[YARDStick] YARDStick One with Windows 10 Host and VirtualBox Fedora 24 Guest OS

Roy Butler insatiant at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 00:00:17 EDT 2016

I had VirtualBox Additions installed, but not VirtualBox Extensions (on
latest 5.1.4).  I've done that now and am able to select USB 2.0 or 3.0
under VirtualBox->USB->Enable USB Controller.  With or without this though,
I just see the following USB devices in the VirtualBox GUI:

  Unknown device 8087:0A2A [0001]  - Bluetooth?
  MSI EPF USB [0110]

and under the Fedora host with 'lsusb':

  1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
  80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet - Mousepad?
  1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

This was with USB 2.0 enabled in VirtualBox.  USB 3.0 enabled didn't change
things.  Guest and host OS's both rebooted.

When I look at the "Unknown USB Device (Invalid Configuration Descriptor)"
of the YARDStick One in my Windows 10 host Device Manager, the error
reported is:

  Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)
  The USB device returned an invalid USB configuration descriptor

I'm not positive, but I think it's possible I'm hitting upon the described
issue in the threads I linked where Windows 10 rejects the device ID and
it's possibly not being passed on to VirtualBox as something valid to load
up.  I could certainly be wrong.  Any further ideas?

There may be something more to do with my VirtualBox setup, but w/o 'lsusb'
seeing it (while Windows 10 GUI says "USB device not recognized" when
plugged in), maybe the host OS has to see it as valid, even if it doesn't
interact.

Roy