[TheClimate.Vote] January 17, 2018 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Jan 17 07:27:29 EST 2018

/January 17, 2018/

[letters to Trump]
*106 Lawmakers Urge Trump: Restore Climate Change in National Security
Strategy
<https://insideclimatenews.org/news/16012018/military-climate-change-bipartisan-congress-letter-national-defense-strategy>*
The bipartisan letter says that as global temperatures become more
volatile and sea levels rise, military installations and communities are
increasingly at risk.
Phil McKenna
A bipartisan group of more than 100 members of Congress is urging
PresidentDonald Trump
<https://insideclimatenews.org/tags/donald-trump>to recognize climate
change as a national security threat.
U.S. Reps. Jim Langevin (D-R.I.) and Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.)wrote a
letter
<http://langevin.house.gov/sites/langevin.house.gov/files/documents/01-11-18_Langevin_Stefanik_Letter_to_POTUS_Climate_Change_National_Security_Strategy.pdf>to
the president signed by 106 members of Congress on Thursday in response
to the administration's failure to mention the risks ofclimate change
<https://insideclimatenews.org/topic/climate-change>in its National
Security Strategy, released last month. Eleven Republicans signed the
letter, including members of the House Armed Services, Foreign Affairs
and Intelligence committees...
The lawmakers urged the president to "reconsider this omission" in the
National Security Strategy.
David Titley, a retired rear admiral who is director of the Center for
Solutions to Weather and Climate Risk at Penn State, said "facts on the
ground" including the recent fires in California and the devastating
Atlantic hurricane season are moving the needle in Congress, which he
sees as a key driver for addressing climate change.
"Really, the long game is what Congress thinks," Titley said.
"Administrations come and go, but Congress passes laws and has a checkbook."
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/16012018/military-climate-change-bipartisan-congress-letter-national-defense-strategy

[Exxon Defense]
*Exxon Continues First Amendment Defense in Climate Fraud Probes
<https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2018/01/16/exxon-continues-first-amendment-defense-climate-fraud-probes/>*
By Karen Savage
Exxon continues to cry foul, alleging that two state attorneys general
are violating its First Amendment right to express its opinion on
climate change.
In a brief filed last week in New York, attorneys for Exxon once again
asserted that that investigations by Massachusetts Attorney General
Maura Healey and New York Attorney Eric Schneiderman are part of a
politically motivated conspiracy against the company and an attempt to
silence the oil giant through intimidation.
The filing was the latest effort by Exxon to thwart investigations by
the attorneys general into possible climate change-related deception by
the company...
In its most recent brief, attorneys for Exxon said the attorneys general
are targeting Exxon with "burdensome" and "harassing" investigations
because of the company's views on climate change. Attorneys also link
Healey and Schneiderman to climate activists who Exxon says are seeking
to "harass perceived political opponents" and "delegitimize" Exxon.
Attorneys for Healey call Exxon's allegations absurd, particularly
considering Exxon has taken the public stance of supporting the
overwhelming scientific consensus on climate change.
"Exxon asserts that Attorney General Healey has joined in an illegal
conspiracy to violate Exxon's rights because she does not agree with
Exxon's views about climate change. Yet Exxon also states that it now
endorses climate science, the existence of climate change, and efforts
to combat it—consistent with Attorney Healey's position," Healey's
attorneys wrote in a recent brief...
Schneiderman's attorneys said that for Exxon to prevail on a free speech
allegation, it must plead and prove its right to free speech has been
violated, something they contend Exxon has not done...
"These public statements demonstrate that, far from being muzzled, Exxon
regularly engages in corporate advocacy concerning climate change,"
wrote attorneys for Schneiderman, adding that a state investigation is
not a violation of Exxon's constitutionally protected rights...
Schneiderman also said that fraudulent statements are not protected by
the First Amendment.
Exxon fired back, alleging that not only are its statements protected
but also the company has been harmed by having to endure the "burden and
expense" of the investigations....
"This filing makes clear that, at a minimum, Exxon's prior disclosures
to investors, including Massachusetts investors, may not have adequately
accounted for the effect of climate change on its business and assets,"
attorneys for Healey wrote.
https://www.climateliabilitynews.org/2018/01/16/exxon-continues-first-amendment-defense-climate-fraud-probes/

[climate refugees]
*Study finds that global warming exacerbates refugee crises
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2018/jan/15/study-finds-that-global-warming-exacerbates-refugee-crises>*
Higher temperatures increase the number of people seeking asylum in the EU
John Abraham
The refugee crisis - particularly in the Mediterranean area - has
received large amounts of new attention in the past few years, with
people fleeing from Syria and entering the European Union emblematic of
the problem. There has been some research connecting this refugee
problem with changes to the climate
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2016/mar/18/worst-mediterranean-drought-in-900-years-has-human-fingerprints-all-over-it>.
In particular, the years preceding the Syrian refugee crisis were
characterized by a severe drought that reduced farm output and led to
economic and social strife there.
Separating out the influences of climate change from general social
instability may be impossible, because they are intimately linked. But
we do know that climate change can cause social and economic
instability. We also know that these instabilities can boil over into
larger problems that lead to mass exodus. The problem isn't knowing the
connection between climate and refugees exists - rather the problem is
quantifying it...
After making this connection to observations, the authors then projected
into the future. Using a collection of climate models that are able to
predict Earth's future climate, the authors estimated that on a
business-as-usual emissions pathway (where countries don't meaningfully
reduce greenhouse gas emissions), asylum applications will increase by
almost 200% by the end of the century. On the other hand, under a modest
warming scenario, where humans take some meaningful action to reduce
emissions, the increase falls to about 30%. Again, this shows that what
humans do today to combat climate change really matters...
What was also interesting is that temperature is a better metric for
this problem than precipitation. I wouldn't have guessed that initially;
my naïve expectation would be that precipitation changes would also be
very good at allowing prediction of asylum seekers. But it turns out
temperature is much better. The discussion by the authors also
demonstrated how many moving parts there are to this problem. Not only
are the economic, climate, and social situations in the source country
important, but those factors in the destination country are also
critical. People migrate to where they expect better conditions.

    The significance of our paper is that we are not looking at impacts
    in particular countries, but spillovers in the form of asylum
    applications. Most economic damage assessments examine the direct
    impact on a country, but countries are interlinked. So even if most
    of the economic damages occur in developing countries, there might
    be repercussions for developed countries.

    There is an existing literature on migration and refugees, but
    previous studies usually focus on one country at the time. We use
    data from all over the world (103 source countries that list asylum
    applications to the EU in every year 2000-2014) to systematically
    examine the relationship. We picked the European Union as
    destination country since it receives almost half of the asylum
    applications.

Questions about how climate change impacts us and what can be done to
stop or prepare for the changes. This paper takes us another step toward
answering those questions.
-
*Worst Mediterranean drought in 900 years has human fingerprints all
over it
<https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2016/mar/18/worst-mediterranean-drought-in-900-years-has-human-fingerprints-all-over-it>*
A new study shows that the current Mediterranean drought is likely the
worst in 900 years, probably due to human-caused intensification
...It's tricky to discern not only whether past extreme weather have
changed, but also whether human-caused global warming is a factor.
Scientists need high-quality records that go back many decades to see if
there is any trend towards increasing or decreasing extreme weather. But
weather is quite variable. We can see a rise or fall in extreme weather
events with no apparent cause, human or natural...
The title of the article, "Spatiotemporal drought variability in the
Mediterranean over the last 900 years
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2015JD023929/abstract;jsessionid=9E57689ED3903997119102CF87B9D660.f01t02>"
clearly indicates that this study considers almost a millennium of
drought records and focuses attention on the Mediterranean region.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2016/mar/18/worst-mediterranean-drought-in-900-years-has-human-fingerprints-all-over-it

[NYTimes]
*Climate change is altering lakes and streams, study suggests
<http://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/climate-change-is-altering-lakes-and-streams-study-suggests>*
NEW YORK (NYTIMES) - To scientists who study lakes and rivers, it seems
humans have embarked on a huge unplanned experiment.
By burning fossil fuels, we have already raised the concentration of
carbon dioxide in the atmosphere by 40 per cent, and we're on track to
increase it by much more. Some of that gas may mix into the world's
inland waters, and recent studies hint that this may have profound
effects on the species that live in them...
"We're monkeying with the very chemical foundation of these ecosystems,"
said Emily H. Stanley, a limnologist (freshwater ecologist) at the
University of Wisconsin-Madison. "But right now we don't know enough yet
to know where we're going. To me, scientifically that's really
interesting, and as a human a little bit frightening."..
Scientists began taking continuous measurements of carbon dioxide in the
atmosphere in the 1950s, and today they have more than six decades of
consistent readings. In the 1980s, oceanographers followed suit,
developing carbon dioxide sensors and deploying them across the planet...
Over the past three decades, they've chronicled a steady rise of carbon
dioxide in seawater.
Now that researchers have grown concerned about carbon dioxide levels,
they've been developing ways to reconstruct their history...
Weiss and her colleagues used this method to figure out the carbon
dioxide levels in four reservoirs in Germany from 1981 to 2015. They
reported Thursday in the journal Current Biology that the amounts
tripled in that time....
"We didn't really know what to expect," said Weiss. "But the speed of
acidification we find is quite fast."..
These tiny, shrimplike creatures filter algae and microbes from water.
They are devoured in turn by small fish, which are eaten by bigger fish.
If rising carbon dioxide were to affect water fleas, Weiss reasoned, it
could influence the entire lake ecosystem...
In another study, the team studied two species of mussels. One species
relaxed its muscles in water high in carbon dioxide, so that its shell
gaped open. The other species clamped its shell shut, so that it could
no longer filter food...
The chemistry of some inland waters causes a lot of carbon dioxide to be
converted into other compounds. Some lakes and streams may support a lot
of underwater plants that take up the gas, for instance, while others
may have microbes can release more of it.
Making matters even more complicated, the carbon dioxide levels in any
particular body of freshwater can change drastically over time with
swings in temperature and other conditions.
"You can have lakes where the carbon dioxide increases tenfold at
night," said Hasler.
In decades to come, as carbon dioxide levels continue to climb in the
atmosphere, Stanley speculated, the picture will only get more nuanced....
http://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/climate-change-is-altering-lakes-and-streams-study-suggests

[Council on Foreign Relations]*
**Clean Energy Might Reduce Global Warming, But What Will It Do to
Geopolitics?
<https://www.cfr.org/blog/clean-energy-might-reduce-global-warming-what-will-it-do-geopolitics>*
Varun Sivaram and Sagatom Saha
We imagine a future in which clean energy has substantially displaced
fossil fuels by midcentury, and we describe five ways that the
geopolitical landscape could shift as a result. Anticipating these
shifts will require farsighted policymaking to safeguard U.S. interests
and retain leadership through the transition from old to new energy
systems. Here are the five most important geopolitical implications of a
clean-energy future:
*1. America's Military Footprint in the Middle East Could Shrink*
In a plausible future in which electric vehicle sales skyrocket and
countries around the world stock up on strategic petroleum reserves, the
U.S. economy will require less oil to function and will be more
resilient to potential supply shocks. This could clear the way for
America to scale back its longstanding strong military presence in the
Middle East...
*2. Russia and China Could Dominate the Nuclear Industry, Thwarting U.S.
Geopolitical Goals*
  ...Russia and China, America's two greatest geopolitical rivals, lead
the growing market. They may use their dominance in nuclear exports to
build up coteries of client states willing to advance their geopolitical
interests. In a double whammy, global nuclear security standards—an
important U.S. security concern—might degrade under Russian and Chinese
leadership of the nuclear industry...
*3. A Modernized Power Grid Could Strengthen North American Cooperation
but Create Cyber-Threats*
...While these technologies will help grid operators manage the complex
two-way, decentralized electricity flows, they also expose the United
States to cybersecurity risks...
*4. The Rise of Clean Energy Could Provoke Global Trade Wars*
...the benefits an energy-dependent nation could yield from domestically
producing and exporting its own energy may outweigh any penalty from
flouting international trade rules. Yet the slow erosion of trade norms
could threaten the global trade order from which the United States has
reaped prosperity.
*5. America's Stance on Climate and Clean Energy Technology Leadership
Could Profoundly Affect Its Global Standing*
As climate change rises on many countries' diplomatic agendas, so too
would the benefits that America yields from helping other nations
address it. Such a strategy would also grease the wheels of diplomacy in
other international arenas critical to U.S. interests. By contrast, if
the United States cedes leadership to countries such as China, it will
not only jeopardize prospects for limiting climate change but also
alienate allies and adversaries alike...
Now it is up to U.S. policymakers to determine whether the shifting
energy landscape will serve America's interests or force it to cede its
privileged position at the center of global geopolitics.
https://www.cfr.org/blog/clean-energy-might-reduce-global-warming-what-will-it-do-geopolitics

[Speaking Notes #8]
OXFORD CHANGE AGENCY EVENT - REPORT
*Agency in individual and collective change
<http://www.climatepsychologyalliance.org/explorations/papers/257-oxford-change-agency-event-report>*
Climate Psychology Alliance with Living Witness
A day for psychological and social practitioners to share our
experiences of enabling positive
*Mindfulness and Nature Connection, led by Nadine Andrews*
Reflection from Susan Johnson
I enjoyed a playful session of mindfulness and nature-connection
exercises led by Nadine Andrews.
We tracked the sensations in our bodies; practiced recognising stones
with our eyes closed through
touch; connected with trees and plants in the garden after humbly asking
their permission; and
practiced interdependence and raised awareness as we were led around the
garden with our eyes
shut. This brought an aliveness to my body that nourished me deeply. For
me these exercises
supported an ongoing journey into embodied understanding of my place in
the world which
profoundly deepens my sense of calm and connectedness and my ability to
engage with what Joanna
Macy calls the "Great Turning" - the waking up of society towards a
life-sustaining civilization.
Experiencing the "unbending arm" was perhaps the most surprising
exercise - the simple effect of
imagining a flow of water running through my arm into the distance as I
held it out in front of
me, made it so much harder for a colleague to force it to bend compared
to the usual approach of
clenching muscles. This simply and compellingly demonstrated the very
real power that arises from an
embodied connectedness to the world rather than facing a threat with a
sense of isolation and
aloneness.
http://www.climatepsychologyalliance.org/explorations/papers/257-oxford-change-agency-event-report

[blog]
*New Creation News <http://newcreationews.blogspot.com/>*
News of the planet and the nexus of culture, ecology, justice, and
spirituality.
This is what Margaret Wheatley wrote about our predicament in her 2012
book, So Far From Home - Lost and Found in our Brave New World
<http://margaretwheatley.com/books-products/books/far-home/>:

    As change agents, activists, concerned citizens, caring human
    beings, we are attempting to change a global culture that has
    emerged. How many people on the planet are happy with what's going
    on? Scarcely any. Most of us are appalled by the aggression,
    materialism, and greed now so commonplace... We speak out against
    corporate power, the deterioration of democracy, the loss of equity
    and opportunity, poverty, diseases the annihilation of species and
    culture....
    The global culture, with all its tragedies and injustices, is an
    emergent phenomenon. We have to accept this terrifying fact. It came
    to be from the convergence of many forces and now possesses
    characteristics that weren't there until it emerged. It has become a
    world where the values of greed, self-interest, and oppressive power
    emerged at a global scale and now supersedes all other values. Many
    of us, most of us, don't want it to be this way. We still aspire to
    work from values of justice, community, compassion, love. And we
    need to keep on with this absolutely. But no matter how well we
    embody these values, no matter how important our work is, we have to
    hold it differently...

Wheatley is not sanguine or romantic about the nature of this process
and how hard it is to accept. Nor does she reach for some New Age or
Conscious Evolution sort of spirituality that removes us from this basic
drama. "Dark nights," she writes, "are...excellent examples of how chaos
works to create more capacity; like all living systems, we first have to
fall apart before we can figure out how to reorganize ourselves to fit
the new environment. This is the role of despair - it causes us to fall
apart."

    We are approaching a great climax in our history when our industrial
    prowess and expansion across the planet, our technological genius
    and ability to ravage the Earth for the resources required for that
    expansion are crashing into inevitable limits - and not only
    planetary limits, but also limits of what we can bear - morally,
    psychologically, emotionally, and spiritually - as we witness
    collectively, by way of all that technology, the scale of
    destruction of the planet and the cruelty embedded at the heart of
    the greed and material satisfaction that has driven this economic
    culture.

 From this perspective, the point is not to try to fix it, but to let it
go, and in that letting go, we break with its logic, with its energy,
and we become available for the next emergence to unfold through us, to
be created through us, having no idea what it will look like, what that
next world will be.
Video: The Shambhala Warrior Prophecy
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fVqrFNIRAc>
We are living in extraordinary times. Let's put our best talents,
creativity, skills, and wisdom in service of the emergent new life that
is rising up all around us, even in the midst of the collapse of the old.
Margaret Swedish
http://newcreationews.blogspot.com/

<http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/2008/11/07/michael-crichton-author-of-state-of-fear-leaves-global-warming-disinformation-legacy/>*This
Day in Climate History January 17, 2006
<http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/2008/11/07/michael-crichton-author-of-state-of-fear-leaves-global-warming-disinformation-legacy/>
-  from D.R. Tucker*
January 17, 2006: The Fred Barnes book "Rebel-in-Chief: Inside the
Bold and Controversial Presidency of George W. Bush" is released. In
the book, Barnes notes that in 2005, Bush had a private meeting with
overrated novelist and climate-change denier Michael Crichton, during
which Bush and Crichton "were in near-total agreement" about the
supposed alarmism of climate activists.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/19/national/19warming.html?pagewanted=print&_r=0
http://scienceblogs.com/intersection/2006/02/16/the-full-barnes-treatment-of-b/
http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/2008/11/07/michael-crichton-author-of-state-of-fear-leaves-global-warming-disinformation-legacy/
to news clippings. /

        *** Privacy and Security: * This is a text-only mailing that