” she said.

Some Republicans have warned that the party must take climate change
seriously if it is to remain viable electorally, with increasing numbers
of Americans alarmed about the impacts of global heating. “If
conservatives are scared to talk about the climate, then we’re not going
to have a seat at the table when decisions are made,” said Buddy Carter,
a Republican congressman from Georgia. “We are right on policy, so we
need a seat at the table.”

Still, polling has shown that the climate crisis remains of minor
importance to Republican voters, compared to issues such as the economy
and inflation, with just 13% of them saying it is a top priority in a
Pew survey last year. None of the party’s leading presidential
candidates have sought to significantly change this dynamic, to the
frustration of some climate-conscious conservatives.

“Republican candidates can’t lose sight of the big picture amid the
primary season,” said Danielle Butcher Franz, the chief executive of the
advocacy arm of the American Conservation Coalition, a conservative
climate group.

“Beyond the primary, the next Republican nominee must win over the
hearts and minds of young Americans by speaking to the issue they care
most about: climate change.”

Butcher Franz said there must be “more productive rhetoric and real
policy solutions from Republicans. The race for 2024 is an opportunity
to do so that no candidate has fully seized.”

Even if the candidates aren’t talking much about climate change, its
effects are still being directly felt as the Republican primary field
moves on to New Hampshire. Icily cold temperatures have gripped much of
the US – the Iowa caucus was the coldest on record – due to a blast of
Arctic-like weather that has triggered power blackouts, halted flights
and caused schools to shut in parts of the country.

The Arctic is heating up at four times the rate of the global average,
and scientists think this is affecting the jet stream, a river of strong
winds that steers weather across the northern hemisphere, and the polar
vortex, another current of winds that usually keeps frigid Arctic air
over the polar region. Both these systems risk becoming “wavier”, recent
research has found, meaning Arctic-like conditions can meander far
further south than normal.

The current blast of cold weather is “certainly much more likely given
how much the planet is warming” said Judah Cohen, a meteorologist at
Verisk Atmospheric and Environmental who has studied the phenomenon.
“There is scientific evidence that makes severe winter weather
consistent or explainable in a warming world. One does not negate the
other.”

Jennifer Francis, a climate scientist at Woods Hole Research Center,
said that while it seems counterintuitive, the science was “becoming
clear” that extreme cold spells will be a consequence of global heating.

“The irony is pretty rich” that Iowa has experienced such conditions
during a Republican presidential primary, Francis added. “Of course, the
deniers won’t see it that way, and won’t listen to any science that says
otherwise.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/jan/18/trump-republican-rivals-climate-crisis

/[ Conversation by two wise women talking climate destabilization - 40
min video ]/
*Climate is a Justice Issue | Naomi Oreskes*
Planet: Critical - Rachel Donald
Jan 17, 2024
Neoliberalism is the disease which keeps on killing.
But did you know the neoliberal economic gospel we live under today is a
deliberate misinterpretation of the original theory?

In her new book, The Big Myth: How American Business Taught Us to Loathe
Government and Love the Free Market, historian of science Naomi Oreskes
shows how a group of American plutocrats distorted the the conservative
teachings of Friedrich van Hayek’s theory of neoliberalism in order to
plunder the world’s resource, unleash the markets, and undermine federal
power.

She joins me today to give a incisive and brutal summary of why our
world is in crisis, detailing the criminal avarice of these plutocrats;
how institutions, lobbyists and corporations continue to undermine
democracy; and why a renewable world threatens the powers that be. This
phenomenal explanation shows why the climate crisis is not a scientific
problem, but a political, economic and social issue, with Naomi
revealing tactics civilians used throughout history against the
destructive elite.

🔴 Naomi's Harvard profile:
https://histsci.fas.harvard.edu/people/naomi-oreskes
🔴 The Big Myth: https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/big-myth-9781635573572/
🔴 Naomi's Twitter: https://twitter.com/naomioreskes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZk4Xjn6tEY

/[The news archive - and the previous year was a record-breaker  ]/
/*January 19, 1999 */
January 19, 1999: In his State of the Union address, President Clinton
declares, "But our most fateful new challenge is the threat of global
warming; 1998 was the warmest year ever recorded. Last year’s heat
waves, floods, and storms are but a hint of what future generations may
endure if we do not act now."
http://youtu.be/v3bZwSXjtCM

Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only -- and carries no images
or attachments which may originate from remote servers. Text-only
messages provide greater privacy to the receiver and sender. This is a
personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli